PDA

View Full Version : OM-D E-M5 pre-order free grip deal details

Ian
13th February 2012, 04:47 PM
This is reproduced from a memo I have just received from Olympus UK regarding the free grip pre-order deal:

Elite and OM Select Dealers/Location

Some stores are able to take pre-orders now. As the product is so new,
some stores do not have pre-ordering set up yet.

Amazon Pre-order once on system
Jessops Top 50 or so stores and on-line
Jacobs All stores
John Lewis Major stores (order on-line)
Harrods Dixons
Cambrian Photo Colwyn Bay
Campkins Cambridge
Great Western Cameras Swindon
J&A Cameras Bideford
LCE Horsefair Bristol
LCE Norwich Norwich
LCE Strand London
LCE Derby Derby
Melgray Hereford
Photosound Bishops Stortford
WEX Norwich
Park Cameras Burgess Hill
SRS MicroSystems Watford
Cameraworld London/Chelmsford
LCE Southampton Southampton
Harrison Camera Sheffield
Ffordes Photographics Inverness
York Camera Mart York
Dixons Black Stores - Westfield Stratford, Birmingham
Dixons Travel Stores - Airports
Wilkinsons Preston, Warrington, Kendal
Selfridges London
Conns Cameras Dublin

Deals

Pre-orders

Order through the above dealers and receive the HLD-6 grip and battery holder set. SSP expected to be 229 (without battery - you will need to buy an extra battery and grip strap if you want them).

This applies to all orders placed between now and end of April. There is no panic. Once the customer has received their OM-D they claim their free grip by sending in a copy of the receipt.

We will have a URL very soon to preregister.

Focus on Imaging 4-7 March NEC First official chance for hands on with the OM-D

Hope that helps :)

Ian

pepper
13th February 2012, 07:16 PM
Ouch at 229 for a grip, the opening price of this camera is going to be along E5 prices!

Was thinking of selling all my 4/3 and m4/3 kit to buy one of these but I think I'll stick with my E3 and EP3 for now.

pault
13th February 2012, 07:37 PM
Hi Pepper, Have you read this right. If you Pre-order the Grip is free, not 229.
Either that and I have miss understood you
regards
Pault

pepper
13th February 2012, 08:12 PM
No I got it right it has an SSP OF 229 just for the grip, can you think how much they are going to be asking for the camera body and lens? It's going to be costing a big wodge of wedge to get into the OM D system.

I suppose this em5 will be the top of the range like the ep1. They will then filter down with cheaper versions later on.

Tbh I've never been an early adopter preferring to buy my cameras second hand and let others take the big hit! Although I did buy a new ep3 recently.

peak4
13th February 2012, 08:29 PM
They always charge daft prices for that particular bit of plastic.
Camera body at launch will be in the region of 999 and kit with the 12-50mm lens is 1149
The lens on its own will be in the region of 350, so a considerable saving if bought with the body.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/interchangeable-lens-cameras-olympus/b3189-m173

Ian
14th February 2012, 02:04 AM
The dealer list at the top of this thread has been updated.

Ian

Smallcreep
3rd March 2012, 09:23 AM
I have noticed that at least one dealer is asking for a 20.00 deposit rather than the whole 999 up front. Just the kind of help with the cashflow that I need!

StephenL
3rd March 2012, 03:52 PM
I have noticed that at least one dealer is asking for a 20.00 deposit rather than the whole 999 up front. Just the kind of help with the cashflow that I need!

I didn't know that anyone asked full price for a pre-order! Very unethical if they do, especially as the official price hasn't been announced.

Doug H
3rd March 2012, 10:21 PM
I pre-ordered from Park Cameras today - no credit card details requested. Previously they've phoned me when the item is ready and then they want payment.
Doug

Zanydave
8th March 2012, 11:51 AM
Pre-ordered one at Focus yesterday. Special show offer - Free accessories HLD-6 grip (229.99) Grip strap (29.99) OM-D case (99.99) LI-ion battery (59.99) Got to be worth it at the price.

drmarkf
8th March 2012, 11:54 AM
Pre-ordered one at Focus yesterday. Special show offer - Free accessories HLD-6 grip (229.99) Grip strap (29.99) OM-D case (99.99) LI-ion battery (59.99) Got to be worth it at the price.

