PDA

View Full Version : Notice of Exhibition

Zuiko
14th January 2012, 05:56 PM
There are now only three weeks until the start of my exhibition, The Light Fantastic, which will be held in Dunmow Art Gallery from 6th to 25th February. Here are copies of a couple of posters giving full details, which I am using to publicize the event.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/GALLERY_POSTER_webb1.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/EXHIBITION_POSTER_webb1.jpg

I will definitely be be present for the three Saturdays (11th, 18th and 25th of February) and as often as possible on weekdays, work committments permitting (I'm rather hoping I might have a job by then). If anyone is interested in attending I will be delighted to see you. :)

StephenL
14th January 2012, 06:33 PM
Best of luck with it. Wish I could visit.

Ulfric M Douglas
14th January 2012, 07:26 PM
I want to see a photo of you sitting there with a queue of print-buyers leading out the door.

Zuiko
14th January 2012, 07:58 PM
I want to see a photo of you sitting there with a queue of print-buyers leading out the door.

Haha! Not half as much as I do, Ulfric!

I'm not expecting many sales in view of the current economic climate, the fact that we've just had Christmas and everyone is broke, and my sobering experience running craft stalls last year.

I'll judge success by the number of visitors who walk through the door, if they leave with a picture under their arm (or "red spotted" on the gallery wall) that will be an unexpected bonus. :)

Chevvyf1
14th January 2012, 09:31 PM

Hear! Hear! *chr and I want to hear that your legs are worn out delivering the prints :) *chr

LMGruchy
14th January 2012, 09:35 PM
I'll try and get over one Saturday. Do you have a post code for the venue, please. (I don't have a satnav but check the place out on Google maps.)

And please bring this thread up the list again nearer the time; I have a rotten memory for dates.

Zuiko
14th January 2012, 10:01 PM
I'll try and get over one Saturday. Do you have a post code for the venue, please. (I don't have a satnav but check the place out on Google maps.)

And please bring this thread up the list again nearer the time; I have a rotten memory for dates.

Hi Linda, it would be nice to meeet you. :)

The post code is CM6 1AH - I'll post a map later.

pepper
14th January 2012, 10:41 PM
I'll see if I can get over, my jobs just changed and I'm back covering Essex and Kent again. So I "may" be able to wangle it!

Good luck though,

Janet
14th January 2012, 10:51 PM
Good luck with the exhibition John.

Janet

Zuiko
14th January 2012, 10:55 PM
I'll see if I can get over, my jobs just changed and I'm back covering Essex and Kent again. So I "may" be able to wangle it!

Good luck though,

It will be great if you can make it, see how it goes!

Zuiko
14th January 2012, 10:55 PM
Good luck with the exhibition John.

Janet

Thanks Janet.

andym
14th January 2012, 11:19 PM
John

Being a great admirer of your landscapes I'll try and get up for a nose.Not far for me.

Good luck with the exhibition and the prospective job.*yes*yes*yes

Zuiko
14th January 2012, 11:20 PM
John

Being a great admirer of your landscapes I'll try and get up for a nose.Not far for me.

Good luck with the exhibition and the prospective job.*yes*yes*yes

Thanks Andy.

PeterBirder
14th January 2012, 11:37 PM
Good luck with this John. I'll try and pop over as well.

Regards

Zuiko
15th January 2012, 12:42 AM
Good luck with this John. I'll try and pop over as well.

Regards

Thanks Peter, it'll be nice to see you again.

sponner
15th January 2012, 02:17 AM
good luck , wish I was closer

shirley
15th January 2012, 09:08 AM
I am hoping to be able to get over either on a Saturday or during half term week. I wish you every success, you deserve it.

Shirley

PS Hope the job hunting also goes well.

Danny
15th January 2012, 10:45 AM
Wishing you all the very best with it mate - mine is still ongoing, and if you get half the buzz I did out of doing this then you'll love it. Wish it was closer to me, but its a loooong way to go!

Keep us all posted on it, interested in feedback.

maccabeej
15th January 2012, 11:01 AM
John
Hope it goes well. I'll try to make it for one of the Saturdays. Best of luck on the jobfront.
Jim

meach
15th January 2012, 11:29 AM
Very best of luck with this John. I'd love to come along but it's just a bit too far.

