PDA

View Full Version : (UPDATE) Olympus E-System fans, this competition is for you!

Four Thirds User
20th October 2011, 02:40 PM
Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com (http://fourthirds-user.com)) is a sibling site to the e-group.

A photography competition just for Olympus E-System fans, with 500 worth of Olympus gear to be won!

More... (http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/10/update_olympus_esystem_fans_this_competition_is_fo r_you.php)

Ian
20th October 2011, 03:05 PM
Running in tandem with our Pen competition (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17394) on here is a competition on our sibling site, Four Thirds User, for users of Olympus E-System DSLR cameras and/or lenses. Details are here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/10/update_olympus_esystem_fans_this_competition_is_fo r_you.php

Don't hesitate if you have any questions!

Ian

stoates
20th October 2011, 07:02 PM
Been trying to download the page via this link and directly through the Four Thirds User Forum. I get the green page border but no other information and an 'error on page' warning.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks.

Ian
21st October 2011, 08:22 AM
Been trying to download the page via this link and directly through the Four Thirds User Forum. I get the green page border but no other information and an 'error on page' warning.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks.

It's working for me this morning.

We have been having a few problems with banner ads that prevent the whole page from loading and this requires a page refresh or two to fix. Apologies for this.

Ian

snag2000
25th October 2011, 12:01 PM
Just wondering (sorry if I missed it in the rules, but didn't see anything about it), is it okay to send the image for the competition in one e-mail and then subsequent pictures for consideration in the book in separate e-mail(s)?

Is there any special subject line to use for these?

Cheers,
Mike

Ian
25th October 2011, 01:04 PM
Just wondering (sorry if I missed it in the rules, but didn't see anything about it), is it okay to send the image for the competition in one e-mail and then subsequent pictures for consideration in the book in separate e-mail(s)?

Is there any special subject line to use for these?

Cheers,
Mike

That's fine, as long as you make it clear which is your primary competition picture.

Ian

LMGruchy
25th October 2011, 08:35 PM
I have a photo which I took on my hubby's Pen. Can I enter that into the Pen comp and others on the four thirds comp please?

Ian
26th October 2011, 08:57 AM
I have a photo which I took on my hubby's Pen. Can I enter that into the Pen comp and others on the four thirds comp please?

Of course you can :)

Ian

stoates
28th October 2011, 11:38 AM
Hi Ian

Have been trying to send you some entries to the competition but delivery is failing with a 'mailbox full warning'

Bikie John
28th October 2011, 01:32 PM
A question about the rules, specifically the image format. The rules say

Entries must be in the form of full resolution JPEG image files

This could be interpreted as meaning they must be the straight out of camera JPEGs. I process from the raw files and usually crop a bit for composition, is it OK to do this then save the resulting image as a JPEG as long as the EXIF data is preserved?

Cheers ... John

Bikie John
28th October 2011, 01:37 PM
I just tried to send this query to the address specified and got the same error as Steve - "Delivery failure - mailbox quota exceeded".

Also - I should have added to the question, "with no resizing" as well as preserving EXIF.

Ciao ... John

shirley
28th October 2011, 07:01 PM
Sent mine in this morning in four separate emails. I hope they arrived safely :)

Zuiko
28th October 2011, 07:45 PM
Sent mine in this morning in four separate emails. I hope they arrived safely :)

I hope they didn't, it will give the rest of us a chance! :p

Only joking, Shirley, I wish you the best of luck really. :)

shirley
28th October 2011, 07:55 PM
I hope they didn't, it will give the rest of us a chance! :p

Only joking, Shirley, I wish you the best of luck really. :)

You really don't have to worry John, I have only had a PEN for 5 days, I know I haven't got the settings right yet, not happy with results so far...my fault not the camera's. I sent some in as page fillers for the book, it seemed like Ian was struggling to get enough PEN pics, unless things have improved since the beginning of the week.

Have you put your entry in John?

Zuiko
28th October 2011, 10:40 PM
You really don't have to worry John, I have only had a PEN for 5 days, I know I haven't got the settings right yet, not happy with results so far...my fault not the camera's. I sent some in as page fillers for the book, it seemed like Ian was struggling to get enough PEN pics, unless things have improved since the beginning of the week.

Have you put your entry in John?

Five days is a long time when you can produce a masterpeice in 1/250th of a second! :D

Yes, I've entered but my hopes rest mainly with getting into the book. :)

stoates
29th October 2011, 12:00 AM
Never did successfuly manage to enter my photos today. Have tried several times but on each occasion received a 'delivery status notification - failed' message. Luckily I sent my 'primary' image earlier in the week. My daughter took great delight in pointing out I shouldn't have left it so late, something I am always having a go at her for with her homework!

