PDA

View Full Version : Guess The Weight Of The Edible Photograph

Zuiko
26th November 2011, 07:06 PM
Went to another craft fair today, this time I took the grand total of 12 - which is 60% of the pitch fee! :eek:

I noticed that the two busiest stalls were food and "guess the weight of the cake," so in future I intend to print my pictures on rice paper to make them edible and hold a competition to guess the weight of a framed 16x12 at 1 a go! :D

Chevvyf1
26th November 2011, 07:55 PM
John I bought some rice paper last week *chr but it has Euro's and $'s printed on it ... not sure about eating these inks :(

PeterBirder
26th November 2011, 11:07 PM
Hi John.
Sorry this week's craft fair wasn't too good.

However I have a semi-serious suggestion.
I happened to call in at one of our recently extended Tesco stores (Marks Farm) this afternoon and found they have a facility to print photographs on their plain iced cakes. Presumably this is intended for birthday cakes etc.
Could you print some of your striking landscapes on cakes either for sale or "guess the location" competition?

Just a thought.:rolleyes:*chr

Zuiko
27th November 2011, 02:12 AM
John I bought some rice paper last week *chr but it has Euro's and $'s printed on it ... not sure about eating these inks :(

I wouldn't eat them either - particularly the Euro, that's definitely toxic at the moment. :eek:

Zuiko
27th November 2011, 02:22 AM
Hi John.
Sorry this week's craft fair wasn't too good.

However I have a semi-serious suggestion.
I happened to call in at one of our recently extended Tesco stores (Marks Farm) this afternoon and found they have a facility to print photographs on their plain iced cakes. Presumably this is intended for birthday cakes etc.
Could you print some of your striking landscapes on cakes either for sale or "guess the location" competition?

Just a thought.:rolleyes:*chr

That's not a bad idea, but if my sale don't improve I'll be left with a lot of stale stock. Or get very fat from eating it all myself - my wife thinks I already look like I've swallowed the Langdale Pikes! :D

Just one more craft fair next month which is already booked, then I'm not doing any more. Still got my exhibition in February, but that's really self-indulgence rather than any realistic expectation of making money from it!

theMusicMan
27th November 2011, 08:58 AM
John

A few ideas:

I am with Peter on this one, and feel that one of your prints on a cake with a 'guess the location' type competition running could yield some decent revenue.

My wife suggested instead of post-cards... what about generic birthday or Christmas cards; packs, individual ones, to granny/gramps/special person etc on them

Also, what about taking photos there and then at the fayre... pets/kids/partners etc - not sure if you had considered that as an option.

Just a few thoughts from me. Good luck next month.

Zuiko
27th November 2011, 09:54 AM
John

A few ideas:

I am with Peter on this one, and feel that one of your prints on a cake with a 'guess the location' type competition running could yield some decent revenue.

My wife suggested instead of post-cards... what about generic birthday or Christmas cards; packs, individual ones, to granny/gramps/special person etc on them

Also, what about taking photos there and then at the fayre... pets/kids/partners etc - not sure if you had considered that as an option.

Just a few thoughts from me. Good luck next month.

Hi John, those are all good ideas but I'm not inclined to invest any more time, money or effort into this venture. It was an interesting experiment, to see if it could pay, but for me it just hasn't worked.

Setting up a small studio at the venue does sound like it has possibilities, at least for the outdoor events where there is more room, but I'm not intending to book any more at this stage. :)

Chevvyf1
27th November 2011, 11:04 AM
That's not a bad idea, but if my sale don't improve I'll be left with a lot of stale stock. Or get very fat from eating it all myself - my wife thinks I already look like I've swallowed the Langdale Pikes! :D

Just one more craft fair next month which is already booked, then I'm not doing any more. Still got my exhibition in February, but that's really self-indulgence rather than any realistic expectation of making money from it!

John, I LIKE the Cake with photo on top idea !

I am sure that your "Exhibition" will be a very, very different story ! The "Footfall" for the exhibition will maybe, consist of lots of wealthy Pensioners ! However, given the Winter/Christmas credit card & fuel bills will be landing on the doormat - it would be wise to have a "Retainer" and Payments policy ...

Note : the BIG LEGAL DIFFERENCE between a DEPOSIT and a RETAINER is if the sale fails to complete, for whatever reason, the DEPOSIT, a small payment made in part payment for the goods ... must be repaid
:( so no gain ! Sale of Goods Act

However, a RETAINER is paid to SECURE AN OPTION ON THE GOODS FOR A LIMITED PERIOD OF TIME, eg 3 months ... and does not have to be repaid if the sale fails to complete, as it is a payment for an OPTION TO BUY ! and that is what the Buyer received :) so at least if the sale fails to complete, you have something for your time :) :D :D :D way to go!

So print up some Retainer documents ready to offer viewers who show an interest ! :D