PDA

View Full Version : Courses by Yours Truly

Ian
31st October 2011, 05:37 PM
I know I have been talking about this for ages and I have had a steady stream of emails following up, so I am now formally announcing that, if there is enough interest, I will be offering one day courses at an introductory price of 89 inc.VAT . Subjects for each course, at our offices in Hemel Hempstead, including a light lunch and refreshments, are:

Get the most out of your Olympus DSLR

Get the most out of your Olympus Pen compact system camera

Discover the brilliance of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Other courses can be built if there is enough interest.

We have a fully kitted out classroom with big screens and, when required, networked workstations

These courses are all aimed at people who have got to a certain basic level of expertise but wish to step up to the next level.

I'm looking at dates from mid-end November and early December.

I'll publish more detailed information about the course contents shortly.

To make this economic, we will require at least ten attendees per course.

Ian

Richard
2nd November 2011, 09:37 AM
Interested in "Get the most out of your Olympus DSLR"
December probably better than Nov.

Ian
2nd November 2011, 10:21 AM
Interested in "Get the most out of your Olympus DSLR"
December probably better than Nov.

Thanks Richard.

The plan would be cover all the controls, explaining each one individually, plus menus and other on-screen aids, including the Super Control Panel, set up options, programming buttons and using custom settings.

We would also cover the use of the various autofocus and exposure modes.

The surrounding area is quite photogenic (Grand Union Canal) so we could also go for a short shooting tour and then return to evaluate results.

I will have a large range of E-System lenses on hand for everyone to try.

Of course I would be on hand to answer any questions, and we can also talk about software, like Lightroom and Olympus Viewer 2 if required.

Ian

Phill D
2nd November 2011, 09:17 PM
Ian when will you be posting specific dates for these courses? Oh and what will the start and finish times be?

jchallen
4th November 2011, 12:04 AM
Hi Ian,

I would be interested in the PEN and DSLR courses (when they are finalised), subject to date and time v work constraints etc.

Thanks.

Grumpy Hec
4th November 2011, 07:44 AM
Hi Ian

Interested in the DSLR and Lightroom courses.

It would be fascinating to discover the real possibilities buried in the menu system and Lightroom I'm just starting to get some idea of but that's a huge subject in it's own right.

cheers

Hec

Rocknroll59
27th November 2011, 11:31 AM
Would be interested in the 'DSLR' course!! Any further news??

Peter

spn0923
27th November 2011, 07:44 PM
me too dates permitting

AndyMor
8th December 2011, 08:50 AM
I will be interested in the DSLR and especially the Lightroom courses, subject to dates as it is a way to travel. My Wife may be interested too, if non-members will be allowed!

Regards, Andy

stanlepf
8th December 2011, 09:48 AM
Interested in DSLR course..

1948Kustom
8th December 2011, 08:12 PM
Re;Courses by Yours Truly.

I'm interested in the PEN course, let me know when things are a bit more organised re-dates etc.
I've now got some 'freetime' as I don't have a job at present !

stevewestern
20th April 2014, 07:46 AM
A bit of a thread revival but I too would be interested in learning more about my EM1 and lightroom if you are still planning these courses Ian.

1948Kustom
20th April 2014, 08:32 AM
I'm still interested in PEN courses & Lightroom, plus any up and coming test & try days for the OM-D EM10 and Stylus 1 cameras.

Let me know if there will be any happening in the future.

Many thanks.

Zuiko
20th April 2014, 09:37 AM
A bit of a thread revival but I too would be interested in learning more about my EM1 and lightroom if you are still planning these courses Ian.

Better plan for the E-M2 course! ;)

............and Lightroom 7. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

Imageryone
20th April 2014, 10:55 AM
Ian,,are the classes to be ALL Dslrs, or just the EM-1, EM10 etc ?

Imageryone
20th April 2014, 02:50 PM
A quick check above on the date of Ian's original post shows this thread is around two and a half years old and the OMD EM-1 and EM10 hadn't been invented yet :D:D:D

Whoops !!! :D at least I can blame someone else for kickstarting it again :D

Ian
21st April 2014, 09:46 AM
I am getting closer to running these courses! :)

I am now looking at dates starting around the end of July - for Olympus camera user training and Lightroom training.

If you would be interested in either of these subjects could you email me at admin (at) e-group.uk.net please? These courses would be held at our office in Hemel Hempstead (Apsley to me more precise).

It's quite a step to plan and execute courses like these and I want to ensure they are 100% right!

Ian

shotokan101
21st April 2014, 12:16 PM
Too far for me Ian but I wish you every success and look forward to hearing some feedback :)

Jim

Phill D
21st April 2014, 05:20 PM
Depending on dates I'd like to go for the Lightroom one. I could claim it was a Birthday present.

skids
21st April 2014, 05:42 PM
email sent Ian.

spn0923
21st April 2014, 07:01 PM
email sent too. interested in both

Ian
22nd April 2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks for your interest :)

I have replied to all the emails I have received and to answer a question that came up, our office is just across the road from Apsley train station and London Midland trains take 30 minutes from Euston or you can come the other way from the Midlands.

You can even stay here as we have a Holiday Inn Express next door to us :)

Ian

stevewestern
22nd April 2014, 09:20 PM
Whoops !!! :D at least I can blame someone else for kickstarting it again :D

You can blame me, but I did say it was a thread revival, and clearly for something that many think could be valuable..!

Seems that anything worth waiting for from Olympus takes time to reach the public - maybe Ian can bring along a few of the long awaited zooms to the courses :D

Ian
23rd April 2014, 05:28 PM
I am getting a fair amount of interest for both Lightroom and Olympus courses but I am also wondering if folks think it's a combined course - which is not the case. The plan is for two separate courses and will likely be mid-morning to mid-afternoon in length, including a break for lunch.