Zuiko
15th January 2012, 02:42 PM
John
Hope it goes well. I'll try to make it for one of the Saturdays. Best of luck on the jobfront.
Jim

It would be nice to meet you again, Jim. :)

Zuiko
15th January 2012, 02:48 PM
Wishing you all the very best with it mate - mine is still ongoing, and if you get half the buzz I did out of doing this then you'll love it. Wish it was closer to me, but its a loooong way to go!

Keep us all posted on it, interested in feedback.

Yes, it is a long way, which is a shame because I'd love to visit your wildlife exhibition. I hope that's going well for you. :)

Zuiko
15th January 2012, 02:49 PM
I am hoping to be able to get over either on a Saturday or during half term week. I wish you every success, you deserve it.

Shirley

PS Hope the job hunting also goes well.

It'll be great to see you again if you can make it, Shirley.

Adagio
15th January 2012, 02:57 PM
John, I wish you all success with the venture, just regret that it is too far from the south coast for a day trip.

jamie allan
15th January 2012, 05:24 PM
John,
Good luck with both the exhibition and the prospective job. I'd like to see your exhibition as I really enjoy your landscape photography - pity it's too far from me.

IainMacD
15th January 2012, 05:52 PM
Ditto for me John, it is a long way to come, but I do hope it goes well.
Iain

Xpres
15th January 2012, 08:03 PM
I'll certainly come along and see it John. Are you having an 'opening' bash?

gregles
15th January 2012, 09:04 PM
All the best John:)

Wish I was closer too.

Greg

Chevvyf1
22nd January 2012, 01:12 PM
John, please will you email me the jpegs of your Art Exhibition as I shall post them on my Facebook :) this may generate a few more visitors for you :)

Perhaps you should post them on Facebook too :) and maybe others on here can post them on their Facebook ? to add "Marketing" Strength :D

It may also sell a couple of copies of your book :)

Janet
22nd January 2012, 01:48 PM
John, I'll be delighted to add your details on Google+ if you like?

The gallery have a good page about your exhibition...

http://www.dunmowartgallery.co.uk/next/

Janet

Chevvyf1
22nd January 2012, 03:22 PM
John, I'll be delighted to add your details on Google+ if you like?

The gallery have a good page about your exhibition...

http://www.dunmowartgallery.co.uk/next/

Janet

Janet thanks for this - I added it :)

Zuiko
31st January 2012, 01:57 AM
Getting close now! On Wednesday I'm in the gallery to see exactly how many pictures will fit, make the final choice and hang them ready for next Monday when the exhibition opens.

As stated, it runs from the 6th to 25th February, on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10.00am to 4.00pm. If all goes to plan (barring job interviews) I will be present in the gallery as follows:

Monday 6th All Day

Tuesday 7th All Day

Friday 10th All Day

Saturday 11th All Day

Monday 13th All Day

Tuesday 14th 10.00am to 1.00pm

Saturday 18th All Day

Monday 20th All Day

Tuesday 21st 10.00am to 1.00pm

Friday 24th 1.00pm to 4.00pm

Saturday 25th All Day

Car parks are located in Angel Lane, Chequers Lane, White Hart Way and (on Saturdays only) New Street.

Here is a link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=28%20high%20street%20dunmow) to a map of Dunmow. The Gallery is at No 28 High Street, in the premises of Wade & Davies Solicitors and not to be confused with the Aubrey Art Gallery further on.

PeterBirder
31st January 2012, 07:39 PM
Good luck with this John.

Hope to pop over on Friday 10th.

Regards*chr

Zuiko
31st January 2012, 07:41 PM
Good luck with this John.

Hope to pop over on Friday 10th.

Regards*chr

It'll be nice to see you Peter. :)

Adagio
5th February 2012, 10:13 AM
Good luck John. Shame it is so far away.

Zuiko
5th February 2012, 10:37 AM
Good luck John. Shame it is so far away.

