PDA

View Full Version : eGroup Meetup Anyone interested in a London after work meet in the spring?

JonSchick
22nd January 2012, 09:31 PM
I was wondering if there'd be any takers for an evening stroll around the South Bank - probably starting around Waterloo and looking in the Tate Modern, and heading towards Tower Bridge before going home from London Bridge? We'd be going past a few hostelries too....

Probably needs to be timed for when we'd get nice sunset and light after work, and when the weather would be better - so I'm thinking April/May, preferably a Friday.

Was also thinking of inviting any (Micro) Four Thirds people if you don't mind some Panasonics coming along too?

Let me know via this thread if you're interested and if there are some takers, I'll suggest some dates.

Cheers,

Jon

jchallen
22nd January 2012, 10:40 PM
I'm in. I often work locally so I should be able to make most dates.

Zuiko
22nd January 2012, 10:54 PM
Hi Jon,

Great idea and I'm possibly up for this, depending on my employment and financial situations at the time.

I am planning to arrange a similar meet on a Saturday in May, when one of our Canadian members, Bill Gordon, will be in London. Bill has a great photographic pedigree and he would love to meet as many members as possible while he is here.

But an evening meet, great idea, if the light is right it will give a different potential to the South Bank. And if you get a few Panny users along so much the better - photography is really about taking pictures rather than cameras. We even had a Canon user along to a studio workshop we ran a while back. :)

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd January 2012, 10:55 PM
I really enjoy these meetings, please count me in.

*chr

andym
23rd January 2012, 11:32 AM
All being well I'll be there.

You never know there may be an OM-D to try.

maccabeej
23rd January 2012, 12:54 PM
No guarantees, but I would be interested as I work nr St Paul's.
Jim

JonSchick
23rd January 2012, 09:40 PM
Sounds like we're definitely getting some interest! Wonder if our website host can come along too (with some goodies to try, obviously)? :)

Bill Gordon
23rd January 2012, 10:18 PM
Hi Jon,

Great idea and I'm possibly up for this, depending on my employment and financial situations at the time.

I am planning to arrange a similar meet on a Saturday in May, when one of our Canadian members, Bill Gordon, will be in London. Bill has a great photographic pedigree and he would love to meet as many members as possible while he is here.

But an evening meet, great idea, if the light is right it will give a different potential to the South Bank. And if you get a few Panny users along so much the better - photography is really about taking pictures rather than cameras. We even had a Canon user along to a studio workshop we ran a while back. :)
Thanks John, and yes I will be in London from May 9th until 30th..and yes I would love to get together any time any place (within reason) and I am staying at the Victory Service Club on Seymour Street at Edgeware road (handy to the park and many interesting places) I am going to be busy on the first Saturday but after that so far, I can be free.

Andrew Riddell
23rd January 2012, 10:21 PM
Good idea, Jon. I'm up for it, depending on dates.

Andrew

Adam Easton
23rd January 2012, 11:49 PM
Count me in!*yes

Zuiko
24th January 2012, 12:08 AM
Jon, just a thought - if it was Friday 11th, 18th or 25th of May it would coincide with Bill's trip to London.

Bill, how would you feel about a Friday evening meet if a good crowd are going? I could join you earlier in the day (if I'm still unemployed) or meet you on a Saturday too, with anyone else who fancies a Saturday?

Bill Gordon
24th January 2012, 03:33 PM
Jon, just a thought - if it was Friday 11th, 18th or 25th of May it would coincide with Bill's trip to London.

Bill, how would you feel about a Friday evening meet if a good crowd are going? I could join you earlier in the day (if I'm still unemployed) or meet you on a Saturday too, with anyone else who fancies a Saturday?

John, at this moment in time I am available....I am in your capable hands.

Zuiko
24th January 2012, 04:05 PM
John, at this moment in time I am available....I am in your capable hands.

Great, let's see what Jon comes up with. :)

JonSchick
24th January 2012, 09:38 PM
Any of these dates work for me, so perhaps others could let me know what works best out of 11th, 18th, 25th and we'll settle on the most convenient for the majority?

Sunset times are 20:40, 20:50 and 21:00 respectively - which means that if we go for the later dates, we should avoid total darkness which will help the photography before the pub beckons!

Cheers,

Jon

andym
24th January 2012, 09:42 PM
I'm fine for the first two but not the 25th.

Andrew Riddell
24th January 2012, 10:21 PM
I've no idea of my availability so early, so I'll fit in if I can at the time.

Andrew

The Saint
25th January 2012, 01:31 PM
Subject to work commitments and getting a pass to stay out late, I'll be up for a walk along the south bank

Simon

Adam Easton
25th January 2012, 11:43 PM
I can make 11th & 25th but not the 18th

Bill Gordon
26th January 2012, 12:30 AM

I am available for any or all of those dates

JonSchick
28th January 2012, 10:37 AM
Let's go with 11th May as the date that everyone has so far said they can make. More details closer to the time but assume we'll be wandering around the Thames Path and South Bank area, so will be easy to get to.