Yes, a good deal that should have covered your admission/travel costs :tup

Zanydave
8th March 2012, 12:45 PM
The free travel & free admission made it even better :)

Bikie John
8th March 2012, 02:12 PM
I'll bet even the special offer doesn't include the **** lens hood!

Ciao ... John

LightingMan
8th March 2012, 05:13 PM
Any chance of getting this camera before the end of March (our end of financial year)?

Ian
9th March 2012, 11:58 AM
My sources are now suggesting that initial stocks will not be as plentiful as hoped and that the first batch could be a week later than originally expected.

Ian

Ian
9th March 2012, 12:01 PM
Any chance of getting this camera before the end of March (our end of financial year)?

I can only suggest you pay for a camera up front - I'm sure one of the dealers would be happy to do that.

But as I said in the previous post the initial stocks will not be massive and first stocks will be a week later than originally hoped for - so mid-April or so.

Ian

George Dorn
27th March 2012, 06:57 PM
The site to register for the offer is now available:

http://olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/

There doesn't appear to be any restriction on the dealers that you can go to for purchase of the body and qualify for the grip offer, at least not in the small print that I could find. If this is the case, then that will make me happy because my local retailer (and a big shout for Chris Goodhead in Burton on Trent here) will be able to supply the kit. Does anybody know if this is actually the case? I'm going to email and ask in any case.

The promo. appears to be a two part process; register your pre-order now and submit the claim later, if I'm interpreting the offer correctly.

Phill D
27th March 2012, 07:12 PM
I second your shout for Chris Goodhead I had great friendly service and advice.

Ian
10th April 2012, 04:53 PM
Direct from the horse's mouth, Olympus will honour all claims for a free grip if you pre-order an E-M5 before the end of the month, regardless of when it's delivered. It's really between you and your dealer to come to some arrangement regarding the validity of a pre-order; heaven forbid a dealer might forget about your pre-order some how later. After discussing this we came to the conclusion that if you feel more comfortable having evidence of your pre-order being booked, then you might consider paying a small deposit, which would be documented on paper for the purpose. But that would be entirely up to you and your dealer.

Ian

art frames
10th April 2012, 05:36 PM
Direct from the horse's mouth, Olympus will honour all claims for a free grip if you pre-order an E-M5 before the end of the month, regardless of when it's delivered. It's really between you and your dealer to come to some arrangement regarding the validity of a pre-order; heaven forbid a dealer might forget about your pre-order some how later. After discussing this we came to the conclusion that if you feel more comfortable having evidence of your pre-order being booked, then you might consider paying a small deposit, which would be documented on paper for the purpose. But that would be entirely up to you and your dealer.

Ian

Ian this seems to ease my fear about my March 18th order with Amazon. Their system doesn't take money until they dispatch but I have emails and screen dumps of the order which proves it exists. At the moment I am hopeful that they will despatch this month but they have also said May and June in more general emails.

Am I reading this correctly? The stipulation in the scheme rules that it must be paid for by end April is now gone away?

Regards

Peter

StephenL
10th April 2012, 05:43 PM
In my experience Olympus generally go by the spirit of the promotion rather than being pedantic about rules.

Ian
10th April 2012, 06:05 PM
Ian this seems to ease my fear about my March 18th order with Amazon. Their system doesn't take money until they dispatch but I have emails and screen dumps of the order which proves it exists. At the moment I am hopeful that they will despatch this month but they have also said May and June in more general emails.

Am I reading this correctly? The stipulation in the scheme rules that it must be paid for by end April is now gone away?

Regards

Peter

You will be absolutely fine, Peter.

Ian

bassman
10th April 2012, 07:46 PM
Direct from the horse's mouth, Olympus will honour all claims for a free grip if you pre-order an E-M5 before the end of the month, regardless of when it's delivered.

