PDA

View Full Version : Olympus OM-D and E-M5 questions answered

Pages : [1] 2

Ian
8th February 2012, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the new E-M5 board here on the e-group! :)

First of all, if you haven't seen the FTU articles about the E-M5 you can see them here:

» Olympus OM-D E-M5 exclusive hands-on video and photos (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/02/olympus_omd_em5_exclusive_handson_video_and_photos .php)
» Olympus OM-D E-M5 previewed (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/02/olympus_omd_em5_previewed.php)
» Olympus launches OM-D (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/02/olympus_launches_omd.php)
» Olympus to expand high-grade Micro Four Thirds lens system (http://fourthirds-user.com/2012/02/olympus_to_expand_highgrade_micro_four_thirds_lens _system.php)

I have a lot more information that hasn't yet found its way into articles from white papers and briefing documents, so if you have any questions there is a good chance I will have an answer somewhere.

If you have a question, post it here and I'll do my best to answer it!

Ian

StephenL
8th February 2012, 08:17 AM
Ian, you handle a lot of cameras. Does the E-M5 have the "soul" that the GH2 lacks, good camera though it is?

Ian
8th February 2012, 08:23 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't yet had a personal hands-on (haha! sounds a bit shfty that...) yet as examples are only making fleeting appearances at Olympus HQ as they are shuttled around Europe.

I get to try the camera next week at a seminar in Amsterdam and I understand photos taken will be publishable.

But the guys at the Olympus office very kindly took some hands-on snaps and the video featured on FTU.

All I can say is that in the pictures (and I have dozens more than have been published) the look 'feels' right. I am disappointed there is no fully articulating screen like on the E-5/E30/E-620, etc. and I, personally, would have preferred a built in flash, but these are the only negatives I can think of primarily.

Ian

StephenL
8th February 2012, 08:42 AM
I too am slightly disappointed at the lack of fully-articulating rear screen, as many of my photos are taken portrait-format from ground level, and I can no longer get up from such a position easily, but the lack of flash doesn't bother me in the slightest. When can I pre-order one?

Ian
8th February 2012, 08:45 AM
I think you can pre-order from dealers now - and of course you will get a free HLD-6 grip for your troubles.

With the extra pixels you can shoot in landscape and trim the sides :)

Ian

StephenL
8th February 2012, 08:52 AM
With the extra pixels you can shoot in landscape and trim the sides :)

Ian

Now THAT'S lateral thinking! :D

Rawcoll
8th February 2012, 08:58 AM
A very nice looking introduction, and I was going to say that this is what Olympus should have pulled out of the hat when it announced the demise of producton of the DSLRs other than the E-5. But on reflection, and I don't want this to sound as though I'm raining on their parade, given that they are still 'working on the solution to focusing existing 4/3 lenses', I can't help thinking that there will be many who will be disappointed. PDAF is so fundamental to camera design that one would have hoped a soluton had already been found. Without provision in-camera I guess Olympus will have to go down the route that Sony took with their LA-EA2 adaptor.

Another thing that I homed in on are the viewfinder characteristics (it matters to me!), and I see that the optical correction goes from -4 to +1 (the same as for traditional optical viewfinders), whereas the Lumix GH2 is -4 to +4. So for me, unless Oly has available viewfinder correction lenses, that could be a deal-breaker. Do you know if they are available, Ian?

I noticed from the blurb that the "Fine Detail Processing technology, first seen on the E-5, eliminates moiré...." Does that mean that this camera has a weak or non-existent low-pass filter like the E-5?

Anyway, it seems like a good step in the right direction. I wish it well.

Ian
8th February 2012, 09:03 AM
Now THAT'S lateral thinking! :D

I already do this if I'm being lazy because the 4:3 frame format is reasonably square.

Ian

Ian
8th February 2012, 09:07 AM
A very nice looking introduction, and I was going to say that this is what Olympus should have pulled out of the hat when it announced the demise of producton of the DSLRs other than the E-5. But on reflection, and I don't want this to sound as though I'm raining on their parade, given that they are still 'working on the solution to focusing existing 4/3 lenses', I can't help thinking that there will be many who will be disappointed. PDAF is so fundamental to camera design that one would have hoped a soluton had already been found. Without provision in-camera I guess Olympus will have to go down the route that Sony took with their LA-EA2 adaptor.

Another thing that I homed in on are the viewfinder characteristics (it matters to me!), and I see that the optical correction goes from -4 to +1 (the same as for traditional optical viewfinders), whereas the Lumix GH2 is -4 to +4. So for me, unless Oly has available viewfinder correction lenses, that could be a deal-breaker. Do you know if they are available, Ian?

I noticed from the blurb that the "Fine Detail Processing technology, first seen on the E-5, eliminates moiré...." Does that mean that this camera has a weak or non-existent low-pass filter like the E-5?

I will check concerning the diopter range for you. It's my understanding that since the E-5 and most (maybe all) Pens have a weaker anti-aliasing filter and corresponding detail processing, and that the E-M5 follows.

Ian

StephenL
8th February 2012, 09:12 AM
SRS are taking pre-orders. Just made mine. GH2 now for sale.

Barr1e
8th February 2012, 09:24 AM
SRS are taking pre-orders. Just made mine. GH2 now for sale.

You have a private mail message Stephen.

Anne could be right behind you. :p

Regards. Barr1e

Kiwi Paul
8th February 2012, 09:39 AM
Have they said the price yet, the suggested retail price on the announcement page was 1099 euro so about £1K!! Dunno if I wanna fork that much out.

How did you pre order nothing on the SRS Web site did you call?

Paul

Olybirder
8th February 2012, 10:04 AM
Have they said the price yet, the suggested retail price on the announcement page was 1099 euro so about £1K!! Dunno if I wanna fork that much out.
According to DP Review the MRSP is £1149.99 with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 lens. Bearing in mind that that is the full price without any discounts, I don't think it is too bad. In fact I really, really want one! Finding the money is another matter altogether.

Ron

StephenL
8th February 2012, 11:12 AM

How did you pre order nothing on the SRS Web site did you call?

Paul

Phoned them. Sometimes it's nice to talk! ;)

I'm happy with a body price of £1k for that spec. Esp compared with E-5 price.

David M
8th February 2012, 11:34 AM
Much as I like the looks of the camera I think I'll wait for a generation or two, they may have solved the focusing problem with 4/3 lenses by then.

I'm going to stick to my plan of picking up an E-5 for my HG and SHG glass and have my E-3 for use with the set of MF primes I'm putting together.

Graham_of_Rainham
8th February 2012, 12:33 PM
As and when you get one to play with, can you please connect it to the computer and see if Studio will control it.

Also, can you fit the battery pack directly to the body, without the grip in place first ?

Thanks

Ian
8th February 2012, 12:35 PM
As and when you get one to play with, can you please connect it to the computer and see if Studio will control it.

Thanks

OK I will try, but I'll also ask Toshi if he knows.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
8th February 2012, 12:36 PM
Well it looks good and I'm tempted... but

Exposure Compensation is ± 3ev, since I regularly shoot down to -7ev (and upto +4) for church interiors that represents a possible problem. Pity as it's controlled by firmware doing the maths rather than hardware. Mayhaps the greater dynamic range of the sensor will help - but ?

And of course I have a great fear of touch screen systems - I'm quite capable of confusing myself with the available physical controls - let alone ones I can brush accidently. Can it be turned off?.

But for landscape, portraiture etc it looks like a very promising little beastie.

Nick

benvendetta
8th February 2012, 12:42 PM
My office starts a 4 day week this week so no E-M5 for me in the near future *sob
Still hoping to go to Focus though *yes

Ian
8th February 2012, 12:44 PM
If you need extreme compensation, surely just shoot in manual? The AE exposure bracketing allows 7 steps as wide as 0.7 EV or 5 steps as wide as whole EVs. This is the same as the E-5 (and the most recent Pens).

The touch screen can be turned off - and if it's like the E-P3, bizarrely - you touch the screen to turn it on or off :D (when it's off only a tiny spot on the screen remains sensitive).

Ian

Ross the fiddler
8th February 2012, 12:51 PM
Much as I like the looks of the camera I think I'll wait for a generation or two, they may have solved the focusing problem with 4/3 lenses by then.

I'm going to stick to my plan of picking up an E-5 for my HG and SHG glass and have my E-3 for use with the set of MF primes I'm putting together.

If I'd had waited for the next E30 generation, then.... *erm

Nick Temple-Fry
8th February 2012, 01:17 PM
If you need extreme compensation, surely just shoot in manual? The AE exposure bracketing allows 7 steps as wide as 0.7 EV or 5 steps as wide as whole EVs. This is the same as the E-5 (and the most recent Pens).

The touch screen can be turned off - and if it's like the E-P3, bizarrely - you touch the screen to turn it on or off :D (when it's off only a tiny spot on the screen remains sensitive).

Ian

Thanks Ian, but exposure compensation is ± 5ev on the E-5 (and E-3), giving a total range of -7 to +7, whereas the PENs and the EM-5 are ± 3ev giving -5 to +5. Of course there are ways round this and my shooting requirements are quite specific, but they are important to me.

For anyone who doesn't regularly shoot in low lux environments with very bright highlights it wont be an issue.

Nick

Ian
8th February 2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks Ian, but exposure compensation is ± 5ev on the E-5 (and E-3), giving a total range of -7 to +7, whereas the PENs and the EM-5 are ± 3ev giving -5 to +5. Of course there are ways round this and my shooting requirements are quite specific, but they are important to me.

For anyone who doesn't regularly shoot in low lux environments with very bright highlights it wont be an issue.

Nick

You're right. Not sure why there is a difference - another one to add to the can you answer this please list :D

Ian

benvendetta
8th February 2012, 01:32 PM
I would have preferred the screen to move like my E-3 (so useful) so that it could be parked against the camera. The size of it is great but looks vulnerable. Will there be a specific protection cover or simialar for it?
Pity the tripod bush is offset on the body. Much better in the centre.
Information about the camera's performance (real world) with my decent 4/3 glass is eagerly awaited.
Earlier information suggested that the 4/3 adapter would come with the E-M5 but that does not now seem to be the case (just the flash). Including it would encourage more migration from 4/3 to micro 4/3.
I don't know a great deal about the PEN's - do they have a dust buster or is it not needed. If so, does the E-M5 have one too?

Ian
8th February 2012, 01:37 PM
The on-body tripod bush is only slightly off-centre and the grip's bush is centred. It's not as extreme as the locking wheels indicate.

I'm not aware of any protective clip-on plastic screens like some DSLRs have. After-market stick-on protective screens are available of course.

All E-System cameras since the E-1, including all Pens, and also including all Leica and Panasonic Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds camera models have SSWF anti-dust systems. The E-M5 too.

Ian

swing
8th February 2012, 02:22 PM
Will plugging the optional AC adaptor into the battery grip charge either (or both) of the batteries, as well as allowing the camera to be directly powered?

Ian
8th February 2012, 02:33 PM
Will plugging the optional AC adaptor into the battery grip charge either (or both) of the batteries, as well as allowing the camera to be directly powered?

Good question - I don't have a firm answer. The AC-3 mains adapter enables the camera to be powered continuously all day long. Whether it charges the batteries, too, I don't know. Usually such arrangements don't charge the battery, but I will try to get an answer for you.

Ian

swing
8th February 2012, 02:39 PM
Usually such arrangements don't charge the battery, but I will try to get an answer for you.

Thanks; it's logical that it doesn't (the main Olympus Accessories website only talks about powering the camera), and it would mean have charging capabilities built into the camera, which isn't that common. Of course conversely, it'll mean taking the grip off to allow the battery stored within the camera to be charged.

Also, any idea (I know it's still really early since the launch!) when the free grip offer will end; ie will there be any chances to handle the camera and still get the free grip, or is it only going to be on offer for those who truly pre-order?

StephenL
8th February 2012, 03:02 PM
As the EVF/Screen switching is controlled by a sensor, does this mean that if you're using the EVF, touching the screen with your nose won't activate the shutter?

Also, do those of us who have pre-ordered have to register the fact with Olympus in order to get the free grip?

crimbo
8th February 2012, 05:16 PM
E5 or EM-5 or wait for the E7?
well on lenses and batteries I already have...staying 4/3 still appears to be the best answer...unless i sell the 4/3 stuff...then should it be Nikon or m43.
think i need to sit on my hands a bit!