Cheers,

Jon

Zuiko
28th January 2012, 11:10 AM
Let's go with 11th May as the date that everyone has so far said they can make. More details closer to the time but assume we'll be wandering around the Thames Path and South Bank area, so will be easy to get to.

Cheers,

Jon

Thanks Jon, that sounds ideal. :)

andym
28th January 2012, 01:40 PM
Good that's the best one for me.I could have made the 18th but am going away the next day.

Adam Easton
28th January 2012, 02:17 PM
Looking forward to it!*chr

Janet
28th January 2012, 02:51 PM
We even had a Canon user along to a studio workshop we ran a while back.

Ah bless! They have to learn somewhere...! :)

I'm too far away to make it, but hopefully we'll get something organised "oop north" before too long.

Sounds like you're in for a lot of fun...

Janet

Bill Gordon
28th January 2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks Jon, that sounds ideal. :)

Wonderful...I have it on my calendar now so all we need to know is time and place of meeting. I look forward to it.

drmarkf
15th February 2012, 01:31 PM
Excellent - I should be able to make that, especially from mid-late afternoon onwards - please include me in any notifications of times & places.

JonSchick
23rd February 2012, 10:52 PM
Quick note to follow a lovely chat with Bill Graham who called from Canada last night - and to confirm this walk on 11 May is definitely going ahead. I'll post more details closer to the time (after the Easter break).

Cheers,

Jon

Bill Gordon
23rd February 2012, 11:40 PM
Quick note to follow a lovely chat with Bill Graham who called from Canada last night - and to confirm this walk on 11 May is definitely going ahead. I'll post more details closer to the time (after the Easter break).

Cheers,

Jon

just a correction...it is Bill Gordon

JonSchick
24th February 2012, 08:27 PM
just a correction...it is Bill Gordon

Oops! Sorry Bill - need to stop posting past my bed time!

Bill Gordon
24th February 2012, 08:55 PM
Oops! Sorry Bill - need to stop posting past my bed time!

No Problem....I also forget....*chr

PeterMG
24th February 2012, 10:51 PM
Hi everyone, I've neglected :mad: my photography for 18 months or more, work pressure and all that, but as I work in the big smoke this just maybe just the opportunity to get back into it. Count me in for now. *chr

JonSchick
24th February 2012, 11:03 PM
Excellent Peter - good to see another E-1 still being used in London!

Hope to see you in May,

Jon

Bill Gordon
25th February 2012, 12:17 AM
Hi everyone, I've neglected :mad: my photography for 18 months or more, work pressure and all that, but as I work in the big smoke this just maybe just the opportunity to get back into it. Count me in for now. *chr

Gosh, this is getting better and better......

Bill Gordon
7th March 2012, 06:36 PM
Hi over there!!

As there has not been much activity on the subject I thought I would revive it by suggest if someone who is attending would advise a time and place for meeting as time is fast approaching towards Friday May 11th.!!

JonSchick
7th March 2012, 06:59 PM
Hi All - I'll confirm arrangements for this - after I return from a forthcoming trip to the USA. Will post further details in the second half of April, but work on the assumption that we will be meeting near Waterloo at around 6-6:30pm (I need to get in after work and will be coming from Kingston). The walk along the South Bank should get us to London Bridge sometime between 8-9pm depending upon what we do en route! I have plans for that too.....

Best wishes,

Jon

Bill Gordon
7th March 2012, 07:05 PM
Hi All - I'll confirm arrangements for this - after I return from a forthcoming trip to the USA. Will post further details in the second half of April, but work on the assumption that we will be meeting near Waterloo at around 6-6:30pm (I need to get in after work and will be coming from Kingston). The walk along the South Bank should get us to London Bridge sometime between 8-9pm depending upon what we do en route! I have plans for that too.....

Best wishes,

Jon

Wunnerful!!!! As Lawrence Welk would say!

andym
7th March 2012, 07:12 PM
Hi I have plans for that too.....

Jon

Well there's The George,The Anchor and The Dickens to name but a few.;););)

JonSchick
7th March 2012, 08:11 PM
Great minds.....

Bill Gordon
7th March 2012, 08:15 PM
Great minds.....

Hmmmmm....I recall the George....almost as old as I feel!!*chr

Bikie John
7th March 2012, 08:26 PM
Well there's The George,The Anchor and The Dickens to name but a few.;););)

Bloke came up to me in the library last week and said "'Ere mate, d'you like Dickens?". I said "Don't know, never been to one".

(Very old joke courtesy of the sadly late Fred Wedlock)

Ciao ... John

drmarkf
7th March 2012, 11:56 PM
Hmmmmm....I recall the George....almost as old as I feel!!*chr

You and me both.

