PDA

View Full Version : Ex-demo 90-250 at Warehouse Express

Olybirder
29th November 2011, 04:36 PM
If anybody is feeling exceptionally flush with money at the moment they could either (a) have a word with George Osborne or (b) visit the Warehouse Express website to purchase an ex-demo 90-250 f2.8 Zuiko for 3499.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be making that purchase. :(

Ron

catkins
29th November 2011, 05:19 PM
Sssh, I've been eyeing up that one for a while but money is something that I'm forgetting the colour of, but it certainly looked a worthwhile bargain for someone who is feeling flush! It seems to have been in the bargain section of WE for some time, so maybe it'll find a user from our ranks.

Regards
Chris

David Morison
29th November 2011, 09:56 PM
With this in mind, here's a question: Apart from being one stop slower, would a 90-250 at 210mm + EC20 be as good as the 300mm Top pro + EC14?

Just a thought I had as it would definitely be more versatile.

David

Melaka
30th November 2011, 08:19 AM
I wish I knew! I bought the 300mm in September 2010 and the 90-250mm in May this year, both second hand. I've not used the latter as much as the 300mm. If I'm photographing birds then I prefer to have as much focal length as possible with or without the teleconverter. On the other hand if I'm photographing something a bit larger then the versatility of the zoom wins every time, especially if I can get close to it. Weight and size wise there's not much in it. Either way you get the pleasure of knowing you're using a top notch piece of kit.

Mar
30th November 2011, 02:18 PM
With this in mind, here's a question: Apart from being one stop slower, would a 90-250 at 210mm + EC20 be as good as the 300mm Top pro + EC14?

Just a thought I had as it would definitely be more versatile.

David

Nope,
300mm + EC14 would probably have similar IQ to 90-250@250mm (without EC), but of course with substantialy more reach.

There's no comparison really - if you need as much reach possible go for 300, but if you need a zoom go for 90-250mm.

Simple, yet complicated hehe :D

David M
30th November 2011, 10:21 PM
Nope,
300mm + EC14 would probably have similar IQ to 90-250@250mm (without EC), but of course with substantialy more reach.

There's no comparison really - if you need as much reach possible go for 300, but if you need a zoom go for 90-250mm.

Simple, yet complicated hehe :D

If you need that much reach there's also plenty of legacy glass available. I haven't seen any shots taken with the 300mm that would convince me to get one to replace my longer legacy glass.

catkins
1st January 2012, 10:56 PM
Sssh, I've been eyeing up that one for a while but money is something that I'm forgetting the colour of, but it certainly looked a worthwhile bargain for someone who is feeling flush! It seems to have been in the bargain section of WE for some time, so maybe it'll find a user from our ranks.

Regards
Chris

Oh no . . . . it looks like some lucky Oly user has managed to snaffle this lens up. Damn, another 3 years and 45 days and I would nearly have been able to consider putting down my offer. Oh well, there goes my challenge, my dream, my everything . . . and it's only the first day of the bright new year!!

Oh well, back to Google + and posting to this Forum! Happy New Year to you all, and I hope your dreams are achieved more easily than mine!! :D

Regards
Chris

David M
1st January 2012, 11:20 PM
Oh no . . . . it looks like some lucky Oly user has managed to snaffle this lens up. Damn, another 3 years and 45 days and I would nearly have been able to consider putting down my offer. Oh well, there goes my challenge, my dream, my everything . . . and it's only the first day of the bright new year!!

Oh well, back to Google + and posting to this Forum! Happy New Year to you all, and I hope your dreams are achieved more easily than mine!! :D

Regards
Chris

Amazon.com had 6 new Zuiko 300mm f2.8 on sale for $5,476.45 US (3,533.11) each a couple of weeks ago, a better deal than an ex-demo 90-250.

I'd have snapped one up if I hadn't just bought a new car.

gazza95
2nd January 2012, 10:32 AM
Well I hope the 90-250 is a better deal than the 300mm on amazon otherwise it might be going back to wex. Will find out Wednesday :)

Gary

Greytop
2nd January 2012, 11:16 AM
Well I hope the 90-250 is a better deal than the 300mm on amazon otherwise it might be going back to wex. Will find out Wednesday :)

Gary

Congratulations Gary :)

catkins
2nd January 2012, 06:25 PM

Gary

Well, I hope that the way that I read this means that it's gone to a good home (for the time being at least!) and hopefully we'll see some of the results on this forum - in the meantime I'll keep on dreaming of a big lens, or good Amazon bargains that make people return Wex bargains basement items!

Regards
Chris

David M
2nd January 2012, 06:41 PM
- in the meantime I'll keep on dreaming of a big lens

Regards
Chris

It depends on what you want a long lens for. There's lot's of fast, manual focus legacy glass I'd choose before getting a 90-250.

gazza95
2nd January 2012, 08:01 PM
Chris, I will certainly be posting a few samples once I get to grips with the lens.

David, I have played with legacy lenses on Olympus and to be honest I was always dissapointed either with resolution or contrast. My conclusion is you need the best glass to get most out of current generation of sensors.

The alternative was Nikon but that route was going to get even more expensive for the focal length range I need for bikes, cars, planes and rowers.

Gary

catkins
2nd January 2012, 08:17 PM
It depends on what you want a long lens for. There's lot's of fast, manual focus legacy glass I'd choose before getting a 90-250.

I guess a/. I like dreaming & b/. I like taking photos of wildlife, low flying aircraft/helicopters, motor sports, etc., and the capabilities of this lens would be quite useful (but admittedly there are numerous discussions as to whether a high grade fixed lens is better quality than a high grade zoom lens)
Still, that's the joy of photography, we're never really satisfied, yet in terms of excellent value for most situations I have the kit that I need, while still keeping the dreams of what I want!!

Regards
Chris

David M
2nd January 2012, 08:52 PM
David, I have played with legacy lenses on Olympus and to be honest I was always dissapointed either with resolution or contrast. My conclusion is you need the best glass to get most out of current generation of sensors.

Gary

It depends on the lens, there's legacy lenses out there that still out resolve the current generation of sensor.

I've yet to have a client/publisher reject a shot taken with legacy glass because of resolution or contrast. Mind you, I've also had a double page spread taken with the 14-42 kit lens.

David M
2nd January 2012, 09:04 PM
b/. I like taking photos of wildlife, low flying aircraft/helicopters, motor sports, etc., and the capabilities of this lens would be quite useful

Regards
Chris

So which ones were taken with AF and which with MF?

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/4270305.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/39672)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/4041127.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22524)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/5040364.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/33319)

gazza95
2nd January 2012, 09:22 PM
David, I have no idea :)

Phill D
2nd January 2012, 09:40 PM
I've no idea either but just for the hell of it how about the first two manual and the last one on auto?

Greytop
2nd January 2012, 10:09 PM
I've a hunch David will tell us they were all manual ;)
All superb shots by the way..

David M
3rd January 2012, 01:24 AM
I've a hunch David will tell us they were all manual ;)

Bingo, the Caspian Tern is a film shot, the other 2 digital.