PDA

View Full Version : ND gard filters

Adagio
25th October 2011, 02:22 PM
I am persuaded that I should invest in one or two ND grad filters and am not quite sure where to start. I want to fit them my ED 12-60.

Any advice/recommendations will be gratefully received.

Swordfish
25th October 2011, 04:59 PM
I use a Cokin P series ND2 and ND4 Grad on my 12-60mm and find them pretty good; the prices are fairly reasonable too.

Martin

Adagio
26th October 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks Martin - do you use the wide angle adaptor/holder?

David M
26th October 2011, 10:46 AM
I use a Cokin P series ND2 and ND4 Grad on my 12-60mm and find them pretty good; the prices are fairly reasonable too.

Martin

Unless something's changed Cokin don't make P size ND Grads, they're grey grads and can have a quite considerable colour shift.

I have Hitech hard and soft edged ND grads used in a regular Cokin P holder plus a second holder with the outside two slots cut off for use with wide angle lenses.

Swordfish
26th October 2011, 04:59 PM
You are quite right David, it is a grey grad, but I don't find the colour a problem.

I haven't found it necessary to use a wide angle adaptor, but I do screw the holder direct to the lens i.e. I remove the UV filter that is usually on my lens first.

Martin

wanderer
26th October 2011, 07:25 PM
I use Cokin Z ND grads on the 12-60.
The only slight down is a little vignetting at the 12.
They have a reputation for a colour twist.
I have found that if 2 are used in combination, a reddish tinge can be apparent on the toned down area.
I bought the 3 filter kit as this was cheaper and included the holder but not the adaptor for the lens. The saving was about 30.

David M
26th October 2011, 11:08 PM
You are quite right David, it is a grey grad, but I don't find the colour a problem.

I haven't found it necessary to use a wide angle adaptor, but I do screw the holder direct to the lens i.e. I remove the UV filter that is usually on my lens first.

Martin

I think the problem with the Cokin grey grads is that they vary enormously batch to batch. Some are close to neutral, a lot seem to cause magenta casts and some users complain of a green cast.