PDA

View Full Version : hot shoe spirit level

Jerry P
30th December 2011, 12:56 PM
I've only had my e-pl1 for just over a week ,although i'm very pleased with the results i'm getting, i tend to take wonky images,

Janet suggested i try a spitit level that fits into the hot shoe, question is ,are they all the same size ? ,there's plenty on eBay,but i need to be sure of getting the right one.

thanks

Jerry

David M
30th December 2011, 01:09 PM
Unless the ad says Minolta/Sony fit they should all be a standard size.

Some will be more accurate than others but I've yet to find one that's accurate enough for landscape use.

Nick Temple-Fry
30th December 2011, 01:34 PM
I've only had my e-pl1 for just over a week ,although i'm very pleased with the results i'm getting, i tend to take wonky images,

Janet suggested i try a spitit level that fits into the hot shoe, question is ,are they all the same size ? ,there's plenty on eBay,but i need to be sure of getting the right one.

thanks

Jerry

Never found a spirit level that good for hand held shots, they are really meant for tripod use.

With my e-pl1, I tend to use the info button to overlay a grid onto the screen (it's an option in the menu), or use the histogram display which I often have running at the bottom of the screen as it has square edges.

Nick

Jerry P
30th December 2011, 03:06 PM
thanks for the above posts , but i can't seem to get a grid on my screen ?, i've been trying for the last 1/2 hour ,i normally use it in iAuto ,i don't know if that makes a difference ,the only grid i can find is the AF target.

Nick Temple-Fry
30th December 2011, 03:13 PM
thanks for the above posts , but i can't seem to get a grid on my screen ?, i've been trying for the last 1/2 hour ,i normally use it in iAuto ,i don't know if that makes a difference ,the only grid i can find is the AF target.

Ah - Menu - Little cogwheels - *D Disp..., info setting, LV info, Displayed Grid = On

Nick

Jerry P
30th December 2011, 03:56 PM
Ah - Menu - Little cogwheels - *D Disp..., info setting, LV info, Displayed Grid = On

Nick

sorry about this Nick ,ok ,i can get all the way to the "displayed grid" ,then i have the 5 choices ,but i cant get them to appear on the screen even after pressing the ok/start button.

Jerry

Nick Temple-Fry
30th December 2011, 04:06 PM
sorry about this Nick ,ok ,i can get all the way to the "displayed grid" ,then i have the 5 choices ,but i cant get them to appear on the screen even after pressing the ok/start button.

Jerry

Are you toggling between views by pressing the info button?

Nick

Jerry P
30th December 2011, 04:24 PM
Are toggling between views by pressing the info button?

Nick

hooray ,it's working ,I'm still not sure what iv'e pressed but at least i don't need a spirit level now ,there's so much stuff to learn ! ,many thanks for your help and patience Nick.

Jerry

ah ,sussed it out now !

PeteBoo
2nd January 2012, 04:44 PM
On the E-P1 there is a built in spirit level, not sure if it is in the E-PL1.
Press Menue
press down to cogs
then go to D
scroll through D till you see Level Gauge
Turn it on.
exit menue then press Info a few time and a level gauge will show

Wreckdiver
2nd January 2012, 07:51 PM
I use these spirit levels (http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=109810) and swear by them. I keep several, one in each of my camera bags. They are a standard size and will fit Olympus cameras.

Steve

Nick Temple-Fry
2nd January 2012, 10:03 PM
I use these spirit levels (http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=109810) and swear by them. I keep several, one in each of my camera bags. They are a standard size and will fit Olympus cameras.

Steve

Just what I use when the E-3 is on the tripod.

But on a PEN they use the hot shoe - which you need to mount the vf-2.

On the E-P1 there is a built in spirit level, not sure if it is in the E-PL1.

Not on the E-PL1 unfortunately

Nick

Wreckdiver
3rd January 2012, 09:22 AM
But on a PEN they use the hot shoe - which you need to mount the vf-2.
Nick

Jerry IS asking for advice on a spirit level that fits on the hot-shoe and if they are all the same size.

I have no idea about using an E-PL1; I use SLRs.

Steve

Homer Simpson
3rd January 2012, 10:53 AM

Steve

worth a try at 3.70 delivered *chr

Jerry P
3rd January 2012, 09:09 PM
worth a try at 3.70 delivered *chr

cheaper on eBay at the bargin price of 2.49 delivered ,at that price i can't afford NOT to have one

thanks for all the reply's

Jerry