PDA

View Full Version : Another Outlet For My Work

Zuiko
17th February 2012, 12:44 PM
Yesterday at my exhibition I had a visit from a photographer who is currently setting up a photographic studio and gallery in Dunmow. He asked if I would like to be one of the initial exhibitors and I visited him at his premises today. I must say it looks very impressive, a light and spacious room with excellent lighting from a exhibition display point of view and great potential for studio work; he already has the ceiling mounted backdrop rolls in place.

We agreed that initially I will exhibit 8 framed 16x12 prints on the wall, with the opportunity for further mounted prints in a browser. There will also be work on display from a Formula One photographer, a portaitist, a photographer who specializes in montages of football stadiums and macro photographs by Glen, the proprietor.

It's also set me thinking that this might make a suitable venue for running photo courses, maybe a day covering camera functions for beginners followed by a practical day on location at, say, Hatfield Forest. It's an idea I keep toying with but not really progressing and was raised again at my exhibition earlier this week by a lady who was wishing to learn more about photography and, after a long chat, suggested I would make a good tutor. It often seem that others have more confidence in me than I have myself! I wonder if I'll actually do more than just think about it this time? :rolleyes:

Chevvyf1
17th February 2012, 12:55 PM
... It often seem that others have more confidence in me than I have myself! I wonder if I'll actually do more than just think about it this time? :rolleyes:

John, THIS is wonderful news - just what the Doc ordered really :D I do not think YOU REALISE how much knowledge you have to share :eek: and HOW MUCH People can see this ... and they want some ... *chr

DO IT ! GRASP the PHONE and book it now .... we can all remind you (aka NAG :rolleyes:) if you like/need it

PeterBirder
17th February 2012, 02:50 PM
That's great news John!
Two very positive and complementary results from your exhibition that perhaps you weren't expecting. The studio/gallery presence will give you a permanent "shop window" for your work and hopefully lead not only to sales but also commisions.
I know you've considered running courses before which I believe you would do very well. The availability of a local studio from which you could run courses seems to me to be the final element that would make this work for you.

Go for it! and good luck.*chr

Zuiko
17th February 2012, 02:56 PM
John, THIS is wonderful news - just what the Doc ordered really :D I do not think YOU REALISE how much knowledge you have to share :eek: and HOW MUCH People can see this ... and they want some ... *chr

DO IT ! GRASP the PHONE and book it now .... we can all remind you (aka NAG :rolleyes:) if you like/need it

Yes, it does raise (again) the possibility of running courses, but I cannot get carried away until I've spoken to the proprietor about availability, cost, etc! Lots to consider! :)

StephenL
17th February 2012, 03:29 PM
Sounds like a great opportunity, well worth exploring.

LMGruchy
20th February 2012, 08:37 AM
This is exciting, John. There are lots of people who have DSLRs who are perplexed by them (eg me). Steambuff has given me workshops for birthday pressies etc, including one where i was shocked by the price.

I also think with photosharing people are realising that they lack that little something which turns a snapshot into a work of art.

I get embarassed when I see how good other people's photos are.

BobS
20th February 2012, 09:17 AM
Yesterday at my exhibition I had a visit from a photographer who is currently setting up a photographic studio and gallery in Dunmow. He asked if I would like to be one of the initial exhibitors and I visited him at his premises today. I must say it looks very impressive, a light and spacious room with excellent lighting from a exhibition display point of view and great potential for studio work; he already has the ceiling mounted backdrop rolls in place.

We agreed that initially I will exhibit 8 framed 16x12 prints on the wall, with the opportunity for further mounted prints in a browser. There will also be work on display from a Formula One photographer, a portaitist, a photographer who specializes in montages of football stadiums and macro photographs by Glen, the proprietor.

It's also set me thinking that this might make a suitable venue for running photo courses, maybe a day covering camera functions for beginners followed by a practical day on location at, say, Hatfield Forest. It's an idea I keep toying with but not really progressing and was raised again at my exhibition earlier this week by a lady who was wishing to learn more about photography and, after a long chat, suggested I would make a good tutor. It often seem that others have more confidence in me than I have myself! I wonder if I'll actually do more than just think about it this time? :rolleyes:

John, don't spend too much time thinking about it. If all the conditions are right for you, do it. Opportunities like this don't come every day and most of the time we only regret the things we didn't do. Good luck. My only regret is that you don't live in Dorset.*chr