I went to Shakespeare performances there in 1976.

Zuiko
8th March 2012, 12:01 AM
You and me both.

I went to Shakespeare performances there in 1976.

I'm nearly old enough (at least I feel nearly old enough) to have attended the premiere! :eek:

Bill Gordon
8th March 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm nearly old enough (at least I feel nearly old enough) to have attended the premiere! :eek:

Well, it certainly is old...the furniture in particular!! Old and almost worn out!!

JonSchick
24th March 2012, 06:44 PM
Quick reminder to look here a week or so after Easter, and I'll post some confirmed details of times and start point (around Waterloo). Looking forward to meeting up with you all!

Cheers,

Jon

Bill Gordon
24th March 2012, 08:12 PM
Quick reminder to look here a week or so after Easter, and I'll post some confirmed details of times and start point (around Waterloo). Looking forward to meeting up with you all!

Cheers,

Jon
Looking forward to meeting up with you all!
AS DO I!*chr

Bill Gordon
11th April 2012, 03:05 PM
I look forward to seeing lots of new OM D5s on May 11th, 2012!*chr

Ian
11th April 2012, 04:59 PM
I will do my best to come along too!

Ian

Bill Gordon
11th April 2012, 05:20 PM
Wunnerfull!!!!

Zuiko
11th April 2012, 05:26 PM
I will do my best to come along too!

Ian

It depends on whether you've finished those real world 100-300mm tests on FTU by then. ;)

:D

PeterBirder
11th April 2012, 08:09 PM
It depends on whether you've finished those real world 100-300mm tests on FTU by then. ;)

:D

He he. I've been watching that thread. Service "above and beyond the call of duty" by Ian I think.*yes

At least someone thinks the "real world" is this side of the pond.:)

JonSchick
11th April 2012, 11:19 PM
....I can always bring my 100-300 if Ian has a few last minute shots to take!

Emailing from the other side of the pond (well, same side for Bill) and relaxing here with in-laws (really!) in Vermont. They don't call it New England for nothing... the weather's just as bad as blighty!

Have been enjoying taking plenty of shots here with the mZuiko 9-18 and 45mm lenses... plus my duty-free purchase on the way out of LHR: the PZ14-42 which I'm pleased with so far, and is amazingly compact (about the same size as the 20mm pancake). For once, the airport price was really good, and I can get another 50 rebate when I return home, so quite a happy camper.

Will post some final details about the walk after I've returned - and great that so many people are planning to join us.

Cheers,

Jon

Bill Gordon
12th April 2012, 01:53 PM
He he. I've been watching that thread. Service "above and beyond the call of duty" by Ian I think.*yes

At least someone thinks the "real world" is this side of the pond.:)

Hi Peter, the Real World is on your side of the Pond...in fact it is where our side of the Pond started from!!

Bill Gordon
20th April 2012, 08:50 PM

Cheers,

Jon

Hello again Jon....the week is up and I count including myself 13 people attending or hoping to attend this event. I was wondering if you have the details and could you share them so that we can put it all on our calenders as time is flying by so fast!!

JonSchick
20th April 2012, 10:45 PM
OK - here's the info everyone!

Sunset on the 11th May is at around 20:40 so, weather permitting, we should have some nice evening light if we head out at around 18:30.

I suggest that we meet at a small pub near Waterloo - not for the drinking, but rather because it is situated in a Victorian street of terraced houses, which is worth going for even without the beers. The pub is the King's Arms, which is at 25 Roupell Street. From Waterloo, you reach here by walking down Exton Street and crossing over Cornwall Road. It shouldn't take more than five minutes from the railway station.

I will be at the pub as soon as I can after 18:00, and I think we should aim to leave by 18:30.

From the pub, it's a short walk to the South Bank, and we'll walk alongside the National Theatre before turning east and heading towards the Oxo Tower (we could even go up to the 8th floor to try out the views), Tate Modern (again, it stays open late and we could go upstairs for great views of the Millenium Bridge and St Paul's Cathedral) and Shakespeare's Globe.

Depending upon what people want to do, we can then either find a suitable place to have a sit and natter (and pint), or carry on past Southwark Cathedral, Hay's Galleria and the HMS Belfast, towards Tower Bridge.

Either way, we will finish close to London Bridge railway and underground stations, and the whole walk is somewhat less than 2 miles with lots of opportunities to pause along the way.

I will send PMs over the next few days to everyone who has indicated they hope to come along, so that we can swap mobile phone numbers in case there are any issues on the night.

Cheers,

Jon

Zuiko
21st April 2012, 09:20 AM
Thanks Jon, I'm really looking forward to this and will be arriving with Bill Gordon, whom I will be meeting earlier in the day. :)

JonSchick
21st April 2012, 01:36 PM
Great news John - look forward to catching up with you again.