Ian

StephenL
23rd April 2014, 07:00 PM
Sounds good to me. :)

Rocknroll59
23rd April 2014, 07:19 PM
Well I would be interested....to gain more out of my well loved EM-1 would be well worth the journey, I will get around to emailing you Ian

Cheers

Peter

Imageryone
25th April 2014, 10:37 PM
E-mail sent, Ian.

Ian
29th April 2014, 10:23 AM
Here is a brief summary of the aims of the courses I'm developing:

Get to Know Your Olympus System Camera - covers Four Thirds, Pen and OM-D as well as how Olympus fits in Micro Four Thirds with Panasonic and others.

This course is aimed at anyone who feels they aren't getting the most of their camera or are new to the system and are looking for a fast-track to familiarising themselves with their gear and the system.

Lightroom - Getting Over the Learning Curve - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and similar solutions have revolutionised the way photographs work with their images but if you are only used to the traditional way of editing images separately in Photoshop or similar, Lightroom-style software can be counter-intuitive and intimidating.

The primary aim of this course is to get users over the considerable learning curve that Lightroom-style software presents new users. It's a challenge worth meeting and not as hard as you'd think given the right assistance and insight. I can guarantee that mastering the basics will make you wonder why you hadn't switched sooner.

These courses will be run on a professional and commercial basis, so we will be charging a fee but I hope that you will find them good value. Olympus does have discount voucher system that I believe we can be part of so adding even better value - more on that later.

Comments and questions are very welcome!

Ian

Ian
29th April 2014, 10:36 AM
Ian,,are the classes to be ALL Dslrs, or just the EM-1, EM10 etc ?

The emphasis will be on Pens and OM-Ds but much of the information to be covered is common to both and I am quite happy to devote some time to specific Four Thirds DSLR issues as required.

Ian

stevewestern
29th April 2014, 11:11 AM
I have never used Lightroom - I currently use ACDSee pro5 and have used their software ever since my first attempt at photoshop about 15 years ago left me depressed and confused..
Is Lightroom very different/worth the change - anyone know ?

Certainly a day spent learning more about my EM1 would be great, and the Lightroom course might well be worth attending as well - I guess I ought to download a trial at some stage..

Phill D
29th April 2014, 08:37 PM
I'd certainly like to do both but the Lightroom one would be easiest for me to justify as I tried it a while ago and just didn't get anywhere hence I've probably got the most potential for learning from that one. The camera one is more difficult to justify to myself as I've played around a lot already although I'm sure I'd enjoy it. For me it's probably going to come down to price although Olympus vouchers may just tip the balance and help offset travel costs.

Ian
30th April 2014, 02:23 PM
I will have to do a special offer price on a second course :)

Ian

stevewestern
30th April 2014, 03:07 PM
A kind of Buy-one-get-one-free..?

Phill D
30th April 2014, 08:33 PM
Now that's a good idea :)

Ian
1st May 2014, 02:46 PM
A kind of Buy-one-get-one-free..?

FREE?! :D:eek::rolleyes:

Ian

Wee man
1st May 2014, 07:03 PM
Ian this is a fictional concept were goods or services are obtained without payment!

Ian
2nd May 2014, 07:57 AM
Ian this is a fictional concept were goods or services are obtained without payment!

Anyone expecting this can... bog-off! :D

Ian

iso
18th July 2016, 05:21 PM
Hi - I am picking up this very old thread because I would like to know the current situation re 'Training Days', (with anyone). I am a new member and new owner of an M5 Mkll, and new to M43. 50 yrs Pentax experience though. So I am looking for some hands on help to get the best from this great kit.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Paul (iso).

Ian
18th July 2016, 08:12 PM
Well - if we can get at least 15 people signed up for, say 50 each and we can all agree on a date I will commit to a running a day's course on getting up and running with Olympus Micro Four Thirds cameras. There, I said it! Including refreshments and a light lunch. This is dependent on the venue I have had in mind in Hemel Hempstead being available. Over to you guys!

Ian

Wee man
18th July 2016, 11:05 PM
Sorry air fare etc make it cost too much but would have loved to have attended. Hope all well with you Ian.

Ian
19th July 2016, 09:04 AM
This is always a problem. If there was enough interest in your neck of the woods of course I'd be up for it.

Ian

PS I'm fine - more to the point I hope you are well too! :)

Sorry air fare etc make it cost too much but would have loved to have attended. Hope all well with you Ian.

Wee man
19th July 2016, 09:27 AM
Yes all well,hope these courses work out well for you.

Wee Man

Phill D
19th July 2016, 12:23 PM
How about doing them as web casts as well then many more of us could join in without travelling. Reduced cost but more attendees to maximise your returns Ian? just a thought.

Ian
19th July 2016, 12:49 PM
How about doing them as web casts as well then many more of us could join in without travelling. Reduced cost but more attendees to maximise your returns Ian? just a thought.

Interesting idea. Will have a good think :)

Ian

Imageryone
19th July 2016, 12:59 PM
And record on to DvD so we can buy copies as well. Ian ?

iso
19th July 2016, 05:03 PM
Hi Ian,
I would certainly be up for that idea, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a rush for tickets:(

Zuiko
19th July 2016, 06:23 PM
Hi Ian,
I would certainly be up for that idea, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be a rush for tickets:(

It might be worth starting a new thread, as this one is a little out of date. :)

Phill D
19th July 2016, 09:25 PM
Count me in for a web cast or whatever you are going to call it.
I agree John if this is going to take off it ought to have a new thread.