PDA

View Full Version : 50 mm Macro

andym
14th May 2008, 06:12 PM
This has probably been discussed before but I have the chance to get a secondhand 50mm macro at a reasonable price.
What is peoples impression of this lens,one thing I am interested in is the focusing ie I have herd it is liable to hunting.

Thanks

Ps also posted over on 4/3 user

Chillimonster
14th May 2008, 07:02 PM
The lens is a peach. Its sharpe enough to cut you (in fact, according to independant tests its one of THE SHARPEST lenses out there on any format)

Yes it does hunt a little when doing macro (But i use MF when shoting macro) and the focus is slower that say a canon nifty fifty F1.8 due to the amount of focus travel.

If it's cheap enough, buy it and you will find it live on the camera for ages while you play with DOF.

Chris

nad
14th May 2008, 07:36 PM
Buy it at ANY cost. It's perfect...

BUT don't use it to take pictures of your love (or even more her mother). It's just too unveiling of little details for that:-(((

niels

Ellie
14th May 2008, 10:31 PM
... I have the chance to get a secondhand 50mm macro at a reasonable price..
I think it's a terrible idea Andy, you shouldn't buy it, you should let it go to a more worthy cause .. me :rolleyes:

j.baker
15th May 2008, 06:44 AM
If the price is really good (<230) then it may be worth it.

KERSO can do a really really good price that is not a huge amount more, for a new one.

Its is a great lens.

andym
15th May 2008, 06:54 AM
If the price is really good (<230) then it may be worth it.

KERSO can do a really really good price that is not a huge amount more, for a new one.

Its is a great lens.

John

Its 235.00 but there may the some leeway.

Steve Lane
15th May 2008, 09:17 AM
Hello Andy,

The 50mm F2 is one of my favorite lenses of all time. It stops on the camera body 90% of the time at the moment. It is a truly versatile lens, not only for macro work, but portraits, still life, landscape and candid subjects.

Even when used at F2, it is very sharp and the bokeh is superb. Yes, it can hunt sometimes, and it seems to take an age to refocus if it misses the target. I have lost a couple of shots because of this. However, I have 'learned' to anticipate such times (generally low light or low contrast scenes), and switch to manual focus.

I would not hesitate recommending this lens.

Regards, Steve.

HughofBardfield
15th May 2008, 09:48 AM
Bite their hand off if the price is right...

Pictures I've seen from it are stunning. However, I believe macro is "limited" to 1:2 without the EX-25 extension tube.

andym
15th May 2008, 11:51 AM
Got it for 220.00.Another toy to play with.

Jim
15th May 2008, 11:56 AM
Congratulations :)

That's a good price.

Rod Souter
16th May 2008, 07:28 PM
Has anybody tried to use Kerso's e-bay shop lately, today it does not appear to have any stock??

Rod

Chillimonster
16th May 2008, 07:41 PM
Has anybody tried to use Kerso's e-bay shop lately, today it does not appear to have any stock??

Rod

I think Ian is away until 22nd May, so that may account for it.

Chris

Rod Souter
16th May 2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that,

I'll have to keep my money for a few more days:D:D:D

Rod

tlove
17th May 2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Andy

Yes it's a lovely lens - as others have said, it can 'hunt' a little bit, but I've only really found this to be a problem (and only sometimes) if I use it with my 1.4x teleconverter. Doesn't stop me using it lots though :D:D!

This photo was taken with the 50mm and 1.4x telecon last weekend (1/100 sec at f8 - ISO 400) in very dull weather (and in the shade):
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/Perennial_Cornflower.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5342)

Hope you enjoy your lens - I do mine :):).

Thea

theMusicMan
17th May 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Andy

Yes it's a lovely lens - as others have said, it can 'hunt' a little bit, but I've only really found this to be a problem (and only sometimes) if I use it with my 1.4x teleconverter. Doesn't stop me using it lots though :D:D!

This photo was taken with the 50mm and 1.4x telecon last weekend (1/100 sec at f8 - ISO 400) in very dull weather (and in the shade):
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/506/Perennial_Cornflower.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5342)

Hope you enjoy your lens - I do mine :):).

TheaWoah, what an image - that is really lovely. I am not usually one to go for flower type shots, but this one caught my eye immediately, it is a stunner. Look at the detail - excellent pic, thanks for posting.