Thanks David. I'm just about ready for it to open tomorrow. The pictures were hung and numbered last week and a catalogue prepared. Posters are up on community notice boards around town ind in some of the shops. The local paper published a write -up including one of my pictures last week and on Friday I delivered leaflets promoting the exhibition to every shop and business in the High Street. Several weeks ago I emailed details to 17 camera clubs in Essex and I'm using every excuse to mention it on various forums, so I think I've done as much as I can for publicity. I just hope the effort translates into footfall and that the snow doesn't deter potential visitors. :)

shirley
5th February 2012, 11:06 AM
You have certainly put a lot of effort into this, I really do wish you every success, both in terms of footfall.....and of course the bottom line. I am hoping to pop along next Saturday. Do keep us updated on how things are going.
Shirley

Zuiko
5th February 2012, 11:14 AM
You have certainly put a lot of effort into this, I really do wish you every success, both in terms of footfall.....and of course the bottom line. I am hoping to pop along next Saturday. Do keep us updated on how things are going.
Shirley

I'll look forward to seeing you Shirley, and I'm sure I will be plugging the exhibition reguarly on here for it's duration, not just for the regular members who all know about it by now but also for the many unregistered guests that visit this forum. :D

Chevvyf1
5th February 2012, 03:55 PM
John, there is the slightest of chances we may get over your way during your exhibition to visit (I shall bring my copy of "The Light Fantastic" - for advertising from the Car Park and at the Exhibition and in the Cafe we have coffee before and lunch after in !)

But my thoughts are with you all the time and I shall be looking forward to some good reports on here :) x hugs :D

Zuiko
5th February 2012, 04:33 PM
John, there is the slightest of chances we may get over your way during your exhibition to visit (I shall bring my copy of "The Light Fantastic" - for advertising from the Car Park and at the Exhibition and in the Cafe we have coffee before and lunch after in !)

But my thoughts are with you all the time and I shall be looking forward to some good reports on here :) x hugs :D

It will be great to meet you if you do make, Chevvy, but it is a long way! :)

jamie allan
5th February 2012, 07:29 PM
John,
I hope ( no I'm sure ) you'll have a successful exhibition. I'm in London on the weekend of 24-26th Feb to meet my daughter who is transiting from Sydney to Washington via Heathrow. Do you know if it is easy to get from central London to where you are via public transport?

Zuiko
5th February 2012, 09:49 PM
John,
I hope ( no I'm sure ) you'll have a successful exhibition. I'm in London on the weekend of 24-26th Feb to meet my daughter who is transiting from Sydney to Washington via Heathrow. Do you know if it is easy to get from central London to where you are via public transport?

Hi Jamie,

I would imagine the best option is train from Liverpool Street to Braintree and bus from Braintree to Great Dunmow, not entirely straightforward but then public transport seldom is. I'll be in the gallery on the Friday from 1.00 to 4.00pm and all day on the Saturday, which is the last day.

It would be great to meet you but the journey from London might be too awkward, it depends on the times you'll be meeting your daughter and your travel arrangements and from Glasgow. :)

gregles
5th February 2012, 09:54 PM
One more sleep:D

All the best John, really wish it was within travel distance.

Good luck fella*yes

Greg

Zuiko
6th February 2012, 07:52 PM
The exhibition opened today, but it was a rather inauspicious opening I'm afraid. Seven people came in. Two of those seven were my wife and daughter, so let's call it five. One of those five was bringing pictures in for the previous exhibition (thinking it was still on) and didn't look at mine, so let's call it four. One of those four barely made it through the door before remarking, in a rather disappointed tone, "Oh, they're all photographs." He beat a hasty retreat without looking, so let's call it three. One of those three admitted she was just killing time in the warm while waiting for her husband, but she did at least look.

One of the remaining two spent a long time studying each picture, making very favourable remarks. He even wrote a nice entry in my visitor's book and bought a ticket for the picture I am raffling. His parting comment was, "I'm going to get all my friends who think they are photographers to come and look at these," which was very complimentary. The last visitor of the day also spent a long time admiring the pictures and chatting with me. He bought a raffle ticket too, and two greeting cards at 1 each!

I'm sure that many would-be visitors were preoccupied by the snow and the town was noticeably quieter than usual but nevertheless I must confess to being a little disappointed. Still, there's a long way to go yet and it can only get better! :rolleyes:

shirley
7th February 2012, 07:47 PM
Any better today?

Zuiko
7th February 2012, 08:12 PM
Any better today?

