PDA

View Full Version : And the Winner is.....5th E-Group Challenge

ianc
7th May 2008, 05:16 PM
Well the votes are in and have been counted so in traditional Miss World style here are the results in reverse order.

3rd place goes to knikki with: A Study of a Plastic Sheet.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/601/A_study_of_a_plastic_Sheet.jpeg

2nd place goes to Scapula with: Spinning Centrepin.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/601/Spinning_Centrepin.jpg

And the winner is, drum roll, theMusicMan with his entry Hustle Bustle.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/601/Hustle_Bustle.jpg

Congratulations to John and the other winners. *please I would like to thank all the entrants for the outstanding quality of their pictures, to my mind you are all winners, and their understanding as we ironed out problems about EXIF data. It has been a pleasure to be the moderator of this Challenge.

So now it's over to you John.

Ian C.*chr

Barr1e
7th May 2008, 05:39 PM
Congratulations John.....

......and too Scapula and knikki.

Regards. Barr1e

emirpprime
7th May 2008, 06:37 PM
Congratulations John! Great shot. The runners up weren't half bad too :D
Phil

knikki
7th May 2008, 08:46 PM
Well done John a very worth winner and the one I would have voted for as well :D

j.baker
8th May 2008, 08:19 AM
Congrats to all.

theMusicMan
8th May 2008, 09:29 AM
Wow - many thanks everyone, some excellent entries again this challenge.

So OK, I will now have a think about setting up the 6th e-group challenge, am a tad busy today but I imagine by tomorrow evening I will be able to have it all set up and running. Look out for the announcement in the usual location...

Thanks again, and well done all...

steverh
8th May 2008, 11:33 AM

So OK, I will now have a think about setting up the 6th e-group challenge, am a tad busy today but I imagine by tomorrow evening I will be able to have it all set up and running. Look out for the announcement in the usual location...

Well done John - a great image, and a worthy winner in some strong competition! I loved the saturated colours, they worked very well with the blurred figures.

Ian
8th May 2008, 01:04 PM

Well done John :)

For someone who only took up photography seriously last year, you're doing great!

Ian

theMusicMan
8th May 2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the comments Steve and Ian and all.

I thought to provide a little added interest, that I'd provide a little background to the image for you.

It was taken in Paddington station around 5:15'ish in the evening just as the rush hour commenced. For those who know Paddington station, it was taken above the entrance to the underground, where I stood lent up tightly against the lamp pillar in the middle of the area directly above the steps. I took the shot handheld - one of the strengths of the E-3 is the use of IS in long exposures.

The one criticism I have of the image is that I waited and waited for there to be 'balance' of people on each side of the steps, alas it never happened. They either all went up the left hand side or down the right hand side...!! This was the best I could capture for 'people balance'. I did crop the image - only slightly though, in order to straighten it.

I used 'Vivid' mode on my E-3, and on this mode I have also changed some of the default settings and upped the saturation, contrast and focus slightly to gain that saturated, higher contrast and higher focus look :)

I did a little further sharpening in Lightroom for the web sized image and voila - the result is what you see here.

Thanks for the comments, I am looking forward to setting up the next challenge - maybe this evening, but probably tomorrow.

Zuiko
8th May 2008, 09:16 PM
Well done John :)

For someone who only took up photography seriously last year, you're doing great!
Ian

I keep forgetting that! A beginner in terms of time but his photos speak years of experience. He seems to have an invisible touch, yeah! ;)

John

theMusicMan
8th May 2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks John, that's just the thing with photography, it reaches in and grabs right hold of your heart eh! :)

Zuiko
8th May 2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks John, that's just the thing with photography, it reaches in and grabs right hold of your heart eh! :)

Not like work, which takes control and slowly tears you apart! ;)

John

Ellie
9th May 2008, 08:18 PM
Well done to Musicman, Scapula and Knikki. Jolly good pictures *chr