PDA

View Full Version : Question re: 14-54 lens with the E-5

tmilliken
5th February 2012, 03:06 AM
I recently received this combination as a gift from a recently departed family member. Love Oly and have used an e-500 for years now. One wuestion I have is around the E-5 14-54 zoom lens. Is there a reason why when using this lens I can only shoot macro from 14 to 35mm and if I want a wide angle in that range the lens refusus to focus? Im wondering if it is some setting or an issue with the lens. Im getting documentation(once its located) but curious if this is a design of the lens or a setting i need to enable/disable in order to shoot landscape wider than 35mm... Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
T

Nick Temple-Fry
5th February 2012, 12:11 PM
How odd - the lens doesn't seem to performing right and I can't really see what is going on from the description.

However 9 out of 10 problems are because of issues with the contacts between the camera and the lens - so is the lens firmly seated?, does the aperture display correctly in the viewfinder?.

If you've still got the E-500 (and the lenses you used with it) try swapping the lenses between cameras - all 4/3'rds work on all 4/3'rds cameras - does the 14-54 work properly on the E-500, do the lenses from the E-500 work properly on the E-5?

Hopefully with a bit of trial and elimination we should be able to resolve this.

If you register with your local Olympus site you should be able to download PDF copies of the camera and lens documentation.

Nick

tmilliken
5th February 2012, 04:30 PM
Not sure why I didnt think of that but you were right. The e-500 lenses work fine on the e-5 (I did try that previously) but the 14-54 has same issues on the e-500 that it has on the e-5 only more pronounced. Must be an issue with the lens itself. Unless others post something helpful that I can configure myself, I will check for a local service center for Oly lenses.

I'm liking this forum already. It's great connecting with other's with the same equipment and I enjoy viewing other photographers' work. I am sending the link to your churches site to my Dad who paints churches (on canvas, not the walls...) as he's always looking for content, and at 71, he'll never make it to the UK. Thanks for the response.

Nick Temple-Fry
5th February 2012, 04:55 PM
Glad we've narrowed it down to the lens (though of course it's unfortunate it has a problem).

I take it that the aperture and other info displays correctly when it's mounted - if it doesn't then that's a classic sign of the lens contacts being dirty. Worth giving them a close look anyway, a gentle rubbing can usually clean them. Beyond that I'm at a loss as to what to suggest.

Hope your father enjoys the website.

Nick