Hi Shirley,

9 visitors, 3 of whom were friends! However one of my mates bought a 16x12 framed print priced at 60 and another nearly made a purchase too, but couldn't decide between two possibilities and wants to come back with his wife. He did buy 4 greeting cards, however. :)

The other 6 visitors were very complimentary but showed no signs of buying, although one is planning to return another day with her daughter, who is a keen photographer. One of the ladies really just wanted a chat, in fact she comes in most weeks just for a natter, but I don't mind that. The main thing is they all took time to really look at the pictures, which made me feel that the effort of putting the exhibition together was worthwhile. I just hope I get some greater numbers of visitors as the exhibition progresses. :)

Phill D
7th February 2012, 08:15 PM
I didn't like to ask as you hadn't posted yet John. But as Shirley did, how did it go?
I'm still hatching a plan to try and get down to see for myself if I can but it's still in the back of my mind at present. Haven't thought it out enough yet to propose it to the management!

shirley
7th February 2012, 08:20 PM
It's an upward trend, definitely a move in the right direction, I reckon by the weekend you will be overrun, don't sell all the pics before I get there, I want something to look at :D.

Zuiko
7th February 2012, 08:31 PM
I didn't like to ask as you hadn't posted yet John. But as Shirley did, how did it go?
I'm still hatching a plan to try and get down to see for myself if I can but it's still in the back of my mind at present. Haven't thought it out enough yet to propose it to the management!

It would be great to meet you, Phill, but I appreciate it's a long way to come and may require some rather delicate negotiations with the management! :D If you do make it I just hope it's not an anticlimax after comming all that way! :eek:

Adam Easton
7th February 2012, 08:34 PM
I must confess to being a little disappointed. Still, there's a long way to go yet and it can only get better! :rolleyes:

Chin up.;) Monday is a tuff day to open on. The good thing is you will be more relaxed by the end of the week as it gets busier.

Zuiko
7th February 2012, 08:37 PM
don't sell all the pics before I get there :D.

Chance would be a fine thing, I don't think you need worry about that! :D Any I do sell, I will encourage the purchaser to defer collection until the exhibition ends - it's always good for business if there are a few on display bearing the all-important red dot, somehow it seems to encourage others to make a purchase too! Today's sale is still on view for all to see. :)

sapper
8th February 2012, 04:54 PM
I will be bringing another three on Sat. Wife and two friends from Essex.

Ulfric M Douglas
8th February 2012, 07:23 PM
The exhibition opened today, but it was a rather inauspicious opening I'm afraid. Seven people came in. Two of those seven were my wife and daughter, so let's call it five. One of those five was bringing pictures in for the previous exhibition (thinking it was still on) and didn't look at mine, so let's call it four. One of those four barely made it through the door before remarking, in a rather disappointed tone, "Oh, they're all photographs." He beat a hasty retreat without looking, so let's call it three. One of those three admitted she was just killing time in the warm while waiting for her husband, but she did at least look. ...
OK, that sounds absolutely terrible. Sympathy! Sympathy!
Where is this place situated? I'm puzzled as to how an exhibition (of anything) can attract so few bodies through the door ..

Post a picture of the door perhaps?

Good luck for Thursday and onwards! *chr

Chevvyf1
8th February 2012, 09:11 PM
Where is this place situated? I'm puzzled as to how an exhibition (of anything) can attract so few bodies through the door ..

Because I have an interest in the Arts I enjoy our email from Hampshire County Council about Exhibitions in our Galleries - 2 weeks ago I went to the Willis at Basingstoke, Hampshire to visit "the Viola Environmentele Photography Exhibition" an International Photography exhibition which travels the UK - I went on the Friday and TWO PEOPLE had been in before me (it opened at 9am and I arrived at 11 am :( ) ... It was a truly magnificant Exhibition, I really enjoyed it and saw 6 or 7 others visiting.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/willis-museum/whatson-willis-museum.htm

John, your doing ok ! ... glad to hear of SALES * MAGIC * would it be a good idea to deliver to Secondary Schools; Colleges and old folks homes "Flyers@ with invites" ... come see our Landscape, in the warmth of the Dunmow Gallery ... your all set up, just need lots more PUNTERS in ! ...

Zuiko
8th February 2012, 09:45 PM
I will be bringing another three on Sat. Wife and two friends from Essex.

