PDA

View Full Version : Andrzej Wrotniak on the Olympus 70-300mm lens...

theMusicMan
6th May 2008, 08:45 PM
... and what a glowing report he provides too. Many here will know that I am totally in love with this lens and have managed to get some great image quality with it. It seems Andrzej likes it too... have a read.

Thanks to Chillimonster for the link...

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/zd-070-300.html

shenstone
6th May 2008, 09:14 PM
A goof fair review. As usual he is methodical and precise in his tests and clear in his comments. Not a lot more to say - as he say's it's one to have in your bag... I love mine !

Regards
Andy

akwaaba
6th May 2008, 09:46 PM
I just read it, from a link in another forum. Very interesting - and helpful for a beginner like myself. Especially as I have not had much chance to use this lens very much.

Zuiko
6th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Funny how events sometimes coincide to make a decision for you. I've just returned from a weekend where the limitations of my legacy manual focus 300mm f4.5 Nikkor (fitted via an adaptor to my E510) were very apparent.

Focusing is tricky but usually possible to get spot on with care for static subjects, such as this owl at a sanctuary that I visited.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/OWL_6_r_s.jpg

But try a bird in flight and it takes a lot of patience and many, many failed attempts before you get one right, like this gull photographed at a nature reserve.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Gull_e_r_s.jpg

But when something not often repeated happens, oh how I wish for a lens of this length with autofocus! This shot of a Grebe in the act of diving (at the same reserve as the gull) was the result of a fortuitous peice of timing on my part. But, oh dear, it's almost in focus but not quite.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Diving_Grebe_copy_e_r_s.jpg

Viewing the result, I remember the superbly sharp image of John's (theMusicMan) Puffin in flight, taken with the 70-300mm.

Then comes this link to Wrotniak's very favourable review of the same lens.....

I think these three factors combined are going to prove expensive for me. I'd love a Bigma, or even a Sigma 135-400, but both these lenses are more expensive than the Oly and considerably heavier. The 70-300 I could walk around with all day and still have a high magnification (600mm equivalent) lens that focuses faster than I can ever hope to achieve manually.

Should I get one?

Barr1e
7th May 2008, 08:00 AM
Of course.....IMHO.

I like the pix.

Regards. Barr1e

steverh
7th May 2008, 09:28 AM
I think these three factors combined are going to prove expensive for me. I'd love a Bigma, or even a Sigma 135-400, but both these lenses are more expensive than the Oly and considerably heavier. The 70-300 I could walk around with all day and still have a high magnification (600mm equivalent) lens that focuses faster than I can ever hope to achieve manually.

Should I get one?

When people start asking questions like that, it usually ends up costing them money! :)

theMusicMan
7th May 2008, 06:56 PM
Should I get one?
Hehe... and what advice do you expect me to provide then Mr P... :):)

Of course you should get one, it really is a superb lens and is capable of some fantastic adventures.

Having said that, I am one for more more more focal length and am trying my hand at the Bigma. Ordered one a few days ago and am really looking forward to trying it out on my next trip to Skomer.

Zuiko
7th May 2008, 09:11 PM
Hehe... and what advice do you expect me to provide then Mr P... :):)

Of course you should get one, it really is a superb lens and is capable of some fantastic adventures.

Having said that, I am one for more more more focal length and am trying my hand at the Bigma. Ordered one a few days ago and am really looking forward to trying it out on my next trip to Skomer.

Well John, I think you've just tipped the balance in favour of me getting the lens. I'll blame you when Debbie sees it - although judging from the amount of use she gave my 40-150 at the weekend I'll be lucky to get a go on the new lens whilst she's around! ;)

Great news regarding the Bigma, I look forward to seeing the results. I'm sure you'll still find plenty of use for the 70-300. Being so light and compact you can carry it around on the off-chance whereas I guess that you would need to have a specific purpose to take the Bigma out. Two very complimentary lenses to have in your collection! :D

John