PDA

View Full Version : Firmware

DTD
21st May 2008, 06:43 PM
Do you have to use Olympus Viewer to update the firmware on an E-3?

andym
21st May 2008, 06:59 PM

Hi

I have viewer that came with my E1 and is still installed on my PC.Not sure if you can update an E3 with it.When I went to firmware 1.1 I used Olympus master.

DTD
21st May 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the Olympus Viewer CD, but have not installed it as I prefer to use PhotoShop and Aperture for photo imaging duties.

I was wondering if you could just download the firmware and install it without having to use Viewer at all.

You can update Ricoh firmware by downloading the file and copying it to a card a better way of doing it in my opinion.

I seem to remember not having to use Viewer to update the firmware on my E-1. IIRC you set the camera as a mass storage device and did a direct download.

andym
21st May 2008, 07:14 PM
To update any Olympus Dslr you will need the Oly software loaded on you PC.

DTD
21st May 2008, 07:19 PM
To update any Olympus Dslr you will need the Oly software loaded on you PC.

Ta. I'll dig out the box.

shenstone
21st May 2008, 09:07 PM

Just to clarify for anyone reading that Olympus Master will do this as well as Viewer if you have that loaded

Regards
Andy

Nick Temple-Fry
21st May 2008, 09:14 PM
Just to clarify for anyone reading that Olympus Master will do this as well as Viewer if you have that loaded

Regards
Andy

And Master is free - if you have lost the disc you can pick it up from the olympus site.

Nick

Naughty Nigel
22nd May 2008, 08:20 PM
You also have the advantage that the Oly software will auto detect the current firmware in the camera and accessories, (lenses and flashgun's, etc), and gives you the opportunity to update those as well.