PDA

View Full Version : Using Wired Remote on E30

shirley
19th October 2011, 08:26 PM
I have a feeling this is going to be one of those questions I may wish I hadn't asked as I am sure there is a very simple answer. I have a wired remote which plugs into the USB port, I have used it in the past, but not for a while, and when I came to use it the other day it would not work.

My questions are 1. Is there a setting I have to use with this or should it be 'plug and play'?
2. Does it have a battery? I have looked but can find no obvious way in?

I am sure I simply plugged it in before, but as it say it has been a while!

Thank you

IainMacD
19th October 2011, 09:16 PM
Hi Shirley
I have a 'cheep' wired remote and have found that sometimes it doesn't seat properly, removing and retrying usually works or pushing it in further? Have you looked closely at it to make sure there aren't any bent pins?
I hope you manage to sort it
Iain

Wreckdiver
19th October 2011, 09:53 PM
There are no batteries and no menu settings. Just plug it in and go.

As Iain says, the connector might need a wiggle. Some of the cheap ones from China are not the best of construction and can be a bit temperamental. I had to modify my cheapo one to work reliably with my E-30.

Steve

Patchwork
20th October 2011, 07:38 AM
I have just bought a replacement wired remote to use with my E-30. The first one I had worked fine but recently it would operate the auto focus OK but wouldn't fire the shutter. A friend with more technical know-how than me had a look and found that one of the three thin wires in the cable had broken. The latest remote is working fine - at the moment.

hruissen
20th October 2011, 09:43 AM
Hi,

I also have a cheap remote and also sometimes have problems making it work. What sometimes makes the difference is that I first need to plug it in and then switch on my camera.

regards

Henk

Ross the fiddler
20th October 2011, 10:08 AM
Hi Shirley
I have a 'cheep' wired remote and have found that sometimes it doesn't seat properly, removing and retrying usually works or pushing it in further? Have you looked closely at it to make sure there aren't any bent pins?
I hope you manage to sort it
Iain

It is important to check for bent pins as I managed to plug an Olympus remote (not just a cheap one) in upside down (in an E520) in the dark & again when downloading photos without looking carefully enough for the orientation. It was then the centre insulator of the socket broke out. After separating the bent pins, I was able to continue using the camera without the use of that connector. A cheap IR remote (& card reader) works well instead.

I now get nervous using a cheap timer remote (intervalometer wired remote) because of it's less than perfect fit (with my E30).

shirley
20th October 2011, 01:22 PM
Thank you everybody I will check the pins, that may well be the problem.

David M
20th October 2011, 10:10 PM
It is important to check for bent pins as I managed to plug an Olympus remote (not just a cheap one) in upside down (in an E520) in the dark & again when downloading photos without looking carefully enough for the orientation. It was then the centre insulator of the socket broke out. After separating the bent pins, I was able to continue using the camera without the use of that connector. A cheap IR remote (& card reader) works well instead.

I now get nervous using a cheap timer remote (intervalometer wired remote) because of it's less than perfect fit (with my E30).

Yes, I seem to remember reports of cheap wired remotes damaging sockets but can't remember if if was on E-3's or E-30's.

Wreckdiver
20th October 2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, I seem to remember reports of cheap wired remotes damaging sockets but can't remember if if was on E-3's or E-30's.

It was on the E-1s and E-3s. They have a 3 pin round socket and some of the cheap remotes pushed the socket contacts into the body of the camera.

Steve

David M
20th October 2011, 10:23 PM
It was on the E-1s and E-3s. They have a 3 pin round socket and some of the cheap remotes pushed the socket contacts into the body of the camera.

Steve

That sounds right, I seem to remember photos of a 3 pin round socket.