PDA

View Full Version : Day Out London 17th May

Zuiko
9th May 2008, 11:05 PM
Day Out - London - 17th May, organised by FOUR THIRDS USER SITE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following the Woburn Meet, which was a great success thanks to all those who attended, it's now time to finalise details for our LONDON MEET on SATURDAY 17TH MAY.

We will be meeting at the Bush & Fields Cafe in Museum Street (off Great Russell Street, near the British Museum) between 9.00 and 10.00am.

Our first location will be the British Museum, after which we can move on to Covent Garden or some of the many nearby open spaces and squares, such as Greys Inn, Lincolns Inn or Russell Square.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE COMING, EITHER BY POSTING ON THIS THREAD OR BY PRIVATE MESSAGE. IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY SAID YOU ARE COMMING, PLEASE RE-CONFIRM I look forward to meeting any of you who were on the Woburn Meet again and others for the first time. Members of E-System User Group will, of course, also be most welcome.__________________

John Perriment

theMusicMan
9th May 2008, 11:31 PM
Hey John, I've made this a sticky for ya, hopefully can attract a little more attention then.

Zuiko
10th May 2008, 12:14 AM
Hey John, I've made this a sticky for ya, hopefully can attract a little more attention then.

Cheers! :)

John

Ian
13th May 2008, 11:07 AM
I'm picking up an E-520 today and so I will be able to bring it to the meet on Saturday :)

Ian

j.baker
13th May 2008, 12:46 PM
Ian,

The email that I had regarding this event started

"
Dear 114,

London photo expedition this Saturday
"

I am a name not a number ;)

Ian
13th May 2008, 01:00 PM
Ooops - I think that's my mistake :o

There is a variable for the mailing called $username, but I think I used $userid instead :(

I'll have to send an apology now...

Ian

Ian,

The email that I had regarding this event started

"
Dear 114,

London photo expedition this Saturday
"

alert_bri
13th May 2008, 01:15 PM

Shouldn't that quote be "I am not a number, I'm a free man!"... I wonder who was number 6 in that mailing! lol

Kind Regards

220 ;)

Ian
13th May 2008, 01:40 PM
Ooops - I think that's my mistake :o

There is a variable for the mailing called $username, but I think I used $userid instead :(

I'll have to send an apology now...

Ian

Even worse - I did the same thing on an FTU maililng this morning and there are nearly 1,800 members there!

My excuse - I'm not 100% today; seem to be experiencing hay fever symptoms for the very first time :(

Ian

HughofBardfield
13th May 2008, 02:52 PM
:mad: Not my week, this: I would love to be there but She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me I'll be in Yorkshire, visiting the Outlaws.

Zuiko
13th May 2008, 09:05 PM
:mad: Not my week, this: I would love to be there but She Who Must Be Obeyed tells me I'll be in Yorkshire, visiting the Outlaws.

That's a shame Hugh, but hope you still find a few moments to take some pics. :D

Maybe we'll catch you on the next meet (yet to be arranged). We could probably travel together as I live not a million miles from Bardfield!

John

Zuiko
13th May 2008, 09:11 PM
Anyone else fancy joining us in London on Saturday to try the new E520 (plus lots of other goodies) AND take some awesome pictures around the British Museum and Covent Garden?

John Perriment

jchallen
14th May 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the invite, sadly I will not be able to make it as I will be visiting the British Touring Car races at Thruxton this weekend (and I hope, learning a little about motorsports photography!).

However it sounds like it will be an excellent day and I'm sure I would have found it useful as I held off from upgrading my E500 to an E510 pending the new E520. Having looked at the specs I am now not so sure (I was hoping for a moving screen).

If there’s enough demand for another day to be arranged within striking distance of Herts count me in so I can make my mind up once and for all.

Hope everyone who is going has a great time and gets some keepers, there are some fantastic buildings around that area and when shot from the various Thames bridges you can find some unobstructed views.