Ian

Much appreciated Ian, that's just answered my question. Need to make decision pretty soon though !

PeterBirder
10th April 2012, 09:58 PM
Very many thanks for getting this info for us Ian.*chr

Not having ordered from Park Cameras untill 22nd of March I guess I may have to wait a while but at least I know I will still get the grip.

Regards.*chr

StephenL
17th April 2012, 12:12 PM
Just got an email from Olympus saying that my grip should be with me in 28 days or less. :)

MickL
17th April 2012, 04:51 PM
I don't want to spoil the party as I have an OM-D on order but when I bought my E5 in January I also bought an XZ-1 as a pocket camera. This has(had?) a cash back promotion on it and I submmited my application on line on the 1st of February. My "account" status was updated some weeks ago to "cheque awaiting printing" but since then - nothing. Emails are not replied, one attempt at a phone call was answered by a person with a very difficult to understand accent (not racist but this was a help line!) who told me that it would be sent out soon and still nothing.

I attended the recent LCE camera show in Southampton specifically to handle and order an OM-D and mentioned this problem to the Olympus sales guys at the show. Although they very generously gave me an Olympus leather bag by way of apology and for which I am very grateful, I still do not have my cheque. I just hope the grip offer is dealt with a bit better as I will not use my OM-D until I get a grip as it is just a bit too small on it's own to confidently use alongside the E5 on field trips.

Take Care
Mick L

StephenL
17th April 2012, 04:59 PM
I'm not saying it can't happen, but in the past I've availed myself of a number of Olympus offers, including free MMF1 adaptor, free FL50, free FL36, free E-510 tuition session, all with no problems.

Keep pressing them - I'm sure they will come through. Sometimes an email to Olympus UK rather than Olympus Europe who seem to handle promotions helps.

Frank N Furter
17th April 2012, 05:16 PM
The current cash back and grip offers are being dealt with by a 3rd party company (www.sales-promotions.com). My claim for a PEN/Lens cash back has been 'Sent for payment' today :-) ....after about a month.. so looks like the process is working...just a little slowly...

cariadus
26th April 2012, 04:49 PM
As I understand it, the free grip offer applies to pre-orders made before 30 April. But the website at https://olympusomd.sales-promotions.com says:

Completed claim, proof of purchase and the valid serial number of your Olympus camera must be received by midnight 31/05/12.

I've just ordered from Amazon and they are quoting estimated delivery in June. If that proves to be correct I'm not going to be able to supply a serial number by 31 May. Am I in danger of missing out on the free grip?

StephenL
26th April 2012, 04:57 PM
I understand that Olympus have undertaken to honour the free grip irrespective of delivery date as long as your pre-order has been registered by 30 April. You do not need to supply a serial number to register your pre-order. Just put "To be confirmed" in the box which asks for the number.

cariadus
26th April 2012, 05:01 PM
OK, thanks, Stephen.

brianvickers
26th April 2012, 05:51 PM
Just received my OM-D from Jacobs....no proof of purchase though, just a delivery note - not sure if that counts?

brianvickers
26th April 2012, 05:54 PM
Its like seeing a celebrity in real life...a lot smaller than you imagined!
Battery charging.........still charging.....and still charging.........light not gone off yet....still charging....

Frank N Furter
26th April 2012, 07:48 PM
Just received my OM-D from Jacobs....no proof of purchase though, just a delivery note - not sure if that counts?

Give them a call and they will e-mail the invoice through to you...I had the same issue and they sent it through within minutes. Not sure why it's not sent with the goods though.

btw...I uploaded my proof of purchase to the grip claim site on Monday... but the status of my claim has not yet updated.. anyone else had any progression of their claim?

StephenL
26th April 2012, 07:50 PM
Yes, but only after ringing them to check they'd got my proof of purchase. Suggest you do the same.

bruniroquai
26th April 2012, 07:59 PM
I have mine ordered in Jacbos, so many weeks ago so... I'm really desperate! Tomorrow my family will come from Spain and I don't have any camera.. Any place which units in London?

