PDA

View Full Version : E-5 arrived today

GRAHAMJ
23rd November 2011, 01:49 PM
Well I finally made my mind up and bought an E-5........only had it 30 mins and WOW!!!!!! Now where was the instruction manual..............blow the book lets start playing.....

cariadus
23rd November 2011, 02:12 PM
I love my E-1
I love my E-1
Trying not to be jealous
I love my E-1

Umm...enjoy :)

Wreckdiver
23rd November 2011, 02:16 PM
Well I finally made my mind up and bought an E-5........only had it 30 mins and WOW!!!!!! Now where was the instruction manual..............blow the book lets start playing.....

Hmmmm.................. you're tempting me *yes

Have fun, not really jealous.

Steve

wanderer
23rd November 2011, 02:28 PM
Have fun. Its a pleasure to play with.
And if you can afford it, try out some nice glass.

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17802
Honest, Ian and Julia are not paying me to plug it.

yorky
23rd November 2011, 02:49 PM
And don't forget to update to Elements 10 at black friday

Internaut
23rd November 2011, 07:37 PM
And don't forget to update to Elements 10 at black friday

Congrats. And agreed with the above. The latest ACR that comes with Elements works very nicely with ORF files from the newer Olympus cameras.

Enjoy the E-5.

Greytop
23rd November 2011, 08:36 PM
Congratulations Graham, nice camera you've got there ;)

Chevvyf1
24th November 2011, 08:39 AM
*chr C o n g r a t u l a t i o n 's *chr

It is a pure joy ! :D and really GETS more out of your glass *yes

paullus
8th December 2011, 05:18 PM
Congratulations!
You have made a great decision.
I've had mine for ten months now and thought I knew my way around it but I've just bought David Busch's Olympus E-5 Guide to Digital SLR Photography from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1435459482
which actually explains so much more than the manual does. Would make a nice stocking filler.
Have fun and enjoy.
Cheers,
Steve

Chevvyf1
8th December 2011, 05:58 PM
Congratulations!
You have made a great decision.
I've had mine for ten months now and thought I knew my way around it but I've just bought David Busch's Olympus E-5 Guide to Digital SLR Photography from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1435459482
which actually explains so much more than the manual does. Would make a nice stocking filler.
Have fun and enjoy.
Cheers,
Steve

Steve - THANKS for this ! on my xmas list now !

David Morison
8th December 2011, 06:16 PM
I have an E30 and for a year now an E5. The E30 is still the camera I use most for subjects which are unlikely to need much cropping and gives stunning results. However for most wildlife (bird) photography which quite often requires large crops the E5 is THE master, the resolution and low noise characteristics are a must as far as I am concerned and it's weatherproofing and functionality make it so desirable.

All I need now is a few extra wongas to upgrade my E30 to another E5!

David

stoates
8th December 2011, 07:27 PM
Congratulations!
I've just bought David Busch's Olympus E-5 Guide to Digital SLR Photography from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1435459482
Steve

My stocking is filled! Thanks Steve, didn't realise this exisisted and really struggling with that awful small print in the manual when I need to reference something.

DerekW
8th December 2011, 08:28 PM
I have a PDF version of the E5 manual that has the hyperlinks working and the viewable page size set correctly - PM me your email address if you want a copy.

GRAHAMJ
9th December 2011, 08:15 AM
Just ordered the David Busch Guide, thanks Steve. Now all I need is the time of work to get to use it!:(

Graham

hruissen
9th December 2011, 08:39 AM
Just ordered the David Busch Guide, thanks Steve. Now all I need is the time of work to get to use it!:(

Graham

Is the book also of use when you own an E30 (which I do)

paullus
9th December 2011, 04:42 PM

Graham

That's great Graham, you will find the E-5 a joy to use and I hope you find the book useful.
Cheers,
Steve.

Hi hruissen.
The honest answer to that question is I really don't know. There are bound to be some common features shared by many different cameras that would be covered in the book e.g. setting white balance and metering.
If you have a specific query though I will happily look in the book to see if it is covered.
Cheers,
Steve.

