PDA

View Full Version : Got One on Order

Sprocketdog23
5th January 2012, 09:34 PM
Had a clearout of kit I don't use much, and raised the necessary fundage for one of these, in Brown. Looking forward to bringing another Olympus home next week some time when it arrives.

Crippledsandwich
6th January 2012, 06:33 AM
Well I'm sure you won't be disappointed, I love mine. So easy to use and small and light.

Greytop
6th January 2012, 08:44 AM
Congratulations, a nice review of your very camera here (http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olympus_E-PM1/) :)

Ulfric M Douglas
6th January 2012, 04:49 PM
Brown, good choice. I'm hoping to own one soon too ... :)

Sprocketdog23
6th January 2012, 05:56 PM
I wanted the 'desert camo' colour scheme, but they don't do that one, so brown will have to do. Thanks for the comments & links to reviews.

Sadly, had to let my E-1 go, alongside a couple of compacts to raise the necessary funds, but it wil join the rest of my Olympus family, which consists of an E-620 and an E-P1. :)

Greytop
6th January 2012, 06:03 PM
How are you getting on with the new K-5?
I can understand the temptation have gone that route myself in the past and it's certainly at an amazing price level at the moment.
I still frequent the Pentax forums on occasion to keep up with the gossip ;)

Sprocketdog23
6th January 2012, 07:38 PM
How are you getting on with the new K-5?
I can understand the temptation have gone that route myself in the past and it's certainly at an amazing price level at the moment.
I still frequent the Pentax forums on occasion to keep up with the gossip ;)

It's very nice, really it was a replacement for my Nikon F100 as well as my Oly E-1, as I needed something weatherproof for Wildlife photography. I'm not convinced that it is anywhere near as user friendly as my Olympus DSLR gear though, but I am getting to know it bit by bit, and beginning to understand how to pull some results from it, especially in low light. I guess I have got so used to the Olympus 'super menu' on my E-620 & E-P1 that the Pentax K-5 does seem a bit fiddly to set up quickly, unless I just stick to RAW, but it has a heck of a JPG image engine when fiddled with, and is remarkably configurable. Also, at it's current price it's a massive shot across the bows of all other DSLR camera makers in it's class.

Greytop
6th January 2012, 07:53 PM
Nice gear yes I agree, I had the K-7 and the K20D before that, both quality bits of kit.
If you are going for weather proof know doubt you'll be looking at the DA*300 f/4 for wildlife work, currently the longest focal length quality weather and dust proof optic they do.

Sprocketdog23
6th January 2012, 08:27 PM
That one is a bit out of my price range currently, so I am using an old Cosina 300mm f5.6. It's cheap and cheerful, but a sturdy old thing, manual focus which I'm fine with, but very rubberised and bashproof, and seems to forgive in all weathers. I'm getting pretty acceptable results in good light from it. I'm going to have to get the Pentax K to Olympus 4/3 adapter and use it on my E-620 as well. I have a 500mm mirror lens which I have used on my E-P1 for some moon shots http://wideangle.aminus3.com/image/2010-12-22.html but it's a bit cumbersome for general wildlife image making, so the Cosina would probably be a better option.

Zuiko
6th January 2012, 09:43 PM
Brown, good choice. I'm hoping to own one soon too ... :)

Ah yes, I believe Olympus owe you some kit......... :D

Enjoy, it is well deserved! :)

Greytop
6th January 2012, 10:37 PM
Ah yes, I believe Olympus owe you some kit......... :D

Enjoy, it is well deserved! :)

Yes of course, congratulations Ulfric that was a fantastic image :)
I have to agree regarding the colour too, the E-PM1 looks good in brown.

Sprocketdog23
14th January 2012, 11:37 AM
Mine arrived a couple of days back, and has already seen a fair bit of use. First impressions.... AF is very fast and much improved on the E-P1, the lack of function buttons which I thought might be an issue really isn't one, as the SCP once enabled means it's as quick to change the setup as the E-P1. Another pleasant surprise was that I could change the functions of the 4-way switch to the ones I need, a useful feature. Will definitely fit in my pocket once I've saved up for the 14mm Panasonic. The kit lens is better built than the one on my E-P1. It's very nice in Brown (more bronze to my eyes), but the supplied strap is awful, and it would be better with a decent quick release wrist strap.

