PDA

View Full Version : Very bad shutter delay

Olybirder
29th December 2011, 06:29 PM
We were invited to my partner's niece's house today and I decided to take a camera to get some photographs of her young daughters. I took my 'back up' E-510 with the 40-100 Mk2 zoom.

I was indoors with some natural light coming in through the windows and was using the flash but I experienced terrible shutter delay. I would place the target on the subject and half press the shutter button to get focus but when I pressed it all the way down nothing happened for four or five seconds until it took the shot. Naturally, this was hopeless with very active young children and I never ended up with the photograph which I was expecting.

Is this delay normal or could an incorrect camera setting cause it? It was a little annoying as my partner was having no problems with her Olympus VG-120 compact and she ended up with some great videos and photos!

Ron

Melaka
29th December 2011, 06:33 PM
Was the camera struggling to focus due to the poor light and slow lens? Even with pro and top pro lenses on Ex bodies I've had the occasional focus problem in poor light.

Olybirder
29th December 2011, 06:42 PM
Was the camera struggling to focus due to the poor light and slow lens? Even with pro and top pro lenses on Ex bodies I've had the occasional focus problem in poor light.
I think that must have been the problem, although I was surprised as it was during the day with a fair amount of natural light and it didn't appear to be that dark.

The other thing was that there was no feel to the button. The flash was strobing away and it gained focus but the button didn't feel as if it was doing anything when I pressed it all the way down. I am not a fan of the flash strobing as focus assist. I would much prefer infra red.

Ron

snaarman
29th December 2011, 06:57 PM
Assuming it isn't actually a fault in the shutter button, one of the usual culprits is switching on the delayed action or anti shock setting.

It's easy to do and, rather like enabling exposure bracketing, it leaves you wondering just what the heck has gone wrong with the camera :-)

Pete

meach
29th December 2011, 06:58 PM
Have you checked to see whether the anti-shock was on?

Update: I see Pete beat me to it.

Zuiko
29th December 2011, 06:59 PM
I've found the strobing flash to be useless - the camera focuses far easier without it. I disable it on my cameras.

sponner
29th December 2011, 08:15 PM
When I was experienceing the same problem I eventually realised the solution was a Meacha nd Snaarman describe :(

Olybirder
29th December 2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the anti-shock suggestion. I will check it later. As I say, it is my back up camera, which I rarely use, so it is possible that it is switched on.

Ron

Olybirder
29th December 2011, 11:05 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions. I have now found out what the problem was and I feel extremely silly. About three weeks ago I took it to work to photograph some paintings for Christmas cards. I used a tripod and the 6 second self timer to avoid camera shake. Need I say more!! I wish it would reset when the camera is switched off to allow for idiotic users like me. I suppose the moral is to check the most obvious things first!

Ron

Nick Temple-Fry
30th December 2011, 12:26 AM
Many thanks for the suggestions. I have now found out what the problem was and I feel extremely silly. About three weeks ago I took it to work to photograph some paintings for Christmas cards. I used a tripod and the 6 second self timer to avoid camera shake. Need I say more!! I wish it would reset when the camera is switched off to allow for idiotic users like me. I suppose the moral is to check the most obvious things first!

Ron

No need to feel silly, we've all done it at some time or other (my shot of Great Shefford Church was done with a 12 second delay, I couldn't work out why the camera wasn't responding properly, especially as I'd never set delay on purpose on that camera).

Once it happens, we think of all sorts of dreadful reasons why our complicated friend is struggling, never the obvious one 'that it's doing exactly what we told it'.

Nick

Graham_of_Rainham
30th December 2011, 12:34 AM
There is a lesson for us all here. I've asked Olympus to impliment a "MyMode" save to memory card, such that default/favorite settings can be quickly and easily restored.

Something for the New Years Resolutions - Always re-set the camera while waiting for the images to copy from the card to the computer... *owl

Ross the fiddler
30th December 2011, 01:06 AM

Ron

Yeah, been there, done that. I first had to contend with my son using the camera with his own settings, so bought myself another camera but now I can only blame myself for overlooking previous used settings when I get carried away with the moment (& it still happens :o).

David M
30th December 2011, 01:30 AM
Something for the New Years Resolutions - Always re-set the camera while waiting for the images to copy from the card to the computer... *owl

If deviating from my normal settings I usually try to reset straight after finishing the shoot and double check I've reset everything while copying the images to the computer.

pepper
30th December 2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks David and Graham, that sounds like a good idea to put into practice in my workflow, I've done silly things like leaving my camera in high ISO settings and then picked it up next time and haven't got the shots I wanted due to it all being set wrong. If I implement that idea I may have less issues in the future...

Tordan58
30th December 2011, 10:33 AM

Ron
Ron,
I have gone through exactly the same thing myself...

Other 'silly' things I managed to do before getting used to the camera operation includes the following:

Accidentally turning the exposure mode dial from (most often used) A to T, ending up with slightly blurred images and not realizing in the first place (pictures look OK at a glance on the LCD, only closer inspection reveals shake blur).
Accidentally operating the control dial and changing aperture value.
Accidentally operating the rightmost buttons on the back of the body, which are quite exposed (the AF mode and AF target buttons).

Olybirder
30th December 2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It is comforting to know that I am not the only 'idiot' out there. :o

Ron

Ross the fiddler
30th December 2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It is comforting to know that I am not the only 'idiot' out there. :o

Ron

Careful how you say that, we might be sensitive idiots. ;) :D

*chr

David M
30th December 2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks David and Graham, that sounds like a good idea to put into practice in my workflow, I've done silly things like leaving my camera in high ISO settings and then picked it up next time and haven't got the shots I wanted due to it all being set wrong. If I implement that idea I may have less issues in the future...

TBH, 98% of the time my cameras are always setup the same, RAW, 100ISO and aperture priority.

I so rarely change settings it may be easier for me to remember to change them back.

TRIPLEPOT
30th December 2011, 09:41 PM
This has reminded me I have left my E 510 in remote trigger mode, what's the betting I forget before it's next used:o (it plays second fiddle to an E 1).
Mike

timg
30th December 2011, 10:26 PM
and another one to add to the list, when I wondered why my E510 was struggling so much to focus in low light... I'd left the polarising filter on it!

Chevvyf1
31st December 2011, 08:15 AM
and another one to add to the list, when I wondered why my E510 was struggling so much to focus in low light... I'd left the polarising filter on it!

and sometimes ... my E-5 cannot focus ... :confused: with the LENS CAP on :D