Cheers,

Jon

Janet
21st April 2012, 01:57 PM
Sounds like you're in for a fun evening!

The rest of us will look forward to seeing the results....

Janet

drmarkf
22nd April 2012, 09:11 PM
Excellent - I hope to be there, although I'm in a draw to win a tour of the McLaren F1 Technology Centre in Woking on that day, and I hope I'm forgiven, if I win, that I go there instead *shrug

Zuiko
22nd April 2012, 09:29 PM
Excellent - I hope to be there, although I'm in a draw to win a tour of the McLaren F1 Technology Centre in Woking on that day, and I hope I'm forgiven, if I win, that I go there instead *shrug

If you win can you take around 15 guests? That would make a novel group meet! :D

drmarkf
22nd April 2012, 09:47 PM
Delighted, but I think Ron Dennis may have a few problems with that...

I've been before, about 8 years ago, and I can vouch that it wouldnt be a very good photo meet since you're not allowed to take cameras in to the building!

cinders
29th April 2012, 06:25 PM
I think I may just have worked out to get up for this! Can you please add me to the list.
Looking forward to seeing you all.
Cindy :)

Bill Gordon
29th April 2012, 06:32 PM
Wunnerful Cindy, look forward to meeting you....along with the other dozen!!*chr

JonSchick
29th April 2012, 09:24 PM
Wow - looks like it's going to be quite a party! Looking forward to meeting everyone, and busy finding out some interesting facts about our route to make sure it's worth while!

Cheers,

Jon

al_kaholik
30th April 2012, 09:15 AM
I'd like to get added to the list too please :)

maccabeej
1st May 2012, 10:16 AM
Just got go ahead from the boss so count me in.
Jim.

spn0923
2nd May 2012, 06:55 PM
begging bowl coming up...
is anyone coming armed with a 70-300. I think I want (need for the finance controller!) one but want to try one first.
looking forward to meeting you all.

cinders
2nd May 2012, 09:59 PM
I have one and will try to remember to bring it.

Bill Gordon
6th May 2012, 02:15 PM
According to the weather predictions as seen over here it looks like rain for Friday (including Thursday and Saturday) and so I am assume that the meet up will be off????

Ann1e
6th May 2012, 02:41 PM
According to the weather predictions as seen over here it looks like rain for Friday (including Thursday and Saturday) and so I am assume that the meet up will be off????

Bill - I think it is much easier to make a prediction for conditions when tracking weather across either Canada or the US, as you have much greater land masses. Here in the UK which is a small island, wind changes can happen suddenly and weather patterns change all the time. My own experience is that it is impossible to give an accurate 10 day forecast, although this is exactly what is attempted, and I certainly don't take much notice of the anticipated weather here anything more than 48 hours in advance. Keep fingers crossed for Friday - could be better than expected!

Regards,
Ann1e

JonSchick
6th May 2012, 02:50 PM
Unless it is absolutely bucketing down, I will be there.... the batteries for the E-1 will be put on charge just in case :) My guess is that we might get the occasional rain shower if we're unlucky, but we should be able to get indoors if necessary (South Bank Centre, Tate Modern, pubs....).

Going down there tomorrow to check whether there are any roadworks/closed footpaths etc, and to try and spot some interesting places to photograph. Will report back....

Cheers,

Jon

Bill Gordon
6th May 2012, 05:53 PM
Unless it is absolutely bucketing down, I will be there.... the batteries for the E-1 will be put on charge just in case :) My guess is that we might get the occasional rain shower if we're unlucky, but we should be able to get indoors if necessary (South Bank Centre, Tate Modern, pubs....).

Going down there tomorrow to check whether there are any roadworks/closed footpaths etc, and to try and spot some interesting places to photograph. Will report back....

Cheers,

Jon

Jon and Annie you have made my day!! I also will be there!! I just went out to the store and bought an umbrella just in case...I hope I bring it home unopened! Gosh, I wish I was bringing an OM D5 but that has to wait until AFTER the holiday!!

The Saint
6th May 2012, 06:31 PM
Bill, a little bit of rain doesn't stop us brits!

And think of the nice reflections in the puddles!

I'll be there unless work locks the doors and don't let us out!

Simon

Andrew Riddell
6th May 2012, 07:33 PM
Jon,

Assuming the start is Roupell St (in the pub or not!), here's a link to its history: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/C5073E52-EED2-4DC2-A995-20030D8EA07B/0/RoupellStreetCAstatement2007publisher.pdf

Hope to see you on Friday!

Andrew

andym
7th May 2012, 11:36 AM
All being well I'll be there.Can't stay to late though as I'm on pick up duty later that evening and therefore not much beer.

Doug H
7th May 2012, 09:12 PM
A meet on my doorstep! - please count me in.
Thanks
Doug

jchallen
7th May 2012, 10:11 PM
Count me in. I will be working in and around Waterloo on Friday so I should there in plenty of time.

