PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Hoya Pro 1 UV filters

Phill D
27th October 2011, 07:02 AM
Does anyone know the differences between these two Hoya Pro 1 UV filters I've seen on ebay. Both seem to fit the Hoya descriptive words but the blue box one seems to have the latest Hoya website acronyms so is the black box one just older packaging? or is there a real difference in the filters? Prices seem to be pretty similar.

Phill D
29th October 2011, 06:28 AM
Does anyone have any thoughts?

OlyPaul
29th October 2011, 07:27 AM
The difference is the top one is a new design for digital and the lower one was what was sold for film cameras. Is there any difference? I could not tell you.

I'm not a believer in putting another layer of glass (that was not in the lens design) in front of the optical path of a good lens (a good lens hood will protect the front element from damage).

But on the rare occasions I do (in really bad condidition) than I just use my Hoya filters from my film days.

Phill D
29th October 2011, 08:28 AM
Paul that's brilliant thanks. I'd not thought of a film to digital difference. As for using UV filters I've tended to use them just for peace of mind I guess and hopefully to improve any hazy shots although I don't know if they do actually work as the manufacturers claim.

David M
29th October 2011, 11:00 AM
Actually you should buy one of each, then stack the photo one on top of the digital one.

That way the "special" digital version is protected by the regular photo version.

Phill D
30th October 2011, 07:16 AM
Nice idea David but some how I don't think I'll ever get that cautious ;). I suspect there is little difference between the filters and having a "made for digital" badge is largely sales flannel. I'm willing to be proved wrong though from anyone who knows.

StephenL
30th October 2011, 07:25 AM
I've got a few for sale if anyone's interested. When I get chance I'll post them on the correct forum!

David Morison
30th October 2011, 07:31 AM
I know we've had a discussion before and that opinion is divided on whether a UV or protection filter, even high grade, in front of a lens could affect IQ. Has any work ever been done on testing lenses with and without filter? Also do any lens manufacturers recommend or advise against a UV or protection filter? Indeed do any manufacturers make or sell such a filter apart from the ND or CPL filters that are inserted behind some SHG telephoto lenses? I am willing to be proved wrong but perhaps it just comes down to personal preference. A bit of science could perhaps help us in this.

David

Phill D
30th October 2011, 08:03 AM
I just found out about some exploding Hoya CP filters :eek:
Just Google and see what comes up. It adds a new dimension to the do I need a filter to protect my expensive glass debate.

David Morison
30th October 2011, 12:35 PM
[QUOTE=David Morison;Has any work ever been done on testing lenses with and without filter? Also do any lens manufacturers recommend or advise against a UV or protection filter? Indeed do any manufacturers make or sell such a filter apart from the ND or CPL filters that are inserted behind some SHG telephoto lenses? I am willing to be proved wrong but perhaps it just comes down to personal preference. A bit of science could perhaps help us in this.

David[/QUOTE]

Just located this article, not science but at least a bit more to think about!

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

David

David M
30th October 2011, 12:52 PM
I know we've had a discussion before and that opinion is divided on whether a UV or protection filter, even high grade, in front of a lens could affect IQ. Has any work ever been done on testing lenses with and without filter? Also do any lens manufacturers recommend or advise against a UV or protection filter? Indeed do any manufacturers make or sell such a filter apart from the ND or CPL filters that are inserted behind some SHG telephoto lenses? I am willing to be proved wrong but perhaps it just comes down to personal preference. A bit of science could perhaps help us in this.

David

I discovered some time in the 80's how much an expensive Hoya degraded image quality and haven't used a protective filter since.