Wreckdiver
9th December 2011, 05:04 PM

See for yourself, the whole book (bar a few pages) is viewable on the Amazon site.

Steve

paullus
9th December 2011, 07:45 PM
See for yourself, the whole book (bar a few pages) is viewable on the Amazon site.

Steve

And so it is!! just click on 'Look inside' and there you have it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1435459482/#reader_1435459482

paullus
16th December 2011, 11:15 AM

Well Graham, you've had your E-5 for three weeks now, what do you think of it?

Steve.

GRAHAMJ
5th January 2012, 10:03 AM
Well not had much time with it due to work and Xmas, but it is a joy to use. Hints were answered at Xmas with the E5 book. The only problem I have is importing into Lightroom! I have asked for help with that in another thread.

Regards

Graham

Chevvyf1
5th January 2012, 10:13 AM
Welcome to E-5 owners club *chr and the BOOK is magic ! I keep delving into it and discovering lots of things ;I did not know :)

Greytop
5th January 2012, 10:27 AM
I have the book by David Busch too (Christmas P. from my better half) and I have to say it's very good.

David Morison
5th January 2012, 10:52 AM
I have the book by David Busch too (Christmas P. from my better half) and I have to say it's very good.

Same here, it's amazing how much I am learning!

David

jima
5th January 2012, 02:40 PM
+1, thanks to this topic :tup

Having now had a couple of trawls, I wish there was more in depth info on the subject of colour space and CAF/Release Priority/IS interaction settings.

Still very pleased, though!

Chevvyf1
5th January 2012, 03:03 PM
+1, thanks to this topic :tup

Having now had a couple of trawls, I wish there was more in depth info on the subject of colour space and CAF/Release Priority/IS interaction settings.

Still very pleased, though!

I had a problem with CAF and it does not work with certain settings :( ... its logical and inthe E-5 manual :D I forget now but I did post on here in E-5 re CAF

DerekW
5th January 2012, 04:01 PM
you mean the restrictions when in live view

stoates
5th January 2012, 05:51 PM

I also received this book for Christmas and am currently roughly half way through it. I can't enthuse about it as much as others so far, finding the first few chapters a little 'vague'. Yes it describes (in a much clearer format than the Owners Manual) the function of each button and menu option but I was hoping for more guidance (a la Wrotniak) as to which is the 'best' setting and when/why. I was particularly disappointed with the 'Noise' section where I really was looking for the best advice on noise control under various scenarios but was given only the settings available and the suggestion that the Filter could be set to Standard or High, almost ignoring the Low and Off settings (and certainly not confirming other articles I have read that Low is the better option?). Similarly I felt that I required more information as to the best use of the AF Target options than the couple of lines Busch provided on each.

All that said, I am still getting ideas from the book to try (multiple exposures for one) which I probably wouldn't have considered and it is definitely becoming more interesting now I am in to the more practical aspect of using the E-5 (which I love by the way! :)).

Chevvyf1
5th January 2012, 06:35 PM
you mean the restrictions when in live view

Derek YES :D

Chatterbox51
25th April 2013, 11:16 PM
My E-5 arrived the other day. I wanted to find out why the film advance crank handle (just like on my OM1) was missing so I opened up the instruction book. My jaw dropped; I switched the camera on and saw the info screen; jaw dropped a bit more. Browsed this web site, and others about the E-5 and .... As a mature age 'student of photography' I have a big learning curve!! Still, the E-5 feels nice in my none-too-tactile hand (big and sturdy, with buttons I can actually feel) and makes lots of nice, reassuring I'm-really-taking-a-photograph-for-you noises. At the moment I'm just trusting the beast to go to some sort of intelligent auto mode when I switch it on - I'll research (can't say 'read') the handbook from then on !!!!! My brain hurts now; wish me luck.

theMusicMan
26th April 2013, 07:01 AM
Holy thread resurrection :) :)

Good luck Chatterbox51 :) Shout if you have any questions, always many here willing to help and try to answer.