E-P1 fan
8th February 2012, 05:54 PM
Just had an email from Olympus. Blimey that OMD really attracts me bigtime - really retro but with all the bells and whistles too - I want one

benvendetta
8th February 2012, 06:26 PM
The on-body tripod bush is only slightly off-centre and the grip's bush is centred. It's not as extreme as the locking wheels indicate.

I'm not aware of any protective clip-on plastic screens like some DSLRs have. After-market stick-on protective screens are available of course.

All E-System cameras since the E-1, including all Pens, and also including all Leica and Panasonic Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds camera models have SSWF anti-dust systems. The E-M5 too.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Ian
8th February 2012, 06:41 PM
As the EVF/Screen switching is controlled by a sensor, does this mean that if you're using the EVF, touching the screen with your nose won't activate the shutter?

Also, do those of us who have pre-ordered have to register the fact with Olympus in order to get the free grip?

Haha - someone else wants to know if it's possible to manipulate the focus point by touching the screen with a finger tip while viewing through the EVF. I think your need is more likely to be supported :)

Olympus will send your grip directly to you. Therefore I think the dealer needs to inform Olympus with your details.

Ian

IainMacD
8th February 2012, 06:49 PM
Oooh I would really like one of these, but there is one important question in my mind...

Just how would I get to work if I sold the car!!!:D

I'll stick with what I have for now and look on enviously when those early buyers start posting examples of what this camera can turn out

Iain

Ulfric M Douglas
8th February 2012, 07:30 PM
I have a question but I know Ian cannot yet answer it.
Last year I was using a chunky Sony-A450 with maybe 7 fps and found the picture quality wasn't so good at max frames speed but better at slower speeds.
I'm wondering what the new Olympus will be like at 9 fps ... since there have never been any 4/3rds or m4/3rds that can do that kind of speed.
And of course what the bugger will allow. :o Buffer! I meant to say Buffer!
That's one of the things that put me off the G3 : it was almost as sluggish buffer-wise as my old G1 !

gazza95
8th February 2012, 07:46 PM
Ian

I am interested to know how well E-M5 supports the SHG lenses. So is there any equivalent of phase detection focusing.

Gary

drmarkf
8th February 2012, 07:47 PM
Wonderful: very helpful thread - many thanks for removing a few nagging doubts about whether I was going to have to drop a thousand quid SRS's way *chr

I've never bought a camera untried before, but I am going to make an exception this time, especially with the 'free' grip deal (doing a few quick sums, I think this is likely to remain quite a good deal even when the street prices emerge over the summer, and if I was prepared to wait that long).

I have 2 major and several minor gripes with my existing EPL-2:

- only a single control dial, and it's all too easy to activate one of the 4 control menus while using it in haste.
- I love the VF-2 in use, but the catch is weak and it keeps flipping up at inconvenient times. It also occasionally partially unclips from the flash mount.

These are obviously fully sorted in the new model and I'd pay the price for these handling improvements alone.

My minor gripes include:

- rather plasticky & impermanent handling and feel.
- sluggish C-AF for motorsports, and slow multi-shot, and small buffer.
- dynamic range could be better (not as good as my E5 and certainly not my D-300).
- weatherproofing.
- short battery life (with the EVF especially).
- no screen articulation.

Any improvements in any of these areas will just be a bonus. It's a shame yet another battery type is needed (BLN-1), however.

Plus it looks (and, I suspect, feels) like my beloved OM-4 :)

Ian
8th February 2012, 08:03 PM
Ian

I am interested to know how well E-M5 supports the SHG lenses. So is there any equivalent of phase detection focusing.

Gary

Sorry, there has not yet been a break through in this area, although Olympus suggest they are working on a solution. The only good news is that the MMF3 adapter now has an o-ring to enable full dust and moisture proofing between Four Thirds lenses and MFT bodies and especially the sealed E-M5 body.

Ian

Invicta
8th February 2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Ian,

Couple of questions I hope you could help clarify:

1) Does the new E-M5 have the auto focus adjustment feature like on the E5?

2) Is the improved noise reduction in the Raw file or just in JPEG files?

Melaka
8th February 2012, 08:23 PM
Sorry, there has not yet been a break through in this area, although Olympus suggest they are working on a solution. The only good news is that the MMF3 adapter now has an o-ring to enable full dust and moisture proofing between Four Thirds lenses and MFT bodies and especially the sealed E-M5 body.

Ian

It looks as if there may not be much to tempt those of us with an E5 and Top Pro or even Pro glass to switch to MFT. That's a pity as this is the first Oly MFT camera that's been worth a second look in my opinion.

Ian
8th February 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Ian,

Couple of questions I hope you could help clarify:

1) Does the new E-M5 have the auto focus adjustment feature like on the E5?

2) Is the improved noise reduction in the Raw file or just in JPEG files?

Because phase detect range-finding AF is not used there is no need for an AF calibration facility. Focus is determined by the main sensor using contrast detect AF.

The Olympus data is not very specific and I got caught out by this question when the E-P3 was launched last year. But if we assume that the sensor is closely related to that used in the Panasonic Lumix G3 and the GX1, then the RAW file is improved. The data I have indicates a half EV improvement in noise at ISO 1600 and one third EV in dynamic range at the same ISO sensitivity.

Ian

gazza95
8th February 2012, 08:36 PM
Ian, thanks for update

drmarkf
8th February 2012, 08:43 PM
There's no mention I can find of a vertical/horizontal indicator in the viewfinder - I take it there isn't one?

drmarkf
8th February 2012, 08:49 PM
It looks as if there may not be much to tempt those of us with an E5 and Top Pro or even Pro glass to switch to MFT. That's a pity as this is the first Oly MFT camera that's been worth a second look in my opinion.

Size and weight in my case - but I'm not switching, but rather looking to improve my lightweight travel system.

The newly announced 12-35 and 35-100 MFT Panasonic lenses may throw in some difficult decisions and potentical for switching - but I'd most certainly try them very carefully before I considered doing anything radical with my E5/SHG kit.

Invicta
8th February 2012, 08:59 PM
Because phase detect range-finding AF is not used there is no need for an AF calibration facility. Focus is determined by the main sensor using contrast detect AF.

The Olympus data is not very specific and I got caught out by this question when the E-P3 was launched last year. But if we assume that the sensor is closely related to that used in the Panasonic Lumix G3 and the GX1, then the RAW file is improved. The data I have indicates a half EV improvement in noise at ISO 1600 and one third EV in dynamic range at the same ISO sensitivity.

Ian

Thanks Ian, useful info especially on how the auto focus works. I think the E-M5 would make a nice travel setup.

DJMC
8th February 2012, 10:57 PM
Ooooooh... nice in silver: http://olympusomd.com/en-GB/omd/e-m5/overview/gallery/#

Reminds me of my old OM-2n

:)

Olybirder
8th February 2012, 11:39 PM
Ooooooh... nice in silver: http://olympusomd.com/en-GB/omd/e-m5/overview/gallery/#

Reminds me of my old OM-2n

Looking at those images I have just noticed that the silver version appears to have a mock leather grain finish, whereas the black version's is a more technical looking abstract texture. Is this correct?

Ron

drmarkf
8th February 2012, 11:47 PM
I've now read the specs more carefully, and there is a 2 axis viewfinder level indicator like that on the E5.

Ian
9th February 2012, 07:44 AM
I've now read the specs more carefully, and there is a 2 axis viewfinder level indicator like that on the E5.

Yes, this is straight from the Pens. The E-5 only offers one axis in the viewfinder, two on the screen.

Ian

Zuiko
9th February 2012, 08:07 AM
Looking at those images I have just noticed that the silver version appears to have a mock leather grain finish, whereas the black version's is a more technical looking abstract texture. Is this correct?

Ron

It certainly appears that way and from what I can see I prefer the "mock leather" on the silver version. :)

Ian
9th February 2012, 08:22 AM
I always preferred the black OMs - I had several OM10s and used OM1 and OM2n bodies but never owned my own '1' or '2' - I nearly bought an OM2sp...

Ian

benvendetta
9th February 2012, 01:29 PM

My feelings now exactly. I don't want (can't afford to!) to replace my HG and SHG lenses with inferior micro 4/3 ones just to use the camera to its full potential. It does look gorgeous though.

StephenL
9th February 2012, 01:44 PM
Do I sense a touch of glass snobbery? :)

True, the first lens incarnations of m4/3 might have been a little lacking to pixel-peepers, but there's a lot of good m4/3 glass out there now, and more coming. The only downside, for those to whom it matters, is the weatherproofing.

And it's OK for you young things with strong shoulders! What about us old decrepit oldies suffering from arthritis and worse? :D

(No offence intended to anyone)

Ian
9th February 2012, 02:26 PM
There seems to be some confusion about when the E-M5 will ship. The latest word from Olympus is that Europe will get stock in mid May.

Ian

wanderer
9th February 2012, 08:13 PM
Do I sense a touch of glass snobbery?

Horses for courses. I would think (nothing to back it up yet) that this is a good climber's camera where compactness and durability count.
My hill kit is the e-5/HLD-4 with 12-60 in a camera bag and 50-200 and 50mm macro in the rucsac. I use a Velbon mini tripod as well.
I used to hammer my OM-1 and 2 to the extent that when the OM-1 (non N) broke and I took it for repair, the manny in the shop told me that the base plate, where the electrical bits were, had fused solid as a result of wet and salt.:( Too much Hebrides)
The E-3 and E-5 do a great job in the wet. Not too many deserts in Scotland so I don't know about sand.
I enjoyed wandering the hills with an OM-1 50mm F1.8 fitted and 28mm wide and 75-150 zoom in the rucsac. Great combination until you ran out of film.:eek:

drmarkf
9th February 2012, 09:50 PM
Horses for courses. I would think (nothing to back it up yet) that this is a good climber's camera where compactness and durability count.
I enjoyed wandering the hills with an OM-1 50mm F1.8 fitted and 28mm wide and 75-150 zoom in the rucsac. Great combination until you ran out of film.:eek:

Yes, I hope to use it for this (well, hillwalking & scrambling these days, rather than climbing :) ). The point about available lens robustness and weatherproofing is fair, although having now got quite a lot of use out of my Panny MFT 25mm f1.4 I think this would be one reliable component of a hillwalking kit.

Many years ago I threw my OM-1 and 50mm f1.4 quite a long way down Helvellyn, and all it collected was a cracked viewfinder (still worked fine!).

swing
10th February 2012, 09:05 AM
will there be any chances to handle the camera and still get the free grip, or is it only going to be on offer for those who truly pre-order?
Possibly answering my own question, but I've just re-read the Olympus OM-D ad in AP, and actually noticed the bit that says

"Everyone who pre-registers will be eligible for an invitation to exclusive events to view the new camera before it is available to buy"which implies there will be opportunities to handle the camera and still pre-order. I assume (based on no knowledge) these events will be in dealerships, who would be more than happy to accept orders at the events themselves.

Although I hope when they say "to view the camera" they don't intend to be too literal with that!

Ian
10th February 2012, 10:07 AM
The camera won't be available until mid-May so there is plenty if time. I'm sure there will be in-store demos around the country, there is Focus on Imaging of course, and we ourselves will be running some hands-on studio events in London and Birmingham.

Ian

benvendetta
10th February 2012, 03:44 PM
Can't wait for Focus! My circumstances are now that I cannot aford the new omd but if I could it would be to use with my existing glass rather than micro 43 glass. Yes it may be good but there is the cost to replicate what I already have. Think I will stick with what I have until that 45 million Euro lottery win comes along........

yorky
10th February 2012, 04:59 PM
Can't wait for Focus! My circumstances are now that I cannot aford the new omd but if I could it would be to use with my existing glass rather than micro 43 glass. Yes it may be good but there is the cost to replicate what I already have. Think I will stick with what I have until that 45 million Euro lottery win comes along........

My sentiments as well, after all there isn't all that much wrong with the E5:cool:

Zuiko
10th February 2012, 05:17 PM

Might be worth waiting until the next model anyway if you're intending to use 4/3 glass, by then they may resolve the focus issue. Of course, it may be backwards compatible if in the form of an adapter, but if it's on-sensor then only the new model will have it.

Zuiko
10th February 2012, 05:19 PM
My sentiments as well, after all there isn't all that much wrong with the E5:cool:

If it ain't broke don't fix it! The main reason to change would be if you specifically needed a smaller, lighter system. Changing primarilly for the new sensor in my opinion wouldn't be worthwhile.

