PDA

View Full Version : e3 & 11 - 22

Steve Roughley
6th May 2008, 07:33 PM
One from Bank Holiday Monday
Waterfall on the way to Great Moss in the Lake District.

http://www.steveroughleyphotography.com/new%20web%20site/images/Great%20Moss%20Waterfall.jpg

Steve

steverh
6th May 2008, 07:35 PM
Wonderfully atmospheric - you can almost hear it and smell it.

At least you had some half-decent bank holiday weather :)

snaarman
6th May 2008, 07:51 PM
Excellent shot!

Did you get your feet wet then??

Pete

Steve Roughley
6th May 2008, 07:53 PM
Excellent shot!

Did you get your feet wet then??

Pete

Yes. Well walking boots were in the water.

Steve.

alert_bri
6th May 2008, 07:53 PM
Oh, WOW! that is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC Steve!

I love the colours, the composition, it's super sharp too...

Well Done, and thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards

Brian

Steve Roughley
6th May 2008, 07:54 PM
Another wet feet also here.
It clouded over in the afternoon so overcast sky.

http://www.steveroughleyphotography.com/new%20web%20site/images/Great%20Moss%20Waterfall2.jpg

Steve

Steve Roughley
6th May 2008, 11:56 PM
Oh, WOW! that is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC Steve!

I love the colours, the composition, it's super sharp too...

Well Done, and thanks for sharing.

Kind Regards

Brian

Interesting you say its sharp as my initial reaction on opening my photos from this trip was "what have I done wrong again." I'm not sure why but I seem to be struggling to get my photos sharp with the 11-22 at the moment. Its got that bad I'm even starting to think there may be a problem with the lens. I did a quick check with my 14-54 and 11-22 and found they were spot on focus when taking shots of a tape measure at different F values.
I would like to checkout if its focusing ok using one of the focus points apart from the centre one. As most of my photos of late have been taken with off centre focus points.
Another possibility is that my nd & grad nd filters are degrading the sharpness.
Guess its something I have to investigate further.

Steve

alert_bri
7th May 2008, 05:40 AM
Hi Steve, just goes to show how forgiving scaling for web can be... normally 11-22 is very sharp - worth getting it back for repair/recalibration?

Cheers

Brian

dbutch
7th May 2008, 07:08 AM
Steve

With respect to your thoughts on sharpness my question is what F number were you shooting at? because defraction could be softening the shots if you have stopped down to far!

Interestingly when the 11-22 first came out I seem to remember (E-1 days) a few people were confused with it, it seemed to give a lot of detail but the overeal picture seemed slightly lacking bite? I think the conclusion was the lens out resolved the camera!! but that doesn't really make sense, so again I wonder if it was a defraction thing.

Dave

Nice shots by the way

Steve Roughley
7th May 2008, 05:10 PM
Steve

With respect to your thoughts on sharpness my question is what F number were you shooting at? because defraction could be softening the shots if you have stopped down to far!

Interestingly when the 11-22 first came out I seem to remember (E-1 days) a few people were confused with it, it seemed to give a lot of detail but the overeal picture seemed slightly lacking bite? I think the conclusion was the lens out resolved the camera!! but that doesn't really make sense, so again I wonder if it was a defraction thing.

Dave

Nice shots by the way

I tried f6.5 , f11 , f20 and yes I know about defraction.
It is interesting to see the shots at differing apertures. especially with having water in them and having to use more nd filters to blur the water.
Also it is good to experiment to see what dof you can get.
However I still hold that there is something going wrong somewhere. If I manually focus, zoomed in with live view, I seem to get better results.
Steve

Steve Lane
9th May 2008, 10:09 AM
Hello Steve, this is great use of a wonderful lens...I simply love the 11-22 for this kind of work.
Cheers, Steve.