PDA

View Full Version : Next Olympus Model Named... :-)

JohnF
15th January 2012, 11:17 AM
Well, at least Olympus has registered a name for their next Olympus camera:

http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/uspto/olympus+om-d/85507702

The Olympus OM-D, ladies and gentlemen.*chr*chr*chr

Registered January 3rd, 2012, no registration number has been yet granted, nor is there a "graphic representation".

But there is this:

digital cameras; interchangeable lenses; extension and conversion lenses; lens filters; lens hoods; lens caps; lens support arms; electronic flashes; flash brackets; batteries and electrical cells; battery chargers; alternating current (AC) adapters; power battery holders; remote controls for cameras; focusing screens; mount adapters; eyecups; hoods for liquid crystal displays of cameras; camera cases; camera straps; water proof protectors for cameras; memory cards; adapters for memory cards; computer software for viewing, managing and editing images and sounds

That's the category for which this name has been registered.

Sounds like a system camera to me: especially the focusing screens, hoods for LCD displays, interchangeable lenses, extension & conversion lenses, flashes, AC adapters, power battery holders, remote controls, water proof protectors, etc etc etc.

Olympus is supposed to be announcing something in February: let the speculation begin! :-)

I am imagining a OM-lookalike, slightly larger than the EP1, with an electronic viewfinder plus live view on the back. Nominally powered by the BLS-5 battery, using a battery pack with four BLS-5 as an option (it's a small battery and we need more power!), flash system from the 4/3 world, and a new processor that handles the 4/3 lenses just as well as the m4/3, preferably with a phase detection autofocus embedded on the sensor, which would be at least the 16MP Panasonic sensor (or, alternatively, a new 12MP "OM" sensor that would take on the big boys for low light performance.

I can wish, can't I? :-)

andym
15th January 2012, 11:25 AM
This has been floating about for the last couple of weeks on the rumors site.

I'm saving already:eek::eek::eek::eek:

David M
15th January 2012, 01:21 PM
I'm saving already.

Yeah, maybe I should put my purchase of an E-5 on hold for another month or two.

StephenL
15th January 2012, 02:31 PM
OMD - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark if I recall !

Zuiko
15th January 2012, 02:51 PM

My first thought, too. :D

andym
15th January 2012, 03:06 PM

Does that mean better noise performance;););)

StephenL
15th January 2012, 03:26 PM
I think it means Olympus are working in the dark!

Ulfric M Douglas
15th January 2012, 04:46 PM
Good band, good records ... good camera name I reckon.

Blimey they still exist, reformed in some way ;
http://www.omd.uk.com/
doing gigs and stuff.

JohnF
15th January 2012, 04:56 PM
Hi -

I took another look: Olympus was the trademark owner, but the guy who has applied for the trademark ownership is an IP lawyer at Kenyon & Kenyon, who has over 1400 trademarks associated with his name. In other words, I fear that this was misleading at best...

Bummer. Sorry. :-(

JohnF

David M
15th January 2012, 05:33 PM
Hi -

I took another look: Olympus was the trademark owner, but the guy who has applied for the trademark ownership is an IP lawyer at Kenyon & Kenyon, who has over 1400 trademarks associated with his name. In other words, I fear that this was misleading at best...

JohnF

Bugger, E-5 it is then.

Nick Temple-Fry
15th January 2012, 05:58 PM
Hi -

JohnF

I wouldn't discount it quite that quickly, there seems to be a flurry of registrations - see this one for Europe http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/ctm/olympus+om-d/010529444

The copyright lawyey seems to own/register a number of Olympus trademarks in the US market.

http://trademark.markify.com/trademarks/uspto/e-p1/77726281

From a position of ignorance one could speculate that Olympus are ensuring local ownership/rights in various market places.

Nick

wanderer
15th January 2012, 07:58 PM
I suppose if the Oly E-PL series owes its history to the Oly Pen this would make sense as somewhere to go up the market and pay homage to the OM series.
Now that could be very interesting.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th January 2012, 01:44 AM
A Full Frame Digital "Back" for the OMs would be nice... :D

Ross the fiddler
16th January 2012, 02:27 AM
A Full Frame Digital "Back" for the OMs would be nice... :D

Keep dreaming. :rolleyes: :D

Steve Lane
16th January 2012, 11:32 AM
Whatever this OMD turns out to be, I hope it re-introduces multi spot metering. It's unlikley that I will have spare camera 's this year, as I blew my budget before Christmas on a Leica X1, but I will be watching the development of this sytem very closely.

Greytop
16th January 2012, 04:17 PM
It's starting to look interesting if you believe the latest rumour (http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-a-16-megapixel-m43-sensor-for-the-new-digital-om-camera/)

StephenL
16th January 2012, 06:04 PM
If the new camera is half as good as the rumours I am seriously tempted to put my GH2 up for sale to start saving.