David M
10th February 2012, 10:47 PM
I've got a question for when Ian gets one in his hands.

Is there a socket in the base for an anti-rotation pin?

OlyPaul
11th February 2012, 08:29 AM
My feelings now exactly. I don't want (can't afford to!) to replace my HG and SHG lenses with inferior micro 4/3 ones just to use the camera to its full potential. It does look gorgeous though.

I'm in the same boat myself Dave and yes it is gorgeous.*inlove

Do I sense a touch of glass snobbery? :)

True, the first lens incarnations of m4/3 might have been a little lacking to pixel-peepers, but there's a lot of good m4/3 glass out there now, and more coming. The only downside, for those to whom it matters, is the weatherproofing.

And it's OK for you young things with strong shoulders! What about us old decrepit oldies suffering from arthritis and worse? :D

(No offence intended to anyone)

No offence taken Stephen but I don't think it's a case of glass snobbery , just a case of all the kids in the sandbox can't afford all the latest toys,this decrepit oldie included.:)

And if I did/were toi change systems completly I can just hear the ghost of my dear Mother muttering her favourite words to me when I was young, "more money than sense":eek:;)

Ian
11th February 2012, 09:43 AM
I've got a question for when Ian gets one in his hands.

Is there a socket in the base for an anti-rotation pin?

Pretty sure that's a no because the base is so narrow. But I will confirm when I can.

Ian

DJMC
11th February 2012, 12:41 PM

I'd like to see side by side photos with an OM-2n just to compare...

Oh... here's an OM-1 side by side...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/omd-em5/omd-em5A.HTM

http://asia.cnet.com/product/olympus-om-d-e-m5-45840535.htm

I'm off to the US in June/July, I wonder what the best way to buy one over there is (they seem cheaper)?

;)

swing
11th February 2012, 01:19 PM
I'm off to the US in June/July, I wonder what the best way to buy one over there is (they seem cheaper)?

I've not seen any mention of the free grip option in the US, which might make the price difference a little closer.

Chevvyf1
11th February 2012, 02:24 PM
Phoned them. Sometimes it's nice to talk! ;)

I'm happy with a body price of £1k for that spec. Esp compared with E-5 price.

StephenL, I was never going to buy another camera ... after my E-5 last May :D BUT this OM-D promises the Moon & the Stars for Birds or Sport with focus lock and tracking alone :eek: so I phoned PARK cameras and ordered one :D

The OM-D is less than half the weight of the E-5 - I don't know how I shall cope with that :eek: and I hope the OM-D will cope with the 50-200 & BIGMA lenses on a converter step ring :cool:

I am hoping my new cam arrives early to mid May (or April would be excellent :eek:)

David M
11th February 2012, 02:25 PM
Pretty sure that's a no because the base is so narrow. But I will confirm when I can.

Ian

If that's the case until one of the custom Arca Swiss quick release plate makers comes out with a solution I won't be considering one.

Nick Temple-Fry
11th February 2012, 02:59 PM
StephenL, I was never going to buy another camera ... after my E-5 last May :D BUT this OM-D promises the Moon & the Stars for Birds or Sport with focus lock and tracking alone :eek: so I phoned PARK cameras and ordered one :D

The OM-D is less than half the weight of the E-5 - I don't know how I shall cope with that :eek: and I hope the OM-D will cope with the 50-200 & BIGMA lenses on a converter step ring :cool:

I am hoping my new cam arrives early to mid May (or April would be excellent :eek:)

Well, it may well be that the smarter focus capabilities will only be with m4/3'rds lenses, I suspect that 4/3'rds will be limited to S-AF.

Nick

Chevvyf1
11th February 2012, 03:09 PM
Well, it may well be that the smarter focus capabilities will only be with m4/3'rds lenses, I suspect that 4/3'rds will be limited to S-AF.

Nick

Oh! NO ! :eek::eek::eek:

Ian HELP ? is this true ? :confused:

StephenL
11th February 2012, 03:58 PM

I'm pretty sure it's true, although I suspect there may still be a focus speed benefit compared with previous m4/3 cameras.

If you have a good E-3 or E-5 setup, then I agree there's no need to change UNLESS it's for weight/size reasons.

Chevvyf1
11th February 2012, 04:31 PM
I'm pretty sure it's true, although I suspect there may still be a focus speed benefit compared with previous m4/3 cameras.

If you have a good E-3 or E-5 setup, then I agree there's no need to change UNLESS it's for weight/size reasons.

Well I am just about to cancel my order ... will confirm THIS ... and then save myself a £1000 :eek:

drmarkf
11th February 2012, 04:38 PM
If that's the case until one of the custom Arca Swiss quick release plate makers comes out with a solution I won't be considering one.

I've got a Kirk PZ-130 I use with my E-PL2, and as soon as I can get my hands on a demo OM-D I'll let everyone know if it fits...

Zuiko
11th February 2012, 05:35 PM

;)

Purchase in the US? Yes, it will be cheaper but no free grip, you run the gauntlet of customs when returning to the UK (you should pay VAT at 20%) and no UK guarantee so no Olympus support if any problems. :eek:

Ian
11th February 2012, 05:43 PM

This is true. Olympus has made no claims to the contrary.

What Olympus has said is that they are considering a solution that will enable FT lenses to focus on MFT bodies like they do on FT bodies.

I think Olympus will deliver on this, but when is anyone's guess.

Ian

Ian
11th February 2012, 05:45 PM
I've not seen any mention of the free grip option in the US, which might make the price difference a little closer.

The free grip is a UK initiative only as far as I know.

Ian

drmarkf
11th February 2012, 05:52 PM
Purchase in the US? Yes, it will be cheaper but no free grip, you run the gauntlet of customs when returning to the UK (you should pay VAT at 20%) and no UK guarantee so no Olympus support if any problems. :eek:

Yes, even when the $-£ rate was very favourable I only ever bought the occasional well-established lens and simple mechanical accessory while in the US. (I think you're also supposed to pay import duty along with the VAT).

I don't honestly think the first releases of an entirely new and complex body (with a trick sensor suspension system) would be worth the risk...

Ian
11th February 2012, 05:54 PM

Umm, faster single shot AF with MFT lenses, tracking AF with MFT lenses, much better HD video recording, better IS, touch screen, better sensor, etc.

Ian

DJMC
11th February 2012, 06:07 PM
:(

OK... forgetting a US buy now.

Will buy some guns instead! :)

;)

swing
11th February 2012, 06:14 PM
A quick & rough calculation; I reckon with the grip and VAT it's roughly the same price; potentially more if you get stung by the credit card company on the exchange rate, so with the lack of support there's in the UK there's possibly no benefit.

Bikie John
11th February 2012, 06:51 PM
The free grip is a UK initiative only as far as I know.

Ian

I think it may be a bit selective about where you order it as well. Something to do with "Oly elite" dealers, but I don't know what the details are. Worth checking before taking the plunge.

Ian, any clarity you can shed on this will be useful.

Ciao ... John

swing
11th February 2012, 07:00 PM
I think it may be a bit selective about where you order it as well. Something to do with "Oly elite" dealers, but I don't know what the details are. Worth checking before taking the plunge.
There's an OM-D ad from Olympus that appears on the sister Four Thirds User forum when you're not logged in (it might be here too, but I'm logged in); it mentions the free grip offer:

Free 2-part grip

Claim an HLD-6 on redemption when you pre-order from selected stockists including all Olympus Elite Centres. Please ask for further details.
So, it's potentially wider than just Elite Centres, but it's not clear whether it'll be supplied with the order (one Elite Centre is saying that) or whether it's a mail in rebate from Olympus UK afterwards.

StephenL
11th February 2012, 07:21 PM
Umm, faster single shot AF with MFT lenses, tracking AF with MFT lenses, much better HD video recording, better IS, touch screen, better sensor, etc.

Ian

Apart from that ... :D

One of the main reasons I'm getting one is that it will combine and build on the existing benefits of the Pen and the Panny G series. The best of both worlds and then some.

StephenL
11th February 2012, 07:24 PM
There's an OM-D ad from Olympus that appears on the sister Four Thirds User forum when you're not logged in (it might be here too, but I'm logged in); it mentions the free grip offer:

So, it's potentially wider than just Elite Centres, but it's not clear whether it'll be supplied with the order (one Elite Centre is saying that) or whether it's a mail in rebate from Olympus UK afterwards.

SRS say that they will send the grip. Olympus say that the instructions on obtaining one will be in the box. Anyroad, I've got a chitty from SRS saying I've pre-ordered, so there should be no argument.

swing
11th February 2012, 07:27 PM
Indeed, SRS are the one Elite Centre I mentioned saying they will supply the grip with the order; I do wonder if Elite Centres will supply with the order, and non Elite Centres will have the mail in voucher in box.

drmarkf
11th February 2012, 07:55 PM
SRS say that they will send the grip... Anyroad, I've got a chitty from SRS saying I've pre-ordered, so there should be no argument.

Yes, me too. If there's any problem you can hold 'em and I'll hit 'em :)

Zuiko
11th February 2012, 08:11 PM
:(

Will buy some guns instead! :)

;)

Don't shoot the messenger!! :eek:

Chevvyf1
11th February 2012, 10:22 PM

I wonder if the E-5 may get a s/w update which gives it Focus Lock and Tracing BIGTIME ? ... Ian any chance ? or just the usual two chances (little and none :eek: )

Ross the fiddler
11th February 2012, 11:20 PM

Ian

Nicely put Ian. :D

Nick Temple-Fry
12th February 2012, 01:45 AM
I wonder if the E-5 may get a s/w update which gives it Focus Lock and Tracing BIGTIME ? ... Ian any chance ? or just the usual two chances (little and none :eek: )

Chevvf1

I suspect it is my day for disappointing you.

Phase detection AF works by sending the light off to a seperate area in the camera where there are specific individual sensors to detect focus - one for each focus point. So the E-5 is physically designed with a fixed number of focus points, it can't hold/detect focus inbetween.

Contrast Detection (as in the Pens OM-D) uses the main camera sensor, theoretically there are as many possible focus points as there are pixels (albeit limited by the fact they have to cover enough of the image to get contrast). So once you've got focus you have a 'pattern of contrast' which can be tracked as it moves across the sensor, driving the lens to keep that pattern at maximum contrast.

Tied to that is the different ways an image is brought to focus - phase detection notices how far apart the oof areas of the target point are (does a little maths) and brings them together in one big push of the lens.

Contrast detection hasn't the foggiest idea how oof the target area is, it just shuffles the lenses about till it reaches maximum contrast. So lenses designed for contrast detection tend to have lighter elements mounted in such a way as to have rapid repeated movements.

The Pens OM-D (and truth be told the compacts before them) are starting to exploit the cleverer bits of CDAF (Contast Detection) and if you want those facilities you need the lenses/cameras designed for them.

Take your choice from little or none, I know where my share of your £1000 is.

Nick

Ian
12th February 2012, 09:48 AM

Ian, any clarity you can shed on this will be useful.

Ciao ... John

I will get an answer on Monday.

Ian

Ian
12th February 2012, 09:53 AM

I believe that all Olympus cameras and lenses have a one year international warranty, but certainly in Europe, Olympus cameras purchased here also get a second warranty year.

Ian

Ian
12th February 2012, 09:55 AM

My understanding is that Olympus will supply the grip separately to people who claim it.

Ian

Ian
12th February 2012, 10:36 AM
Chevvf1

I suspect it is my day for disappointing you.

Phase detection AF works by sending the light off to a seperate area in the camera where there are specific individual sensors to detect focus - one for each focus point. So the E-5 is physically designed with a fixed number of focus points, it can't hold/detect focus inbetween.

Contrast Detection (as in the Pens OM-D) uses the main camera sensor, theoretically there are as many possible focus points as there are pixels (albeit limited by the fact they have to cover enough of the image to get contrast). So once you've got focus you have a 'pattern of contrast' which can be tracked as it moves across the sensor, driving the lens to keep that pattern at maximum contrast.

Tied to that is the different ways an image is brought to focus - phase detection notices how far apart the oof areas of the target point are (does a little maths) and brings them together in one big push of the lens.

Contrast detection hasn't the foggiest idea how oof the target area is, it just shuffles the lenses about till it reaches maximum contrast. So lenses designed for contrast detection tend to have lighter elements mounted in such a way as to have rapid repeated movements.

The Pens OM-D (and truth be told the compacts before them) are starting to exploit the cleverer bits of CDAF (Contast Detection) and if you want those facilities you need the lenses/cameras designed for them.