Now I just need to figure a way to convince my good lady to collect me!

JonSchick
7th May 2012, 10:13 PM
Checked things out this afternoon and pulling together a few bits of info about the places we're walking past, just in case we get bored of talking about the OM-D!

So - photos, trivia and beer. Look forward to seeing you all

Cheers,

Jon

Bill Gordon
7th May 2012, 10:27 PM
Wunnerful Jon....you are doing a good job as organizer!! I'll drink to that*chr

drmarkf
8th May 2012, 07:59 PM
Latest forecast on my (paid-for, and generally quite accurate in my experience) WeatherPro HD iPad app is quite good for Friday - currently rain-free :)

JonSchick
8th May 2012, 08:46 PM
Here's a few quick snaps from my recce yesterday!

When I got into London, I saw one of the new "Boris" Routemasters at Victoria Station, and thought I might as well give it a whirl - doesn't feel terribly much like the old ones, but nice nonetheless:

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-Lqcqq5C/0/L/12May07-untitled-001-L.jpg

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-Xmkh7DM/0/L/12May07-untitled-002-L.jpg

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-8GZkgDt/0/L/12May07-untitled-006-L.jpg

It's been a long time since I saw a bus conductor - he loved it!

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-BpxzDjx/0/L/12May07-untitled-008-L.jpg

So, after a bit of messing around, I got to try out the EM-5 in a couple of stores :) before wandering back towards the South Bank. They were definitely right about the weather, but thank goodness for everyone else that I didn't burst into song:

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-8WR5G5D/0/L/12May07-untitled-015-Edit-L.jpg

So, for those who arrive on time on Friday who fancy a bit of a treat to eat, you can't do much better than Konditoor and Cook on the corner of Roupell St:

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-SNbhRjD/0/L/12May07-untitled-027-L.jpg

Following the French election results, I see that Angela Merkel has been working on a new cheaper fleet of fire engines for M Hollande...

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-gXzzP5c/0/L/12May07-untitled-035-L.jpg

Readers of AP from the days when the P didn't stand for "Photographer" will remember this boat from the tests they used to publish:

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-gTtsKqt/0/L/12May07-untitled-037-L.jpg

Depending upon how many of us there are, we might go up the Oxo Tower - I've checked with them that it's fine for us to take our gear on to the public viewing gallery, where the view is something like this:

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-5w4GKwS/0/L/12May07-untitled-038-L.jpg

Also came across an important snippet of previously-unknown historical trivia:

http://jonschick.smugmug.com/Photography/E-System-User/i-HwpPdBf/0/L/12May07-untitled-044-L.jpg

Bottom line - there are some bits of pavement that are being dig up (grrr... Olympics!) but nothing that will stop us. I've got some more accurate trivia than the stuff shared above, and hopefully we'll be headed for an enjoyable evening.

If you want to send me your mobile number in advance, please do - and I'll send mine too so you can send text on the night if your plans change.

Cheers,

Jon

Ian
9th May 2012, 07:59 AM
The weather is looking up for Friday - a bit cooler but clearer skies. I will be there :)

Ian

PS Would anyone like me to bring anything? Any hire orders? Save on shipping fees!

PeterMG
9th May 2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Ian good to see you coming. The last outing I went on you bought the 14 - 35 f2 when we visited Keyhaven. I know everyone is dying to try the EM-5 as am I but that 14-35 helped my E1 take some very nice shots. Perhaps it could slip by mistake into your camera bag *chr *yes :D

Phill D
9th May 2012, 08:54 PM
Just read through the whole thread and it sounds like you are going to have a great time whatever the weather. Really nice that it's going to fit in with Bills holiday over here. Unfortunately I'll be in Sheffield for work all day Friday & then it's my mums birthday on the Saturday so no way I can join you. Hence I'm looking forward to the post meet-up thread and images already. Have fun everyone.

Ian
10th May 2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Ian good to see you coming. The last outing I went on you bought the 14 - 35 f2 when we visited Keyhaven. I know everyone is dying to try the EM-5 as am I but that 14-35 helped my E1 take some very nice shots. Perhaps it could slip by mistake into your camera bag *chr *yes :D

No problem - I will bring one with me :)

Ian

Bikie John
10th May 2012, 08:57 AM
I hope to make it but may have to leave a bit early as it's a bit of a schlep with not many trains back to sunny Salisbury.

Does any kind soul have the Panny micro43 100-300 that they wouldn't mind letting me try on the E-M5? If the focus speed is up to the job, it could be a great lightweight combo for those rare sunny (and dry) rugby and cricket days. I might bring something rather more retro along with me :)

Ciao ... John

Ian
10th May 2012, 09:46 AM
I hope to make it but may have to leave a bit early as it's a bit of a schlep with not many trains back to sunny Salisbury.