Greytop
16th January 2012, 06:30 PM
Sounds like it may be ticking a number of key boxes for me too :)

Zuiko
16th January 2012, 08:34 PM
It will be mildly interesting to see the camera that I might be using in, say, four years time but the real decision for me at the moment is do I stick with what I've got for the forseeable future (E-3 and E-P3) or do I sell E-3 and a few lenses so I can get a VF-2 and 45mm f1.8 for the E-P3. Also pondering where the new 12-50mm might fit into the equation. Upgrading bodies too often, particularly to newly released products priced at a premium, is a very expensive luxury.

Of one thing I'm certain. The first of a new line of cameras from Oly won't be the best. Subsequent models will improve on this as the line evolves. Think E-P1 from the Pen series.

pepper
16th January 2012, 09:29 PM
I like the fact that the link that Greytop has found for us, is that the photos are taken with a Nikon D200 :)

Greytop
16th January 2012, 11:39 PM
It will be mildly interesting to see the camera that I might be using in, say, four years time but the real decision for me at the moment is do I stick with what I've got for the forseeable future (E-3 and E-P3) or do I sell E-3 and a few lenses so I can get a VF-2 and 45mm f1.8 for the E-P3. Also pondering where the new 12-50mm might fit into the equation. Upgrading bodies too often, particularly to newly released products priced at a premium, is a very expensive luxury.

Of one thing I'm certain. The first of a new line of cameras from Oly won't be the best. Subsequent models will improve on this as the line evolves. Think E-P1 from the Pen series.

Wise words John, yes it does become an almost tail chasing exercise but particularly in this case I am hopeful (for Olympus as well as Olympus fans) that this new camera serves to reinvigorate 4/3rds whilst also serving m4/3rds.
Olympus needs a bit of good news :)

Graham_of_Rainham
16th January 2012, 11:53 PM
Whatever this OMD turns out to be, I hope it re-introduces multi spot metering. <snip>

Completely agree. The C8080WZ has MSM and it works just like the OM4Ti did. It makes high contrast lighting much easier to work out.

Combine it with a good built in HDR bracketing program and it would work really well. Take 5 spot readings, which are stored, then take the 5 shots and the sequence is saved as an HDR set ready for processing, or internally as a "filter"... *idea (Don't forget you heard it here first)

I wonder who will be first with real time exposure control (as was OTF exposure in the OMs) :cool:

StephenL
17th January 2012, 09:00 AM
.... so I can get a VF-2 and 45mm f1.8 for the E-P3.

The VF-2 turns a Pen into a camera. Simple as that.

And the 45mm is just a joy to use. As are most fixed focal-length lenses. They take the guesswork out of composition and turn it into a skill. Can't wait to master it. :D

David M
17th January 2012, 11:18 AM
And the 45mm is just a joy to use. As are most fixed focal-length lenses. They take the guesswork out of composition and turn it into a skill. Can't wait to master it. :D

That's why I'm putting together a small set of MF primes for my personal work, trying to get back to basics.

snaarman
17th January 2012, 11:40 AM
The VF-2 turns a Pen into a camera. Simple as that.

Yes, that gets my vote too...

Pete

Nova Invicta
17th January 2012, 02:55 PM
The VF-2 is really useful particularly when using a tripod but also in bright sun light when the rear screen is virtually useless.

Have used it on both the E-PL1 and the E-PM1.

JohnF
17th January 2012, 08:25 PM
Hi -

Well, the plot thickens:

http://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/registerHABM?AKZ=010529477&CURSOR=13

This German registration lists Olympus as the OWNER of the trademark, along with their legal representative in Germany.

:-)

Maybe we're in for a pleasant surprise in February after all. The year 2012 is the 40th anniversary of the introduction of the OM line, and given the success of the Pen rebirth, I'd dare say that this is looking goooooooooooooooooood. :-)

Greytop
17th January 2012, 10:05 PM
That rumour site comment list is hilarious, some people's imagination is simply beyond bounds :)

Ross the fiddler
17th January 2012, 10:50 PM
And then the dummy spitting starts when they're fantastical dreams don't come true or when the rumour specs are revealed. :D

Greytop
17th January 2012, 10:59 PM
And then the dummy spitting starts when they're fantastical dreams don't come true or when the rumour specs are revealed. :D

Exactly Ross, I was so so tempted to post a 'get a grip' comment there but I couldn't bring myself to do it :D

Nova Invicta
20th January 2012, 10:33 PM
When Olympus run a full page rear ad on Amateur photographer and state they will be at Focus 2012 (they were not there the last time) you know its no longer a rumour.

The OM-D looks like a dead cert.