Take your choice from little or none, I know where my share of your £1000 is.

Nick

I would like to refine what Nick says if that's OK :)

Nick is absolutely correct in that MFT lenses are not just smaller and lighter because optically they can be because the mirror is gone, but because lighter optics means they can be focused much faster. But the choice of focus motor type and mechanical gearing are all optimised for contrast detect AF.

The E-5 uses phase detect AF and this is a range-finding system; the system detect which way focus needs to be adjusted and even by how much so the lens AF can be sent most of the way to the focus point in one action and then there is some refinement as it finds perfect lock. But this is all reliant on an accurately calibrated system as the focus is determined by a system separate to the imaging sensor. If the AF system is not calibrated then all your shots will be out of focus.

Contrast detect CAN work out which way focus should be changed. It measures the contrast at the focus point then moves focus slightly. If the contrast improves then that confirms focus should be moved further in the same direction. If not, then go the other way. When you go past the point of correct focus the contrast starts to drop. The system then back-tracks to the point of best focus. So the lens focus stops and starts all the time and this requires low intertia in the system and the right mechanical gearing connected to the most-suited type of focus motor.

Let's not forget that the E-5 (and E-30 and all E-System cameras back to the E-420 and E520) can focus using contrast detect and indeed there are some Four Thirds lenses optimised for contrast detect AF, like the 14-42 and 40-150 kit lenses, the 14-54 II, 9-18, and some Panasonic lenses, most notably the 14-150 Pan/Leica. SWD lenses are not optimised.

But the Four Thirds CDAF optimised lenses only solved half the problem as they also had to work with Phase Detect AF, so the gearing was improved for CDAF but that awas about it. The lenses had relatively high intertia glass.

Contrast detect AF in Four Thirds cameras is also hampered by the way the AF system communicates with the lens. When Micro Four Thirds was developed, although backwards compatibility was designed in, the needs for CDAF meant extra communication pin/contacts were implemented with the lens mount. This probably explains why FT lenses can't work with continuous AF both on contrast detect AF on a FT body or a MFT body.

I'm less sure about focus tracking - which is all about object detection and recognition and so is a software task. Face detection is a specialising tracking mode and this is supported on the E-5 in live view mode. But face detection doesn't need continuous AF and neither does general purpose tracking (which is not, if my memory serves, supported in the E-5). So I think you could have focus tracking on the E-5 if Olympus devoted some resource to updating the firmware.

Focusing tracking would not work in PDAF mode as, as Nick says, there aren't enough focus points.

So, to summarise, C-AF in live view/CDAF using Four Thirds lenses on either a Four Thirds or Micro Four Thirds body is not likely to happen ever. In theory, focus tracking should work - it may even work with FT lenses on some MFT bodies - I haven't tried this and will try to asap. The E-5 was produced before Olympus developed its focus tracking system for the Pens (apart from face detection) so that's why it's not on the E-5. To make FT lenses work at their best on MFT you need a lens adapter that incorporates a PDAF system and that would need some kind of semi-silvered mirror just as Sony's solution for their NEX cameras. I personally believe that Olympus is working on a solution like that for MFT camera users who want to use FT lenses.

I know the above is a bit rambling but I hope it makes some sense!

Ian

peak4
12th February 2012, 10:46 AM
Ian, is there a link anywhere to the Olympus EU offer on the free grip with Pre-Orders?
Obviously I've read about it on this and other forums & newsgroups, but can't see the offer on Olympus.co.uk
I'm asking as I'd like to see the wording and timescales. I'd prefer to see some more advanced reviews before committing to Pre-Order but I'm going on holiday for the last 3 weeks in March. If I fail to Pre-Order before I go and the camera starts shipping on 1st of April, will I have missed the boat?

I hope they'd have more sense than to start shipping on All Fools Day, but who knows. :rolleyes:

Chevvyf1
12th February 2012, 10:59 AM
Ian, is there a link anywhere to the Olympus EU offer on the free grip with Pre-Orders?
Obviously I've read about it on this and other forums & newsgroups, but can't see the offer on Olympus.co.uk
I'm asking as I'd like to see the wording and timescales. I'd prefer to see some more advanced reviews before committing to Pre-Order but I'm going on holiday for the last 3 weeks in March. If I fail to Pre-Order before I go and the camera starts shipping on 1st of April, will I have missed the boat?

I hope they'd have more sense than to start shipping on All Fools Day, but who knows. :rolleyes:

Hi Bill, IF you phone pre order with Park Cameras - check their website offer - if you change your mind no probs :) Park are nice people :) :) :D
have a nice hols :)

Chevvyf1
12th February 2012, 11:03 AM
Nick and Ian - you have not dissapointed me Nick :D I THANK YOU *chr for your excellent optics knowledge :D and Ian too *chr *yes

It would be nice, VERY Nice if Oly did a firmware upgrade for the E-5 :D it really was a bit of a disappointment :( in the E-5 and is the one reason I too would go *anon :( unwillingly, but for pure function ! Ian if you can bend an ear :) please do ...

... after all it would be a re launch of the upgraded E-5 and make loads of money for little effort and make so many of us Oly's happy (er)

Olybirder
12th February 2012, 11:08 AM
Ian, as the E-M5 doesn't have an inbuilt flash, does it have a focus assist system for low light? I find the strobing flash system on my E-30 to be very annoying and inefficient. Compacts seem to manage so much better indoors in poor light.

Ron

peak4
12th February 2012, 12:07 PM
Hi Bill, IF you phone pre order with Park Cameras - check their website offer - if you change your mind no probs :) Park are nice people :) :) :D
have a nice hols :)

Thanks Chevvy, but if I do bite the bullet, I'll be going to Harrisons, my local dealer. It will probably be the same price everywhere and it's in my interest to help keep them in business. They're a Pen Elite centre, as well as offering brilliant customer service.
I got my E-3 through them and needed the after sales several times, both for the original and then the replacement body :rolleyes:
I know I can pop in and ask them, but was after a look at the terms of the offer before I do so.

Nick Temple-Fry
12th February 2012, 12:07 PM
I would like to refine what Nick says if that's OK :)

<snip>

I know the above is a bit rambling but I hope it makes some sense!

Ian

Thanks Ian, that was a useful expansion on what I said and clarifies several bits of it. In fact you've got the basis there of a good article to 'explain' the two systems and what the differences mean in practise.

I suspect a lot of queries about the EM-5 will be solved when the product manual hits the download sections of the company website, any idea when that will be?

Nick

Ian
12th February 2012, 01:41 PM
Ian, as the E-M5 doesn't have an inbuilt flash, does it have a focus assist system for low light? I find the strobing flash system on my E-30 to be very annoying and inefficient. Compacts seem to manage so much better indoors in poor light.

Ron

The E-M5 has high-power LED dedicated for low light focus assist. :)

The E-M5 comes with a detachable mini flash (which can also wirelessly control FL RC flash units) but I don't know if it strobes for low light focus assist. I don't think it does and this is why there is an LED.

Ian

Ian
12th February 2012, 01:45 PM

I'm being told that the E-M5 won't ship until mid May. I believe the free grip is supplied directly by Olympus but the order is made via the dealer. But I will try to get some clarification of this.

Ian

Chevvyf1
12th February 2012, 01:51 PM
Thanks Chevvy, but if I do bite the bullet, I'll be going to Harrisons, my local dealer. It will probably be the same price everywhere and it's in my interest to help keep them in business. They're a Pen Elite centre, as well as offering brilliant customer service.
I got my E-3 through them and needed the after sales several times, both for the original and then the replacement body :rolleyes:
I know I can pop in and ask them, but was after a look at the terms of the offer before I do so.

I know what you mean Bill - used to live near a similar dealer and would ALWAYS BUY THERE - but they are no more :) often LCE in Winchester is good but not the Oly E-5 :( :eek: so I went online to Parks who had stock and are not far if any probs occur :)

peak4
12th February 2012, 02:05 PM
I'm being told that the E-M5 won't ship until mid May. I believe the free grip is supplied directly by Olympus but the order is made via the dealer. But I will try to get some clarification of this.

Ian

Thanks Ian, It was really about whether the OM-D offer was like the E-3 grip/ Backpack, where you had to Pre-Register an interest, of if you really do need to Pre -Order. The later flash offer just needed you to buy the camera as a normal purchase and email off a copy of the receipt.
The E-3 grip came direct from Oly in Germany like the Backpack.

David Morison
12th February 2012, 06:13 PM
Well, despite all the information that Ian has been able to give us plus all the promotional material plus all the rumour speculation none has been able to answer the very personal question of it's useability. So as far as I can see my best option, if I had any interest, I would first wait until the manual was available for download then study all the info relevant to me and finally find somewhere that had it in stock to go and play with. With such a new and advanced model I could not conceive of going down any other route.

David

StephenL
12th February 2012, 06:43 PM
Pre-ordering does not commit me to purchasing. And you'd be hard pushed to find anywhere round here stocking Pens, let alone the E-5, so the chance of handling an OM-D within a couple of years is pretty slim!

JonSchick
12th February 2012, 06:46 PM
David - agree with you wholeheartedly that, especially given this is not a mere update of an existing model (so you sort of know what you're getting) it makes sense to actually pick one up and have a play before paying.

I'm wondering if the OM-D (etc) may help reduce my kit by replacing both my GH-2 and my E-1, but I want to check it out first. It'll also need to focus reasonably quickly with the 14-54ii as I'm not desperately keen to buy the 12-50.

I'm also wondering about the grip - don't particularly want to buy a new body if it's only going to handle well with the grip attached, and the only way to find that out is to pick one up and try! I'm thinking a day off work and trip to Focus in Birmingham may be in order....

Graham_of_Rainham
12th February 2012, 06:47 PM
Well, despite all the information that Ian has been able to give us plus all the promotional material plus all the rumour speculation none has been able to answer the very personal question of it's useability. So as far as I can see my best option, if I had any interest, I would first wait until the manual was available for download then study all the info relevant to me and finally find somewhere that had it in stock to go and play with. With such a new and advanced model I could not conceive of going down any other route.

David

Be one of the first to own one and if you don't like it, sell it here or on eBay for a small profit :D

Ian
12th February 2012, 07:35 PM
OK - to clarify the question over Four Thirds lenses and C-AF and AF tracking:

1. Olympus AF tracking only works with C-AF and only on Pens (not sure about the oldest Pens - E-P1/2 or E-PL1) and OM-D family Micro Four Thirds cameras (Panasonic has its own system).

2. As you can't use C-AF with FT lenses on MFT bodies, there is no AF tracking option for FT lenses at all - except when using Face Detection, which is a sort of AF tracking. Face detection works with both MFT and the more recent FT bodies.

I hope that helps!

Ian

Zuiko
12th February 2012, 07:57 PM
OK - to clarify the question over Four Thirds lenses and C-AF and AF tracking:

1. Olympus AF tracking only works with C-AF and only on Pens (not sure about the oldest Pens - E-P1/2 or E-PL1) and OM-D family Micro Four Thirds cameras (Panasonic has its own system).

2. As you can't use C-AF with FT lenses on MFT bodies, there is no AF tracking option for FT lenses at all - except when using Face Detection, which is a sort of AF tracking. Face detection works with both MFT and the more recent FT bodies.

I hope that helps!

Ian

Thanks Ian, the thorough explanation of focusing ability in the different modes has been really helpful and clarified a lot of points. There is still the issue of how fast (or slow!) 4/3 lenses focus in S-AF on MFT cameras, but what is acceptable or not is a very personal perception that really needs hands on experience to gauge.

JonSchick
12th February 2012, 08:47 PM
John - you clearly don't need the new camera... I just checked out your wonderful Blurb book images and whatever you're using in combination with your talent is more than good enough thank you very much:D:D:D

Cheers,

Jon

Zuiko
12th February 2012, 09:29 PM
John - you clearly don't need the new camera... I just checked out your wonderful Blurb book images and whatever you're using in combination with your talent is more than good enough thank you very much:D:D:D

Cheers,

Jon

Well, none of us need a new camera, but......:D

And thanks for your kind comments about my book. :)

Ross the fiddler
12th February 2012, 09:36 PM
The E-M5 has high-power LED dedicated for low light focus assist. :)

The E-M5 comes with a detachable mini flash (which can also wirelessly control FL RC flash units) but I don't know if it strobes for low light focus assist. I don't think it does and this is why there is an LED.