Does any kind soul have the Panny micro43 100-300 that they wouldn't mind letting me try on the E-M5? If the focus speed is up to the job, it could be a great lightweight combo for those rare sunny (and dry) rugby and cricket days. I might bring something rather more retro along with me :)

Ciao ... John

I have the 100-300 and will bring that along with the m.Zuiko 75-300 :)

Ian

Doug H
10th May 2012, 11:28 AM
That's good to know, Ian, thanks - I'll also be in the queue to compare the two.
Did I read somewhere you were also reviewing both?
Doug

Ian
10th May 2012, 11:34 AM
That's good to know, Ian, thanks - I'll also be in the queue to compare the two.
Did I read somewhere you were also reviewing both?
Doug

There are a lot of comparison samples I produced last month on FTU. I think both lenses are very good. The 75-300 can sometimes focus faster than the 100-300.

Ian

Bikie John
10th May 2012, 11:45 AM
I have the 100-300 and will bring that along with the m.Zuiko 75-300 :)

Ian

Many thanks Ian. I looked at the specs a little while back and thought the m.Zuiko would probably be a bit slow (light-wise) whereas the Panny 100-300 is pretty close to the 50-200/EC-14 combo - it just loses about a third of a stop at the long end (f/5.6 vs f/4.9 if memory serves).

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow ... John

andym
10th May 2012, 12:14 PM
If everyone turns up we'll probably take over the Kings Arms.;);););)

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 02:10 PM
Well, I wasn't going to mention it because there is still a chance I am not going to make it. However, I have booked the rail tickets and plan on arriving into Paddington at 18:01 when I shall grab a cab to wherever you all are. I have sent a PM to Jon and Zuiko with my mobile - and will find out where you all are when (if) I arrive.

I have a meeting here in Cardiff that finishes at 14:30, and I have booked myself on the 16:09 from Newport. So, I have around an hour after my meeting to get home from the office, get changed, and then back out to BR Newport to catch the 16:09 to Paddington.

There's still a pretty significant risk that I won't be able to make it, but I do enjoy eGroup meets and have always wanted to attend a London one. Besides... I wanted to meet Bill too!!

So... fingers crossed, I'll catch up with you some time after 18:30 tomorrow...

Robusto
10th May 2012, 02:34 PM
I hope the weather is better for you all tomorrow its torrential downpours at present even had to close the golf course due to flooding looks like its going to be a bit be better tomorrow

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Weather forecast in London for tomorrow afternoon and evening:

https://img.skitch.com/20120510-fxct74458rqwudj4gaps8t4e7h.jpg

Ian
10th May 2012, 02:46 PM
Well, I wasn't going to mention it because there is still a chance I am not going to make it. However, I have booked the rail tickets and plan on arriving into Paddington at 18:01 when I shall grab a cab to wherever you all are. I have sent a PM to Jon and Zuiko with my mobile - and will find out where you all are when (if) I arrive.

I have a meeting here in Cardiff that finishes at 14:30, and I have booked myself on the 16:09 from Newport. So, I have around an hour after my meeting to get home from the office, get changed, and then back out to BR Newport to catch the 16:09 to Paddington.

There's still a pretty significant risk that I won't be able to make it, but I do enjoy eGroup meets and have always wanted to attend a London one. Besides... I wanted to meet Bill too!!

So... fingers crossed, I'll catch up with you some time after 18:30 tomorrow...

Good luck John! :)

Ian

Adam Easton
10th May 2012, 04:06 PM
I am looking to make it tomorrow so I look forward to seeing you all.*chr

drmarkf
10th May 2012, 04:29 PM
Will anyone have a 45mm f1.8 I could have a brief play with, please?

I'll bring my adapted Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 you can use in return (I haven't used any adapted lenses properly on the E-M5 yet, and it'll be interesting to see how they go).

theMusicMan
10th May 2012, 04:54 PM
Hey all

I have posted a tweet with the HashTag #eGroupLondon - why not join me by using that same hashtag in your tweets, and we can then keep in touch with each other as we travel there, as well as update people who may (or may not) be interested in our antics during the shoot...

https://img.skitch.com/20120510-82mk523a3k1ps8sknm34aaq2e7.jpg

Anyone...

Zuiko
10th May 2012, 05:35 PM
Hey all

I have posted a tweet with the HashTag #eGroupLondon - why not join me by using that same hashtag in your tweets, and we can then keep in touch with each other as we travel there, as well as update people who may (or may not) be interested in our antics during the shoot...

Anyone...

I don't have the mobile technology myself, John, but great idea for those who have. :)

cliff
10th May 2012, 06:22 PM
All being well I should be able to make it tomorrow as well...so I look forward to meeting you all at the King's arm's *chr - Cliff

JonSchick
10th May 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm bringing an Oly E-1 and he expects me to Tweet ?! :D

JonSchick
10th May 2012, 07:00 PM
Well, if everyone turns up we may have 20 - and possibly one more from DPR (who goes by the name "Wormsmeat" if you ever look over there). The pub won't know what's hit it!

