PDA

View Full Version : Battery Recharge frequency?

Happammee
7th January 2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Folks

Having stocked up on Olympus bodies (E-420, E-520, E-600 & E-30) to keep me going in to the future (depending on what happens with Olympus). I still feel that we are very much dependent on how long the BLS-1 and BLM-1 batteries are available, whether Olympus originals or replacements from various manufacturers.

I have all "original" supplied batteries for the cameras & a number of after market ones, but I am trying to work out the best frequency to recharge them so that they last the longest.

At best, I get to take photos with ONE of the cameras on one occasion each week or every two weeks.

About once per month, I swap the "unused" batteries in to all the cameras and then charge the ones that were in them.

What do you think, is this going to keep everything running longer term, or am I just charging unecessarily? When I just had my E-520 with one spare, I forgot to charge the aftermarket spare one time for about 3-4 months. When I tried to re-charge it, it wouldn't accept the charge and I had to recycle it.

Any thoughts welcome

Colin

Wreckdiver
7th January 2012, 06:46 PM
I have 8 genuine BLM-1 batteries and I cycle through them trying to give them an equal amount of usage. My oldest battery is from 2004 and still gives excellent performance. They are Lithium Iron batteries, so don't suffer from memory effects like NiCads do. I would suggest you don't let them discharge completely but keep them topped up.

I would imagine that there will be third party batteries around for a very long time should Olympus ever stop supplying them. I would think you would move on to a new system/brand with newer technology long before your existing Olympus system finally dies. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just enjoy the kit you have and get the best use out of it now. Nothing lasts for ever.

Steve