Ian

Isn't the LED method better for CD-AF (for the CSC's) & the strobing flash better for PD-AF & this is why the strobing flash had been continued to be used on the DSLR's?

Ian
12th February 2012, 09:40 PM
Isn't the LED method better for CD-AF (for the CSC's) & the strobing flash better for PD-AF & this is why the strobing flash had been continued to be used on the DSLR's?

That makes a lot of sense to me.

Ian

David M
12th February 2012, 09:56 PM
Well, none of us need a new camera, but......:D

Yeah, I don't need one and a couple of things are really putting me off getting one.

But at the same time I keep looking at the Samyang 7.5mm mFT fisheye, my collection of OM primes and my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and thinking maybe it would be a nice camera for my 'going retro' with MF primes project.

Edit;

Add the Nokton 25mm f/0.95 to the list of mFT lenses I keep looking at.

Ross the fiddler
12th February 2012, 10:03 PM
I'm wondering if the OM-D (etc) may help reduce my kit by replacing both my GH-2 and my E-1, but I want to check it out first. It'll also need to focus reasonably quickly with the 14-54ii as I'm not desperately keen to buy the 12-50.

I think a good exersize with the this lens is to use live view on your DSLR (i.e., if you have one of the DSLR's that support CD-AF) & notice the time it takes to cycle the lens through it's focus range & apart from the E-M5 having a faster sensor read speed, I would imagine this should give you some indication how fast the lens can operate in CD-AF but with a quicker response time once it has found focus. That's my guess anyhow (not having played with a PEN either).

EDIT: Jon sorry, I should read what I'm replying to & notice what camera models you have as this advice would not really help you, but the GH-2 would probably give some indication with the adaptor, I guess (again).

JonSchick
12th February 2012, 10:32 PM
Hi Ross - the 14-54ii works quite well on the GH-2 - certainly a lot faster than the mk i version - but not really suitable for moving objects. Sounds like that will be the case with the OM too; shame - the 12-50 really doesn't rock my boat as it's simply too slow, especially at longer lengths. It'll be much more suitable for video where you need a shutter speed if 1/50 so the slow aperture may actually help....

Thankfully most of my shots of moving objects are taken with native m43 lenses, so not a deal-breaker.

Cheers,

Jon

drmarkf
12th February 2012, 11:18 PM
the 12-50 really doesn't rock my boat as it's simply too slow, especially at longer lengths.

Yes. Can anyone comment how good the forthcoming Panny 12-35 and 35-100 2.8 will likly be from the focussing speed point of view on the OM-D?

Ian
13th February 2012, 08:17 AM
Yes. Can anyone comment how good the forthcoming Panny 12-35 and 35-100 2.8 will likly be from the focussing speed point of view on the OM-D?

In terms of single shot AF speed all but the very oldest MFT lenses (Olympus and Panasonic) are as fast as you will ever need. There is no reason to think the new lenses you refer to will be any different.

The C-AF and tracking capability is more down to the body than the lens, but you should be able to shoot continuously with AF at 4.3 fps on an E-M5 with these lenses.

Ian

swing
13th February 2012, 11:17 AM
My understanding is that Olympus will supply the grip separately to people who claim it.

Ian
I found the following on DPNow, stated as a Press Release from Olympus UK:

Stop Press – Free Grip Offer
In a nod to the 40th anniversary of the original OM, we are offering customers who pre-order the chance to claim the ingenious two part grip and battery pack free! Talk to your local Olympus Pen Elite Centre, Warehouse Express, Amazon, Dixons Black Stores and selected Jessops. Pre-order the camera and we will ship the grip to you on delivery of the camera.
See the OM-D first at Focus on Imaging or find out more at www.olympus.co.uk (http://www.olympus.co.uk/)
The OM-D is available from April 2012 as a kit with the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 for £1149.99. Body only price to be confirmed.
Quote: Mark Thackara, National Marketing Manager, Olympus UK.which seems to confirm Olympus' plan to ship it directly to pre-order customers (though it's still not clear what the cutoff date for orders is).

StephenL
13th February 2012, 12:38 PM
In terms of single shot AF speed all but the very oldest MFT lenses (Olympus and Panasonic) are as fast as you will ever need. There is no reason to think the new lenses you refer to will be any different.

The C-AF and tracking capability is more down to the body than the lens, but you should be able to shoot continuously with AF at 4.3 fps on an E-M5 with these lenses.

Ian

Anecdotally, without any scientific evidence, I found that Panasonic lenses on the GH2 seemed to focus quicker than Oly lenses on the same body. And vice versa for my E-P2.

Ian
13th February 2012, 01:47 PM
Anecdotally, without any scientific evidence, I found that Panasonic lenses on the GH2 seemed to focus quicker than Oly lenses on the same body. And vice versa for my E-P2.

That's my experience too, but the difference is small in my experience. Presumably you aren't including the 14-42 Mk1 or the 17mm pancake, which are slow anyway?

Ian

StephenL
13th February 2012, 03:53 PM
That's my experience too, but the difference is small in my experience. Presumably you aren't including the 14-42 Mk1 or the 17mm pancake, which are slow anyway?

Ian

No, I never owned these two lenses at the same time as the GH2.

However, I thought the 17mm was actually a better lens than some suggest.

But any focus speed differences are, as you say, small, and would hardly be noticed in the real world unless you were using the 2 cameras together.

drmarkf
13th February 2012, 06:58 PM

Interesting. A friend of mine's got a GH2 and a range of mFT Oly and panasonic lenses that includes some additional to mine - I'll see if we can do something a bit more scientific on that.

For sure my mFT Pan-Leica 25mm feels very much snappier on the EPL-2 than the FT version ever did on my E-620, but having read Ian's wonderful tutorial above, probably that's because its got about half the weight of glass to push around.

David M
14th February 2012, 11:43 AM
Yeah, I don't need one and a couple of things are really putting me off getting one.

But at the same time I keep looking at the Samyang 7.5mm mFT fisheye, my collection of OM primes and my Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and thinking maybe it would be a nice camera for my 'going retro' with MF primes project.

Edit;

Add the Nokton 25mm f/0.95 to the list of mFT lenses I keep looking at.

And now add the Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 to the list.

drmarkf
14th February 2012, 06:54 PM
And now add the Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 to the list.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/imageBank/v/Voigt%20Nokton%20on%20OMD.low.jpg

How cool is that *chr

Based on my fun experiences with the f1.1 50mm, that's going to be very hard to resist, dammit...

JerryE-1
14th February 2012, 07:15 PM
Any idea if the shutter life expectancy will be 150,000 as per E-1 and E-3, or a much lower rating?

Jerry

Ulfric M Douglas
14th February 2012, 07:23 PM
That voigtlander's a big old lens, and a thousand pounds!
Good that I've got a nifty little Olympus 17mm already.

StephenL
14th February 2012, 07:36 PM
http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/imageBank/v/Voigt%20Nokton%20on%20OMD.low.jpg

How cool is that *chr

Based on my fun experiences with the f1.1 50mm, that's going to be very hard to resist, dammit...

I can understand that. I have the Voigtlander 75mm, and though it's not used often, it is certainly fun!

Zuiko
14th February 2012, 07:53 PM
Any idea if the shutter life expectancy will be 150,000 as per E-1 and E-3, or a much lower rating?

Jerry

Most buyers will move on and upgrade to the next model before the shutter count hits 20,000 anyway! :rolleyes:

drmarkf
14th February 2012, 08:15 PM
I can understand that. I have the Voigtlander 75mm, and though it's not used often, it is certainly fun!

With a little more reflection, I think I probably will resist it!

I use the 50mm Nokton for carefully posed, shallow depth of field work on a tripod. It's not actually really tack sharp at full aperture, but it has a lovely, classic 'lustre' in the way it draws images wide open and it works really well as a short tele with flowers, still life, portraits etc. It sharpens up a lot a couple of clicks down, however.

I don't think a 35mm version would really do much for me. Some of the web blogs have said it'd make a good street photography lens set at the hypofocal distance at f4. So why stick a filthy great £1000 lump of glass on the front of the OM-D for use in dodgy neighbourhoods when the tiny Panny 20mm f1.7 or a cheap standard 14-42mm zoom would do it just as well *shrug

Ian
14th February 2012, 09:05 PM
Can I respectfully remind folks here that it's not correct to post images hosted on a third party site unless a) you have permission or b) it's a photo sharing site (in which case a) is usually implied). The image here is hosted on the Amateur Photographer site and I may have to remove it.

Ian

David M
14th February 2012, 11:13 PM

Jerry

I seem to recall seeing a quote of 100,000 somewhere but can't remember where. I remember there was a photo of the shutter assembly wherever it was I saw it.

drmarkf
14th February 2012, 11:13 PM
>> images hosted on third party sites <<

Oooops. Sorry, Ian.

I've edited and just left a link on my original post (although Stephen's quote remains)

David M
14th February 2012, 11:18 PM
That voigtlander's a big old lens, and a thousand pounds!
Good that I've got a nifty little Olympus 17mm already.

Yeah, because a slow pancake is comparable to the Nokton.

Ian
15th February 2012, 08:40 AM

Cut Ulfric some slack - he's still on Cloud 9 after receiving his comp prize :)

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
15th February 2012, 11:58 AM
The manual states

�� Four Thirds lens adapter (MMF–3)
The camera requires MMF-3 Four Thirds lens adapter to attach Four Thirds lenses.
Some features, such as autofocus, may not be available.

I presume compatability with mmf-2/1 unless Olympus have done someting silly.

The supplied flash unit connects to the accessory port, presumably to power it, bit odd though.

Nick

sapper
15th February 2012, 12:12 PM
d. PDAF is so fundamental to camera design that one would have hoped a soluton had already been found. Without provision in-camera I guess Olympus will have to g

Eh? PDAF, wassat mean:)

Nick Temple-Fry
15th February 2012, 12:16 PM
Eh? PDAF, wassat mean:)

Phase Detection Auto Focus

Nick

Olybirder
15th February 2012, 12:26 PM
The supplied flash unit connects to the accessory port, presumably to power it, bit odd though.
Are you sure? In the manual on page 7 it appears to slide into the hotshoe in the usual way, with no extra connection.

Ron

Nick Temple-Fry
15th February 2012, 12:39 PM
Are you sure? In the manual on page 7 it appears to slide into the hotshoe in the usual way, with no extra connection.

Ron

Well No - I'm not sure, I suppose - but the manual does show the accessory port cover being removed and it shows the corresponding cover being taken from the flash.

Nick

StephenL
15th February 2012, 12:41 PM
All reports I have seen indicate that it does not have a built-in power source; rather it takes its power from the camera battery (presumably because it is a small and low guide-number piece of kit). Therefore it needs to draw power through the accessory port as well as physically clipping onto the hot shoe, same way as the E-VF2 does on the Pens.

Olybirder
15th February 2012, 12:54 PM
Well No - I'm not sure, I suppose - but the manual does show the accessory port cover being removed and it shows the corresponding cover being taken from the flash.

Nick
Yes, looking at it again you are right. They do illustrate the port cover being removed from the camera but don't mention it in the instructions. It looks as if the terminal cover on the flash might cover the hot shoe connector and possibly a connector for the accessory port too. It is hard to tell from the illustrations.

Ron

Ian
15th February 2012, 01:13 PM
The manual states

The camera requires MMF-3 Four Thirds lens adapter to attach Four Thirds lenses.

Nick

Yes, the flash is powered and controlled via the accessory port. This is the same with the E-PL3 and E-PM1, which are bundled with mini flash units. They can all control RC wireless FL flash units, too. Sony does the same with its non-standard (no hot-shoe) NEX accessory port. Samsung, too, has a mini flash for the NX200, but this doesn't us a separate accessory port connector, just the dedicated contacts on the (standard) shoe.

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
15th February 2012, 02:31 PM
No offence taken, lets discuss
In my opinion yes, the little olympus 17mmF2.8 will (OK, probably) produce pictures directly comparable to a $1000 17mmF0.95 lens,
but only because the focal lengths are 17mm and so the DOF achievable by each won't differ wildly and because my Olympus is a good lens already.

If we were talking about a 35mm, or 50mm, or 75mm then F2.8-to-F0.95 is a heck of a difference ...

Tradetalk
15th February 2012, 02:46 PM
Hi

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered but I can't see it anywhere.

Will there will be full compatibility with the FL36 and FL50 flashguns as the owners manual I've read on line only makes mention of the FL600R and FL300R.
Are these two guns going to replace the FL50R and FL36R?