Hope you had better success in the end John.

Ross the fiddler
30th October 2011, 07:35 AM
Has Ian been around to deal with the issue with the email failure as I'm also still waiting to get my photo in (late)?

Bikie John
31st October 2011, 05:32 PM
I just sent one in OK so I think the backlog is cleared.

Ciao ... John

Ian
31st October 2011, 05:39 PM
Never did successfuly manage to enter my photos today. Have tried several times but on each occasion received a 'delivery status notification - failed' message. Luckily I sent my 'primary' image earlier in the week. My daughter took great delight in pointing out I shouldn't have left it so late, something I am always having a go at her for with her homework!

Hope you had better success in the end John.

I guarantee your entries will be OK :)

Ian

stoates
31st October 2011, 06:32 PM

Ian

Thanks Ian, successfuly got them to you this evening.

jojonas
31st October 2011, 10:44 PM
sent an email with one shot for competing with and then another with some extras.
great initiative, this whole thing :)

mlc
1st November 2011, 08:44 PM
How many entries did you get Ian?

Ian
2nd November 2011, 09:45 AM
Hi all, the total number of entries has not yet been counted because a few people are still to successfully send their images (mainly Mac users whose mail clients refuse to allow them to send file attachments). I'm out shortly for the rest of the day, but I hope to be able to start sorting the entries on both sites tomorrow and Friday. I should have some figures by Friday.

I have just sent out the last of the acknowledgements - if you have checked your mail in the last few minutes and not received an acknowledgement, please get in touch as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Ian

Janet
2nd November 2011, 11:49 AM
I've sent mine twice but had no acknowledgement.

Janet

Ian
2nd November 2011, 06:40 PM
Ok Janet, please send an email to me at forum-admin@dpnow.com so I can trace any emails from your account.

Ian

stoates
2nd November 2011, 07:24 PM

Ian

Was this my acknowledgement Ian as I have not received an email since hopefully submitting some entries on Monday. (I did receive an email acknowlegement for my 'Primary' sent a few days earlier).

I have sent an email using the address you gave Janet 'just in case'.

*chr

Ian
3rd November 2011, 08:19 AM
Was this my acknowledgement Ian as I have not received an email since hopefully submitting some entries on Monday. (I did receive an email acknowlegement for my 'Primary' sent a few days earlier).

I have sent an email using the address you gave Janet 'just in case'.

*chr

Acknowledgements were only sent for primary entries.

Ian

Janet
3rd November 2011, 05:07 PM
I've resent my entries to that address Ian. Can you let me know if you received them OK?

Many thanks!

Janet

Ian
3rd November 2011, 05:48 PM
I've resent my entries to that address Ian. Can you let me know if you received them OK?

Many thanks!

Janet

Got'em :)

Ian

Janet
3rd November 2011, 06:02 PM
Woo hoo!

Not that I stand a hope in hell, but you've got to try!

Janet

Ross the fiddler
3rd November 2011, 10:44 PM
Woo hoo!

Janet

That's right, ya gotta be in it to win it! *yes

I feel the same way, but what the heck, I put one in too.

Zuiko
4th November 2011, 12:00 AM
Woo hoo!

Janet

Ahh, but you do (I've seen your work)! :D

Good luck. *chr

OlyPaul
9th November 2011, 09:51 AM
Hi all, the total number of entries has not yet been counted because a few people are still to successfully send their images (mainly Mac users whose mail clients refuse to allow them to send file attachments). I'm out shortly for the rest of the day, but I hope to be able to start sorting the entries on both sites tomorrow and Friday. I should have some figures by Friday.

I have just sent out the last of the acknowledgements - if you have checked your mail in the last few minutes and not received an acknowledgement, please get in touch as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Ian

To late for me to resend as I just spent a week in hospital and just got out. But as I have no acknowledgement I'm guessing mine were rejected!

Zuiko
9th November 2011, 04:36 PM
To late for me to resend as I just spent a week in hospital and just got out. But as I have no acknowledgement I'm guessing mine were rejected!

Paul, I'm sorry to hear that, i.e. sorry to hear you've been in hospital and sorry to hear your entry han't been acknowleged. Hope you are feeling better and recovering well. :)

OlyPaul
11th November 2011, 10:26 AM
Thank you John and I am recovering quite well and soon hope to be out shooting again. :)

I'm still not sure about my entries as my e-mail client shows them as being delivered ! :confused:

I'll just have to take solace in that I have already had a couple of image published in the official Olympus magazine.:)

Janet
13th November 2011, 09:57 AM
Any update on this yet?