Going to continue to use every day, and then decide in a couple weeks whether to now sell my old E-P1, and get the 14mm lens & a VF-3.

edit note..... just been out and about and realised just how much more processing power it has in comparison to the E-P1. I was shooting my preferred option which is RAW+JPG Fine, and using all manner of Aspect Ratio settings and Art Filters. There is very minimal delay on the write speed to a lowly Class 4 SDHC card, and the Art Filters are processed really fast now, which was a major drawback on the E-P1. It took me by surprise, and had to check that I was shooting at full resolution and that RAW+JPG was on.

Sprocketdog23
14th January 2012, 02:04 PM
Unedited JPG from E-PM1 (except for re-size in order to post here), this was with the Dramatic Tone Art Filter. Interestingly, I shot RAW+JPG and brought the RAW into Viewer 2, fiddled with the RAW file for half an hour, and then applied the Dramatic Tone filter in the software, and found I had an almost identical result to the in-camera one. Olympus engineers got this Art Filter spot on.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/sprocketdog23/dramwood01.jpg

Ulfric M Douglas
14th January 2012, 08:12 PM
Woa, that's a nice picture.
I heard the new cameras could 'bracket' the art-filters : i.e. three different results from one exposure. Is this true in your (now officially bronze) e-pM1?

Sprocketdog23
15th January 2012, 12:36 AM
Yes, that is supposed to be true, but I haven't yet tried it. I think B&W grainy film mixed with Pinhole would be a good starting point.

Here are more, from my visit to Dovedale at sunset earlier today (Saturday). Again I used Dramatic Tone, and these are the resized E-PM1 Jpg's

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/sprocketdog23/dovedale01a.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/sprocketdog23/dovedale02a.jpg

Ulfric M Douglas
15th January 2012, 11:12 AM
These landscape/sky pictures suffer badly from the art filter's over-the-top haloing and colour messing, whereas the trees came out so much better.
Very valuable information Sprocket.

Sprocketdog23
15th January 2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, the best light for this art filter is a narrow EV with low contrast. When the light is pretty even, it seems to work, but you get very obvious halo's and distinctive banding in bright sunlight. I have discovered that it's best to expose for the shadowy side of the mid range with AE lock, and keep away from exposing for the highlights. I have a lot more experimentation to do yet though, my success rate with the filter is probably about 10%. Also, in the two I posted the banding is exaggerated somewhat by the jpg compression (in order to reduce file size for posting). The high res originals are better, but not goods enough to print at anything above postcard size...

Sprocketdog23
17th January 2012, 10:39 PM
This morning I was using the E-PM1 in moderately low temperatures (a few degrees below freezing I think) here at Sawley by the River Trent, and took about 30 images during the half hour or so on my way to the railway station. However, on the train into work, when I was looking through the images I had just taken, the red low battery indicator was flashing, which surprised me as I started with a fair bit of charge in the battery. By mid morning, after the camera & battery had warmed up, the battery seemed to have recovered its charge. Iv'e taken images in much lower temperatures for much longer with my E-P1, and never had any problems, so either the new batteries in the E-PM1 are less tolerant at temperatures below freezing, or it was a lot colder than I thought it was.

Anyway, it was a beautiful morning, and there were some lovely frozen reeds to photograph as the sun rose.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/sprocketdog23/reedy.jpg

Kiwi Paul
18th January 2012, 12:19 PM
Nice shot.

You will find the battery will hold it charge better after a couple of discharge/ recharge cycles so wait and see.

Paul

Ulfric M Douglas
19th January 2012, 03:40 PM
Maybe the battery is closer to the metal skin in the thinner e-pM1 ... and so gets nithered more by the chilly winds.

Sprocketdog23
19th January 2012, 05:57 PM
Its been impossible to recreate the issue (if there was one!), as its gone warmer again for last two days. Someone told me it was -6C when they drove through Sawley the other morning, so maybe I was too excited by the sunny frosty conditions to realise it was that cold. The battery has gone on to take another 100+ shots before needing recharging, so it must have been an issue with it getting cold. Not ever checked to see what Olympus battery & camera combinations are rated to in terms of low temperatures. I know Pentax market my K-5 DSLR to work as normal down to -10C, but I used my trusted E-P1 last year when we went through that deep freeze when the thermometer read -14C, which is currently the coldest I have personally ever felt. My brother took his P&S (not sure what it is) to Siberia when he was working there and took images in -30C although his fingers kept sticking to the camera.... so he said

Ulfric M Douglas
14th February 2012, 11:18 AM
Got one!
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4137/epm1lensesfeb2012.jpg
This body is taking over from my e-pL1 as my main camera. I now have a quick 40-150 zoom too.