Ross the fiddler
21st January 2012, 12:28 AM
Exactly Ross, I was so so tempted to post a 'get a grip' comment there but I couldn't bring myself to do it :D

Sorry, I am a bit slow sometimes, but are you having a shot at me for wishing for a battery grip for this camera? :eek: ;)

That's OK, but do you wear a different hat when you visit the rumour site?

Greytop
21st January 2012, 01:19 AM
Sorry, I am a bit slow sometimes, but are you having a shot at me for wishing for a battery grip for this camera? :eek: ;)

That's OK, but do you wear a different hat when you visit the rumour site?

He he, please don't give me any credit Ross, I wouldn't know a pun if it walked into me :D
No my statement was straight down the line no pun intended, I was just have a dig at all the fantasising on the Rumour site :) *chr

Bill Gordon
22nd January 2012, 09:37 PM
Quoted from another forum:

"For what it's worth, when I was at B&H looking at the Pen line on Tuesday, the Olympus rep was there holding court. He said that the camera division has been wholly insulated from the financial woes and has been carrying on as though nothing was different. He said that in February we'd see the new line of Micro43 cameras from Olympus. He said that the viewfinder technology was really something special, and unlike anything in competitor's products. Finally, he said that Olympus will be pushing hard with this camera to get the FourThirds shooters to come over, offering a free FourThirds to Micro43 adapter to existing E-series owners that purchase the new camera. Olympus clearly sees the digital OM line as the replacement for the E-series.
All to be taken with a shaker of salt, but that's what he was telling the folks at the Olympus booth at B&H, trying to speak so that customers couldn't hear.

Hmmm......this camera could be really great news for us....."

Greytop
22nd January 2012, 11:11 PM
Quoted from another forum:

"For what it's worth, when I was at B&H looking at the Pen line on Tuesday, the Olympus rep was there holding court. He said that the camera division has been wholly insulated from the financial woes and has been carrying on as though nothing was different. He said that in February we'd see the new line of Micro43 cameras from Olympus. He said that the viewfinder technology was really something special, and unlike anything in competitor's products. Finally, he said that Olympus will be pushing hard with this camera to get the FourThirds shooters to come over, offering a free FourThirds to Micro43 adapter to existing E-series owners that purchase the new camera. Olympus clearly sees the digital OM line as the replacement for the E-series.
All to be taken with a shaker of salt, but that's what he was telling the folks at the Olympus booth at B&H, trying to speak so that customers couldn't hear.

Hmmm......this camera could be really great news for us....."

Thanks Bill, that is very interesting.
The 8th isn't far away :)

Zuiko
22nd January 2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks Bill, that is very interesting.
The 8th isn't far away :)

Just so long as it's not the 8th of Never for all the super new improvements we're being led to expect! :D

Bill Gordon
22nd January 2012, 11:58 PM
Just so long as it's not the 8th of Never for all the super new improvements we're being led to expect! :D

Well John, you have to admit that this race for the next really great addition to the mu4/3rds mirror, less cameras etc is interesting. There is no limit to how far and quickly the various contenders for the ultimate will go. They are shortening the life span of the current models, inciting people to spend more money and create an atmosphere of gear collecting. I am still trying to get to grips with my present edition of Olympus and having a lot of fun at the same time....can't say that my results are any better although I was quite happy with my Nova Scotia trip this year. I am enjoying all the remarks at all the forums...as I am sure you are as well.

Zuiko
23rd January 2012, 12:21 AM
Well John, you have to admit that this race for the next really great addition to the mu4/3rds mirror, less cameras etc is interesting. There is no limit to how far and quickly the various contenders for the ultimate will go. They are shortening the life span of the current models, inciting people to spend more money and create an atmosphere of gear collecting. I am still trying to get to grips with my present edition of Olympus and having a lot of fun at the same time....can't say that my results are any better although I was quite happy with my Nova Scotia trip this year. I am enjoying all the remarks at all the forums...as I am sure you are as well.

Oh yes, the speculation and eager expectation are all part of the fun. I just hope some people don't take all that is rumoured as actual facts or there could be some disappointment. Whatever the final spec and form of the new camera I'm sure it will be fantastic, so long as we keep our expectations realistic!

Nick Temple-Fry
23rd January 2012, 12:41 AM
Oh yes, the speculation and eager expectation are all part of the fun. I just hope some people don't take all that is rumoured as actual facts or there could be some disappointment. Whatever the final spec and form of the new camera I'm sure it will be fantastic, so long as we keep our expectations realistic!

Just nice to see Olympus creating a buzz for all the right reasons.

I'm hopefull that they've brewed up something a bit special, but let's see what is delivered.

Nick

Scouser200
8th February 2012, 10:09 PM
The details for the new OM-D are out, the website is here, accessories include a The two-part HLD-6 battery grip and a Fl-600r flash!!

http://olympusomd.com/en-GB/

Looks a nice piece of kit

dubaibblu
9th February 2012, 06:20 PM
E-M5 means E- mini 5