Janet

David M
13th November 2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you John and I am recovering quite well and soon hope to be out shooting again. :)

I'm still not sure about my entries as my e-mail client shows them as being delivered ! :confused:

I'll just have to take solace in that I have already had a couple of image published in the official Olympus magazine.:)

I didn't realise they still published Vision Age, I thought it was an online newsletter sort of thing now.

Zuiko
13th November 2011, 02:38 PM
I didn't realise they still published Vision Age, I thought it was an online newsletter sort of thing now.

Don't think it is still called Vision Age but it is still a propper printed magazine.

David M
13th November 2011, 05:19 PM
Don't think it is still called Vision Age but it is still a propper printed magazine.

Actually it looks like the online version of Vision Age has disappeared.

It was on the PDN (Photo District News) web site a year or so ago but it's not there now as I can find.

Bill Gordon
13th November 2011, 07:27 PM
For those still concerned see..http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/11/13/uk-olympus-idUKTRE7AC04320111113

Bill Gordon
14th November 2011, 03:11 PM
Finally, employees speak up.http://www.olympusgrassroots.com/en/letter.html

Ian
15th November 2011, 12:02 PM
Update - I am fairly confident that the winner will be notified today. Once I've received an acknowledgement from the winner I will reveal all here (I mean the identity of the winner! :D)

Also, we had just under 150 valid entries for the Four Thirds competition and these are being processed today.

Images for the two books will be decided on later this week.

Ian

mlc
15th November 2011, 07:04 PM
Update - I am fairly confident that the winner will be notified today. Once I've received an acknowledgement from the winner I will reveal all here
Ian

and the winning image please!

Janet
15th November 2011, 07:28 PM
Who's had the notification then? Come on...own up!

Janet

LMGruchy
15th November 2011, 07:31 PM
I bet it's someone on holiday and we won't know for days... the only thing we know is, "It wasn't me." (But then I'd be gobsmacked if it were me.)

Janet
15th November 2011, 07:36 PM
It won't be me either! I do hope we get to see all the entries though...I'll bet it was a difficult decision.

Janet

Zuiko
15th November 2011, 08:17 PM
I'm saying nothing! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D *smug*smug*smug*party*party*party

Zuiko
15th November 2011, 08:18 PM
But it wasn't me either :(

Janet
15th November 2011, 08:44 PM
I really hope it was someone from here...

Janet

Zuiko
15th November 2011, 09:24 PM
I really hope it was someone from here...

Janet

...or if it is someone new I hope they stick around and become part of the community. :)

Zuiko
15th November 2011, 09:26 PM
It won't be me either! I do hope we get to see all the entries though...I'll bet it was a difficult decision.

Janet

Hopefully most of them will be in the book that we'll all be getting! :D

benvendetta
15th November 2011, 10:10 PM
Hopefully most of them will be in the book that we'll all be getting! :D

Who was judging the entries? I would have expected a top notch person, nothing less.

Zuiko
15th November 2011, 10:50 PM
Who was judging the entries? I would have expected a top notch person, nothing less.

No, I'm afraid I wasn't asked! :D

benvendetta
15th November 2011, 11:19 PM
No, I'm afraid I wasn't asked! :D

Well at least it wasn't through voting by the 4/3rds and e-group. Thankfully!

Bryso
16th November 2011, 09:10 AM
who is the winner, who is the winner :D
I've just checked my inbox and it isn't me lol

Ross the fiddler
16th November 2011, 10:08 AM
There must be something wrong with my email account because I haven't got the winning confirmation yet. ;)

Ian Grego
16th November 2011, 12:10 PM
The winners not in Derbyshire, not my little bit anyway.

Congratulations to whoever has though.

Ian

Janet
16th November 2011, 06:54 PM
I got an email from Olympus! Woo hooo.....or not....!!!

Unfortunately it was just asking me to enter a competition in their Christmas Online Shop Treasure Hunt...pah!!

Janet

Aniseedvan
16th November 2011, 08:20 PM
I entered that one too!

LMGruchy
19th November 2011, 11:51 AM
Any news yet?

Ulfric M Douglas
19th November 2011, 06:22 PM
Maybe the winner gets to be olympus' CEO for a week?

Zuiko
19th November 2011, 07:43 PM
Maybe the winner gets to be olympus' CEO for a week?

And the runner-up gets to be CEO for two weeks. :D

Janet
19th November 2011, 07:47 PM
Are we any closer to finding out who's won yet?

Janet

Zuiko
19th November 2011, 08:10 PM
Are we any closer to finding out who's won yet?

