PDA

View Full Version : SWD observations

David Morison
4th January 2012, 04:27 PM
Just been trying out my new 50-200mm SWD (from Kerso thanks) and comparing the speed and accuracy of focussing with my Leica 14-150mm. The first impression comparing both lenses at 150mm is that the SWD is noticeably slower and less accurate in poor light(even with flash strobe), indulging in a fair degree of hunting at near to focus point. This is with the swd at f2.8 and the Leica at f3.5.

Trying out the SWD on a bird in a bush it was difficult to achieve consistently accurate focus even at max aperture whereas the SHG 300mm has generally less difficulty even at f8. This is at roughly minimum focus of both lenses which is roughly the same subject magnification factor.

Is it just me being unskilled with a new lens or something that is a characteristic of this lens or indeed SWD?

Nevertheless I am very pleased wit my new toy as once focussed the IQ of this lens is superb and when used with EC14 is also spot-on.

David

Greytop
6th January 2012, 04:33 PM
David, my experience I can only compare with the 12-60 SWD and it is a bit slower at locking compared to that lens but generally I find it pretty zippy. Even with the EC-14 or 20 it's plenty quick enough (for me) in duller conditions.
As another comparison, my old Pentax DA*60-250 (http://www.pentax.co.uk/en/group/14/product/21750/body/overview/Photo-Lenses.html) together with the K-7 body was much slower than the E-5 + ZD 50-200mm SWD combination, not that it has too much relevance to your question but it just qualifies that the 50-200 SWD should be reasonably zippy.

Bikie John
6th January 2012, 04:50 PM
I use the SWD for rugby now (thanks to Rawcoll), usually with the EC-14 and mostly at the long end, and I find focus is pretty zippy. It can sometimes struggle to follow a fast-moving subject (not that they move that fast in tier 6 rugby!). It's hard to be precise but I think it is a considerable improvement on the non-SWD version.

Ciao ... John