PDA

View Full Version : New FL-600 - weatherproof? REALLY???

Bikie John
17th February 2012, 05:36 PM
Somewhere in all the exciting OM-D announcements I thought I spotted that the new FL-600 flash is weatherproof. Is this really the case? I have always been extremely paranoid about getting flashguns wet - there is an awful lot of electricity floating around inside once they are charged up, and electricity and stray water go together like peaches and creosote.

I don't very often want to go flashing in the rain, but the requirement comes up occasionally. If the FL-600 really is safe to use in the wet it could be quite a bonus.

Ciao ... John

Ian
17th February 2012, 06:51 PM
The FL-50 and FL-36 are sealed (R and original models). Even the mini flash that is bundled with the E-M5 is sealed. Is the Fl-600 dust and moisture sealed too? Actually I can't see info that confirms this, but I would be surprised if it were not.

Ian

Bikie John
17th February 2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks Ian. In that case I might be a little more bold with the FL-50/36. Can I sent you the bill if my eyebrows burn off and I need replacements? :)

Cheers ... John

Ross the fiddler
18th February 2012, 11:07 AM
The FL-50 and FL-36 are sealed (R and original models). Even the mini flash that is bundled with the E-M5 is sealed. Is the Fl-600 dust and moisture sealed too? Actually I can't see info that confirms this, but I would be surprised if it were not.

Ian

I can't find anything that specifies or suggests the FL50(R) is sealed. I can only find cautions on the enviroment it is used in & up 80% humidity (because of condensation). I'm not sure I would like to have the flash on an E-5 in the rain unless there was clear specifications to that effect. Hopefully the FL600R is sealed, but I would have thought there would be some sort of seal around the hotshoe contacts for that to be complete. :confused:

Ian
18th February 2012, 11:38 AM
I can't find anything that specifies or suggests the FL50(R) is sealed. I can only find cautions on the enviroment it is used in & up 80% humidity (because of condensation). I'm not sure I would like to have the flash on an E-5 in the rain unless there was clear specifications to that effect. Hopefully the FL600R is sealed, but I would have thought there would be some sort of seal around the hotshoe contacts for that to be complete. :confused:

Fair enough, I could be confusing the flash units with the grips (HLD-2 and 4). I will try to get clarification.

The mini flash for the E-M5 is definitely sealed though - I have a diagram showing the seals.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
18th February 2012, 11:43 AM
Fair enough, I could be confusing the flash units with the grips (HLD-2 and 4). I will try to get clarification.

The mini flash for the E-M5 is definitely sealed though - I have a diagram showing the seals.

Ian

That's OK. It must be the distraction from all that hard work with wine, women & song (not sure if that was part of it too). ;) :D

Bikie John
18th February 2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks Ian. It's quite important - flashing in the rain is a pretty rare need, but sometimes it would be useful and the consequences if it goes wrong are potentially severe. So I would appreciate chapter & verse on all the various bits.

Ciao ... John

timg
18th February 2012, 12:16 PM
In case you've not seen it, here's a vid of the mini-flash getting drenched...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fhO9YDI8cHk&gl=GB

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:47 AM
Apologies, Toshi Terada has corrected me! These flash units are not splash proof. Very sorry about my mistaken assumption. :o

Ian

Bikie John
20th February 2012, 12:26 PM
Apologies, Toshi Terada has corrected me! These flash units are not splash proof. Very sorry about my mistaken assumption. :o

Ian

Thanks Ian. I presume by "these flashes" you mean the old ones 36/50 with or without R. Could you confirm or otherwise about the new ones, i.e. the little one that comes bundled and the 600? I'm not sure why I think the 600 might be, I can't see anything to that effect in the product description so maybe I just dreamed it.

Thanks ... John