PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Surprise.

kidslateinlife
19th February 2012, 11:59 PM
I was not looking forward to my birthday on the 17th of Feb, just another year to add to the few I've seen already.
The night before my birthday, I received an email via a Flickr/Getty image colaboration, the email invited 5 of my images for review and that I should upload the highest resolution images I could.
I was sceptical, however I followed it through and was thrilled that so far 4 out of the 5 have been accepted and currently on sale, with the 5th in review.

The images they chose were primarily of my youngest kids and taken quite early in my photographic journey, I am actually quite pleased to have received the news on my birthday, more from a proud father point of view.

The other good bit of news is that it is now going to be somewhat easier to justify any future equipment expenditure to my dearest.

BobS
20th February 2012, 05:21 PM
I was not looking forward to my birthday on the 17th of Feb, just another year to add to the few I've seen already.
The night before my birthday, I received an email via a Flickr/Getty image colaboration, the email invited 5 of my images for review and that I should upload the highest resolution images I could.
I was sceptical, however I followed it through and was thrilled that so far 4 out of the 5 have been accepted and currently on sale, with the 5th in review.

The images they chose were primarily of my youngest kids and taken quite early in my photographic journey, I am actually quite pleased to have received the news on my birthday, more from a proud father point of view.

The other good bit of news is that it is now going to be somewhat easier to justify any future equipment expenditure to my dearest.

Congratulations in getting those images accepted and also a belated Happy Birthday!

If you've done that well, do you really need any more equipment?:D

kidslateinlife
20th February 2012, 08:05 PM
Congratulations in getting those images accepted and also a belated Happy Birthday!

If you've done that well, do you really need any more equipment?:D

Hi Bob, *wave

My sincerest thank's for the birthday wishes etc.

I have invested a lot into my current kit, but the irony is that three of the images that have gone on sale, were taken with my 40-150mm. 2 were with my trusty 14-54mm, all taken on my E520.

I don't really need more kit, just more ...time.

Best Regards

Alan.

BobS
21st February 2012, 10:05 AM
Hi Bob, *wave

I have invested a lot into my current kit, but the irony is that three of the images that have gone on sale, were taken with my 40-150mm. 2 were with my trusty 14-54mm, all taken on my E520.

Best Regards

Alan.

That doesn't surprise me. Some of my best images were taken with a 5 MP Samsung compact! :)

Chevvyf1
5th August 2012, 04:32 AM
Hi Bob, *wave

Best Regards

Alan.

I have just seen this ! C o n g r a t u l a t i o n ' s :D Alan

Kits is easy you just squirrel away funds and BUY IT ! Now time :confused: that is the hard one :eek: as with Togging you need the light ( well for most shots) so it has to be daytime :cool:

kidslateinlife
5th August 2012, 10:08 AM
I have just seen this ! C o n g r a t u l a t i o n ' s :D Alan

Kits is easy you just squirrel away funds and BUY IT ! Now time :confused: that is the hard one :eek: as with Togging you need the light ( well for most shots) so it has to be daytime :cool:

Bless you Chevvy,

6 months later, and no sales..... hey-ho my expectations were not high, what I have learned though is that the quality of photography is not necessarily linked to a sale.... capturing an emotion is important regardless of the equipment it was captured on, if the image is perfect then it's a bonus.

I recently submitted 5 more images, which in my opinion were better quality/better taken images, and they were rejected by Getty..

As for spending more money, and E5 is on the list a bit nearer christmas, and in the meantime, I will continue to learn the "craft" with the guidance of the good folks here at Olympus UK.

As for time............ You said it, "that's a hard one"

Best wishes....Alan xxx

Chevvyf1
5th August 2012, 06:24 PM
Bless you Chevvy,

6 months later, and no sales..... hey-ho my expectations were not high, what I have learned though is that the quality of photography is not necessarily linked to a sale.... capturing an emotion is important regardless of the equipment it was captured on, if the image is perfect then it's a bonus.

I recently submitted 5 more images, which in my opinion were better quality/better taken images, and they were rejected by Getty..

As for spending more money, and E5 is on the list a bit nearer christmas, and in the meantime, I will continue to learn the "craft" with the guidance of the good folks here at Olympus UK.

As for time............ You said it, "that's a hard one"

Best wishes....Alan xxx

Alan, Am I right in thinking you want to go serious Pro and ,make money ?

Did Getty say why they reected the images ? maybe it was file size ? I think they want super big files ? ... whihc even the E-5 may onlyu just make ?

as for time well on the days we have six kids i AM knackered IN TH EEVENINGS AND NEED sATURDAY FOR A LAY IN AND RE CHARGE AND suNDAY FOR me :) SO HOW YOU AND YOUR GOOD LADY MANAGE :( WHO KNOWS :(

kidslateinlife
5th August 2012, 10:44 PM
Alan, Am I right in thinking you want to go serious Pro and ,make money ?

No, I don't want to go pro, I think I am many years away from considering myself as highly competent, I am still struglling a little with apertures. I have a good grasp on composition, thanks to my art backround, but I was not even a very good artist... just mediocre.

Did Getty say why they reected the images ? maybe it was file size ? I think they want super big files ? ... whihc even the E-5 may onlyu just make ?

