PDA

View Full Version : IMatch vs IView

ardvorlich
6th May 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi all. Anyone out there got any views about IMatch vs IView.I really need to think seriously about file management but am fairly new to all this.Basically which is the more intuitive workspace as more automated the better. Iain

shenstone
6th May 2008, 11:57 AM
Imatch is a fully functional Digital Asset Management that really rocks with new functionality being added at an immense rate. (can you tell I'm a fan)

I consider myself pretty IT literate so took a lot of time over deciding what I wanted - what I wanted was Ease of management with a minimum of effort from me and not being tied into one standard for keywording that may or may not become an ultimate standard e.g. EXIF data, XMP, IPTC etc etc..

I reviewed just about everything on the market at the time ( about 2 years ago) and have never been dissapointed with my decision.

it's definitely intuitive to me - Drag and Drop or open up a category box and do some ticking.

I can catalog a weekends shots in about 10 mins if the cataloge already has the right entries and about 1/2 an hour if it's a totally new subject and I need to decisng my new categories ( you can import standard categories, but I want more detail)

I have about 20k images categorised and can find anything I want in about 3 clicks and a couple of keystrokes.

it also manages "buddy files" well so that anything I have do to a JPG in terms of moving it or relocating it affects the related ORF. The keywording is seperate for the 2 files (I prefer this) but there are scripts to synch them if you want to.

I recently bought some more disk and I used Imatch to restructure my folders onto the new disks. I moves 250 Gb in about 3 hours, but I did also restructure all my folders and setup my new back-up strategy at the same time.

if you want to ask any more specific questions then please feel free to come bac or PM me.

I can't comment on the alternate as it stand now because my review was before the Microsoft aquisition

Regards
Andy

OlyPaul
6th May 2008, 01:26 PM
I can't comment on the alternate as it stand now because my review was before the Microsoft aquisition

Regards
Andy

Shenstone just a slight GUI rehash by MS from the original IVeiw and the new MS beta one has more bugs than a ant hill.

ardvorlich
6th May 2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks for that Andy preciate you taking the time.I must admit I was veering towards IMatch but coming across Iview threw spanner in works mainly because of the Adobe/Microsoft thing about their standards prevailing over all else.Will go back and take closer look at IMatch. Thanks for the quick response.Regards Iain

shenstone
6th May 2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for that Andy preciate you taking the time.I must admit I was veering towards IMatch but coming across Iview threw spanner in works mainly because of the Adobe/Microsoft thing about their standards prevailing over all else.Will go back and take closer look at IMatch. Thanks for the quick response.Regards Iain

I quite understand I too was unsure - the thing that persuased me was following the forum for a few weeks and seeing just how much the developer (Mario) works at responding to his customers.

He's a real good role model to anyone developing software commercial or otherwise.

Regards
Andy