PDA

View Full Version : High ISO comparison between the Olympus Pen E-P3 and OM-D E-M5

Four Thirds User
17th February 2012, 07:50 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

Examine back to back high ISO sample images comparing the Pen E-P3 and a pre-production OM-D E-M5.

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/02/high_iso_comparison_between_the_olympus_pen_ep3_an d_omd_em5.php)

Ian
17th February 2012, 08:11 PM
If you want my opinion, the E-P3 noise at somewhere inbetween ISO 6400 and ISO 12800 is comparable to the E-M5 noise at ISO 25600, but the E-M5 ISO 25600 shows more shadow detail than the E-P3 at ISO 6400. If you try to match the E-M5 at ISO 12800 with the E-P3, again, I think it's about one and a half EVs difference.

You might consider it to be more because the E-P3 images at the same settings and same lighting are a bit darker than the E-M5.

Ian

Zuiko
17th February 2012, 10:06 PM
If you want my opinion, the E-P3 noise at somewhere inbetween ISO 6400 and ISO 12800 is comparable to the E-M5 noise at ISO 25600, but the E-M5 ISO 25600 shows more shadow detail than the E-P3 at ISO 6400. If you try to match the E-M5 at ISO 12800 with the E-P3, again, I think it's about one and a half EVs difference.

You might consider it to be more because the E-P3 images at the same settings and same lighting are a bit darker than the E-M5.

Ian

So potentially a real-world difference of up to 2 EV - ISO 12800 on the E-M5 = ISO 3200 on the E-P3! I wonder how much of that is due to in-camera noise filtering, is this your observation for JPEGs or raw?

Ian
17th February 2012, 10:09 PM
Not looked at the RAWs yet, although I am told that Viewer 2 will open them. The default rendering will not be right though.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
18th February 2012, 07:44 AM
Not looked at the RAWs yet, although I am told that Viewer 2 will open them. The default rendering will not be right though.

Ian

The high ISO RAW files from those naughty French people (from the preproduction E-M5), when they first open in Oly Viewer 2, appear perfect & then it updates & shows a very speckled image, but if then saved as JPEG (without any changes) saves perfectly with only ISO 25,600 showing some obvious degradation but is still impressive at that level (only pixel peepers may be more critical). I tried this with the previous version of Oly Viewer 2 & then again with the latest update (version 1.3, released 16/2/2012), which seems to only add video to the program & no other additions to photo editing, with it showing the same results to the RAW files from the preproduction E-M5, so I guess the final firmware for the camera & another update to Viewer 2 to match it, will see the correct rendering as it's supposed to be. The series of photos they (shouldn't have) showed were of a wedding cake supplier with a dark surround of the small display windows & it showed off the high ISO capabilities really well & I am really impressed with the output from the E-M5, but of course your photos showed us more of the camera's (& lens) capability. Thanks Ian.

This camera should be a great seller. *yes

*chr