When Getty picked my images on Flickr, they make you a member of their club, the club allows you to submit an amount of images each month, and they revue them over the next 2 months, then if they want the images they send you a message, no message means NO.

But, yes they want big files, which I managed to fake for my first uploads, which were shot as jpeg, I increased the file size in photoshop. The image in my gallery of the lighthouse was the first chosen, and it was only a tiny file.

as for time well on the days we have six kids i AM knackered IN TH EEVENINGS AND NEED sATURDAY FOR A LAY IN AND RE CHARGE AND suNDAY FOR me :) SO HOW YOU AND YOUR GOOD LADY MANAGE :( WHO KNOWS :(

I am quite lucky, as I go to work 6 days, so I don't have to do too much, but I can assure you that my good lady is unique..... and in her second year of being clear of breast cancer.

Women are remarkable Chevvy, I have no doubt you are equally unique, but some women are just beyond comprehension when it comes to inner strength, and their ability to cope under the most amazing circumstances.

Thank you kindly Chevvy, you are a wonderful and caring character on the forum, most appreciated.

Alan xxxxxx

gregles
5th August 2012, 11:45 PM
I have 5 images for sale with Getty Alan:) Much to my surprise and obvious financial delight one of them has been sold twice*yes In March to the BBC and in June to the Canadian Yellow Pages:cool:

It is a shot of my wee boy Lewis running across the mud, I mean beach, at sunset at Powfoot:)

You can see it here:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d2l34

The huge royalties amount to $7.39 from both sales so far*chr I'll no be changing the car just yet:)

Greg

Chevvyf1
6th August 2012, 06:09 AM
Alan, thats amazing Your wife is a strong of mind and body woman - 2 years clear and counting - I hope it keeps adding years and decades too, very soon:)

I am always amazed by women from the past - my Gran an our childhood neighbour - were stoic ! Both old (over 60 then) and infirm and out on their bicycles every day - getting shopping for either ill women, half their age, with young children, ill or not !

My Motorcycle Club :eek was invited in 1999 to do a bit of "fast riding" for a TV prog - it was sold on to Men & Motors who cut off some of the women after they parked up and took off Lids - because some were over 85 and drove lorries; ambulances and messenger motorbikes in WW II

I roll about thinking about it - as all leather clad on fast bikes, in blurred background - we were all slim size 8 or 10, to 12 then many with long hair trailing the collar of our jackets - and men get excited :) if only they saw all of us without our lids on :)

Chevvyf1
6th August 2012, 08:40 AM
I have 5 images for sale with Getty Alan:) Much to my surprise and obvious financial delight one of them has been sold twice*yes In March to the BBC and in June to the Canadian Yellow Pages:cool:

It is a shot of my wee boy Lewis running across the mud, I mean beach, at sunset at Powfoot:)

You can see it here:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01d2l34

The huge royalties amount to $7.39 from both sales so far*chr I'll no be changing the car just yet:)

Greg

Greg, THAT is a STUNNING image ! but only $7.39 :eek: I do not properly title & index mine - rarely is there anything other than the frame no and edits legends ... although Flickr sent me a?river and getty invite - but I just deleted them :( - slightly off track - but I prefer ti print A5 images and drop them into 3 fold cards and sell them to friends, family, neighbours and heir friends and family ... et al ... AND I give them away (in 12's) as Christmas Prezzies ... sometimes I approach a specific magazine with a relevant shot - some of my Red Poppy shots over the years have been on many front covers ... and two newspapers :D and for lots more than $7.39- but I did the leg works :)

Barkly
6th August 2012, 08:44 AM
Happy birthday and congrats.

kidslateinlife
6th August 2012, 08:51 AM

Greg

It's a lovely image, and typifies the kind of image that they like to sell, and as I said before, it's not about the money....... ( although for some people it clearly is on the flickr/getty site)

To have that on the BBC site is frankly excellent, I would be so proud and thrilled, beyond price.

Well done!!!

kidslateinlife
6th August 2012, 09:05 AM
Alan, thats amazing Your wife is a strong of mind and body woman - 2 years clear and counting - I hope it keeps adding years and decades too, very soon:)

I am always amazed by women from the past - my Gran an our childhood neighbour - were stoic ! Both old (over 60 then) and infirm and out on their bicycles every day - getting shopping for either ill women, half their age, with young children, ill or not !

My Motorcycle Club :eek was invited in 1999 to do a bit of "fast riding" for a TV prog - it was sold on to Men & Motors who cut off some of the women after they parked up and took off Lids - because some were over 85 and drove lorries; ambulances and messenger motorbikes in WW II

I roll about thinking about it - as all leather clad on fast bikes, in blurred background - we were all slim size 8 or 10, to 12 then many with long hair trailing the collar of our jackets - and men get excited :) if only they saw all of us without our lids on :)

Typical of us males....... I can't say I would'nt have my jaw on the floor at the same imagery of some leather biking ladies.

But, I make no apologies for my default male birth, we are all only human.

Reminds me of the current advertisement on TV of a little old lady comparing two diffrent kind's of orange juice, one has bits in it she can see, which she obviously likes.... just like the olympic runners in their shorts.