Look forward to seeing you, Dave. :)

Zuiko
8th February 2012, 09:49 PM

Thanks Ulfric. I'm sure the weather hasn't helped but hopefully, if we don't have another snowfall, numbers will improve on Friday and Saturday. :)

Zuiko
8th February 2012, 10:12 PM
Because I have an interest in the Art I enjoy our email from Hampshire County Council about Exhibitions in our Galleries - 2 weeks ago I went to the Willis at Basingstoke, Hampshire to visit "the Viola Environmentele Photography Exhibition" an International Photography exhibition which travels the UK - I went on the Friday and TWO PEOPLE had been in before me (it opened at 9am and I arrived at 11 am :( ) ... It was a truly magnificant Exhibition, I really enjoyed it and saw 6 or 7 others visiting.

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/willis-museum/whatson-willis-museum.htm

John, your doing ok ! ... glad to hear of SALES * MAGIC * would it be a good idea to deliver to Secondary Schools; Colleges and old folks homes "Flyers@ with invites" ... come see our Landscape, in the warmth of the Dunmow Gallery ... your all set up, just need lots more PUNTERS in ! ...

Thanks Chevvy. I've got limited time for promotional work now the exhibition has started, but I've already distributed leaflets to all the shops and businesses in the High Street offering a 20% discount to their staff. Posters are also on display at car park notice boards, the library, a newsagent's window, inside the photography shop, the butchers, the Co-Op, Tesco's (I think - must check on that) and at one of the local schools. I've emailed details and a poster to 17 camera clubs in the surrounding area and had the exhibition featured in the local paper and briefly mentioned in Outdoor Photography, so there's been a fair amount of publicity already. However, if people aren't interested no amount of publicity will change that! To be fair, most people lead busy lives and many won't get the chance to come in before the weekend. It will be interesting to see what happens on Saturday. :)

Ian
9th February 2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks Ulfric. I'm sure the weather hasn't helped but hopefully, if we don't have another snowfall, numbers will improve on Friday and Saturday. :)

Fresh snow forecast for tonight - but you're a fair bit further east so you may escape it. I think Hemel will get it though.

Ian

sapper
11th February 2012, 05:14 PM
Good to see your pics "in the flesh" John. And good to meet with you too.

Zuiko
11th February 2012, 05:18 PM
Good to see your pics "in the flesh" John. And good to meet with you too.

Thanks Dave, it was good to meet you too, plus Christine, Sandra and the other Dave. It really is appreciated you coming all the way from Kent to visit. :)

Zuiko
11th February 2012, 05:24 PM
It's been a good day at the exhibition, I think. 22 visitors, making a total of 56 for the first week, 5 more comments in the visitor's book, another picture sold along with 14 raffel tickets and 18 cards and, most important, some really nice conversations with like-minded people. :)

Chevvyf1
11th February 2012, 05:29 PM
It's been a good day at the exhibition, I think. 22 visitors, making a total of 56 for the first week, 5 more comments in the visitor's book, another picture sold along with 14 raffel tickets and 18 cards and, most important, some really nice conversations with like-minded people. :)

Well John Life is first about enjoying it and, making the most of each day - so your doing quite well :eek: lets hope words spreads and the weather gets warmer and they come thro the door in 5 and 10's :D

Zuiko
14th February 2012, 12:43 AM
The exhibition turned into a sort of Forum mini-meet today (or should that be yesterday as it's now past midnight?) with Barrie and Anne arriving just before Peter(Birder) and Sandra. In the afternoon Tudor (Xpress) paid a visit. Nice to see you guys, thanks for coming. :)

Other visitors included a couple from Braintree who had seen the exhibition mentioned in Outdoor Photography and a chap from Ingatestone who had driven up to Dunmow for the day just to see what was here. Eleven visitors in total today, which is better than the five I had last Monday. :)

Chevvyf1
14th February 2012, 09:43 AM
John, how wonderful that these E-Oly people have travelled far and wide to visit you and your exhibition *yes and more unknown visitors too :D

We have been snow/ice bound last weekend *yes

Zuiko
14th February 2012, 03:17 PM
I was at the exhibition this morning but have the rest of this week off due to other committments. I'll be back all day Saturday and then next week on Monday (all day), Tuesday (10am - 1.00pm), Friday (1.00pm to 4.00pm) and finally Saturday 25th, the last day (all day).

I had 9 visitors this morning, all of whom were very interested and we had some really good conversations, which makes the exhibition seem worthwhile. As an aside, I sold 15 worth of cards and raffle tickets. The cards are selling far better than they ever did at the craft fairs, albeit at a reduced price.