Bruno

Doug H
27th April 2012, 10:23 AM
Once you receive your OM-D - and the invoice(!), and after submitting a copy of the invoice to the Sales Promotion website, you may find it worth phoning the Sales Promotion people to be sure that your details have been updated. I uploaded a copy invoice on Monday and by today the status had still not changed from "proof of purchase not received...", so I phoned and was assured that they could see the copy invoice, and they then updated their records accordingly and said I'd receive an email acknowledgement and then the grip within 28 days - but the phone call was clearly the trigger to complete the process.
Doug

snaarman
27th April 2012, 10:28 AM
Silly question. How do you "upload" the proof of purchase invoice? Take a picture of it and attach a jpeg?

Pete

Doug H
27th April 2012, 11:22 AM
Yup. Says you can do it as a .PDF (didn't work for me) or as a .JPG. Keep the size down to less than 1MB though. My invoice showed the serial number which they certainly want.
Doug

StephenL
27th April 2012, 11:45 AM
Silly question. How do you "upload" the proof of purchase invoice? Take a picture of it and attach a jpeg?

Pete

I just scanned it in. The upload process asks for the location of the scanned document.

peak4
27th April 2012, 12:05 PM

Pete

I had a spot of bother myself initially. I scanned the receipt and saved as a pdf with file name of the camera's serial number. This was also shown on the receipt.

When it came to uploading it, I eventually used a link displayed within The Terms & Conditions (https://olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/terms-and-conditions-promotion/?country_promotion=2)

The actual link is HERE (https://olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/customer-apply-for-promotion/?country_promotion=2&lng=en) with a radio button at the bottom, which allows you to either upload or post the documents.

You can also check the status of your order HERE (https://customers.sales-promotions.com/en/)

Which in theory allows you to upload the docs, but it still told me that the order had failed.

The trouble is that in order to use the final link, you need the user name & password that you are sent when you Pre-Registered on the second link, before you got the camera.

Having already Pre-Registered without the serial number, I had user name and password for the final link, but couldn't get back to the form on my second link to upload the pdf. Joseph Heller would have been amused.

When I got the camera, I then went back to my second link, re-pre-registered again, this time with the serial number and uploaded the pdf *zzz

It must have worked OK as a couple of days later I received the mail confirming my documentation was OK an the grip would arrive within 28 days.

Good Luck *chr

Pensionista
27th April 2012, 03:21 PM
Jacobs attached the invoice (called Confirmation.pdf) to an e-mail on the day they dispatched the camera. I completed the online claim but somehow messed up the upload of the proof of purchase on the promotion site. The day after the status still said 'missing proof of purchase, so I printed the 'confirmation.pdf' and sent it with a copy of the claim, by post. Fingers crossed.

StephenL
27th April 2012, 03:26 PM
It seems to be that, despite successful uploads, you have to phone them to confirm they have received your proof of purchase. Only then does the status get updated. At least, that's my and a few others experience.

Gwyver
27th April 2012, 04:21 PM
My EM5 arrived today. When I logged-in to the pre-order free grip website, I was able to upload a scan of my invoice (as a JPEG), but nowhere could I find a field or link in which to specify the camera serial number. I then phoned the customer service number, and they confirmed that the invoice upload had succeeded and also recorded the serial no. over the phone. I subsequently received an email from Olympus which confirms that 'claim for the Olympus OM-D Free Grip Promotion has now been approved...

StephenL
27th April 2012, 04:56 PM
In many cases the invoice will show the serial number. It does from SRS anyway.

Frank N Furter
29th April 2012, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking they must process each of the promotions they are managing in batches...perhaps only once per week.

Anyway... still no update following my upload of the invoice/serial no last a week ago, so I've resubmitted my claim from scratch... heres hoping... *susp

StephenL
29th April 2012, 01:52 PM
Anyway... still no update following my upload of the invoice/serial no last a week ago, so I've resubmitted my claim from scratch... heres hoping... *susp

As I said before, ring them. That produces almost instant acknowledgement.

