PDA

View Full Version : Ownuser remote

Paulpp
21st May 2008, 08:27 AM
Just purchased one of these as I had heard good reports, BUT, can't get it to work. My RM-1 works fine and I suspect that, having looked closely at the Ownuser connector it has pushed the pins back into the camera body as the holes on the connector look far too small to me, and the pins look as if they are too far back in the socket. Difficult to tell with the pins as I hadn't looked to see what they looked like before fitting the connector.
But before going through the hassle of getting a refund, and presumably having to send the camera to Olympus for repair, thought i would just ask if others have had the same problem, or any thoughts on where I might be going wrong with the set-up.

Jim Ford
21st May 2008, 10:08 AM
How about this thread:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1814

Jim

Paulpp
21st May 2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks - although about a different make it looks like the same issue.

Jim Ford
21st May 2008, 10:34 AM
If you decide to try pulling the pins back out using needle-nosed pliers, I suggest you slide a piece of wire insulation (or similar) over the pins, to prevent damage to the gold plating or bruising of the pin.

Jim

Paulpp
21st May 2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks, not sure I am brave enough and I would have to buy suitable pliers

HughofBardfield
22nd May 2008, 09:33 AM
What a bummer!

They seem to have redesigned the grip recently, and I have been thinking of getting one for my E510 after getting a grip for my E1 (cheers, Ian!).

It's the first time I've seen someone post a problem like this with this item, but it's put me right off.

Have you tried contacting Ownuser direct? I seem to remember people on DPReview praising their response to other problems.

Paulpp
22nd May 2008, 09:04 PM
What a pain, but have decided to send the E3 back to Olympus for repair. Hopefully they may see it as a warranty issue. I ordered via "enjoyyourcamera.com" in Germany who have promised a refund.

peak4
22nd May 2008, 11:02 PM
Paul, only just spotted this thread, but I posted some measurements on the US site a while ago.
http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?p=271570#poststop

Good luck with the repair. I understand that the official Oly fix is to glue it in with superglue rather than relying on a friction fit.
Note also my comment about being able to suck air through the socket on the E-3 unlike the E-1, so it might only be weather resistant on the E-3 with the little cover screwed on.
Maybe it's worth sending it back for glueing in on those grounds alone.

Paulpp
23rd May 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for that - seems to confirm the problem