PDA

View Full Version : Diffuser for FL50 Flashgun

Naughty Nigel
20th May 2008, 07:11 AM
At a recent E3 demo day I tried the new FL50-R with attached diffuser, which I liked.

From what I coudl see the FL50 and FL50-R are externally identical, so there is no reason why the new diffuser shouldn't fit the FL50.

I would very much like a similar diffuser for my FL50, but I am told that I would have to buy a complete FL50-R to get one!

Does anyone know if Olympus UK has any plans to make these available separeately - possibly as spares for hapless FL50-R owners.;);)

Nigel.

DTD
20th May 2008, 07:56 AM
Don't know if Olympus will.

A Stofen does much the same thing I've got one for my FL36 bought from Jacobs for about 15.

CaptainD
20th May 2008, 08:32 AM
Yes the part is available as an Olympus spare part and it will fit the FL-50. I saw one listed on ebay a few weeks ago from a US dealer.

However, as previously suggested buy a Stofen one as they are so easy to get hold of and will do exactly the same job. Best of all it will save you some money.

Cheers

Chris *chr

CaptainD
20th May 2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that if the Olympus part is really what you want the Olympus part number is FLBA-1.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Naughty Nigel
20th May 2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that if the Olympus part is really what you want the Olympus part number is FLBA-1.

Cheers

Chris *chr

Thanks for that. I will have a look around.

Nigel.

Naughty Nigel
20th May 2008, 08:37 PM
As a follow up, I e-mailed Olympus to ask about price and availability of the FLBA-1.

They replied saying that they didnt have a shop, and couldn't give me a price, but suggested that I phone 'Camera Shop' on 01562 742 118.

I duly called, and was told that Olympus have removed said part from their price list as (after six months in production:rolleyes:) it is no longer made.
:confused:

I have e-mailed back to Olympus to see whether the part number has changed, and await a reply.

If possible I would prefer to use the Olympus part as it should fit properly, and hopefully won't fall off. I often work in situations where if things are dropped they are lost for good, so I am less keen to rely on a third party device which may not stay on as well.

Invicta
20th May 2008, 08:47 PM
Can not say about Oly UK, but Oly US has the item listed:

Flash Dome Diffuser
Item: #260119-410

Replacement diffuser for the FL-50R. Can also be used with the FL-50. Provides soft fill and multi-directional flash making it ideal for close work and portrait fill.

Item #260119

From http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_slr_accessories.asp?product=1323&acccategory=all

US site has a shop but have never tried it so not sure if they will post to the UK.

Naughty Nigel
20th May 2008, 09:48 PM
Can not say about Oly UK, but Oly US has the item listed:

From http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/oima_slr_accessories.asp?product=1323&acccategory=all

US site has a shop but have never tried it so not sure if they will post to the UK.

Looks interesting. Good price too.

Is anyone else interested in one of these? If so I might order a few.

UK landed price looks to be about 15 each.

Naughty Nigel
22nd May 2008, 11:42 AM
As a post, post script, I spoke to our local dealer today (RGB Labs in Middlesbrough), and they are able to supply both flash accessories for 9.99 each inclusive of VAT.

Details are as follows:

FLBA-1 Dome Diffuser

Item 260119-410

Price 9.99

FLRA-1 Reflector Adaptor

Item 260117-410

Price 9.99

Recorded Delivery postage is 1.99 extra.

RGB can be contacted on 01642 228182 or at www.rgb-labs.co.uk

I have ordered mine today, so it may be worth contacting them so they can order a few together.

Nigel.

HughofBardfield
22nd May 2008, 03:08 PM
I will definitely order a FLRA-1 right now. Looks better than the "Better Bounce Card" I was going to make!

I had a StoFen disfuser when I had the FL36 - the FLBA-1 looks pretty similar. I have to say, I didn't like it much. I picked up a funny little diffuser on eBay last year that gave much better results but cut the light output a bit much on the FL36: (looked like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Camera-Tools-Lambency-Flash-Diffuser_W0QQitemZ150247842830QQihZ005QQcategoryZ6 4354QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem).

I like the bounce card principle more as it's more adjustable.

Naughty Nigel
22nd May 2008, 03:34 PM
I recently (about a year ago) bought a genuine Olympus diffuser for my F280 flashgun (for the OM4Ti). I hadn't even known they were available!

It wasn't cheap (about 16), but it fitted properly was much better than the other contraptions that I have tried. It also preserved the light output reasonably well, which was a bonus with the F280.

Naughty Nigel
20th July 2008, 09:08 PM
I finally took delivery of my FL50 diffuser on Friday.

I must say it provides much more even illumination than the naked flashgun, especialy when photographing people.

The diffuser is very light in weight, and doesn't make the flashgun much bigger, so I plan to leave it on the flashgun full time.