Frank N Furter
29th April 2012, 01:58 PM
cheers, got tied up so didn't get chance to call....did drop them an e-mail but that didn't seem to help... If no joy by close of play Monday I'll give them a call...

ashtonsd
1st May 2012, 09:09 AM
Well I don't know how successful I will be but I caved in and ordered from Amazon yesterday (30th) the Black Kit. It shows as expected delivery on 9th May.
I am hoping that I will qualify for the free grip and that Amazon hit the estimated delivery day.........but I am not known as 'the unluckiest guy in the world' for no reason!

snaarman
1st May 2012, 09:45 AM
OK, I scanned and uploaded the SRS receipt jpeg, waited overnight then phoned them to confirm. That was probably worth doing, and I am to expect a confirmatory email in the next few days.

I suspect they are a bit rushed. Don't expect much sense of humour at the other end of the phone :-)

My first 24 hours with the camera confirms my suspicions that the grip is an essential bit of kit for me... It should make the camera just that little bit more wieldy.

Pete

StephenL
1st May 2012, 09:46 AM
Don't expect much sense of humour at the other end of the phone :-)

Pete

Psst! They're foreign :eek:

ashtonsd
1st May 2012, 09:48 AM
Hmmmmm! Just had an email from Amazon to say delivery date has changed..........to the 3rd May :-0

StephenL
1st May 2012, 09:50 AM
Hmmmmm! Just had an email from Amazon to say delivery date has changed..........to the 3rd May :-0

For your grip? Did you order this from Amazon?

ashtonsd
1st May 2012, 09:54 AM
No, for the camera kit, ordered from Amazon.

StephenL
1st May 2012, 10:09 AM
No, for the camera kit, ordered from Amazon.
Oh, sorry, my misunderstanding. It's just with this being a "Free Grip" thread ...

snaarman
1st May 2012, 11:30 AM
OK, I scanned and uploaded the SRS receipt jpeg, waited overnight then phoned them to confirm. That was probably worth doing, and I am to expect a confirmatory email in the next few days.

I suspect they are a bit rushed. Don't expect much sense of humour at the other end of the phone :-)

My first 24 hours with the camera confirms my suspicions that the grip is an essential bit of kit for me... It should make the camera just that little bit more wieldy.

Pete

They must be getting quicker. I just had the confirm email, within the hour almost..

Pete

StephenL
1st May 2012, 11:47 AM
They must be getting quicker. I just had the confirm email, within the hour almost..

Pete

You will do - 'cos you phoned them. It's when things are let to run their "natural" course that they run slow. :D

Olybirder
1st May 2012, 11:59 AM

Pete
I suppose that now the free grip offer has expired they are sitting there drumming their fingers and wondering how to pass the time. They are probably idly surfing the net and might even be reading this thread. *wave

Ron

StephenL
1st May 2012, 01:00 PM
I suppose that now the free grip offer has expired they are sitting there drumming their fingers and wondering how to pass the time. They are probably idly surfing the net and might even be reading this thread. *wave

Ron
Perhaps, just perhaps, they're parcelling up the grips and posting them as we speak. No, course not. I'll go and take a cold shower. Got myself all excited for a minute. :(

snaarman
1st May 2012, 01:02 PM

Ron

Seems anyone associated with the E-M5 will be busy: See how many views the threads have had here. SRS told me they are run off their feet shipping them. I note the E-M5 has topped the Dpreview stats for views this week (!).

brianvickers
2nd May 2012, 01:26 PM
I just phoned them, and yes they are foreign....but decided after a pause that my claim was valid and promised to process it immediately....expected in 28 days.

By the way the 'invoice' sent out by Jacobs counts as a receipt.

brianvickers
2nd May 2012, 01:29 PM
Just got the email from Plamen Dimitrov, a very nice man, but the web status is unchanged

Frank N Furter
2nd May 2012, 01:34 PM
Just got an e-mail from Hristo Hristov....web status has also been updated *yes

dko22
2nd May 2012, 04:42 PM
I just got an email from Jacobs to say that the silver has been delayed and would I like a black for MID-JUNE! God knows when they're going to get a silver then as they quoted early June for the silver just a week ago which is OK but this sounds ominous. If it wasn't for the grip pre-order requirement, I'd probably keep scouring the web until one turned up.

