PDA

View Full Version : Samyang 500mm ST Preset f/8.0 Lens

Olybirder
4th January 2012, 02:57 PM
I was looking at the well known auction site (something which I do not often do) and I came across a company called Infoto advertising new Samyang 500mm ST Preset f/8.0 telephoto lenses for 110. I know nothing about this lens but it looks quite intriguing. Metal cased and manual focusing, it appears to come with a 4/3 adapter and has a three year warranty. According to the Samyang website it is a discontinued product. I assume that it must be rubbish at price but I wondered if anybody knows any more about it?

Ron

Greytop
4th January 2012, 05:15 PM
I suspect it will be a mirror lens with a fixed f/8 aperture, optically probably not up to much I'm afraid.

Olybirder
4th January 2012, 05:22 PM
It doesn't say anything about it being a mirror lens, unlike the other Samyang ones, and the aperture is f/8.0 - f/32.0, so not fixed. I suspect that you are right about the optical quality though, Huw.

Ron

BobS
4th January 2012, 05:22 PM
I suspect it will be a mirror lens with a fixed f/8 aperture, optically probably not up to much I'm afraid.

I think they also do a "straight" telephoto 500mm f/8, 5 elements in 4 groups and it's over 300mm long. Can't find any reviews of it though.

Olybirder
4th January 2012, 05:28 PM
I assume I am not allowed to post a link to an Ebay seller?

Ron

Greytop
4th January 2012, 05:33 PM
It doesn't say anything about it being a mirror lens, unlike the other Samyang ones, and the aperture is f/8.0 - f/32.0, so not fixed. I suspect that you are right about the optical quality though, Huw.

Ron

Ah OK my mistake, I didn't investigate :o
but yes (as you suggest) I wouldn't expect much for 500mm and 110 :)

BobS
4th January 2012, 05:56 PM
I have a similar one bought many years ago, 400mm preset f/8 and upwards, Soligor, it's big, it's bulky and unusable without a tripod. I think I've taken no more than 6 or 7 shots with it in over 30 years! I only keep it because, well, can't think of a reason!:D

David M
5th January 2012, 11:45 AM
It looks like a lens that's been around for decades under various brands.

I borrowed one to test out of interest sometimes in the late 80's, branded as Panagor or Photax (or something beginning with P) if I remember correctly. The sample I tested wasn't very sharp and had very low contrast. It didn't improve much with stopping down but starting at f/8 you can't really afford to stop down anyway.

According to the Samyang web site the ED version is discontinued, the standard version isn't;

http://www.samyang.pl/index.php/en/samyang-500-mm-f8-preset-if-mc

BobS
5th January 2012, 01:48 PM
If it's anything like the one I have, you have to open it to maximum aperture to get enough light to focus by, then stop it down to the aperture you've preset. If you are trying to shoot anything that moves, forget it!

Olybirder
5th January 2012, 02:41 PM
I think you have convinced me to keep the 110 in my back pocket. I just need to save up the extra 5700 or so for the Zuiko 300 1:2.8. ;)

Ron

David M
5th January 2012, 11:02 PM
I think you have convinced me to keep the 110 in my back pocket. I just need to save up the extra 5700 or so for the Zuiko 300 1:2.8. ;)

Ron

There's plenty of fast legacy glass out there for a lot less than that. Andy Elliot on 4/3 user found an OM Zuiko 350mm f/2.8 for around 600 if I remember correctly. And I seem to remember someone on another 4/3 forum picking up a Nikkor 400mm f/3.5 for $700.

If you can find one there was an EBC Fujinon 600mm f/5.6, I paid 300 for my copy which meant it soon paid for itself and I later sold it for 500 after getting a Nikkor 600mm f/5.6 converted to OM mount.