PDA

View Full Version : OM-D E-M5 Buffer Size

Sandhurst
18th February 2012, 12:35 PM
Have any details been released on the buffer size for the E-M5 yet ? I've downloaded the english version of the manual, but can't seem to find much information about the buffer size.

I've seen from various reviews that Oly are claiming 9 fps for sequential drive using fixed focus and around 4 fps using continuous AF, but there isn't any mention of how long this can be maintained for. 1 sec ? 2 secs ? Does anyone know ? Also I wondered if this was for raw or jpg ?

Any help gratefully received. TIA

Ian
18th February 2012, 01:03 PM
I tested a pre-production sample using a standard Class 10 SDHC card and a Lexar Pro 600x UHS-1 card. Shooting RAW the standard card recorded 11 frames at 9fps before stalling and this is consistent with Olympus' published details. Once the buffer stalled it took 23 seconds for the buffer to empty. Using the Lexar Pro card I was able to shoot 13 frames and the buffer emptied in 10 seconds. Using RAW+Super Fine JPEG didn't seem to be different to shooting RAW on its own.

You can shoot more frames if shooting JPEG and you can continuously shoot JPEGs until the card is full using a Class 10 card at the L (low) speed 4.2fps setting.

Ian

PS A Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, which also has a 16MP sensor, will shoot 26 RAW frames continuously at 10fps, but of course one of those costs three and a half times more :)

Sandhurst
18th February 2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the info and the speedy reply. It's a shame they don't put this in the manual.

One more question. I read somewhere (I think it was43rumors.com) that the fps rate dropped from 4.2 fps if using image stabilisation. Something along the lines of a drop to 3 fps. Is this something you've heard of ? It's not a deal breaker per se, but it would be nice to knw before purchase.

TIA

Ian
18th February 2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the info and the speedy reply. It's a shame they don't put this in the manual.

One more question. I read somewhere (I think it was43rumors.com) that the fps rate dropped from 4.2 fps if using image stabilisation. Something along the lines of a drop to 3 fps. Is this something you've heard of ? It's not a deal breaker per se, but it would be nice to knw before purchase.

TIA

You know - I can't remember if IS was on! I don't remember switching it off. I just set the camera to 1/500th to avoid slow down because of the shutter and also to RAW and then shot bursts timing the buffer recovery time.

When the buffer is stalled you can still shoot at a lower shooting rate; the camera is not locked up.

Coming to think of it - IS was on when I was using the camera at H speed earlier in the day and it did not feel slowed down. So I don't think IS slows high speed continuous shooting. The main thing is that if you want C-AF you need to use the L mode (4.2 fps).

Ian

Sandhurst
18th February 2012, 02:21 PM
Thanks Ian,

That's sounds good. I can live with around 4 fps.

Cheers

drmarkf
18th February 2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks Ian,
That's sounds good. I can live with around 4 fps.

Yes, agreed. It's fine.
It would be nice to have a reasonably compact f2.8 mFT tele zoom to use it with, though... I'll have to wait for that, and for the 1.4 teleconverter :)

Ulfric M Douglas
19th February 2012, 08:25 AM
... if shooting JPEG and you can continuously shoot JPEGs until the card is full using a Class 10 card at the L (low) speed 4.2fps setting.
Is this the case for any other m4/3rds camera?
How much costee class 10 cards?

drmarkf
19th February 2012, 10:21 AM
Is this the case for any other m4/3rds camera?
How much costee class 10 cards?

Quite a choice here (ranging from Class 2 - 10):

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cat=6&type=6021&man=0&go=GO&comp=

Ian
19th February 2012, 10:21 AM
Class 10 cards are inexpensive - from just under 20 depending on brand for a 16GB example. High speed UHS-1 cards. UHS-1 16GB cards are around 40. You also need a USB3.0 card reader to make most of the fast read speed when downloading to your computer.

Ian

Ian
19th February 2012, 12:53 PM
I ought to add that there is a range of performance from different UHS-1 cards. Some appear to be very fast at read out speed but slower at write speed (and write speed is what counts with in-camera performance). I brought a variety of cards with me and the fastest was a Lexar Pro 600X SDHC card, but you will expect to pay around 60 for one of these.

I don't think that any of the current Pens supports UHS-1 speed but UHS-1 cards are backwards compatible with standard SDHC slots.

Ian

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:45 AM
I have been in touch with Toshi Terada and apparently IS does reduce the continuous shooting rate. Even if that is so, it wasn't obviously noticeable, but of course full testing of a production sample of the E-M5 will reveal all.

Ian