David

Olybirder
2nd May 2012, 04:50 PM
I just got an email from Jacobs to say that the silver has been delayed and would I like a black for MID-JUNE! God knows when they're going to get a silver then as they quoted early June for the silver just a week ago which is OK but this sounds ominous. If it wasn't for the grip pre-order requirement, I'd probably keep scouring the web until one turned up.

David
Well the Olympus UK Shop is advertising the black one as being in stock. I would be inclined to contact them, explain your situation and see if there was any chance of transferring the registration in-house. I don't suppose it works like that though. It doesn't help if you have your heart set on a silver one either.

Ron

brianvickers
2nd May 2012, 05:48 PM
Just had an apology email from Olympus for the problems in 'ordering' the free grip.

Sorry to hear the stock is not getting through.
The black version really does look good, maybe not quite so retro, but it really is a great camera and worth the wait or the switch to black if you choose.

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 08:30 AM
Ooohh!! My grip's just arrived! Not unpacked it yet but I'll be posting full details on how it feels. And my spare battery has just arrived! Now I am complete.

snaarman
3rd May 2012, 08:33 AM
Ooohh!! My grip's just arrived! Not unpacked it yet but I'll be posting full details on how it feels. And my spare battery has just arrived! Now I am complete.

Grr. Grip Envy.

Ian
3rd May 2012, 08:59 AM
I received a grip on Monday too :) I guess stocks have arrived and are now being distributed to all and sundry :D

Now all we need are spare batteries!

Ian

StephenL
3rd May 2012, 09:11 AM

Ian
That came today as well!

CRANSTALL
5th May 2012, 08:44 PM
I received a grip on Monday too :) I guess stocks have arrived and are now being distributed to all and sundry :D

Ian
Try SRS microsystems they sent me four on wednesday along with my bodies did forget my lenses though?

Doug H
12th May 2012, 12:07 PM
My grip arrived today - 2 weeks after I received the email saying it would be on its way.
I do like the landscape grip, gives me a nice secure hold on the camera. Portrait grip is staying in the box for now as I rarely get on with them.

From grip to gripe - I do wish manufacturers would give more thought to the "little bits" that need to be detached. The little rubber covers for the pins for example, along with hot shoe covers, port covers, screw covers etc - nicely finished in black so they are guararanteed to hide in the bag, drawer etc. I now generally remove the part and replace it with a DIY version so the original is safe in the box! - but some are a bit too tricky to do successfully.

Doug

peak4
12th May 2012, 12:16 PM
The little rubber covers for the pins for example
Doug

The little flat covers for the pin contacts do have recesses built into the two parts of the grip for them.
Haven't really found a solution for the white covers for the pins themselves though, other than to store them in one of the little Sandisk neoprene bags that their CF cards used to come with.

I'm not too fussed about the hot shoe covers, but the rubber cover for the flash/viewfinder/LED macro light really could do with a proper storage option. :(

brianvickers
12th May 2012, 05:07 PM
My grip arrived today..first impressions are that the landscape grip improves the appearance and performance, portrait grip improves handling - the camera feels all the more substantial and easier to use

steverh
12th May 2012, 05:15 PM
Mine arrived too! First impressions agree with Brian.

bredman
12th May 2012, 08:14 PM
Funny how we were all eager for the smaller high-IQ camera, only to make it bigger :). As i am :o.

:)

CRANSTALL
12th May 2012, 08:54 PM
I usually stick the bits in an old plastic film tub 35mm or 120 film safe if their are lots off them
Peter

snaarman
14th May 2012, 10:49 AM
Info for those still waiting..

Excellent! The free grip just arrived today (14th) I registered the camera, hassled by phone and had the email confirm on the 1st May.

Looks great and transforms the camera. You really should get some respec' with this combination of gear.
However, I'm still waiting for the second battery..

