PDA

View Full Version : vf2 vs vf3 viewfinder

dkayuk
15th January 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi all
I usually do everything with my E-5 except on the odd occasion when I use the EPL1, mostly street photography. However, I hate using the LCD, so thinking about buying either the vf2 or vf3 to use with it.

The vf2 is supposedly better but does not lock where as the vf3 locks but has lower resoluton.

Does anybody have any experience with both viewfinders?
Does the vf2 actually come off the accessory port easily? is there a solution (tape?)
And is the vf3 resolution that bad?

thx

DK

Sprocketdog23
15th January 2012, 11:54 AM
I was going to post a similar question, as really do feel I need either a VF2 or VF3 for my E-PM1, but really unsure as to which one to get, especially as I've seen the price of the VF2 online cheaper than the VF3..... attracted by it's higher resolution, but worried that I'll lose it as it can't be locked.

StephenL
15th January 2012, 12:28 PM
I have a VF-2, which has never fallen off. But I have put 2 layers of masking tape on the underside, which has made it a nice tight fit without being irremovable. Experiment with the number of layers, as there are variances.

Andrew Riddell
15th January 2012, 01:04 PM
I'd just add that you can get a wide eye-cup (EP-9) for the VF-2, but I don't think there's one for the VF-3. It makes a real difference (unless you wear glasses).

Andrew

Ulfric M Douglas
15th January 2012, 04:50 PM
Does the vf2 actually come off the accessory port easily?
Mine stays on, no tape. I guess their tightness varies.
I got a VF-2 after reading a good thread on DPReview where someone was using both, with sensible comments.
I bought a black VF-2 and I'm happy with it.

Greytop
15th January 2012, 06:51 PM
I'd just add that you can get a wide eye-cup (EP-9) for the VF-2, but I don't think there's one for the VF-3. It makes a real difference (unless you wear glasses).

Andrew

I too use the EP-9 with mine, highly recommended.

Mine stays on, no tape. I guess their tightness varies.
I got a VF-2 after reading a good thread on DPReview where someone was using both, with sensible comments.
I bought a black VF-2 and I'm happy with it.

Likewise :)

dkayuk
15th January 2012, 08:16 PM
thanks for all your replies, VF2 seems like the best option
DK

Stephen
26th January 2012, 09:23 PM
Does anyone know if you can use the Panasonic electronic view finders with the pen series as they are cheaper and more readly available as used.
Steve.

Andrew Riddell
26th January 2012, 09:26 PM
Does anyone know if you can use the Panasonic electronic view finders with the pen series as they are cheaper and more readly available as used.
Steve.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no, because the electrical connections are different.

Andrew

StephenL
26th January 2012, 09:29 PM
No, totally different animals with different physical and electronic connections. But you wouldn't want the original Panny one anyway. Compared to olympus, it's rubbish. I found it almost unusable.

Stephen
26th January 2012, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for a used VF 2/3
thanks again, Steve

Ian
27th January 2012, 12:55 PM
This might help:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/09/olympus_pen_vf3_electronic_viewfinder_reviewed.php

Ian

Static
27th January 2012, 01:04 PM
I use a VF2 on my XZ1 and have had no problems with it coming loose.

Stephen
27th January 2012, 04:36 PM
Thanks Ian, very useful
Steve.

jiyunjiyun
19th March 2012, 07:33 AM
my opinion is the VF3 looks nicer but the VF2 works better.
E-PL3 + VF3 + 12mm, look like a professional camera to me before the launch of E-M5