PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the Highlands

stoates
27th November 2011, 12:59 AM
IainMacD and I are hoping to get out for a day taking photos during the weekend of 10/11 Dec.

After the first winter snow yesterday (up here in Moray) the initial plan is to head down towards the Cairngorm mountains but we intend to remain flexible, dependent on the forecast weather nearer the time.

It would be great to have some other forum members along and we are open to any suggestions for possible locations. *chr

IainMacD
3rd December 2011, 10:48 AM
Well, no takers yet Steve? Maybe everyone is keeping an eye on the weather before they commit and after the last few days I don't blame them!
Iain

Jim Ford
3rd December 2011, 03:07 PM
I'd be up for it if I wasn't 500 miles away!

Jim

Chevvyf1
3rd December 2011, 04:11 PM
Me too Jim !

Which is the nearest Airport ?

I would love a weekend of Snow scenes ... in your stunning Highlands !
Stoates a friends, friends, live in Findhorn - is that where you live ? :)

stoates
3rd December 2011, 04:20 PM
Which is the nearest Airport ?

I would love a weekend of Snow scenes ... in your stunning Highlands !
Stoates a friends, friends, live in Findhorn - is that where you live ? :)

Inverness airport less than an hour's drive from the Cairngorms!

Yes Chevvy - I'm lucky enough to live in Findhorn, have done for the past 15 years. My wife is likely to know your friends - she knows everybody :).

Still no firm plans for next weekend - I don't trust the long range forecast that much but there has been some snow on the mountains so Cairngorms still likely location. Iain and I will update the post when we finalise the plans.

Chevvyf1
3rd December 2011, 04:50 PM
Hi Stoates, I just looked for flights from/to Southampton ... one flight only up and thats leaving at 7.30am - to Jersey :( then to London :( then to ? forget where and finally arrives Inverness at 21.30pm ...

Maybe when I can book earlier ... and get better prices ... and maybe flights from Heathrow ...

Friends, Friend lady is "Nan" I cannot recall her real name ... they have a sailing boat and are keen sailors :)
my friends name is Anna !

jamie allan
4th December 2011, 10:49 AM
Steve/Iain,
I'd have been interested in meeting up but unfortunately it coincides with my daughter's birthday. I wouldn't be too popular if I missed that.

stoates
4th December 2011, 11:06 AM
Steve/Iain,
I'd have been interested in meeting up but unfortunately it coincides with my daughter's birthday. I wouldn't be too popular if I missed that.

That's a shame Jamie. Hopefully we will manage another day when the winter REALLY sets in and you will manage to get along for that.

Chevvy - I think the only (London) flight options to Inverness are from Gatwick or Luton. 'Nan' is unusual enough that my wife may know her from that. I'll ask when she gets back from a weekend in Edinburgh.

Chevvyf1
4th December 2011, 11:17 AM
That's a shame Jamie. Hopefully we will manage another day when the winter REALLY sets in and you will manage to get along for that.

Chevvy - I think the only (London) flight options to Inverness are from Gatwick or Luton. 'Nan' is unusual enough that my wife may know her from that. I'll ask when she gets back from a weekend in Edinburgh.

Steve, I looked from Southampton first as its 20 mins away; whereas Gatwick is 1 h 45 + and Luton ? thats north of Watford ... I think :eek: I'd get lost going there :D

My friend Anna loves your Flickr shots :D :) she was going to show Nan :) :D

Jim Ford
4th December 2011, 12:46 PM
Luton ? thats north of Watford ... I think :eek: I'd get lost going there :D

Easy!

M3 -> M25 -> M1

Jim

wanderer
4th December 2011, 08:16 PM
I regret I am unable to attend as I'm playing with some toys I've 'borrowed' from Ian. I'll be up at my 'Highland Estate' at Crianlarich.:D

http://www.ochils.com/content/view/6/25/

Chevvyf1
4th December 2011, 08:51 PM
I regret I am unable to attend as I'm playing with some toys I've 'borrowed' from Ian. I'll be up at my 'Highland Estate' at Crianlarich.:D

http://www.ochils.com/content/view/6/25/

Duncan, I did not have you "pegged" as a SNOB ! :D

wanderer
4th December 2011, 10:06 PM
Duncan, I did not have you "pegged" as a SNOB !

Aye...Right. As they say up here.
I took the photos of it.
One of the 2 oldest buildings in the village. Down as occupied on the first OS survey 1865.

Chevvyf1
4th December 2011, 10:14 PM
Duncan, I was joking *yes

This Mountain hideaway looks fab - it would be wonderful "if a lot of us could make it for a weekend" :) taking some "Fuel," ... for the fire (not included int he price but Electricity is :D) and Fuel for humans eg AL CO HOL ! :D

What is the nearest airport ? and how far to this Winter Highland Estate ?

Jim Ford
4th December 2011, 11:02 PM
One of the 2 oldest buildings in the village. Down as occupied on the first OS survey 1865.

So it's a bothy, albeit a posh one!

;^)

Jim

ChrisW
5th December 2011, 12:31 AM
Sorry, I canít make it either.

wanderer
5th December 2011, 11:01 PM
Its a great wee (well no quite so) hideaway. The weather can be atrocious. In recent weeks there have been days every week in excess of 25mm of rain. But you can go in all directions to escape the dreich. e.g Glencoe 40 minutes, Oban 50mins.
It is comfortable. You need to take your own sleeping bag and pillow. All electric and gas included. We charge £8.50 per night. Its now limited ability friendly.
3 pubs within half a mile (nearest 100yards), a good grocers, a railway station (direct trains to London, the sleeper), Glasgow airport about an hours drive.