Janet

I suspect that the weekend has interrupted the process; hopefully we will hear early next week. :)

benvendetta
27th November 2011, 09:32 PM
Whatever has happened to this??????????

Ross the fiddler
27th November 2011, 09:59 PM
Whatever has happened to this??????????

I dunno. I'm still (im)patiently waiting for a result too. :rolleyes:

Zuiko
28th November 2011, 12:01 AM
I'm sure all will be revealed in due course. I don't think Ian has been around this week, I can't recall seeing him on the forums. Maybe he's been in Japan for a secret product launch of the E-7......16mp, OVF/EVF hybrid viewfinder, clean ISO 12800, 15 EV dynamic range, 12fps....you know the one. Oh, and a new 100mm f2 SHG macro lens for FT. :D

David M
28th November 2011, 12:28 AM
Oh, and a new 100mm f2 SHG macro lens for FT. :D

You mean the telephoto macro that was on the original lens roadmap for release in 2005? :rolleyes:

Ross the fiddler
28th November 2011, 01:41 AM
I'm sure all will be revealed in due course. I don't think Ian has been around this week, I can't recall seeing him on the forums. Maybe he's been in Japan for a secret product launch of the E-7......16mp, OVF/EVF hybrid viewfinder, clean ISO 12800, 15 EV dynamic range, 12fps....you know the one. Oh, and a new 100mm f2 SHG macro lens for FT. :D

Wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

It really would be nice though (with some of those specs). *yes

*chr

Zuiko
28th November 2011, 08:23 AM
You mean the telephoto macro that was on the original lens roadmap for release in 2005? :rolleyes:

The very same one! I'm sure the competition results will materialize long before that lens ever does (or the E-7 for that matter)! :D

Notice how deftly I turned this thread back on topic. :rolleyes: Having realized that I had potentially opened a whole new can of big, wriggley worms! :eek:

gno
28th November 2011, 08:29 PM
I suspect that the weekend has interrupted the process; hopefully we will hear early next week. :)

Which weekend would this be!

Janet
28th November 2011, 10:33 PM
Your guess is as good as mine...I suspect this had been seriously overlooked.

Not good when people have invested time and effort into sending in their entries.

Janet

Bikie John
28th November 2011, 10:49 PM
I think we should lay off the hassling. There were probably a lot of entries to work through - it was on the international 4/3rds forum as well - and it looks as though Ian has been away or busy because he hasn't been popping up in the forums.

I'm sure it will all be sorted by Christmas. Not sure which Christmas though :)

Ciao ... John

David M
28th November 2011, 11:05 PM
Your guess is as good as mine...I suspect this had been seriously overlooked.

Not good when people have invested time and effort into sending in their entries.

Janet

Maybe you should ask Ian to refund your entry fee.

RogerMac
28th November 2011, 11:35 PM
There probably are several layers of management who need to approve the final result and this may well be taking longer than was originally thought - so personally I will just be patient and remember that I enjoyed getting my entry together

Roger

Zuiko
29th November 2011, 02:46 AM
Ian has never let us down, we've had delays with previous competitions but they have always been completed eventually. Due to the nature of his business, of which this site is but a small part, Ian's workload can be varied and unpredictable - often involving trips abroad. I'm sure something like this has come up and that's why we haven't seen him for about a week. Last time he communicated he seemed to be keen to get this competition wrapped up as soon as possible, maybe because he knew he wouldn't be around this week. I suspect the deadline was too tight for this to happen. I have complete confidence that Ian will post the result and an update on the production of the book as soon as he is able. In the meantime, could I please ask for patience and understanding - there's plenty else we can be enjoying on this great site!

*chr

Ross the fiddler
29th November 2011, 05:44 AM
OK, I'll be patient & leave off the stiring.

I hope everything is OK with Ian & I fully understand when things get busy (just ask my customers how long they have to wait for their instruments). There are only so many hours in a day & some of them are needed for family & sleep.

*chr

Janet
29th November 2011, 07:01 AM
Ooops! I didn't mean my comment to come across as harshly as that! Blame it on the red wine...!

Janet

Zuiko
29th November 2011, 09:15 AM
Ooops! I didn't mean my comment to come across as harshly as that! Blame it on the red wine...!

Janet

Hey Janet, my response wasn't to you in particular! I sense, quite understandably, that there is a growing sense of impatience amongst many members - of course, we all want to know who won, see the winning entry and discover if our own pictures have made it into the book. I'm just the same! Sometimes it's just a case of understanding the reasons why delays can happen :)

gno
29th November 2011, 09:16 AM
Ian has never let us down, we've had delays with previous competitions but they have always been completed eventually. Due to the nature of his business, of which this site is but a small part, Ian's workload can be varied and unpredictable - often involving trips abroad. I'm sure something like this has come up and that's why we haven't seen him for about a week.