Please note that I cannot check this forum from my work tomorrow, which means that I won't receive any last minute phone numbers unless they're PM'd tonight.

Cheers,

Jon

al_kaholik
10th May 2012, 07:43 PM
Paddington at 18:01 when I shall grab a cab to wherever you all are. I

Cab! In London! The Bakerloo line takes around 20 mins - I'd bank half an hour at that time of day :) You may even find it cheaper ;)

The Saint
10th May 2012, 08:20 PM
Will anyone have a 45mm f1.8 I could have a brief play with, please?

I'll bring my adapted Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 you can use in return (I haven't used any adapted lenses properly on the E-M5 yet, and it'll be interesting to see how they go).

The 45mm f1.8 is already in the bag (never go anywhere without it!)

Simon

drmarkf
10th May 2012, 08:23 PM

OMG (not OM-D ;)

I'm with Jon on this one.
I have taken a pledge not to attend any meetups that are advertised on tw@tter...

cinders
10th May 2012, 10:55 PM
OMG (not OM-D ;)

I have taken a pledge not to attend any meetups that are advertised on tw@tter...

I don't think I know how yet!

theMusicMan
11th May 2012, 05:46 AM
OMG (not OM-D ;)

We won't see you this evening then, Mark ?? :)

drmarkf
11th May 2012, 06:29 AM
I'm prepared to make an exception *chr

With a bit of luck, Cinders, the whole fad of polluting the electronic environment of our planet with crucially urgent messages about who's having a sh1t or taking a walk to the papershop will have passed before we need to use it!

...and I'm speaking as a passionate supporter of the blogosphere and a very early adopter of SMS messaging: curmudgeon I may be over this, but I'm certainly not a Luddite!

Anyway, Twitter's getting overtaken as an advertising medium by commercial interests, so fashion will move on soon enough and we'll be talking about it as we do of MySpace now. MyWhat?

See you later.

theMusicMan
11th May 2012, 06:55 AM
I'm prepared to make an exception *chr

With a bit of luck, Cinders, the whole fad of polluting the electronic environment of our planet with crucially urgent messages about who's having a sh1t or taking a walk to the papershop will have passed before we need to use it!

...and I'm speaking as a passionate supporter of the blogosphere and a very early adopter of SMS messaging: curmudgeon I may be over this, but I'm certainly not a Luddite!

Anyway, Twitter's getting overtaken as an advertising medium by commercial interests, so fashion will move on soon enough and we'll be talking about it as we do of MySpace now. MyWhat?

See you later.

Wehey - great stuff, glad to read that Mark - look forward to meeting you later

On a semi-serious note, I do take your point about the electronic social media environment being taken over by worthless and inane posts/messages - however... the #eGroupLondon is far from worthless - hehe!

My twitter feed at the moment is populated with messages of support for the tiny Newport County FC who are this weekend, playing in the final of the F.A. Trophy against York City at... check this... Wembley stadium.

I do find twitter better than fb for useful information depending on who one follows of course, and I have to say that fb has provided me with many photoshoots and weddings.

Anyway - look forward to meeting you all later... assuming I can make it to the train in time.

spn0923
11th May 2012, 02:10 PM
too late I know but have asked if anyone could bring a 70-300. Hope to meet you all later

Adam Easton
11th May 2012, 02:25 PM
I will have one

Ian
11th May 2012, 04:29 PM
The weather is looking great... Should get to the pub around 18:15. Did John make his train?

Ian

Ian
11th May 2012, 04:30 PM
Just heard from him and he is on his way :-)

Ian

The Saint
11th May 2012, 05:04 PM
On the bus now heading down to Waterloo guess I'll be there about 6.30 subject to traffic.

Simon

theMusicMan
11th May 2012, 09:38 PM
What a fab evening that was... quite cold though, am glad I took my hiking jacket! Managed to find some free WiFi on the train, how bizzare.

Met some smashing people, and by golly what a success this was with around 24 people coming along.

Thanks to Jon for organising this, I bet you didn't expect so many people to come along eh!

Now for the 2 hour train journey home... might start processing some pics!! :)

Graham_of_Rainham
11th May 2012, 10:39 PM
It was an excellent evening. A special thanks to Jon for not only working it all out but picking the right date for the weather...

I learned several things about that part of London, again thanks to Jon.

So good to see so many new faces as well as meeting up with friends.

*chr

andym
11th May 2012, 10:49 PM
Yes very good evening,shame I had to leave early.

Sorry if I didn't get a chance to say goodnight to everyone.

Ps Graham I didn't get the young lady's name.She seemed very relaxed posing for us.

PPs Nice to meet Bill and thanks for the Maple leaf.

The Saint
11th May 2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for arranging the event, was a great evening, sorry I lost you. Did check a few pubs out but could see you, hard to lose a gaggle of olympians but quite a few pubs in London!