Wildlife in the 'garden' includes deer, coos!, birds, frogs, dragonflies, butterflies and flowers. At the right time of year a good crop of rasps and blaeberries. Oh and yes, midgies.

From New Year its booked every weekend for 3 months but is usually quiet through July to September.

And I'm very fond of it. I try to go up for a few days in both winter and summer. The first time I stayed there was nearly 40 years ago.

Chevvyf1
6th December 2011, 09:02 AM
Its a great wee (well no quite so) hideaway. The weather can be atrocious. In recent weeks there have been days every week in excess of 25mm of rain. But you can go in all directions to escape the dreich. e.g Glencoe 40 minutes, Oban 50mins.
It is comfortable. You need to take your own sleeping bag and pillow. All electric and gas included. We charge £8.50 per night. Its now limited ability friendly.
3 pubs within half a mile (nearest 100yards), a good grocers, a railway station (direct trains to London, the sleeper), Glasgow airport about an hours drive.

Wildlife in the 'garden' includes deer, coos!, birds, frogs, dragonflies, butterflies and flowers. At the right time of year a good crop of rasps and blaeberries. Oh and yes, midgies.

From New Year its booked every weekend for 3 months but is usually quiet through July to September.

And I'm very fond of it. I try to go up for a few days in both winter and summer. The first time I stayed there was nearly 40 years ago.

Duncan, I LURVE IT ! and trains direct to London, what is the station name ? Sounds much better than flights ! ... now when to have a long weekend up there ? I fancy a June (for Landscapes & Wildlife and end October for the Fall :)

ringneck
6th December 2011, 12:30 PM
Would dearly love to get up there but sadly it's not to be.

My only visit to the highlands was a week in August at Kincraig...we stayed in a cabin(sheds he he) in the grounds of a converted Church.Had instant access to the ancient woods with badger,cat,Red Sqiggle and oh yes the Osprey on the doorstep.
It was just a short walk to Loch Inch where the Osprey had their nest..we managed to get virtually on their level and could see the youngsters in the nest...never saw them fishing as they used to go to the local fish shop (fishery) down stream.
Spent the time of the Solar Eclipse beside the Loch and everything went silent and still...magic.On par with this was a trip we took up the Findorn Valley...WOW what a great place and I imagine even better in the winter.:)

Chevvyf1
6th December 2011, 12:43 PM
Would dearly love to get up there but sadly it's not to be.

My only visit to the highlands was a week in August at Kincraig...we stayed in a cabin(sheds he he) in the grounds of a converted Church.Had instant access to the ancient woods with badger,cat,Red Sqiggle and oh yes the Osprey on the doorstep.
It was just a short walk to Loch Inch where the Osprey had their nest..we managed to get virtually on their level and could see the youngsters in the nest...never saw them fishing as they used to go to the local fish shop (fishery) down stream.
Spent the time of the Solar Eclipse beside the Loch and everything went silent and still...magic.On par with this was a trip we took up the Findorn Valley...WOW what a great place and I imagine even better in the winter.:)

Keith MAGIC ! You have sold me on a week up in the Highlands - well you and Duncan ... and Stoates is always posting amazing shots of Findhorn so a visit there is a must too ! Now I have to look at a map and plan that week ! :D

wanderer
6th December 2011, 12:53 PM
Sorry, Steve. There appears to be a hijack of this thread underway.

The station is Crianlarich. There is no other in a village of about 300 people although Tyndrum 5 miles up the road does have 2.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/906/8170959B.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/38008)

15 miles away.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/906/5202588.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/32850)

23 miles away

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/906/C114827B.JPG (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/21186)

18miles away

and that's enough for now.:D

stoates
6th December 2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by wanderer
'Sorry, Steve. There appears to be a hijack of this thread underway.'

Not an issue to me in the least Duncan - I'm glad it has generated the interest it has. It looks like Crianlarich could be a contender for a future 'E Group' meet. *yes

wanderer
6th December 2011, 02:04 PM
It looks like Crianlarich could be a contender for a future 'E Group' meet.

I'm beginning to think that way.
June is a good time and I can find out what the availability of the cottage is.
There are also several B&Bs, 2 hotels and a Youth Hostel in Crianlarich.
The only problem is that it is on the M1 of Scottish walking , the West Highland Way so it can be busy. There are also plenty of other places to stay within about 12 miles.

stoates
6th December 2011, 05:35 PM
I'm beginning to think that way.
June is a good time and I can find out what the availability of the cottage is.
There are also several B&Bs, 2 hotels and a Youth Hostel in Crianlarich.
The only problem is that it is on the M1 of Scottish walking , the West Highland Way so it can be busy. There are also plenty of other places to stay within about 12 miles.

Sounds good. Already looking forward to the warmer weather!

Chevvyf1
6th December 2011, 05:47 PM
Duncan - sorry I have been sidetracked trying to save my LAPTOP :( its gone awol ... but all photos off it *yes

I shall look at where the cottage is; an look at trains - if Nicks finished the SupaMotoHome it may be there too! ...

Sorry to sound dull & boring, but I have "Knackered Knees" and slow, gentle walks are ok for me but no longer can I hike - nor Nick :( ... we would be Happy wandering about the local ... but Love the evenings or trips to a wee Distillary :cool:

Is Findhorn an outing from the old Cottage ?

stoates
6th December 2011, 08:13 PM
Is Findhorn an outing from the old Cottage ?

You could call it that Chevvy :) - about a 3 hour 'outing' north. Not really a viable day trip I'm afraid but the area around Moray is well worth the trip if you haven't ventured up here before.