Ann1e
14th February 2012, 04:11 PM
The exhibition turned into a sort of Forum mini-meet today (or should that be yesterday as it's now past midnight?) with Barrie and Anne arriving just before Peter(Birder) and Sandra. In the afternoon Tudor (Xpress) paid a visit. Nice to see you guys, thanks for coming. :)

Other visitors included a couple from Braintree who had seen the exhibition mentioned in Outdoor Photography and a chap from Ingatestone who had driven up to Dunmow for the day just to see what was here. Eleven visitors in total today, which is better than the five I had last Monday. :)

Barrie and I were pleased to catch up with you yesterday, John, and it was good to meet with Peter and Sandra. Congratulations on your set-up - it is obvious you have put a lot of thought and hard work into your effort.

Glad to hear that numbers are increasing steadily (and sales!) as time progresses - at this rate you may need back-up staff to man the order book!

Good luck for the remaining days of the exhibition.

Regards,
Ann1e

PeterBirder
14th February 2012, 09:37 PM
Barrie and I were pleased to catch up with you yesterday, John, and it was good to meet with Peter and Sandra. Congratulations on your set-up - it is obvious you have put a lot of thought and hard work into your effort.

Glad to hear that numbers are increasing steadily (and sales!) as time progresses - at this rate you may need back-up staff to man the order book!

Good luck for the remaining days of the exhibition.

Regards,
Ann1e

My sentiments exactly Ann1e.
An excellent exhibition and an unexpected bonus meeting you and Barrie!

Regards

Zuiko
15th February 2012, 07:34 PM
Please note that there will be restricted opening hours at the gallery tomorrow, Thursday 16th, due to the arranged sitter not being able to attend. I was not due to be present myself, but I have managed to partly rearrange my plans so that hopefully I can be there to open from about 1.30pm onwards. It does seem that the gallery will remain closed in the morning, though.

Phill D
18th February 2012, 07:24 AM
John I hope the exhibition is going well. I'm sorry to say that my plans to get to visit just don't seem to be coming together so I'm afraid it's very unlikely I'll make it now. I was wondering if you would be able to post a few images of the gallery and exhibition for those of us who can only be with you in spirit.

shirley
18th February 2012, 05:14 PM
I visited the exhibition today and it was well worth the trip. A fabulous show case for your talents John. If you are considering a trip do not miss it.
For those who cannot make it or live too far away here are a few pics.

The man himself.
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/John_Perriment2.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Exhibition_3.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Exhibition_2.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Exhibition.jpg

I may have a few more once I get round to looking at them.
Thanks John for a very enjoyable visit.

andym
18th February 2012, 05:19 PM
Looks good.

John, I'm really hoping to get there this week.Up till now things haven't panned out like I hoped.

Zuiko
18th February 2012, 05:47 PM
It was great to see Shirley, Jim and Andrew at my exhibition today. It was another good day with 18 visitors, bringing the total so far to 127. Also made another 91.00 of sales, which will go a long way towards helping cover the cost of the exhibition. :)

Chevvyf1
18th February 2012, 06:46 PM
John, good to hear this positive news ! *chr

Shirley, huge Thank You's for the Photos ... I feel as if I have been there now, enjoying your photos very much *chr

Phill D
19th February 2012, 06:42 AM
Yes a big thank you from me too Shirley that's just what I was looking for. Looks like you've done a thoroughly professional job John as expected, well done. Hope it works out to be a financial success too.

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 12:06 PM
Yes a big thank you from me too Shirley that's just what I was looking for. Looks like you've done a thoroughly professional job John as expected, well done. Hope it works out to be a financial success too.

Thanks Phill, and thanks to Shirley for taking the pictures. :)

Benedict
19th February 2012, 04:55 PM
John - I am sorry but it is too far for me to travel to your exhibition. I do like your work and so I hope it all goes well for you in the meantime.

Zuiko
19th February 2012, 05:07 PM
John - I am sorry but it is too far for me to travel to your exhibition. I do like your work and so I hope it all goes well for you in the meantime.