Thanks

Dave

Ian
15th February 2012, 02:55 PM
Hi

Will there will be full compatibility with the FL36 and FL50 flashguns as the owners manual I've read on line only makes mention of the FL600R and FL300R.

Thanks

Dave

Yes, I don't see any reason why the support should be any different for the FL-50R or FL-36R etc.

Ian

sapper
15th February 2012, 05:29 PM
Phase Detection Auto Focus

Nick

Ahhhhh, now I see, but don't understand:) LTRU.

Olybirder
15th February 2012, 05:45 PM
Ahhhhh, now I see, but don't understand:) LTRU.
Dave, take a look at post no. 95 in this thread where Ian makes an excellent job of explaining the two different autofocusing systems used by Olympus. If you are like me, you will probably have to read it a couple of times but I found it extremely helpful. *chr

Ron

sapper
15th February 2012, 06:24 PM
Dave, take a look at post no. 95 in this thread where Ian makes an excellent job of explaining the two different autofocusing systems used by Olympus. If you are like me, you will probably have to read it a couple of times but I found it extremely helpful. *chr

Ron

Thanks Ron, will do.*chr

Rawcoll
15th February 2012, 08:14 PM
Let me also add, further to Ian's excellent explanation, that phase detection auto focus (PDAF) has been the traditional way inwhich DSLRs achieve fast autofocus, but they do this by diverting some of the light from the lens via the flippy-flappy mirror, to a dedicated sensor. Sony's Alpha SLT system continues to do this, but by doing away with the conventional mirror they instead use the fixed semi-transparent mirror to reflect light to the PDAF sensor. Sony's NEX system doesn't have any mirror, and so the camera doesn't use PDAF at all, only contrast detect auto focus (CDAF). To cater for those lenses which require PDAF they have produced a lens adaptor which contains the necessary gubbins. This is why I said that if Oly haven't incorporated the necessary mechanism within the camera then they might have to go down the same route as Sony use for the NEX to allow standard 4/3 lenses to be used.

Of course, Nikon somehow seem to have incorporated both CDAF and PDAF into the camera. One can only guess that they have found a way of incorporating the PDAF sesnor into the imaging sensor. May be someone has some insight on this, as I know little about this camera.

Hope that helps to explain what I was on about!

Zuiko
15th February 2012, 08:22 PM
This is why I said that if Oly haven't incorporated the necessary mechanism within the camera then they might have to go down the same route as Sony use for the NEX to allow standard 4/3 lenses to be used.

Nah, they will just incorporate PDAF on the sensor of the next camera and force everyone to upgrade - again! :D

Rawcoll
15th February 2012, 08:36 PM
Oh ye of little faith *sarc

But you are right in one respect, whichever way they solve the problem we'll have to cough up some more readies!

It really is such a shame that Oly continues to disenfranchise its loyal 4/3rd following. After dropping the bombshell that it's either the PEN or E-5, I had hoped that the new m4/3 offering would at least allow those with 4/3rd glass to be able to use them with decent focusing speeds. My 12-60 4/3rds lens is a cracker and I'd like to have been able to use it on a OM-D. Without that option I see no point in moving back to Oly from Panasonic.

Olybirder
15th February 2012, 08:44 PM
As some of the Zuiko lenses, such as my 50-200 SWD, are designed to work with CDAF in Live View, is the problem that they are too heavy for quick focusing with the E-M5's focusing system? Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Ron

Rawcoll
15th February 2012, 08:54 PM
Ron, I don't know the answer to that, but, since it focuses fast on my E-510 I would think that there should be no technical reason why it can't focus fast on the OM-D, other than the fact that the 12-60 is not optimised for CDAF

Olybirder
15th February 2012, 09:26 PM
Oh dear, it seems that I am wrong again. According to the spec for my E-30, CDAF works with: 25mm 1:2.8, 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6, 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6, 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II. No mention of the 50-200 SWD. Time to play with my kit lenses and Live View, I think.

Ron

Rawcoll
15th February 2012, 09:38 PM
Yes, I wondered about the 50-200SWD. I know that the 14-54 is meant to work OK with CDAF, but not sure about other HG and SHG glass. I presume that all the glass that is optimised for CDAF will work just fine on the OM-D.

David M
15th February 2012, 10:44 PM
No offence taken, lets discuss

In my opinion yes, the little olympus 17mmF2.8 will (OK, probably) produce pictures directly comparable to a $1000 17mmF0.95 lens,
but only because the focal lengths are 17mm and so the DOF achievable by each won't differ wildly and because my Olympus is a good lens already.

If we were talking about a 35mm, or 50mm, or 75mm then F2.8-to-F0.95 is a heck of a difference ...

Actually the Nokton will have significantly less DOF wide open. When focused at 10 feet the Nokton at f/1 has a DOF of 3.23 feet while the pancake has a DOF of 11.1 feet at f/2.8.

And of course it will allow you to shoot in much lower light being 3 stops brighter.

Ross the fiddler
15th February 2012, 11:02 PM
Hi

Thanks

Dave

The following should be helpful in answering your question.

Flashes for OM-D / PEN series cameras (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/pen_flashes.cfm)

Flashes for Four Thirds series cameras (http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/compati/e_system_flashes.cfm#)

This looks like an E5 owner can use the FL600R & possibly use the video LED light too.

Ross the fiddler
15th February 2012, 11:25 PM
Oh dear, it seems that I am wrong again. According to the spec for my E-30, CDAF works with: 25mm 1:2.8, 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6, 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6, 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6, 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II. No mention of the 50-200 SWD. Time to play with my kit lenses and Live View, I think.

Ron

Don't forget the more affordable ZD70-300 lens (than the SWD 50-200 with EC14 & maybe the EC20 as well) is optimised for CD-AF in it's latest firmware update, although they had to slow the motor down to achieve it (or maybe at least when it approaches focus), so don't expect it to excell in sports shots. :rolleyes:

Olybirder
15th February 2012, 11:50 PM
Don't forget the more affordable ZD70-300 lens (than the SWD 50-200 with EC14 & maybe the EC20 as well) is optimised for CD-AF in it's latest firmware update, although they had to slow the motor down to achieve it (or maybe at least when it approaches focus), so don't expect it to excell in sports shots. :rolleyes:
I have already got one of those languishing unused in a drawer since buying the 50-200. The only reason I would consider the E-M5 is to save weight. I photograph birds almost exclusively, so a fast lens in the 300mm range is essential and the only two m4/3 options currently available, the Oly 75-300 and Panasonic 100-300, are both rather slow. Unless my 50-200 or 70-300 will focus quickly with the E-M5, unfortunately I think it is no use to me.

Ron

edmund473
16th February 2012, 01:17 PM
I have taken the decision and pre- ordered E-M5 with the 12-50mm lens. I think it is a good deal! John.

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:17 PM
Ian, you handle a lot of cameras. Does the E-M5 have the "soul" that the GH2 lacks, good camera though it is?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P2162505.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/42905)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/P2162507.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/42906)

I have now handled the E-M5 so I can try to answer your question!

I actually like the G-series Lumix models and never thought that they were soul-less at all. But I can say that the E-M5 has plenty of soul :)

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:22 PM

The E-M5 diopter correction range is -4 to +2, not +1. I mentioned your point to Toshi Terada and he says that they will considere additional diopter strengths in the form of add-on viewfinder lenses but no promises.

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:32 PM

Also, can you fit the battery pack directly to the body, without the grip in place first ?

Thanks

I did download Studio as it wasn't on my laptop since my upgrade to Win 7 64-bit Pro, but I didn't have time to try it in the end. But Toshi was pretty sure Studio won't control the E-M5, sorry.

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:35 PM

Nick

Chatted to Toshi about this - we suspect the E-3 and E-5 have an advantage because an independent exposure sensor is used in their DSLR designs. With the E-M5 and Pens the imaging sensor is used to meter the exposure. That's the best answer I have, but Toshi says he will look into the matter.

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:36 PM

No, the AC adapter only powers the camera - no charging is facilitated.

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:38 PM

I didn't have any problems at all with accidental nosing of the shutter :) You can switch between screen and EVF manually or automatically.

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:41 PM
I have a question but I know Ian cannot yet answer it.
Last year I was using a chunky Sony-A450 with maybe 7 fps and found the picture quality wasn't so good at max frames speed but better at slower speeds.
I'm wondering what the new Olympus will be like at 9 fps ... since there have never been any 4/3rds or m4/3rds that can do that kind of speed.
And of course what the bugger will allow. :o Buffer! I meant to say Buffer!
That's one of the things that put me off the G3 : it was almost as sluggish buffer-wise as my old G1 !

I was really impressed with the 9fps high speed shooting - it's fast, positive, but quiet and refined. The specs suggest 11 continuous frames when shooting RAW, but using a UHS-1 Lexar Pro 600x SD card I managed 13 frames. This card emptied the buffer after it stalled in 10 seconds compared to a standard Class 10 SD card which took 23 seconds (and shot a couple less frames before stalling).

Ian

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:44 PM
The camera won't be available until mid-May so there is plenty if time. I'm sure there will be in-store demos around the country, there is Focus on Imaging of course, and we ourselves will be running some hands-on studio events in London and Birmingham.

Ian

Update on this - it now looks more like mid-April :)

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
17th February 2012, 09:49 PM
Chatted to Toshi about this - we suspect the E-3 and E-5 have an advantage because an independent exposure sensor is used in their DSLR designs. With the E-M5 and Pens the imaging sensor is used to meter the exposure. That's the best answer I have, but Toshi says he will look into the matter.

Ian

Thanks Ian.

Must admit I'd always thought compensation was calculated, not measured; but that could easily be my misunderstanding.

At the least it has now been flagged at a level which might help in the future.

Thanks again

Nick

Ian
17th February 2012, 09:49 PM
The manual states

Nick

The manual is specific about the choice of adapter so that the E-M5/12-50 (or other sealed lens) moisture and dust sealing is not compromosed if you use the older non-sealed adapters.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
18th February 2012, 01:05 AM
No, the AC adapter only powers the camera - no charging is facilitated.

Ian

It would be safer that way anyhow because of the amount of heat a charging battery can produce (I know it does under use too).

Phill D
18th February 2012, 06:53 AM
Ian & Nick post 95 is a real education thanks for taking the time to explain it. Ian you say that a notable CDAF optimised lens is the Pan/leica 14-150. Does that mean it will focus faster on the E-M5 than it does on my old E510? Even though C-AF won't work could you ask about the tracking function please. Oh and what effect would adding an EC14 make to the CDAF operation?

swing
18th February 2012, 07:55 AM
It would be safer that way anyhow because of the amount of heat a charging battery can produce (I know it does under use too).
Agreed, but my concern was having to remove the grip each time to access the battery in the main camera to get it out to charge. However, since reading the manual it appears you can set the priority of battery usage to use the grip battery first, which is more accessible.

swing
18th February 2012, 08:22 AM
Ian, one more question if I may...

Any info on the Grip Strap GS-4? I'm sure it's not standard, but can you find out RRP & likely availability date? It's hardly been mentioned anywhere, except in one global press release.

StephenL
18th February 2012, 03:19 PM
Ian, do you get the impression that there will be material changes in the firmware of production cameras, and if so, in what areas?

Rawcoll
18th February 2012, 04:49 PM
The E-M5 diopter correction range is -4 to +2, not +1. I mentioned your point to Toshi Terada and he says that they will considere additional diopter strengths in the form of add-on viewfinder lenses but no promises.

Thanks very much Ian, much appreciated. That's marginally better than my E-510 and I believe the E-30/E-3/E-5 also, but not as good as the ±4 of the GH2. As the correction I need is right at the end of the range the E-510, the viewfinder of the E-M5 might just be OK. Clearly something I'll need to check out in practice.

Ian
18th February 2012, 05:00 PM
Ian, do you get the impression that there will be material changes in the firmware of production cameras, and if so, in what areas?

I don't think so. Our cameras had 0.9 firmware and all features were available. My camera would crash if I tried to use the grainy black and white art filter, and Olympus staff warned that IS could misbehave sometimes (I didn't notice this problem with my camera).

Ian

Ian
18th February 2012, 05:01 PM

Any info on the Grip Strap GS-4? I'm sure it's not standard, but can you find out RRP & likely availability date? It's hardly been mentioned anywhere, except in one global press release.

I will try to find out for you...

Ian

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:37 AM

Pricing has not yet been determined but it should be available when the E-M5 starts shipping.