Just been checking out the photos on the journey home and on the iPad the results from the OM-D looks very promising considering I shoot handheld all night.

Look forward to seeing you again at the next event.

Simon

Graham_of_Rainham
11th May 2012, 10:58 PM
Ps Graham I didn't get the young lady's name.She seemed very relaxed posing for us.

Her name is Pia Rauhalinna

http://www.modelmayhem.com/2627407

Any images taken of her can be sent to her directly (PM me for her e-mail)
or send them to me via e-mail and I'll pass them on.

Thanks

Barr1e
11th May 2012, 11:08 PM
Terrific day for me - lunch out (paid for by Ann1e) and then meeting fellow e-groupies. Pleasing to see some of our lady members.

Jon - a big thank you, it must have taken some time to do the research, enjoyed the facts on the sites visited.

Bill, thanks for my medal.

Also thanks to every member for being so friendly, I certainly enjoyed my evening.

Regards. Barr1e

Ann1e
11th May 2012, 11:18 PM
Many thanks Jon, for a well organised and researched day - most enjoyable.

Also many congratulations on being able to draw members from near and (in one case, very) far away. It was especially good to meet up with Bill but also to meet John and Cindy who had travelled from Wales.

Must make a note to consult with you Jon next time we are planning a break away from home. If we had done so, we would have missed the rain in Lisbon but, then again, if we had postponed our trip, we might have missed meeting up this evening!

Regards,
Ann1e

Adam Easton
12th May 2012, 12:04 AM
I would like to say a Huge Thank You to Jon for arranging a wonderful evening. It was so worth travailing down from Northampton to be there and it was great to meet so many friendly people. (this is the most friendliest forum ever) Sorry I missed you at the end but I had to run to catch my Train.

Best regards to you all*chr

Doug H
12th May 2012, 12:04 AM
Just to echo every one else's comments and thanks to Jon and also to Ian for his wealth of knowledge and kit.
Great to meet you all
Doug

maccabeej
12th May 2012, 07:11 AM
Great evening. Thanks for arranging it Jon. Sorry we lost the rest of you before your final stop. Haven't really had a chance to look at the pics properly yet. Graham I thought Pia was wonderful and the mix of Finnish and Moroccan gives her a very exotic look, will send any good shots when I get myself sorted out. Jim.

drmarkf
12th May 2012, 07:53 AM
What a great evening!

Many thanks indeed to Jon for superb organization and planning, to Pia for looking so good in the evening light, and to Ian for the short loan of the 45mm f1.8.

It was really good to meet in person those I did (especially Bill - I hope the colour's come back to your fingers now!) and apologies to those I didn't have time to talk to.

We must keep on doing this *chr

drmarkf
12th May 2012, 08:32 AM
I don't know if etiquette is for us to post links on meetup announcement threads, but here's link to my gallery with a few quick tweaks:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1426

This was my first proper outing with the E-M5. I really enjoyed the handling, and I can clearly see the improved raw noise performance and wider dynamic range over the E-PL2. I was on auto-ISO, limited to 3200.

The focussing was fun - I set it on continuous, tracking, activated by F1: it worked well with the 40-150 (e.g. the cyclist) but I had fewer successes with the 45. This may be down to my unfamiliarity with both lens and camera, but I was using a wider aperture with the prime, so maybe that had an influence.

JonSchick
12th May 2012, 09:06 AM
Glad everyone enjoyed themselves and thanks to everyone for coming along. I was amazed to see so many people turn up! Looking forward to seeing the photos over the weekend (as long as there aren't any more of me. Ahem, Mark!).

Cheers,

Jon

Bikie John
12th May 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks from here too. A most enjoyable evening and I am trying to sort out budget to hire Jon as lighting engineer.

Ciao ... John

PeterMG
12th May 2012, 04:28 PM
Just like to add my thanks to John for organising the event and sorry to anyone I didn't say hello to. Pity I had to leave early by First great Western just would hold the train. Now to the Photos

cliff
12th May 2012, 07:45 PM
Wow, cheers Jon for suggesting and sorting this event, *chr it was really great to meet everyone and there was a fantastic buzz throughout.
I got separated at the end so didn't get to say goodbye to most people... so I guess we'll just have to do it all again :D maybe once a month in the summer?
And BTW how many Jon/John's were there? :eek:
I had a fantastic time even the ride in and out was good fun on my piaggio MP3 250, everyone was very friendly, so a belated goodnight if I missed you and hope to meet you all again soon - best regards Cliff

Ian
14th May 2012, 05:30 PM
I think it was a great success :) Great to meet everyone and especially Bill all the way from Toronto and as sharp as a razor :D

Sorry for the late posting of my shots (very busy weekend including me learning how to install an integrated dishwasher!

But they are up now here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20490

Ian