PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 12-60 problem?

tommy781
6th November 2011, 10:46 AM
Hi, I have this fantastic lens by 3 years and it work fine but...lately it is a bit "rough" if you understand...and I feel a little sound in it. The lens isn't fall or similar, can have a problem or after 3 years of intensive use with all meteo condition can be normal?

zuiko-holic
6th November 2011, 02:43 PM
Sounds normal to me.

Even without intensive use, the rubber and soft plastic parts start to deteriorate after some years on any lens.

As long as the lens still focuses and zooms fast and accurately, you're fine.

Wreckdiver
6th November 2011, 03:04 PM
A couple of years my 12-60mm developed a problem where the zoom would jam at a particular point and there was a something loose rattling inside. A/some screw(s) had come free. The lens was quickly repaired under warranty by Olympus. My 50-200mm (mk1) did the same thing with screws coming loose and the lens coming apart in the middle.

Steve

Jim Ford
6th November 2011, 03:37 PM
About once a year I apply some dry silicone lubricant to the barrels of my lenses, to keep the operation smooth. It makes a huge difference in operation and repels water. From the 'silky' feel of a new lens, I suspect a silicone treatment is used in manufacture.

This is the one I use:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/silicone-spray-lubricant-400ml-223403

I don't spray it directly, but spray it onto a tissue and wipe the barrel with it. I also wipe the lens hood bayonets with it, which makes them much easier to fit and remove.

Jim

tommy781
6th November 2011, 04:24 PM
About once a year I apply some dry silicone lubricant to the barrels of my lenses, to keep the operation smooth. It makes a huge difference in operation and repels water. From the 'silky' feel of a new lens, I suspect a silicone treatment is used in manufacture.

This is the one I use:

I don't spray it directly, but spray it onto a tissue and wipe the barrel with it. I also wipe the lens hood bayonets with it, which makes them much easier to fit and remove.

Jim

this is a good idea.

tommy781
6th November 2011, 04:53 PM
ok, with your system the sensation of rough is disappeared and the sound is very light!

Wreckdiver
6th November 2011, 04:58 PM

This is the one I use:

Jim
I would be a bit careful with these "general purpose" greases.
I use silicone grease on the O rings on my underwater housings. It it critical I use only the manufacturers specified grease as the wrong stuff will degrade the O rings with disasterous results.

All silicone greases aren't equal :eek:

Just a thought.

Steve

Jim Ford
7th November 2011, 04:40 PM
I would be a bit careful with these "general purpose" greases.

The compound I listed can hardly be called a 'grease', it's so dry. When you apply it to a tissue there is no discernible greasiness. I've used it for around 5 years on my Olympus lenses.

I use silicone grease on the O rings on my underwater housings. It it critical I use only the manufacturers specified grease as the wrong stuff will degrade the O rings with disasterous results.

All silicone greases aren't equal :eek:

I've used silicone greases in various forms over many years, and never met one that reacted with natural rubber, or synthetics such as nitrile and 'Viton'. Silicone compounds are characterised by their low chemical reactivity.

Jim