Chevvyf1
26th April 2013, 08:00 AM
My E-5 arrived the other day. I wanted to find out why the film advance crank handle (just like on my OM1) was missing so I opened up the instruction book. My jaw dropped; I switched the camera on and saw the info screen; jaw dropped a bit more. Browsed this web site, and others about the E-5 and .... As a mature age 'student of photography' I have a big learning curve!! Still, the E-5 feels nice in my none-too-tactile hand (big and sturdy, with buttons I can actually feel) and makes lots of nice, reassuring I'm-really-taking-a-photograph-for-you noises. At the moment I'm just trusting the beast to go to some sort of intelligent auto mode when I switch it on - I'll research (can't say 'read') the handbook from then on !!!!! My brain hurts now; wish me luck.

Ahhh! *chr you need to :D download the E-5 BIG MANUAL

Nought wrong with using E-5 on P mode to get a "feel" for the settings - many of us, ME TOO - do/did ! :cool:

E-5 IS A PHENOMINAL BIT OF KIT ! I was Blown away :eek: by the HIGH IQ from my E-1 Zuiko lenses ;) ;) ;) ENJOY! :) and thats an order :)

Chatterbox51
28th April 2013, 05:05 AM
My first E-5 session - I put a few snaps in my Album, including the absolutely first one (mossie coil holders on a table, E-5 instruction book to the side). These were taken in the A mode (now I'll try P) while I played with the apperture and exposure. Seeing how quick and dirty I took these snaps without really knowing what I was doing (e.g I hope it's auto focussing 'cos I ain't), the E-5 certainly looks good so far. It must be a top camera in the right hands (or left, don't discriminate!). Clive, Antipodeas.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Imageryone
28th April 2013, 09:01 AM
Looked at your Album, good start indeed Chris, like the urn and the Kookaburra :)

Chevvyf1
28th April 2013, 04:54 PM
EXCELLENT :) lurve the red hibiscus :)

Chatterbox51
1st May 2013, 10:43 PM
The E-5 'big manual' - is that the David Busch one? I've sent for that one and his guide to digital photography book. I hope they have large print and lots of pictures! I just have to wait for the next Cob & Co stage coach to come through here though - that's if the natives aren't restless. *zzz

Chevvyf1
2nd May 2013, 01:59 AM
The E-5 'big manual' - is that the David Busch one? I've sent for that one and his guide to digital photography book. I hope they have large print and lots of pictures! I just have to wait for the next Cob & Co stage coach to come through here though - that's if the natives aren't restless. *zzz

No ! but google "Olympus E-5 Manual" and you can then download the .pdf file of the bigger manual :) You can print it how you like - A3 and in a HUGE font :D even download it to your phone/tablet - because when you wnat to check something you will be miles away from home and your bookshelf :eek: :eek: :eek:

ps an alternative to "BIG FONTS" are "Bionic Eyes!" as many of us here now have ... see Derek Wright; Peter and myself for recent posts on this :) :cool: very :cool:

Chatterbox51
2nd May 2013, 06:51 AM
Another "is that the one" question. I already have the 165 page instruction manual that came with the camera. Is there an EVEN BIGGER manual for download? Clive. And a PS - is there mail order place in the UK that might supply me with a replacement remote cable connector cap? It'll save me getting a local convict to whittle one!

Chevvyf1
2nd May 2013, 08:39 AM
Another "is that the one" question. I already have the 165 page instruction manual that came with the camera. Is there an EVEN BIGGER manual for download? Clive. And a PS - is there mail order place in the UK that might supply me with a replacement remote cable connector cap? It'll save me getting a local convict to whittle one!

Another one to the A5 one that came with the camera :) there is sooo much to this superb body :cool:

you can order it from the Olympus USA site or just print the pages you want after viewing it in the .pdf :)