Ian

RogerMac
20th February 2012, 02:19 PM
Does the M5 have an infra-red (or other wireless) remote shutter release facility?

A small point but I use my IR release a lot whenever the camera is on a tripod - just one more aid to reducing camera shake "every little helps" as they say.

Roger

Bill Gordon
20th February 2012, 03:01 PM
Pricing has not yet been determined but it should be available when the E-M5 starts shipping.

Ian

On this side of the Atlantic the price has been posted at a tad under $300.00
Cheers
"Olde" Bill on 'tut her side

The Saint
20th February 2012, 04:01 PM

£30 according to warehouseexpress Link (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-olympus-gs-4-grip-strap/p1529609?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-camera-accessories-_-camera-straps-_-olympus-gs-4-grip-strap_1529609&utm_source=googlebase)

Simon

swing
20th February 2012, 04:06 PM
£30 according to warehouseexpress Link (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-olympus-gs-4-grip-strap/p1529609?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-camera-accessories-_-camera-straps-_-olympus-gs-4-grip-strap_1529609&utm_source=googlebase)
Thanks Simon; I didn't spot that the last time I was looking round their site.

Ian
20th February 2012, 04:10 PM
On this side of the Atlantic the price has been posted at a tad under $300.00
Cheers
"Olde" Bill on 'tut her side

Have you added an extra zero in there, Bill? :) It's only a strap.

Ian

Bill Gordon
20th February 2012, 04:21 PM
Have you added an extra zero in there, Bill? :) It's only a strap.

Ian

Yes it was my mistake.I was thinking of the drop and battery that you carried with the camera.......I forgot all about the leather grip!!! Also there are other accessories that have been listed but not priced, among them a rubber cup for the eyepiece.

Ian
20th February 2012, 04:42 PM
By the way, if you trust me and my sources - I can confirm that the E-M5 sensor is NOT made by Panasonic. I'm rather shocked by this, but as far as I am concerned the information us bullet-proof. I don't know who makes the sensor, just that it's not a Panasonic one.

Ian

Olybirder
20th February 2012, 04:52 PM
By the way, if you trust me and my sources - I can confirm that the E-M5 sensor is NOT made by Panasonic. I'm rather shocked by this, but as far as I am concerned the information us bullet-proof. I don't know who makes the sensor, just that it's not a Panasonic one.

Ian
Wow! And on that bombshell .....:eek:

Ron

Ulfric M Douglas
20th February 2012, 05:08 PM
Breaking news 13 minutes ago! Quick ... over to unpleasant forum to see the arguments and recriminations! ... (Joking :p )

David M
20th February 2012, 05:32 PM
Wow! And on that bombshell .....:eek:

Ron

It's vaguely interesting but I don't regard it as a bombshell. If true, and I have no reason to doubt Ian's info, Olympus found a better sensor and went with it.

Olybirder
20th February 2012, 05:55 PM
It's vaguely interesting but I don't regard it as a bombshell. If true, and I have no reason to doubt Ian's info, Olympus found a better sensor and went with it.

I regard it as a bit of a bombshell as it contradicts just about every comment I have read about the E-M5's sensor. If true it is also the first time Olympus has moved away from Panasonic sensors for 4/3 and m4/3 cameras for many years. As you say, vaguely interesting, but that is the best than can be said of most of my posts. :)

Ron

trailer
20th February 2012, 05:59 PM
A quick question if I may.

I have an EPL-2 with the EVF-2.viewfinder. I really like the way it tilts up to vertical rather than having to strain your neck! It might seem a bit overkill but can the EVF attach to OM?

Also is the into the sun performance any better?

It's probably too late ask as I have one on Pre-order from SRS anyway!

David M
20th February 2012, 06:04 PM

I have an EPL-2 with the EVF-2.viewfinder. I really like the way it tilts up to vertical rather than having to strain your neck! It might seem a bit overkill but can the EVF attach to OM?

Someone asked this question about 12 hours ago, apparently it can.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18954

I don't really understand your into the sun performance question.

trailer
20th February 2012, 06:12 PM
Someone asked this question about 12 hours ago, apparently it can.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18954

I don't really understand your into the sun performance question.

Thanks for the link. Good news on that front.

I was meaning shooting directly into the sun and the red spot grid proliferation. I've noticed this a problem on the EPL-2 more so than previous cameras.

Ulfric M Douglas
20th February 2012, 06:21 PM
... Also is the into the sun performance any better?
My thinking is that "into the sun" performance is mostly LENS-dependant, in fact of all the digital bodies I've used there isn't too much difference whereas a lens can range from 'nice gentle flare' to 'unusable'.

Ross the fiddler
20th February 2012, 08:41 PM

Ian

For real? :eek:

That should satisfy those that believe that Olympus shouldn't be stuck with what only Panasonic can offer (except to know where it was made).

Breaking news 13 minutes ago! Quick ... over to unpleasant forum to see the arguments and recriminations! ... (Joking :p )

It won't take long before it makes waves there again.

JonSchick
20th February 2012, 09:45 PM
Quick question following a read of the preview on Photography Blog....is it possible to set the camera up so you can view through the EVF when taking images, but check the results on the rear screen? With the eye sensor, the GH-2 automatically does this, but Photography Blog implies they couldn't do it with the OM. I tend to think that it's likely to be possible, but PB didn't find out how.....

Cheers,

Jon

Ian
20th February 2012, 10:53 PM
Quick question following a read of the preview on Photography Blog....is it possible to set the camera up so you can view through the EVF when taking images, but check the results on the rear screen? With the eye sensor, the GH-2 automatically does this, but Photography Blog implies they couldn't do it with the OM. I tend to think that it's likely to be possible, but PB didn't find out how.....

Cheers,

Jon

My sample did this by default. In fact I briefly tried to work out how to make it review shots in the viewfinder but couldn't find the option, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Ian

JonSchick
20th February 2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks Ian - sounds like the menu system is as easy to use as ever!

Cheers,

Jon

Ian
20th February 2012, 11:20 PM

http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum_images/P2162489.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum_images/P2162487.jpg

Yes - the VF-2 works, but when attached the integral EVF becomes inoperative.

Sun? We had no sun in Amsterdam :D

Ian

Graham_of_Rainham
21st February 2012, 12:54 PM
Excellent! I was hoping this would be the case :)

An extension lead that allows the EVF to be used at eye level with the camera mounted at ground level, would make some of my shots so much easier to do... :cool:

Ulfric M Douglas
21st February 2012, 01:38 PM
An extension lead incorporating both ends of the Olympus slot would be fantastic ... would voltages and communication speed cope with the distance though?
Mount the EVF on yer specs ...

StephenL
21st February 2012, 01:46 PM
Mount the EVF on yer specs ...

Or dangling down from the peak of yer flat cap .....

Gwyver
22nd February 2012, 03:53 PM
When I recently returned to this site, after a few weeks of absence, I was delighted to discover the announcement of the E-M5. As others have mentioned the weight of an E3 & splashproof glass (essential in the rainy NW) becomes overkill after a day of hill walking, and so the compact E-M5 seems to fit the bill very nicely. I read all the reviews I could find and decided to pre-order. However, even after wading through all of this (very useful) thread some questions remain:-

Will my ZD50~200mk2 and ZD12~60 and Pan-Leica14~150FT work (in conjunction with an MMF3) on the E-M5? I'm not especially bothered about the C-AF capability - but would be irked if S-AF doesn't work reliably.
If the above-mentioned HG lenses do NOT work, then what is the point of Olympus producing the weather-sealed MMF-3? Or to put it another way is Ian expecting that in addition to the mZED75 & mZED60macro other dust & splashproof MFT lenses are likely to be announced soon? A weatherproof HG 14~150 would be a really nice walkabout lens...
Does anybody know what the weight of the new HLD-6 Grip will be (either with or w/o a battery)?

Thanks in anticipation.

StephenL
22nd February 2012, 04:13 PM
The lenses you mention will work on the E-M5. Whether they focus quickly enough for your requirements is as yet unknown. But the 14-54 Mk2, another weatherproof lens, is already proven to focus reasonably quickly on m4/3 bodies, so it's fair to expect at least as good a performance on the new camera, if not better.

Don't forget the new 12-50 "kit" lens is splashproof. I'm sure other lenses will follow in due course - Olympus cannot produce every lens they (or us) want immediately!

I've not seen weights for the grips published.

Gwyver
22nd February 2012, 04:18 PM
Thanks Stephen. One more question...
Does the Tone-Curve Adjustment (Shadows/Hi-Light response) setting get mapped into the RAW file - or is this only applied to JPEG image files?

Ian
22nd February 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Stephen. One more question...
Does the Tone-Curve Adjustment (Shadows/Hi-Light response) setting get mapped into the RAW file - or is this only applied to JPEG image files?

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. If it is, it probably only works in Viewer 2. I'm hoping a review camera will arrive some time towards the end of next month and then these questions can be answered definitively.

Ian

Bill Gordon
27th February 2012, 03:32 AM
Hi Ian pardon me if this has already been asked but I was wondering if the OM D will have an adapter similar to the e series that will double the length of a length of the lens....and....I believe that I saw somewhere back that there would be an eye cup device to use in conjunction with the viewfinder that will assist people like me that like to get my eyeball in the rubber cup. Cheers from across the pond.

FlemmingS
27th February 2012, 09:20 AM
I just bought an EP-3 last year so I will 'probably' not buy the E-M5, even though I am tempted.

How much is the expected price in U.K ?

My local dealer has posted these prices

E-M5 body only approx. 935 £
E-M5 Body and 12-50 'kit' approx 1.035 £

For comparison they charge 1.237 £for an E-5 body

Ross the fiddler
27th February 2012, 11:11 AM
Hi Ian pardon me if this has already been asked but I was wondering if the OM D will have an adapter similar to the e series that will double the length of a length of the lens....and....I believe that I saw somewhere back that there would be an eye cup device to use in conjunction with the viewfinder that will assist people like me that like to get my eyeball in the rubber cup. Cheers from across the pond.

Do you mean a micro EC20 & EC14 or are you asking about the view finder magnifier?

Ian
27th February 2012, 12:17 PM

This looks like two questions?

1) Teleconverters? I have not seen any plan for either a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter for Micro Four Thirds from either Panasonic or Olympus. I did mention this to Mr.Watanabe last year when I met him at the Pen E-P3 launch in Vienna but he was non-committal.

2) I think you are referring to the ME-1 magnifier eyecup, see:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/09/olympus_me1_magnifier_eyecup_review.php

This should not be necessary because the E-M5's viewfinder is not limited by the optical characteristics of the E-4xx/E-5xx reflex viewfinder. The E-M5 viewfinder view is already more expansive than that afforded by the ME-1.

Ian

Bill Gordon
27th February 2012, 02:38 PM
Yes Ian, it was two questions and thanks for the information. I wear glasses but when I shoot I remove them and I like to get my "eyeball" right into the cup to keep extraneous light from entering and with the EVF have had their eyecup on all the time (except when the damn thing falls off) and that is why I asked the question. Again thanks and keep up the good work, there is no question that this site, thanks to you, is the best on the internet when it comes to Olympus gear!!

Ross the fiddler
27th February 2012, 08:53 PM
This looks like two questions?

1) Teleconverters? I have not seen any plan for either a 1.4x or 2x teleconverter for Micro Four Thirds from either Panasonic or Olympus. I did mention this to Mr.Watanabe last year when I met him at the Pen E-P3 launch in Vienna but he was non-committal.

2) I think you are referring to the ME-1 magnifier eyecup, see:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/09/olympus_me1_magnifier_eyecup_review.php

This should not be necessary because the E-M5's viewfinder is not limited by the optical characteristics of the E-4xx/E-5xx reflex viewfinder. The E-M5 viewfinder view is already more expansive than that afforded by the ME-1.

Ian

I guess teleconverters should only be put with larger aperture lenses & the new 75mm f1.8 lens may work well with an MC20 (that name is my guess for a micro 2 X teleconverter ;)) & the 60mm f2.8 macro lens too, being then capable of 2:1 magnification, but with not many large apeture lenses being available yet that would benefit from using teleconverters, then I guess (again) that teleconverters has to be a low priority at the present. ?