Jason.

shirley
14th May 2008, 06:59 PM
Hi John,
If the Woburn day is anything to go by you will all have a fantastic day. I wish I could be with you but my daughter is coming home for the weekend and as she cant get home very often I'm afraid she wins - even the thought of the new E520 cant compete, especially as we might have to go on a girly shop to MK:D
Have a wonderful time and if another event is arranged I will certainly attempt to be there.
Shirley

JohnGG
14th May 2008, 09:03 PM
Like Shirley, I would like to have been there but one of my daughters has thrown a spanner in the works as well; we will be hosting 5 (or 6 or 7, tbc) screaming 12/13 year-olds for a birthday sleep-over :eek: I think I might sneak off for the girly shop in MK :D

Have a great day and, if you get down as far as Covent Garden, try and go the extra half mile to the river by Charing Cross as there are some great opportunities there, particularly the foot bridges and views of the London Eye and the Palace of Westminster.

Cheers,

JohnGG

HughofBardfield
15th May 2008, 09:41 AM
That's a shame Hugh, but hope you still find a few moments to take some pics. :D

Maybe we'll catch you on the next meet (yet to be arranged). We could probably travel together as I live not a million miles from Bardfield!

John

The camera always goes in the car for outlaws visits :) - their house is about 50 metres from the Pennine Way and the Rochdale Canal, so if the light is right-ish, there's usually something!

Will hope to make the next get-together - and yes, that sounds like a great idea! *yes

Hope all who can make it have a great day!

Ian
15th May 2008, 04:48 PM
Last minute additions to the group are welcome :)

Saturday looks like being dry, and (fingers crossed) I will have a Panasonic Leica 14-150 with me on the day :D

Ian

Andrew Riddell
15th May 2008, 06:35 PM
It's 50/50 that I'll make it, but if I do I should have a 7-14 with me (in case Ian can't get his hands on one).

PM sent to John.

Andrew

Zuiko
15th May 2008, 08:55 PM
:It's 50/50 that I'll make it, but if I do I should have a 7-14 with me (in case Ian can't get his hands on one).

PM sent to John.

Andrew

I didn't know they were announcing the result of the "People" competition on FTU quite so soon! :D:D:D:D:D

John

theMusicMan
15th May 2008, 09:01 PM
Very, VERY quick Mr P.

Excellent wit I must admit - that wins an award on its own I'd say... :)

Zuiko
15th May 2008, 09:28 PM
Very, VERY quick Mr P.

Excellent wit I must admit - that wins an award on its own I'd say... :)

Thanks John,

Can I have an E3 please? :D:D:D:D:D:D

Andrew Riddell
15th May 2008, 10:10 PM
:

I didn't know they were announcing the result of the "People" competition on FTU quite so soon! :D:D:D:D:D

John

OK, smartie:D It's not me that has the contacts:rolleyes: - wish I did! Anyway, people are not my favourite subject - selfish things keep moving;) - prefer buildings, but if they start moving, you run:eek:

Hope to see you on Saturday

Andrew

Zuiko
15th May 2008, 10:55 PM
OK, smartie:D It's not me that has the contacts:rolleyes: - wish I did! Anyway, people are not my favourite subject - selfish things keep moving;) - prefer buildings, but if they start moving, you run:eek:

Hope to see you on Saturday

Andrew

No, I didn't enter the People competition either. I prefer landscapes, but same applies as with buildings if they move.....:D

Cheers,

John

Ian
16th May 2008, 08:50 AM
It's 50/50 that I'll make it, but if I do I should have a 7-14 with me (in case Ian can't get his hands on one).

PM sent to John.

Andrew

Hi Andrew - you will be a sight for sore eyes (with your 7-14 :D) as it's very unlikely I will have one for tomorrow. But I will have the 14-35 f/2 again as that's back after Olympus needed the first one I had.

This is the list of gear I will be bringing, probably:

12-60
E-3 w/ HLD-4 grip
50 macro
50-200 SWD
EC-14 1.4x converter
14-35 f/2
11-22
E-520 w/14-42 and 40-150 mk2
E-420
25 pancake
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 w/14-50 Vario Elmar
Panasonic Leica 14-150 (28-300 equiv)

I'm thinking twice about the 90-250 as it will be of limited use in the city environment - but if anyone would like me to bring this lens, I will.

