PDA

View Full Version : E-3 or E-510

Who's_E
13th May 2008, 10:23 PM
Please can you good folk offer some advice.

I am looking to upgrade my E1 and E330 combination into one of the newer cameras with a "better" sensor and IS. I use the 12-60 and 50-200 non-SWD lenses.

My problem is deciding whether it is worth spending about 500 (a stretch) more on an E3 than an E510.

(1) Half my album centres on moving subjects so both being able to shift the AF point quickly and having a good AF speed are good things. However, is the E3 500 better? I normally have one or two shots per shoot out of focus for whatever reason, although I noticed the E510 hunting quite a lot when I was taking small birds but this could have been the low light.

(2) I assume the image quality is similar, all things being equal, or is there some aspect of the E3 that turns out sharper photos?

(3) The other is the value to me: Yes the E3 is tough and waterproof but I could buy two or three E510s for the price of one should I damage it.

Please can you share your experiences with the two models. I have used them both and find the controls on each fine. I am just coming unstuck when it is my money and I can only have one model!

Thanks for your help,

Nick

theMusicMan
14th May 2008, 06:09 AM
Hi Nick

I own and have used both models, and love them both. I have to say though that the E-3 is awesome, and I have no regrets at all about purchasing it.

(1) Half my album centres on moving subjects so both being able to shift the AF point quickly and having a good AF speed are good things. However, is the E3 £500 better? I normally have one or two shots per shoot out of focus for whatever reason, although I noticed the E510 hunting quite a lot when I was taking small birds but this could have been the low light.

It is easy to switch AF modes - there's a button to accomplish this right under your right thumb!!

(2) I assume the image quality is similar, all things being equal, or is there some aspect of the E3 that turns out sharper photos?

The IQ at higher ISO makes for super shooting in low light, and I find the E-3 with longer lenses a lot better than the E-510 (70-300mm). I am told both the 12-60mm and 50-200mm produce superb images when on the E-3. They seem to go hand in had with each other.

(3) The other is the value to me: Yes the E3 is tough and waterproof but I could buy two or three E510s for the price of one should I damage it.

I guess in the end it comes down to personal preference and ones opinion on value for money. The E-510 provides superb value for money in my opinion - and for the price, simply cannot be beaten by any other camera. The E-3 is a different beast altogether - yes, it is more expensive, larger, and has more features - but in my opinion it is a superb camera that I wouldn't ever do without.

Hope this helps.

DerekC
14th May 2008, 06:48 AM
Hi Nick,

I also own both, and have used them side by side. For me the E-3 is brilliant the winner here.
A lot of my photography is moving subjects motorsport and last weekand Chatsworth Horse Trials. The E-3 is the better is the two cameras with it better auto focus.
The E-3 is definitely complimented by quality lens. I own the 70-300 which is a good lens. But I find it hunts a lot more on the E-510 than the E-3.
I have used the 50-200 SWD and the difference is outstanding no hunting and a lot faster to auto focus. A superb combination.
The weatherproofing of the E-3 is an advantage as we all know British weather is not predictable.
The E-510 is a very good camera but its the E-3 for me.

Best Regards
Derek C

mike_j
14th May 2008, 07:49 AM
To some extent I suggest that it depends on whether you mind lugging a big heavy camera around. The e510 is much lighter and smaller though with the lenses you mentioned much of this advantage is lost.

If I am going out specifically to take photographs I don't worry too much about how much kit I take. If I'm just taking a camera with me as part of the activity, then small and light wins the day.

knikki
14th May 2008, 08:18 AM
To some extent I suggest that it depends on whether you mind lugging a big heavy camera around. The e510 is much lighter and smaller though with the lenses you mentioned much of this advantage is lost.

Oh I don't know, the E3 is not such a heavy weight that people make out :)

The E3 is a bigger and heavier camera than the E510 but get a Optech strap on the E3 and the weight is not such an issue (mind you go for a walk with the F4s and EOS 1, nearly 4kgs in weight :eek: and the E3 is a light weight :D)

Who's_E
20th May 2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks all for your comments, I bought an E3.

Just updated to firmware 1.1 and ready to go for landscapes at the weekend!

Nick

Nick Temple-Fry
20th May 2008, 10:42 PM
Well I'm sure you would have liked the E-510, but you've made a marvellous choice in the E-3 and I'm certain you will enjoy.

Just be aware the E-3 is almost too good, there is a bit of a learning curve till you, and the myriad of focussing options and settings click together. It's almost like you have a woollen hand that needs to stretch a bit to fill the new glove.

Nick

theMusicMan
21st May 2008, 04:55 AM
Thanks all for your comments, I bought an E3.

Just updated to firmware 1.1 and ready to go for landscapes at the weekend!

Nick... and it's a superb move you have made too. As Nick states, dive in to and try out the various AF points, make sure you look at swapping the AE/Fn button functions over (it works better) - I have my fn button now set to instant switching to center spot exposure metering, maybe find some saturation/sharpening/contrast settings for different situations - all can be programmed in to your liking.

Good luck on the weekend with the landscapes - don't forget to try pano's too :)