PDA

View Full Version : lens help needed

Taz
24th February 2012, 11:30 PM
OK so when I get my dslr be it a e510 or e620 I will be after a long lens, hopefully 300mm plus. so apart from the genuine 4/3 lens's what else will fit and do i need any special adapters to make say the om lens's fit ? what do I go for ?
obviousley I am limited by cost and i would need to get something for around 150 ish, so what do i go for as best bang for buck
thanks

gregles
24th February 2012, 11:39 PM
Best you can do for around that price would be the 70-300.

Second hand this will be over 200 but worth every penny.

Taz
25th February 2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks that's what I thought, will have to look round for a s/h bargain

cliff
25th February 2012, 01:16 AM
The EC-14 tele converter works quite well with this lens (70-300), not cheep but a good way to extend the reach, the EC-20 is a bit to much

blaggard
25th February 2012, 01:55 AM
I paid 220 for a 70-300 recently and I love it, I already have a 500mm Samyung reflector with doubler but the quality of the Zuiko is way higher and since the Zuiko is effectively 100mm greater I only really use the reflector with the x2 for moon shots at the moment.
Go for it, quality lens for small layout.

Phill D
25th February 2012, 06:45 AM
Yes the 70-300 is a really good lens for the price. It has its foibles in af partcularly but well worth getting used to. Its pretty good at macro too especially for insects as it can do macro from a reasonable distance.

Falk
25th February 2012, 08:42 AM
I guess you can mount about any old manual lens via the correct "to-4/3-adapter". Question is, if there is any good quality photo to be had - at least from lenses for the money you have?!

I had high hopes when I got myself a T2-to-4/3-adapter shortly after my first DSLR (E-520). Because I had a 500mmF8 mirror lens collecting dust since 20yrs. and wanted to give it a good workout - at last. But, it was and still is a total disapointment and NOT worth a try. I wouldn't mind the doughnut shaped bokeh if I get the extended reach in exchange for it, but the resolution delivered by this kind of lens is so low, the 4/3-sensor needs to interpolate 2 out of 3 pixles IMO. Rubbish! (They might still work on a full frame sensor though.)
Because you are after really long lenses, I assumed these might be tempting because they are offered so cheap (for a reason!). My advise is: stay away from that kind of lens.

Falk

Taz
25th February 2012, 10:04 AM
thanks guys, you have confirmed my initial thoughts, when I had my E410 I bought the zuiko 70-300 brand new, but it was about 299 which is more than i can afford right now, I got some nice shots of the moon with it, always fancied a 400mm or 500mm really though as I do some wildlife shooting but i am disabled so can't walk very far, hence the need for a long lens