PDA

View Full Version : Bank Holiday suprise... The e-group Bank Holiday Challenge...

theMusicMan
22nd May 2008, 08:56 AM
Hi All

Here's a nice surprise for you all to take part in over the coming bank holiday. We are running an e-group Bank Holiday Challenge competition, with the simple objective of encouraging everyone on here to get out and about over the bank holiday weekend, use your camera and take those shots! Easy eh! Here's the lo-down...

We will choose 10 themes or subjects that you have to try to capture at some time over the bank holiday. We don't have these themes identified as yet, and I want people who read this to reply with your ideas as to the theme/subject matter. I want everyone to feel they are part of this fun challenge, and to feel they are able to contribute, and will accept these suggestions until midnight tonight following which I will choose the themes from those suggested (and perhaps some others I have an idea about). Tomorrow morning I will post the details of the chosen themes, and then let the challenge commence... your task will be to take photos that match those themes/subjects/ideas, upload them to the e-group gallery (that I will create for the challenge) by Monday.

Voting will then commence via a system yet to be decided on - which could be by an overall rating in the e-group gallery, or perhaps by a poll, or it could be that even Ian and I will simply pick a winner... I will decide on the method and will and advise you all later (or more likely within the launch thread that I will post tomorrow morning).

The good news is that we have a few small prizes to offer;
Olympus RM1 remote trigger
CF memory card (not sure of GB yet... but heck, it's still a prize yeah)... as a little incentive to you all to use your kit and contribute to the challenge.

Important: One more thing before I invite you all to post your suggested themes/subjects/ideas... We are all good people here, and we have a very friendly forum, please remember that I want this to be a fun challenge, and so please don't take this too seriously OK. We will trust you all that you will use your Olympus gear to take the shots, and I ask that you keep the submitted images to around 800px on maximum side. I want people here to have fun doing this, and to really get out and about on the bank holiday and enjoy the time being with your friends and family, and of course enjoy using your camera. So please... let's have a fun challenge OK... thanks... :)

You don't have to submit to every theme, and the challenge itself could have a separate challenge for yourselves i.e. you could challenge yourself to see if you can get shots for ALL of the themes/ideas/subject, or you could simply submit into just a few of them... it's your call. It's all about having fun and using your camera.

So... brief rules will follow tomorrow when I officially launch the challenge, but please let the posting of your suggested themes/subjects/ideas commence... and have fun yeah :)

John

HughofBardfield
22nd May 2008, 09:17 AM
Unfortunately, it sounds as though the weather is going to be a bit iffy for much of the UK - heavy rain Sunday, heavy showers Monday for my patch (so let's hope they've got it wrong!).

So a macro / indoor / tabletop theme might be a good idea...?
Or perhaps a "British Summer weather" theme...!

Steve Lane
22nd May 2008, 09:24 AM
Hi John

As Bank Holidays are often about families and this is intended as a bit of fun, how about a 'families' theme?

Regards, Steve.

Ian
22nd May 2008, 09:28 AM
Unfortunately, it sounds as though the weather is going to be a bit iffy for much of the UK - heavy rain Sunday, heavy showers Monday for my patch (so let's hope they've got it wrong!).

So a macro / indoor / tabletop theme might be a good idea...?
Or perhaps a "British Summer weather" theme...!

Actually, rain - or more specifically 'weather' - could be a theme :)

Ian

j.baker
22nd May 2008, 09:30 AM
Great idea John.

I have to agree that the weather may cause a few problems.

My suggestions are:

Furry/Fluffy things
What you did not expect to see
What you expected to see

theMusicMan
22nd May 2008, 11:19 AM
Great suggestions folks, please do keep them coming. I'll be selecting the 10 first thing in the morning.

dbutch
22nd May 2008, 11:53 AM
Ice Cream :)

or BBQ

Cheers

Dave

JohnGG
22nd May 2008, 01:34 PM
Traffic jams might be a subject easily accessed over the weekend ;)

On a more constructive note, and if the weather doesn't spoil things, how about taking pictures of a fair, transport rally, steam railway or whatever attraction you might visit over the holiday. The subject could be "All the Fun of the Fair" perhaps.

Cheers,

JohnGG

Nick Temple-Fry
22nd May 2008, 01:46 PM
or from Punch and Judy

"That's the way to do it!"

Nick

theMusicMan
22nd May 2008, 01:53 PM
These are all great suggestions and I can see myself having a hard time picking the 10 to use in the challenge. Keep 'em coming though, I have a feeling this is going to be interesting... and I sincerely hope I do manage to get you out and about over the Bank Holiday, and that we receive quite a few entries.

Zuiko
22nd May 2008, 07:23 PM
These are all great suggestions and I can see myself having a hard time picking the 10 to use in the challenge. Keep 'em coming though, I have a feeling this is going to be interesting... and I sincerely hope I do manage to get you out and about over the Bank Holiday, and that we receive quite a few entries.

Oh dear, I'm on holiday next week and won't have access to a computer to post an entry :eek: :(

On the plus side, from Tuesday onwards most of you will be back at work but I'll still be out and about taking pictures! ;):):D:p

As John said, have fun at the weekend and enjoy the competition, without taking it too seriously!

*chr John

Who's_E
22nd May 2008, 10:25 PM
What a good plan.

How's about:

(1) The start of the holiday
(2) The middle of the holiday
(3) The end of the holiday

Nick

Ellie
22nd May 2008, 10:45 PM
That's a nice idea for a competition, very short and quick too. Not sure if I'll be able to join in, it'll depend on the weather.

I'm sure lots of people will be near water, so how about "Water Babies" as a category? I'm thinking of the feathered kind. Maybe any sort of young animals might be nice, because there are sure to be loads around, even in zoos and wildlife parks.

theMusicMan
23rd May 2008, 05:46 AM
That's a nice idea for a competition, very short and quick too. Not sure if I'll be able to join in, it'll depend on the weather.

I'm sure lots of people will be near water, so how about "Water Babies" as a category? I'm thinking of the feathered kind. Maybe any sort of young animals might be nice, because there are sure to be loads around, even in zoos and wildlife parks.Of course you can Ellie... use your imagination for the shots:rolleyes:. I'll be sure to choose some that take into account the weather forecast for the weekend... :)

theMusicMan
23rd May 2008, 08:36 AM
Well... the challenge is now open and the thread can be found here...

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1884

Good luck everyone.

andym
23rd May 2008, 10:10 AM
[/COLOR]

Oh dear, I'm on holiday next week and won't have access to a computer to post an entry :eek: :(

On the plus side, from Tuesday onwards most of you will be back at work but I'll still be out and about taking pictures! ;):):D:p

As John said, have fun at the weekend and enjoy the competition, without taking it too seriously!

*chr John

You and me both John.Have a good holiday:D and plenty of*chr