PDA

View Full Version : 70-300mm firmware update 1.4

Melaka
17th February 2012, 07:30 PM
I've just noticed that firmware update 1.4 was issued yesterday.

www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/

It's encouraging to see that FT is still being updated!

buddha01
18th February 2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up, David.
I just updated my firmware for my 70-300mm. :D
Greetz,

Olybirder
18th February 2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the link David. I updated mine last night without any problems. I was very surprised to see a firmware update for a lens which I assumed was history as far as they are concerned.

Ron

tim g
18th February 2012, 02:58 PM
I have a problem in that the update seems to have worked but now the lens will not focus .

Can anyone help please.

Tim

Ian
18th February 2012, 03:22 PM
Obvious advice - clean lens mount contacts, turn camera off and on again, check that AF is on at the camera settings, will it focus manually in MF mode?

Ian

tim g
18th February 2012, 04:15 PM
Ian,
Thanks for the quick reply, the contacts have been checked,and I have tried it on two bodies,still no change. The lens will not manuallly focus. The focussing ring now does nothing.

Tim

Ian
18th February 2012, 05:04 PM
OK, presumably other lenses are still OK?

I'm sure I can ensure that the lens, if faulty, can be fixed for you.

Before we resort to that, can you try to re-run the update process? Does Viewer 2 report the lens as being updated?

Ian

IainMacD
18th February 2012, 08:06 PM
I just updated my 70-300 and everything went fine - I probably wouldn't have risked it if I had read about Tim's trouble before hand. Sorry to hear it went wrong Tim, but I'm sure Ian will help find a solution - good luck!

Iain

Barr1e
18th February 2012, 09:35 PM
I just updated my 70-300 and everything went fine - I probably wouldn't have risked it if I had read about Tim's trouble before hand. Sorry to hear it went wrong Tim, but I'm sure Ian will help find a solution - good luck!

Iain

I hope you resolve your problem Tim.

Like Iain, I have just updated our two (Ann1e's) without a problem. Very fast too.

Regards. Barr1e

Graham_of_Rainham
18th February 2012, 10:37 PM
<snip>I have just updated our two (Ann1e's) without a problem. Very fast too.

Regards. Barr1e

Considering the amount of use you get out of yours, this is well worth doing. My update was surprisingly quick. I forgot to try the MF before the update, but went from 1.2 to 1.4 and it seems to do AF a bit quicker, but I may well be kidding myself. This is one of the most underestimated lenses and lives on my E-500 for grab shots out of my front room window.

nickg
19th February 2012, 09:03 AM
Just updated mine, no problem encountered. Best of luck Tim with resolving yours.

Benedict
19th February 2012, 11:21 AM
Me too. No problems with udaate and lens is working well.

cychwr
20th February 2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the headsup David, Just done mine, No problems I'm glad to say, Hope you get your's sorted Tim. A.

Ross the fiddler
20th February 2012, 10:16 PM
I've updated mine (without putting fresh batteries in & using home wireless link :eek:) with all OK. I can't say that I've noticed anything different when using MF. Does anybody know what was actually improved or rectified with the MF in this update, unless it gives us a faster adjustment for rotation of the ring when needed or better fine adjustment? :confused:

Edit: There does seem to be better control for fine adjustment, I think.

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:06 PM
I only have a statement that says improvement in manual focus operation.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
21st February 2012, 01:36 AM
I only have a statement that says improvement in manual focus operation.

Ian

Thanks Ian. That's what the update info says too.

I guess I shouldn't have been so impulsive & should have tested the lens before doing the update to compare the before & after results. I think it may give better finer control (a little more rotation needed for fine adjustment).

Barkly
21st February 2012, 07:33 AM
I will do mine shortly.

Ross the fiddler
21st February 2012, 08:00 AM
I will do mine shortly.

Terry, can you be a good sport & test your lens for MF (before & after). It should move the lens faster from a more deliberate rotation & at a slower rate for fine adjustment. It probably did this before, but I think it is doing it even better now. If you could let us know what you think of before & after, it would be helpful (instead of just rushing in like I did).
Thanks, Ross

cliff
2nd March 2012, 01:35 AM
I have a problem in that the update seems to have worked but now the lens will not focus .

Can anyone help please.

Tim

Hi Tim, a bit late, but don't forget to see if the AF/MF switch on the lens body is where it should be.
This has got quite a few people scratching there head's in the past, hope it's a simple fix - best regards Cliff ;)

Barkly
2nd March 2012, 07:19 AM
Ross - sorry have done it before I saw you post.

But will give it a test tomorrow.

All went well with the upgrade.

cliff
3rd March 2012, 12:48 PM
Thank's for the post David,:) just updated mine to 1.4, took 2 mins to download and it all seems fine.
Had a little test in the kitchen @ 70 mm :- In MF it took half a turn on the dial to move between two targets set at 4 feet apart using a tape measure before update and it seemed to only take two thirds as much after update if that's any help?.
Just re read the post by Ross, hi Ross, are there two rates at which the lens focuses in MF?

Hope you managed to sort your lens if your reading this Tim , hope it was just the switch on the lens dislodged ? or a reload of the update if that's possible - all the best Cliff

Ross the fiddler
4th March 2012, 12:10 AM
Just re read the post by Ross, hi Ross, are there two rates at which the lens focuses in MF?

Yes & I think it always was, but now I think the fine focus rate seems to be finer (more rotation for the same movement) than it was with the previous version of firmware. If you rotate the focus ring fast for a quarter turn from a focussed position & then return to focus slowly, you will notice how much more rotation is needed to get it back to focus again. I don't know if the fast rate has been changed or not, but the manual focusing experience seems to be better anyhow.

I was just curious if anybody else has noticed this with a before & after test.

Stewart G
15th June 2012, 04:20 AM
Just noticed this post, did the update and found my concerns about this lens seemingly vanished! Used to jump during fine focus (manual), skipping a few increments. Was quite annoying, to the point I was considering sending the lens in for repair. Fine focus now seems very fine.
Couldn't do the update attached to an E-1, though, had to switch to the 620.
Kudos to David for pointing this update out.