That's all very well, but the winner has been notified, or is that not correct, it doesn't take long to give an update on the status of the competition, and I think that is what forum users want to hear.

Regards

Gavin

LMGruchy
29th November 2011, 01:46 PM
I think we should lay off the hassling. There were probably a lot of entries to work through - it was on the international 4/3rds forum as well - and it looks as though Ian has been away or busy because he hasn't been popping up in the forums.

I'm sure it will all be sorted by Christmas. Not sure which Christmas though :)

Ciao ... John

I agree. My guess is there are many more entries than expected. And of course I'm itchng to see the results.

Zuiko
29th November 2011, 03:08 PM
That's all very well, but the winner has been notified, or is that not correct, it doesn't take long to give an update on the status of the competition, and I think that is what forum users want to hear.

Regards

Gavin

The last I'd heard was that the winner had been notified but had not acknowledged; I presume out of courtesy that Ian wanted to ensure the winner knew before he went public. :)

gno
1st December 2011, 11:25 PM
The last I'd heard was that the winner had been notified

Snail Mail? or Olympus internal/external mail!

Regards

Gavin

gno
5th December 2011, 12:12 AM
No update, "Par for the course"
No wonder people change to "Canikon" need I say more.

If Olympus want to capture even a niche market they need to treat their consumers with more respect than this.
After all many of us have invested thousands of pounds in their kit.

LMGruchy
5th December 2011, 07:24 AM
I know it's frustrating, it it would be nice to know the results, but if the winner has not responded and needs to respond to confirm all details, then there's not much that can be announced until this has happened.

Also, I suspect that there are far more entries than expected, so for the book, perhaps far more judging has had to happen, and decisions taken. We only have to look at this thread (http://www.e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=142968#post142968)to see how hard that can be... and that's just an internal bit of fun.

I didn't receive an email (not surprised) and that tells me I didn't win. (I would have been flabberghasted if I had.) Shrug shoulders and move on. Any photos included in the book are a bonus, as far as I can see. The only frustration would be if I wanted to enter the same photographs in another competition.

I don't remember seeing anything about when the winner would be announced in the rules, though I might be wrong, and a couple of weeks doesn't really seem long enough to really judge and select those for the book.... and then contact the people to ensure it's their property etc.

I'm just grateful for the opportunity to enter competitions like this. I don't think it's right to moan when people have been kind enough to run a competition where it doesn't cost to enter. It's not fair on Ian, especially as it might be out of his hands.

David M
5th December 2011, 11:35 AM
I don't think it's right to moan when people have been kind enough to run a competition where it doesn't cost to enter. It's not fair on Ian, especially as it might be out of his hands.

Exactly.

If you want, you can add all the whiners to your ignore list so you don't have to see any of their posts in future. My ignore list has doubled recently.

RogerMac
5th December 2011, 12:07 PM
Personally I never thought I had even a cat in hell chance of winning so I am not impatient to hear the result. However in the past I have noticed that when the usual suspects disappear for an extended period it is often that they are being briefed about some important announcement. let us all hope that if that is this case it is good news

Roger

Ross the fiddler
5th December 2011, 12:15 PM
I'm sure we will find out who the winner is in due course & who will be privileged to have their photos in the book. We better behave ourselves 'cause we might only get a lump of coal in our sack instead of something more pleasurable.

What is much more important & we should be hoping for, is a positive outcome for Olympus Imaging (& Corporate) during this cover up crisis, otherwise there may be no prize at all.

Cheers All *chr

Ross the fiddler
5th December 2011, 12:22 PM
Personally I never thought I had even a cat in hell chance of winning so I am not impatient to hear the result. However in the past I have noticed that when the usual suspects disappear for an extended period it is often that they are being briefed about some important announcement. let us all hope that if that is this case it is good news

Roger

Looks like we both had the same thoughts, only it took me longer to get mine together. ;)

gregles
5th December 2011, 01:21 PM
Personally I hope everything is okay with Ian and his family. He has been very quiet over the last few weeks.

Greg

Zuiko
5th December 2011, 08:01 PM
Personally I hope everything is okay with Ian and his family. He has been very quiet over the last few weeks.

Greg

Thank you, Greg, that's really the main issue - not how many weeks we've had to wait for a competition result. *yes

Ross the fiddler
5th December 2011, 08:44 PM

Greg

I would like to echo those thoughts too. The saying, "no news is good news" does not bring comfort here.

Additional info. I have just noticed Ian is still posting on DPNow. :confused: