PDA

View Full Version : help with my flash gun fl-36

fiona_baker
15th November 2011, 11:01 AM
Hi guys and gals,

I have a slight problem with my fl-36r flash gun.
I have unsed the flash a few times and up until now I have had no problems at all, I have always used it in the auto four thirds setting.

Yesterday I attached it to the hot shoe on my e-510 and for the life of me I could not get it to work, I have checked the pins of the flash and all seem to be ok, I then attached it to the E-1 I have and it works fine.
Is this looking to be a hot shoe problem on my 510 or have I managed to bugger the settings somehow :(
I look forward to your advice

*chr
Fee

DekHog
15th November 2011, 11:18 AM
It does appear to be a hardware problem, but always worth doing a factory reset on the camera and resetting the flash - even take the batteries out of both of them for a while and then try again.... failing that the next best step would be to try and get your hands on another hotshoe flash (anything will do, as long as the voltage is OK) and see if the camera will trigger it....

jamie allan
15th November 2011, 11:24 AM
Fiona,
If the flash is working ok on the E-1 I could only suggest cleaning the contacts on the E-510 with IsoPropyl Alchohol (IPA). I had a similar problem a few weeks ago in that my FL-36 worked on my E-600 but wouldn't on my E-3. I cleaned the contacts but also cleaned both guide rails on the hot shoe of the E-3 and the latter cured the problem. If you look closely at the FL-36 foot just below the securing ring you'll see a silver metal contact either side. This is probably the electrical return path contact. The rails on the shoe on the E-3 had somehow got a covering on them that was probably insulating these contacts from the shoe. Best of luck.

Fiona I've just noticed you are in Glasgow - so am I. If you want another FL-36 to try on your E-510 then let me know and we can arrange something.

fiona_baker
15th November 2011, 11:25 AM
Hi Derek,

I will try the reset on both of them, the camera triggers it ok as a slave off the hotshoe with the built in flash...so its defo working ok, just not on the hotshoe :(

thanks,
Fee

fiona_baker
15th November 2011, 11:34 AM
Hi Jamie,

I will also give that a go, it seems it's defo the hotshoe, I also read they are prone to poor alignment, hopefully I can get it to work :) thanks for the offer if I have no luck I will let you know.

Thanks again guys :)

Fee

fiona_baker
16th November 2011, 04:40 PM
hi guys, a wee update, the flashgun is fine and it works ok on the e-1, last night I set up a speedlight kit with the sender and receiver trigger, everything works ok on the e-1 but it will not trigger on the e-510 so its defo the hotshoe, I have reset the camera and still no joy, the camera has not been used that much so im a bit dissapointed any other ideas guys what might be wrong?

thanks

Fee

fiona_baker
17th November 2011, 01:24 PM
any more ideas guys? hellllpppp

Fiona,
If the flash is working ok on the E-1 I could only suggest cleaning the contacts on the E-510 with IsoPropyl Alchohol (IPA). I had a similar problem a few weeks ago in that my FL-36 worked on my E-600 but wouldn't on my E-3. I cleaned the contacts but also cleaned both guide rails on the hot shoe of the E-3 and the latter cured the problem. If you look closely at the FL-36 foot just below the securing ring you'll see a silver metal contact either side. This is probably the electrical return path contact. The rails on the shoe on the E-3 had somehow got a covering on them that was probably insulating these contacts from the shoe. Best of luck.

Fiona I've just noticed you are in Glasgow - so am I. If you want another FL-36 to try on your E-510 then let me know and we can arrange something.

DekHog
17th November 2011, 02:55 PM
Fiona - there's nothing you personally can do now methinks - you'd have to contact a service centre to get a quote for fixing it, although with the price of the E-510 body these days, the cost of the repair is probably going to grate a bit - if you really need the hotshoe and everything else is OK, it is worth fixing I guess.

fiona_baker
17th November 2011, 04:14 PM
Fiona - there's nothing you personally can do now methinks - you'd have to contact a service centre to get a quote for fixing it, although with the price of the E-510 body these days, the cost of the repair is probably going to grate a bit - if you really need the hotshoe and everything else is OK, it is worth fixing I guess.

Hi Derek,
I think I will undo the 4 small screws and have a wee look under, its never been loose and has hardly been used..can i ask is there any settings on the camera that would stop anything communicate with the hotshoe?

Thaaaankkkkssss

Fee