Thanks Phil, I wouldn't expect you to travel from Wales! :)

Benedict
19th February 2012, 05:18 PM
John - there was a time I would travel any distance to see the work of people I admire. :) :)

Ian Grego
21st February 2012, 04:59 AM
John,

I am hoping to call in today around a work visit to Ilford. So it would be great to say hello. Lets hope my plan works
Ian

Zuiko
22nd February 2012, 01:12 AM
Glad you made it Ian, it was nice to see you. :)

I was just in for the morning today and it was pretty quite with just three visitors including Ian. I did sell 9 worth of cards, though, and yesterday sold another framed print (well, put one on reserve). That's five so far, which compares very favourably to what is normally sold at this gallery. :)

A looooong way to go before I break even, though.

Ian
25th February 2012, 11:31 AM
Am going this afternoon - it's the last day today!

Ian

shirley
27th February 2012, 07:38 AM
So John, How did the last few days go?
Been thinking of you over the last week. Take care, you know where we are if there is anything we can do. Do not be afraid to ask, remember no question is ever a silly question :D

Zuiko
28th February 2012, 02:27 PM
Well, it's now all done and dusted. I took the pictures down yesterday, moved some of them to the upstairs landing in the gallery where they will remain on display for a few weeks and brought home 8 that are going to a new gallery.

The exhibition had 178 visitors, which I am told is the highest number for over 2 years. I sold 5 framed prints, 5 unframed prints, 59 cards and 55 raffle tickets. Total sales 392.50, of which I will get 274.75 after commission. This will help offset printing and framing costs of approximately 600. More important, I met some lovely people including many from this site and had some great conversations.

Thank you all for the interest you have shown. :)

Benedict
28th February 2012, 02:38 PM
OUCH John - that hurt, Income = 274 Costs = 600 Loss = 326

That's the Accountant in me coming out. As we all know sometimes we just don't do it for the money. Oh hell I think I need to go lie down !:):)

Chevvyf1
28th February 2012, 04:07 PM
Well, I think it was a pretty GREAT result John :) now you have to get the rest of the framed prints sold ... so as to balance the books and make the big profits ! whaT ABOUT OFFERING TO DO A TALK ON lANDSCAPES AT THE lOCAL gARDENING CLUBS ? ... A FRIEND OF MINE DOES WELL AT THEVE EVENINGS :) around Salisbury & Winchester ...

sorry caps accident

LMGruchy
28th February 2012, 04:15 PM
I really, really regret not making it. I had my novel on promotion and that meant flirting over the internet.

I think the talks idea is a cracking good one John. The RHS at Hyde Hall run workshops so maybe you could find a local Yellow Book garden which would be happy to host a workshop for a donation.

Zuiko
28th February 2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks Benedict and Chevvy, the exhibition was always an act of pure self-indulgence and I never expected to make a profit, but it was nice to claw back some of the cost! I will display the remaining pictures in galleries and exhibitions when opportunities arise, but I cannot see myself lugging them around to give talks to clubs, etc. :)

Zuiko
28th February 2012, 04:27 PM
I really, really regret not making it. I had my novel on promotion and that meant flirting over the internet.

I think the talks idea is a cracking good one John. The RHS at Hyde Hall run workshops so maybe you could find a local Yellow Book garden which would be happy to host a workshop for a donation.

Hi Linda, sometimes it's just not possible to fit in everything you want to do, believe me I know! It's great that you have been so busy with your novel and I'm really pleased to see that it's been going so well. :)

StephenL
28th February 2012, 06:22 PM
I'm chuufed for you that it went so well. Your book arrives tomorrow and, because I've seen excerpts, I'm really looking forward to being inspired out of my photographer's block by it.

Zuiko
28th February 2012, 08:05 PM
I'm chuufed for you that it went so well. Your book arrives tomorrow and, because I've seen excerpts, I'm really looking forward to being inspired out of my photographer's block by it.

Another one with photographer's block, it must be catching! :rolleyes:

Thanks for buying the book. :)

Phill D
28th February 2012, 08:34 PM
Yes I too regret I wasn't able to get to see the exhibition John. It sounds like it went really well even though the financial maths didn't add up.

I seem to get photographers block quite often. It's odd as I seem to know its happening and the way I get round it is just to go out and shoot even though I think its going to be rubbish. Then when I eventually start to turn out some better better than expected shots I know I'm getting over it and I start getting enthusistic again. Sort of self regulating I suppose.