PDA

View Full Version : E-510 scoops award.

Barr1e
29th November 2007, 06:36 PM
What Digital Camera -Awards 2007 Issue 130 (latest edition) - names Olympus E-510 the 'Best Entry Level DSLR 2007'.

"The E-510 is currently the definitive Four Thirds DSLR".

theMusicMan
29th November 2007, 07:38 PM
That's great news and will come as a shock to some of the Canikons over on some of the other sites I frequent. They are trembling now... especially with the E-3 now released.

Olympus is certainly catching up very quickly and I hope will continue to do so.

yorky
29th November 2007, 09:26 PM
Yes, but for how long! I reckon the next big player may well be Sony?

theMusicMan
29th November 2007, 09:48 PM
Sony may very well be the next award winner, but for the moment, it's Olympus... :):)

Bo_Nydahl
30th November 2007, 06:39 PM
Yes, but for how long! I reckon the next big player may well be Sony?

Sony have stated their intention to be number 2 within 5 years. I believe them too.

Mike

Ian
1st December 2007, 10:58 AM
Sony have stated their intention to be number 2 within 5 years. I believe them too.

Mike

Sony are a formidable foe. But the fact is that the Sony platform is a legacy one . The Alpha A700 is beautifully built but, in my opinion, it has a serious legacy issue with its AF system (the AF motor is in the camera body and is noisy in operation) and it will take a massive effort to switch to much more modern in-lens AF across the board. The same is true of Pentax. Nikon started to address this issue some time ago. Canon has always used in-lens AF motors.

Sony also missed the opportunity to feature live view in the A700.

Ian

Bo_Nydahl
1st December 2007, 11:49 AM
Sony are a formidable foe. But the fact is that the Sony platform is a legacy one . The Alpha A700 is beautifully built but, in my opinion, it has a serious legacy issue with its AF system (the AF motor is in the camera body and is noisy in operation) and it will take a massive effort to switch to much more modern in-lens AF across the board. The same is true of Pentax. Nikon started to address this issue some time ago. Canon has always used in-lens AF motors.

Sony also missed the opportunity to feature live view in the A700.

Ian

Absolutely correct Ian but, I think Sony are a definite "watch this space" company. With Sony's resources they will move on and become better. At present I think Sony's engineers are on a learning curve being educated by the ex Minolta employees. Who knows where they will go? It will be interesting to watch while I play with my......er.....Olympii.....what is the plural of Olympus?;)

Ian
1st December 2007, 11:59 AM
Absolutely correct Ian but, I think Sony are a definite "watch this space" company. With Sony's resources they will move on and become better. At present I think Sony's engineers are on a learning curve being educated by the ex Minolta employees. Who knows where they will go? It will be interesting to watch while I play with my......er.....Olympii.....what is the plural of Olympus?;)

I am in the process of writing a review of the A700 for my other site, DPNow. There is a lot that is good to say about the A700, but I was kind of expecting more from Sony. I think it will be a couple of years before the modernisation process has been fully rolled out.

Nobody's position in the market is secure. Nikon is currently giving Canon a good thrashing - who would have thought of that 3 years ago?

I really rate the Olympus/Panasonic partnership. They are really pushing the envelope. The Samsung/Pentax partnership, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be achieving very much, though new models are rumoured to be coming very soon.

The interchangeable lens camera (notice I didn't say DSLR) market is, in my opinion, going to be revolutionised in the next 5 years. The E-3, L10, D300 - all have many advanced features that haven't been seen on SLRs before, but they are still a variation of a theme that was originally introduced 50 odd years ago. I'm really expecting some interesting departures from the SLR but using SLR system lenses - and Four Thirds is the best positioned system to lead this kind of innovation.

Ian