PDA

View Full Version : Slave flashes Metz

ian_t
25th January 2012, 09:37 PM
Hi all,

I have an old E-3 which I understand can remotely activate slave flashes by the light emitted by the built in flash (as can other models).

Does anyone happen to know if the Metz Olympus spec models (eg the 36 AF-4, or the 44 AF-1) can be activated in this manner?

also, am interested generally how slave flashes work? Can any be connected to the E-3 by cable to the front flash jack? I also own an e-410, can they be linked in any way?

I'm doing a college course in photography and value input of any experienced owners.

Thanks!

Jim Ford
25th January 2012, 10:23 PM
My Metz 15 MS-1 ringflash works perfectly wirelessly with my E3.

Jim

Wreckdiver
25th January 2012, 11:13 PM
The "front flash jack" is also known as a PC connector and is an extension of the camera's hot shoe socket on the top. The PC connector can trigger flashes but not in TTL mode, purely manual. You just need to watch that the trigger voltage isn't too high for the camera with non Olympus flashes.

Steve

FlemmingS
26th January 2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Iant
I am struggling with the same problem. I have an Olympyu FL36R and a METZ 48 flah
Both are capable of being controlled remotely by my E-30 and E-P3, and
I often use them on flashstands where they are triggered remotely by camera.

But the FL36R can be set to SLAVE flash mode, where it is triggered by any flash charge.
But it seems that the METZ flash can only be triggered by the camera remote control ?
I wonder why the Metz can't be fired as a 'true' slave flash like the Olympus Flash? Maybe there is a firmware update available?

Otherwise I am very happy with the metz *chr

judasz
26th January 2012, 08:57 PM
you have to use flash build in camera to fire metz 48 , do you have right settings in metz? like channels etc.?

FlemmingS
27th January 2012, 08:18 AM
Hi Judasz
Sorry i wasn't precise in my description.
I can fire the flash using the camera's built-in flash when setting RCflash mode on both camera and flash (Both Fl36R and MEtz 48) and adjusting Channel .

But the FL36R support yet another mode, that the Metz 48 apparently doesn't:
It can be set to trigger when another flash is fired.
This is actually very usefull when using a non four-thirds camera but only the FL36(R) seems to support this.

Edit:
Take a look at FL36R manual page 39, I haven't found the same functionality on the Metz flash