View Full Version : Advice on using 50mm macro

v4 rider
17th October 2011, 09:00 PM
Hi

just purchased a secondhand 50mm f2.0 macro lens

Any advice / tips on using this lens much appreciated

snaarman
17th October 2011, 09:19 PM
The Zuiko Digital 50mm macro is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used and it gets my vote for quality.

OK, the AF can be a bit slow sometimes, but it's not that bad really. As a macro it will go down to about 2:1, so you could use it to "digitise" your old slides if you have any.

As a short telephoto it's also really good, great for portraits. You can also use it with the EC14 as a 70mm f4 (Olympus say you need to stop it down to f2.8 to use with the EC14, hence the f4 bit, however it looked pretty good wide open to my eyes).

In short, it's one monster lens. You will wish all your lenses were that sharp :-)

Pete

wanderer
17th October 2011, 10:34 PM
I agree with Pete.
Go out and enjoy yourself with it.
Bit late for flowers but a good time for fungi.

OlyPaul
18th October 2011, 06:15 AM
Everything that Pete said with knobs on. :D

benvendetta
18th October 2011, 12:26 PM
Possibly a bit too sharp for portraits, in particular female.
But still a cracker of a lens!

snaarman
18th October 2011, 03:41 PM
Actually, I just recalled my blog entry about this lens...

http://snaarman.blogspot.com/2011/08/sharp.html

v4 rider
18th October 2011, 08:56 PM
A big thank you all for your advice.

Looking forward to the weekend.

bruniroquai
26th April 2012, 08:02 PM
By the way, it's better than the Pana-Leica 45mm ?

David Morison
26th April 2012, 10:30 PM
By the way, it's better than the Pana-Leica 45mm ?

In theory the PL 45mm will focus faster and will give greater magnification but as for IQ this is a question I would like an answer to.

David

Crippledsandwich
26th April 2012, 10:35 PM
Iv not had my 50mm long but what ever body ( E1 E620) i attach it to it renders great results. IMHO its a fantastic lens, which i brought for macro and portraiture from the advice from the guys on here, and i have taken some really nice pictures of my step son, my daughter and OH using it. It give me a tone of confidence as well.

paullus
29th April 2012, 09:02 AM
Hi

just purchased a secondhand 50mm f2.0 macro lens

Any advice / tips on using this lens much appreciated

I've just bought one this week too and I am already blown away by it. I had forgotten just how good a prime lens can be after using zooms for so long. It takes me back to my film camera days.
I've put a 52mm Hoya Pro-1 Digital protector filter on mine. This is optically clear and is purely for protection. I know fitting filters is a moot point but I prefer to do it.
I have noticed that the lens can hunt through its entire focus range if it can't get a focus lock. This is normal and due to the fact that there is no focus limiter on it. It's a feature of the lens you have to learn to live with.
I was initially concerned that the manual focusing ring didn't do anything in S-AF. Then I remember reading somewhere that manual focusing in all modes is only available on SWD lenses. So if you want to manually focus the lens you can't use S-AF or C-AF you have to select MF, S-AF+M or C-AF+M and it works beautifully as it should.
I love its low light performance and small size too.
In fact I believe that this lens may become my main choice of lens instead of my 12-60 SWD, for a while anyway:)
Enjoy!