PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Greece

giorgosmit
22nd May 2008, 11:34 AM
Hello from Greece! I lurk here quite often so it is about time I sign up. I see a lot of familiar nicks here from the Four Thirds User site. I already feel at home ;)

I know this is a UK-specific forum, but please be lennient. In my defense, le me state that the British embassy is not very far from the place I live :rolleyes:

Ian
22nd May 2008, 12:17 PM
Hello from Greece! I lurk here quite often so it is about time I sign up. I see a lot of familiar nicks here from the Four Thirds User site. I already feel at home ;)

I know this is a UK-specific forum, but please be lennient. In my defense, le me state that the British embassy is not very far from the place I live :rolleyes:

Hi Giorgo, nice to see you here :)

Yes, the site is UK-concentrated but as long as you realise this and don't mind us all moaning about the weather here (and being very envious of Grecian blue skies) - you are most welcome :D

Ian

Steve Lane
22nd May 2008, 02:28 PM
Hello Giorgo,

It's nice to welcome someone from Greece! You live in one of my favorite countries and I tend to visit once every year (last year it was twice). It is a fantastic land for photography and I never fail to be inspired whenever I visit.

Regards, Steve.

Ellie
22nd May 2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.chins-n-quills.com/forums/images/smilies/hello3.gif Giorgo, nice to see you here :)

giorgosmit
23rd May 2008, 08:13 AM
Thank you gor the warm reception!

Ian: The Greek skies are indeed blue this time of year, but they have a bad habit of coming out a wased-out white in photos. ND grads are a must in Greece!

Steve: Thank you for your kind words. Something of a curio here: I find Athens barren of photographic interest, because of all that ugly concrete. I have a dream of visiting UK though, as it seems THE most picturesque country I have ever known. Well, the grass is always greener ont the other side...

Ellie: Thank you!

Steve Lane
6th June 2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Giorgo,

Apologies for the delayed response - I somehow overlooked this thread! I quite agree, the grass does always seem greener on the other side. I have been visiting Greece since 1983, but have not yet made it Athens.

I am planning a road trip with my brother next Spring, and there is a good chance we will be spending some time in Athens and the Cape Sunio area. I adore the Peloponnese region and 'discovered' the spectacular Arcadia area last summer, whilst on a three week trip to Levkada. I have spent many weeks on the Greek Islands, places such as Crete, Santorini, Thassos, Rhodes, Symi, Kos, Nisyros, Patmos, Kefalonia, Ithaca, Skiathos, Skopelos to name some.

Photography aside, what really does it for me is a combination of history, climate, fine wine & food, and the genuine hospitality extended to me and my family. I think the majority of my photo's must have been taken in Greece, although most of them are 35mm. I have only taken a digital camera with me once (a road trip around the Peloponnese just over a year ago), as I prefer the 'grandness' of slide projection - those huge images make me feel like I am back there (especially when accompanied by a bottle of Retsina and a jar of the finest Kalamata Olives!).

Even my reading material is predominatly Greek at the moment; I am just finishing the Iliad, which I have re-read regularly for over 20 years! Will probably pick up the Odyssey again soon. Mmmm...perhaps I should just move over there!

England is a lovely place, and the ever changing seasons and landscapes provide endless photo opportunities...I just wish the sun would shine a bit more often!

Regards, Steve.

Malcolm Cousins
6th June 2008, 11:38 PM
Hi Giorgo. I lived in Cyprus for 3 years whilst in the RAF and had many Greek friends. I also am a newcomer so welcome from me.:)

giorgosmit
7th June 2008, 09:59 AM
Thank you for your kind words! I am sorry I did not reply earlier but studying for my college exams got the better of me.

It may seem ironic, but the most frequent wish in Greece these days is "if only I lived in England or any other European country!". For the last year or so, Greece quite frankly resembles more a third world country rather a member of the EU. The college students have started a revolution to prevent the goverment from kickstarting the creation of private colleges, and for quite some time we have had such phenomena as stealing/ burning of ballot boxes, kicking the hell out of Deans or ceeping them hostages for the better part of a day etc. I know many fellow greeks that would happily trade the sun (especially now, with an extremely hot summer kicking in) for some of the peace you enjoy!

PS: Sorry for the rant, but I really had to get some bitterness out of my system.

Jim Ford
7th June 2008, 05:53 PM
I alway say to a Greek friend:

Britain's been going downhill for the last 50 years, but Greece has a 2000 year headstart on us!

He likes that!
;^)

Jim

giorgosmit
7th June 2008, 05:55 PM
All too true :D