PDA

View Full Version : EVF-2 on OM-D?

Paul19
20th February 2012, 05:35 AM
I'm excited about the built in EVF on the new OM-D, but have a bizarre question. However the reason for the question first:
I use a lightweight (and costly) Benro tripod with my PEN E-P2, part of the weight saving is that it does not reach very high so I use the EVF-2 on my camera looking down into the viewfinder (much like the days of having a TLR camera).
When I purchase an OM-D (saving furiously, and an E-P2 will be on the market), I can semi squat to look through the viewfinder or flip out the touch screen to compose a picture. Neither approach is ideal, but looking down into the camera via a flip-up EVF-2 would do the trick,
So my question is: Will the EVF-2 fit onto the OM-D and will it work as an alternate viewfinder?
Paul

StephenL
20th February 2012, 07:41 AM
Apparently so. I hope to try it when mine arrives. It could be useful for low-down critical-focus work.

Ross the fiddler
20th February 2012, 07:45 AM
G'day Paul.
I believe 'yes' is the answer to this, as I'm sure (I think *erm) this has been confirmed by Toshi Terada when he was interviewed when the O-MD was first announced.

Kiwi Paul
20th February 2012, 09:26 AM
I think so too, there is a photo online somewhere (an official Oly pic I think too) showing the OM-D with the VF2 setup in that way, I can't remember where the photo was.

Paul

Ulfric M Douglas
20th February 2012, 05:21 PM
If you have a very narrow face you could use one EVF for each eye in portrait orientation ... :eek:

StephenL
20th February 2012, 06:02 PM
If you have a very narrow face you could use one EVF for each eye in portrait orientation ... :eek:

Or a very thin nose :D

Paul19
20th February 2012, 10:15 PM
Or a very thin nose :D

Now you're being silly! But thanks all, I'm much encouraged.
Paul

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:23 PM
I'm excited about the built in EVF on the new OM-D, but have a bizarre question. However the reason for the question first:
I use a lightweight (and costly) Benro tripod with my PEN E-P2, part of the weight saving is that it does not reach very high so I use the EVF-2 on my camera looking down into the viewfinder (much like the days of having a TLR camera).
When I purchase an OM-D (saving furiously, and an E-P2 will be on the market), I can semi squat to look through the viewfinder or flip out the touch screen to compose a picture. Neither approach is ideal, but looking down into the camera via a flip-up EVF-2 would do the trick,
So my question is: Will the EVF-2 fit onto the OM-D and will it work as an alternate viewfinder?
Paul

I answered this - with some pictures - here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=151907#post151907

I don't see why using the screen flipped up is not as good as using the VF flipped up?

Ian

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:24 PM
Apparently so. I hope to try it when mine arrives. It could be useful for low-down critical-focus work.

UM, that's what the flip-up screen is for!

Ian

Ross the fiddler
21st February 2012, 01:43 AM

Ian

And for portrait mode, use a mirror. ;)

I still like my E-30 for those occasions. *yes

trailer
21st February 2012, 09:20 AM
Ian,

Thanks for your input on the other thread to my question.

The reason I prefer the EVF tilted is for when I use manual lenses. I have a 500mm Samyang mirror for instance which takes a fair bit of time to get it focussed. If I'm crouched down the tilting EVF is easier to use than cranking your neck!

StephenL
21st February 2012, 10:15 AM

Ian

Well, I find I can attain fine focus easier with my eye against an eyepiece than by looking at an LCD, even when magnified. Must be an age thing!

Graham_of_Rainham
21st February 2012, 12:50 PM
As we all get older, the bending/laying down to see through the VF becomes ever more effort. :o

My "ultimate" accessory would be an extension lead that allows the EVF to be used at eye level with the camera mounted at ground level.

Currently I do this teathered with Studio or with a 5" LCD TV as a remote VF. To be able to do this with a simple EVF extension lead would make it so much more portable and easier to use. :cool:

Ross the fiddler
21st February 2012, 01:00 PM
As we all get older, the bending/laying down to see through the VF becomes ever more effort. :o

My "ultimate" accessory would be an extension lead that allows the EVF to be used at eye level with the camera mounted at ground level.
Currently I do this teathered with Studio or with a 5" LCD TV as a remote VF. To be able to do this with a simple EVF extension lead would make it so much more portable and easier to use. :cool:

Now you're talking! *yes An extension port (cable) to take a VF2 or VF3 would be useful. That could also be used for a number of accessories too. Maybe a third party manufacturer might take up the idea if Olympus doesn't.

I know what you mean about not been able to get down (it takes a lot to get back up again).

Paul19
21st February 2012, 09:53 PM
I answered this - with some pictures - here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=151907#post151907

I don't see why using the screen flipped up is not as good as using the VF flipped up?

Ian

Thanks for the link Ian. Re your quote; if the screen (whether flipped up or not) was as good as a VF then there would be no point in the new OM-D having a VF built in :confused:. Paul

DJMC
11th June 2012, 04:37 PM

Ian

....but what about when sunshine (remember that?) makes it difficult to see the screen? That's why most use the VF-2/3.