Ian
28th February 2012, 09:18 AM
Yes Ian, it was two questions and thanks for the information. I wear glasses but when I shoot I remove them and I like to get my "eyeball" right into the cup to keep extraneous light from entering and with the EVF have had their eyecup on all the time (except when the damn thing falls off) and that is why I asked the question. Again thanks and keep up the good work, there is no question that this site, thanks to you, is the best on the internet when it comes to Olympus gear!!

http://e-group.uk.net/images/forum/e-m5_eyecup.JPG

There is an EP-11 large eyecup - is this what you were looking for?

Ian

Ian
28th February 2012, 09:21 AM
I guess teleconverters should only be put with larger aperture lenses & the new 75mm f1.8 lens may work well with an MC20 (that name is my guess for a micro 2 X teleconverter ;)) & the 60mm f2.8 macro lens too, being then capable of 2:1 magnification, but with not many large apeture lenses being available yet that would benefit from using teleconverters, then I guess (again) that teleconverters has to be a low priority at the present. ?

I haven't heard of an 'MC20'? But I do agree that with large aperture primes then the idea of a converter becomes more attractive.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
28th February 2012, 10:42 AM
I haven't heard of an 'MC20'? But I do agree that with large aperture primes then the idea of a converter becomes more attractive.

Ian

That was just my imagination working overtime. Didn't you think it was a good suitable name for it? :rolleyes: :D

Nick Temple-Fry
28th February 2012, 11:54 AM
I wear glasses but when I shoot I remove them and I like to get my "eyeball" right into the cup to keep extraneous light from entering and with the EVF have had their eyecup on all the time (except when the damn thing falls off) and that is why I asked the question.

I wonder if the fact that you can alter the brightness of the evf might help Bill, light leaking in from the side should be less of an issue with a brighter viewfinder image.

Nick

Ian
28th February 2012, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately for me I have to keep my specs on because I have astigmatism. I did used to wear contacts ans I may return to these one day. But the change in style to smaller and much lighter spectacle frames made contacts redundant for me about ten years ago.

Ian

Chevvyf1
28th February 2012, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately for me I have to keep my specs on because I have astigmatism. I did used to wear contacts ans I may return to these one day. But the change in style to smaller and much lighter spectacle frames made contacts redundant for me about ten years ago.

Ian

Ian, I have stig +cateracts and booked 4 Light adjustable lenses in july & august
magnifique - no stig ir cats and 20-20 again - no specs:):D:D:D

http://londoneyehospital.com/lal_home.html

benvendetta
28th February 2012, 01:35 PM
Ian, do you know if the Oly stand at Focus will also have the OM to OMD adapter as I would like to try one or two old Zuikos on the new camera to see how they perform/look?

Bill Gordon
28th February 2012, 08:06 PM
http://e-group.uk.net/images/forum/e-m5_eyecup.JPG

There is an EP-11 large eyecup - is this what you were looking for?

Ian

Very interesting and thanks for the information Ian, I respect you knowledge.

Ross the fiddler
29th February 2012, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately for me I have to keep my specs on because I have astigmatism. Ian

Same here but only mildy. Isn't it annoying when engrossed in the moment, the camera is pressed up to the glasses for the shot & then to review the photo in the display to then find the glasses smudged from being pushed into face? :mad:

StephenL
1st March 2012, 06:08 PM
Ian, just a thought, but is it possible to fit just the battery/portrait part of the grip without the extra landscape grip being fitted?

smartwombat
1st March 2012, 07:40 PM
Autofocus.

From the specs online: "Contrast Detection AF system (when non high-speed contrast AF compatible lens is used, it works as MF assist)"

That raises the question of what are the lenses that are "non high-speed contrast AF compatible" because I have a bagful of Panasonic Micro 4/3 lenses that I don't want to sell and replace with Olympus.

It is a big issue for me as I am looking to downsize after a car accident has left me with limited use of my right hand, and limited tone and power during my recovery.

The OM-D E-M5 might be the medium term solution I need for motorsport photography if the continuous AF performance is good enough.

swing
1st March 2012, 11:00 PM
Ian, just a thought, but is it possible to fit just the battery/portrait part of the grip without the extra landscape grip being fitted?
I'm fairly sure the answer is no, because the pins don't line up.

Ross the fiddler
2nd March 2012, 01:12 AM
I'm fairly sure the answer is no, because the pins don't line up.

Nor does the mounting screw (I believe).

Ian
2nd March 2012, 08:07 AM
No, you can have the grip without the battery module but not the batter module on its own.

Ian

drmarkf
3rd March 2012, 12:12 PM
the batter module on its own.

Ian

Images of assault and Spam fritters are passing in front of my eyes

StephenL
3rd March 2012, 03:53 PM
That's for the Scottish market - you can get everything in batter up here!

Invicta
7th March 2012, 11:45 AM
Hi Ian,

Could you help clarify a few questions on the E-M5 please?

1) Does the E-M5 have a cable release port and will the Oly RM-CB1 cable release fit?

2) Can the E-M5 flash unit be used as a remote commander for the FL-50R?

3) I am a bit confused by the focusing of old four-thirds lenses on the micro-four thirds. If you have the adapter will auto-focus work in single mode and in continuous mode?

4) Is there a manual focus selection area (like the green box on the E-3 in live view) that you can zoom into for manual focus?

5) When does the free grip offer expire?

Many thanks

swing
7th March 2012, 11:59 AM

http://olympusomd.sales-promotions.com/ (which is where the online form to fill in is located) states you must buy before 30th April, and send proof of purchase by 31st May.

Ian
7th March 2012, 12:08 PM
Hi Ian,

Could you help clarify a few questions on the E-M5 please?

1) Does the E-M5 have a cable release port and will the Oly RM-CB1 cable release fit?

It uses the RM-UC1 cable release that woirks with the E-5xx/4xx/330/6xx/Pens (except for E-PL1) and the E-30. Connection is via the USB port.

2) Can the E-M5 flash unit be used as a remote commander for the FL-50R?

Yes

3) I am a bit confused by the focusing of old four-thirds lenses on the micro-four thirds. If you have the adapter will auto-focus work in single mode and in continuous mode?

Only single action mode, but face priority (face detection) does work.

4) Is there a manual focus selection area (like the green box on the E-3 in live view) that you can zoom into for manual focus?

Yes, but in my view it is better as the camera can be set to sense when the manual focus ring is moved and so you get an instant magnified view of the focus area. You can also change the size of the focus area using the touch screen and both dictate the position of the focus point using the touch screen and finally touch the screen to trigger the shutter.

So far the offer is guaranteed until the end of April. It's possible the offer could be extended but I can't guarantee that. Of course I will try to find out as soon as possible towards the end of April.

Many thanks

Typing this on the train to Birmingham for the last day of the show :)

Ian

Invicta
7th March 2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks Ian,

I don't use continuous focus much so that is not a major issue.

Hope the last day of Focus goes well. How has the size of the crowd been on the week-days compared to Sunday? At times it was hard to move on Sunday :)

Zanydave
8th March 2012, 11:41 AM
Had hands on at Focus yesterday. Pre-ordered, cant wait for delivery.

crimbo
12th March 2012, 05:54 PM
The Shutter...
Shutter type Computerised focal-plane shutter

So is this an electronic shutter with no moving parts....

Ross the fiddler
12th March 2012, 08:33 PM
The Shutter...
Shutter type Computerised focal-plane shutter

So is this an electronic shutter with no moving parts....

That just means the mechanical shutter is controlled by computer with the same description applied to the DSLR's (check the E5).

crimbo
12th March 2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks Ross... there was me hoping they had an electronic shutter that could be really silent

Ian
13th March 2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks Ross... there was me hoping they had an electronic shutter that could be really silent

The only electronic solid state shutter for the E-M5 is for video recording. If you shoot 1080 resolution video you can extract 2MP stills afterwards. Nikon's J1 and V1 cameras have solid state electronic shutters (the V1 has both mechanical and electronic, the J1 is only electronic). I think they will be trend setters, personally.

Ian

DekHog
13th March 2012, 07:56 PM
Ian, have they managed to tone down the shutter noise to any degree? e.g. quieter than the PEN range?

I still think I'll buy another E-1 some day; not to take pictures with, just to sit and listen to the sound of the shutter. :D

Graham_of_Rainham
13th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Will firmware updates be via a USB link or have they introduced updates via the memory card *???

Ross the fiddler
13th March 2012, 08:39 PM
Will firmware updates be via a USB link or have they introduced updates via the memory card *???

Oh, you & I (along with many others) wish! :rolleyes: :D

I guess it will stay as it is because the computer software (Oly Viewer & Downloader) & Olympus download site has the ability to check the firmware status (or level) of the camera (& lenses etc.). *ohwell

andym
19th March 2012, 08:57 AM
I've been playing about with my 4/3 lenses on the E5 using auto-focus in live view admittedly in good light.
If I were to use my lenses on an E-M5 with the adapter could I expect about the same focus speed or hopefully a little better?

The lenses I tried were the 14-54 mk1 and the 12-60.The 12-60 seem faster than the 14-54.

The only lens I have which I think is optimised for live view is the 25mm pancake which is not at home at the moment.

All in all I found the 12-60 quite usable.

Chevvyf1
19th March 2012, 09:08 AM
Andy, from what I have now read on the OM-D - I shall either buy new OM-D and new glass for it - or not !

I shall NOT be using old glass - as it is not "designed for getting the most excellence out of the OM-D" but adapted and the architecture of the OM-D will be degraded with old glass, as will the shots taken, I believe *yes

My MAJOR reason for buying the OM-D would be the fast focus and tracking - which will not be working with the 50-200 4/3rd lenses as it will with the OM-D M4/3rd lenses - Ian has written about this in this thread ... somewhere

best you google for Oly OM-D reviews :eek:

Kiwi Paul
19th March 2012, 09:19 AM
The only thing compromised will be the focus speed, you still get the IQ benefits of the HG and SHG glass on the OM-D.

Paul

andym
19th March 2012, 09:24 AM
The only thing compromised will be the focus speed, you still get the IQ benefits of the HG and SHG glass on the OM-D.

Paul
Thank you Paul,not sure Chevvy quite got the gist of my question.I interested in if the focus speed would be similar or a little better then the E5 live view focus.
If I got one ;) it would be as a walk around and not for wildlife,although I suspect I would be great for macro where I use manual focus most of the time.

I feel the lenses on offer for micro 4/3 are far to slow for my needs.

snaarman
19th March 2012, 10:02 AM
I interested in if the focus speed would be similar or a little better then the E5 live view focus.

I feel the lenses on offer for micro 4/3 are far to slow for my needs.

I've ordered at OM-D as body only and intend to use it with my MMF1 adapter and the 14-54 mk2, the 4/3 kit lenses and the 4/3 9-18mm. I use this setup on my E-PL3 and that seems to focus reasonably quickly: I assume the OM-D will focus at a similar speed to the E-PL3.

The weak spot in this gear is the 4/3 kit lenses. I bet the m4/3 kit lenses focus a whole lot faster. Personally, I am waiting to see what other m4/3 HG lenses Olympus introduce before I spend yet more money.

Pete

Ian
19th March 2012, 10:39 AM
I've been playing about with my 4/3 lenses on the E5 using auto-focus in live view admittedly in good light.
If I were to use my lenses on an E-M5 with the adapter could I expect about the same focus speed or hopefully a little better?

The lenses I tried were the 14-54 mk1 and the 12-60.The 12-60 seem faster than the 14-54.

The only lens I have which I think is optimised for live view is the 25mm pancake which is not at home at the moment.

All in all I found the 12-60 quite usable.

Mt eval sample E-M5 is on sabbatical with A.N.Other magazines at the moment, but when I get it back I will produce some videos to show how focus performance compares, but from my own hands-on experience you should notice a detectable improvement with the E-5. Also, there is a lot more lag when pressing the shutter home on an E-5 because of its mirror.

My only concern with Four Thirds lens, especially non-optimised ones like the SWDs, is that sometimes it beeps to confirm focus and yet it isn't in focus. The work around is to half press again and usually second time it is on the button. I hasten to add that this is usually under relatively low contrast/low light conditions.

Ian

Ross the fiddler
19th March 2012, 11:36 AM
When you do the video of focus speeds etc., can you please do some focusing & some focusing followed by the shutter to show us both conditions with each lens you test. I'm starting to think the (4/3's) 70-300 lens might serve me well on the E-M5 with improved IS & higher ISO capability allowing faster shutter speeds instead of spending money on the 50-200 SWD lens.

That leads to another question (that may have already been answered); does the E-M5 (& PENs) allow the use of EC14, EC20 & EX25 with 4/3's lenses?