Pete

CJJE
24th May 2012, 04:04 PM
My silver EM-5 arrived last Monday with its paper sales invoice from Park Cameras. My scanner isn't working at present as I need to reload its drivers, but I was able to take a pic of the invoice and send a compressed JPG to the Olympus Hand Grip people via their website. (I had registered my claim back in April just to be sure it would be in time.)

I also sent them an email to confirm that they could process my claim, and was rather concerned to get a reply yesterday saying my serial number was invalid!

I replied, repeating the serial number from the base of the camera and the sales invoice, sent another copy of the sales invoice JPG, and also sent paper copies to them.

Today I got an email confirming the hand grip will be delivered in the next 28 days, which is a bit more reassuring!!

Chris

skids
25th May 2012, 04:30 PM
email received today to advise my grip will be with me within 28 days (it took a little cajoling to get the transaction to this point).

DekHog
25th May 2012, 05:15 PM
A close call for me - the Amazon VAT invoice only arrived today and the end of this month is the deadline. Still beats me why Amazon can't email an invoice or store one in your account online?

What's the average wait been for the grip arriving for everyone?

drmarkf
25th May 2012, 05:43 PM
Mine arrived on Wednesday, after copy of E-M5 receipt etc emailed on May 1st.

BTW having played with the new camera and now with the grip, I've decided to loan my E-5 + SHG glass to my daughter who's developing quite a serious interest in photography (and is probably better able to carry it that I am these days!). I'm not cutting the umbilical yet, but I wouldn't rule it out, depending on how the new fast m4/3 zooms go...

DekHog
25th May 2012, 06:33 PM
depending on how the new fast m4/3 zooms go...

They do look the business - I'm glad it's Panasonic making them as you'll get them in black, and also not have to pay stupid prices for items such as a proper lens cap and hood! I know Olympus are skint, but seriously, $120 for the cap and hood for the 75mm?..... nothing like infuriating potential customers, eh?......:rolleyes:

bredman
26th May 2012, 02:53 AM
What's the average wait been for the grip arriving for everyone?

A couple weeks for me.

I headed of into Lincolnshire for a couple days a few days ago and stopped off at my mothers just before we set off, was amazed to hear the words "oh there's a parcel arrived for you this morning". It was the grip -- excellent timing.

I'm a big fan of this grip. :)

Ross the fiddler
26th May 2012, 03:01 AM
A couple weeks for me.

I headed of into Lincolnshire for a couple days a few days ago and stopped off at my mothers just before we set off, was amazed to hear the words "oh there's a parcel arrived for you this morning". It was the grip -- excellent timing.

I'm a big fan of this grip. :)

That was good timing then. *yes

bredman
26th May 2012, 03:14 AM
That was good timing then. *yes

Indeed Ross. A couple days prior i had received the cheapo batteries from Hong Kong. Full Power :D.

David Morison
26th May 2012, 04:48 AM
Still waiting for mine plus spare batteries and boy do I need them! I haven't got very big hands but the solo camera just feels like a silly little toy. Still carry the E5 and love the reassuring feel of it's solidarity and useability - I don't manage to press two buttons at the same time!

David

drmarkf
26th May 2012, 07:45 AM
Still carry the E5 and love the reassuring feel of it's solidarity and usability - I don't manage to press two buttons at the same time!

David

Interesting - travelling in the other direction, I have been using the E-PL2 much more than the E5 recently, and I love the 'reassuring feel of ... solidarity and usability' of the E-M5 in comparison!
I do have quite small hands, which may well be an important factor.

The only area where the new camera has slightly disappointed me is in the capabilities of tracking C-AF of fast moving subjects, so I shan't be unloading my D300 and Nikkor VRII 70-200 just yet. The E-M5 is a lot better in this area than earlier PENs, and performance seems quite lens-specific, but the focus failure rate on fast-moving vehicles is a bit too frustrating.
It's fine however on slower-moving subjects like people and, with face detect working so well, this opens up interesting opportunities in street photography. I think it would also make the basis of a superb, light and compact game drive (safari) kit if the panny zooms are as dust-resistant and good as they seem.