Ian

Ian
16th May 2008, 08:52 AM
Hi Andrew - you will be a sight for sore eyes (with your 7-14 :D) as it's very unlikely I will have one for tomorrow. But I will have the 14-35 f/2 again as that's back after Olympus needed the first one I had.

This is the list of gear I will be bringing, probably:

12-60
E-3 w/ HLD-4 grip
50 macro
50-200 SWD
EC-14 1.4x converter
14-35 f/2
11-22
E-520 w/14-42 and 40-150 mk2
E-420
25 pancake
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 w/14-50 Vario Elmar
Panasonic Leica 14-150 (28-300 equiv)

I'm thinking twice about the 90-250 as it will be of limited use in the city environment - but if anyone would like me to bring this lens, I will.

Ian

I'm also not going to bring a tripod or monopod - this will be a good test for the various IS solutions at our disposal, where required!

Ian

andym
16th May 2008, 07:53 PM
See you in the morning hangover permitting!!

Ps I;m not bring any long lenses,only the 12-60,50mm,Ec14.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th May 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi,

I'll have my 7-14 with me.

Very interested in (with intention of purchase) the 50 f/2.0 & the 14-35

Looking forward to meeting you all :)

Graham

Barr1e
16th May 2008, 09:01 PM
I shall be travelling light - kit lenses only. Hoping to try out a couple that Ian is bringing.

Regards. Barr1e

Graham_of_Rainham
17th May 2008, 05:56 PM
Thanks to John for setting this up and to Ian for "Lugging" all that kit along for us to play with.

Having been handed the new E-520, my first and worst instinct was to try to take a photo with it without any instruction what-so-ever.

Without even considering for a moment what would happen, I switched it on and pointed it at the nearest people to see if the face recognition worked.

As if by magic, it instantly recognised two well known faces and homed in on them. The speed with which it locked onto them was very impressive. But what is so much more impresive is that this image was taken at 1/5th of a second. :eek:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5179042_websize.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5343)

In the true sprit of a rank amature with a new toy, only after having taken the shot, I looked to see what the camera was setup for. Of course the last user had left it in the most obscure mode that can be achieved.

Having calmed down from the excitement of "the new toy", I reset it to something more normal and went off to see what it can do once I'd put my brain in gear again.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5179043_websize.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5344)

OK that's better, now all I needed was something better looking :D

Bottom line (for now anyway) It was a brilliant day out which I really enjoyed, thanks almost entirely to the great bunch of guys that were there.

Regards to all

Graham

Zuiko
17th May 2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks to John for setting this up and to Ian for "Lugging" all that kit along for us to play with.

Having been handed the new E-520, my first and worst instinct was to try to take a photo with it without any instruction what-so-ever.

Without even considering for a moment what would happen, I switched it on and pointed it at the nearest people to see if the face recognition worked.

As if by magic, it instantly recognised two well known faces and homed in on them. The speed with which it locked onto them was very impressive. But what is so much more impresive is that this image was taken at 1/5th of a second. :eek:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5179042_websize.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5343)

In the true sprit of a rank amature with a new toy, only after having taken the shot, I looked to see what the camera was setup for. Of course the last user had left it in the most obscure mode that can be achieved.

Having calmed down from the excitement of "the new toy", I reset it to something more normal and went off to see what it can do once I'd put my brain in gear again.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/P5179043_websize.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5344)

Bottom line (for now anyway) It was a brilliant day out which I really enjoyed, thanks almost entirely to the great bunch of guys that were there.

Regards to all

Graham

Hi Graham,

It was a pleasure to meet you. I hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did. We'll do it again soon!

John

swazon
18th May 2008, 05:22 PM

Graham[/QUOTE]

The 520 must be robust as it still functioned after taking that "normal" picture:)
I think you found a prettier subject at the lunch table.

John,

Thanks for organising the great day out.
Robin