PDA

View Full Version : E-Group Pen competition rules and entry details

Ian
17th October 2011, 05:03 PM
For the general background to the competition, please read this (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17172).

Here are the competition rules:

1. The competition is being held by The Olympus E-System User Group and Olympus UK. The theme for the competition is open, but extra credit will be awarded to photos that successfully exploit exclusive features of Olympus Pen cameras, like Art Filters, for example.

2. Entries must be submitted by midnight, UK time, 31st October, 2011.

3. Entries must be in the form of JPEG image files emailed to competitions@e-group.uk.net. If you have difficulty in emailing your entry, let us know by send an email to the same address or via forum Private Message here. All entries will be acknowledged via email.

4. All entered images must photographed using an Olympus Pen camera and/or another Micro Four Thirds camera with an Olympus m.Zuiko lens and this must be demonstrated in the image metadata, which must be preserved and original.

5. There is no restriction on the make and type of lens used.

6. All entrants must have taken the the image submitted and be its rightful owner.

7. By entering your image, you agree to allow Olympus UK the opportunity of featuring the image in a limited edition Photo Book that celebrates imagery created using Olympus Pen cameras, and any publicity relating to the promotion of the competition. This book will not be available for sale, it will only be used as a demonstration of what is possible with Pen photography. No other claim on the use of, or rights to the image entered will be made.

8. The inclusion of an entrant's image in the book guarantees the entrant a free copy of the resulting book.

9. One image will be selected as the overall best image submitted, earning the entrant a prize to the value of £500 in Olympus camera equipment of the entrant's choice, subject to availability.

10. There is no restriction on the geographical location of the residence of entrants, but any taxes or duties applicable to the importation of any prizes must be the responsibility of the recipient.

11. The image selection and that of the overall winner will be the sole responsibility of a panel of judges. The judges' decision is final.

12. These rules may be subject to change without notice.

If you have any questions about these rules or the competition in general, please let us know by posting in this forum thread or by contacting us via competitions@e-group.uk.net or my forum Private Messaging mailbox.

There are just two weeks to go, so don't delay!

Ian

Ian
17th October 2011, 05:06 PM
Just to pre-empt - of course you can use Photoshop, or whatever, to enhance and fine tune your image, but we are looking for a camera image and its composition, not an artistically interpreted and highly modified version of the original camera image.

Ian

Zuiko
17th October 2011, 07:41 PM
Are entries restricted to one image per person? :)

DJMC
18th October 2011, 09:33 AM
Ian,

Are we emailing full size images or is there a maximum size specified (e.g. 800x600).

I'm guessing it's full size, just thinking about the download time your end!

Also, is there any time limit on how old a photo is? Does it have to be within a recent period or can it be, say, two years old?

Thanks.

StephenL
18th October 2011, 10:56 AM
Just tried to send my entry, but got a "message undeliverable - no such address here" back.

Zuiko
18th October 2011, 11:26 AM
Just tried to send my entry, but got a "message undeliverable - no such address here" back.

I know, I've rigged it so that mine is the only one that gets through! :p :D

As if I'd do such a thing. :o

Looks like another job for Ian, no rest for the wicked! *laugh

Ian
18th October 2011, 11:46 AM
Ian,

Are we emailing full size images or is there a maximum size specified (e.g. 800x600).

I'm guessing it's full size, just thinking about the download time your end!

Also, is there any time limit on how old a photo is? Does it have to be within a recent period or can it be, say, two years old?

Thanks.

As the images could potentially be printed, full resolution is required.

Ian

Ian
18th October 2011, 11:49 AM
Sorry about that! The competitions@e-group.uk.net mailbox should now be working. It's competitionS plural, not competition - my bad!

One entry per person please.

Ian

Ian
20th October 2011, 02:11 PM
Sorry about that! The competitions@e-group.uk.net mailbox should now be working. It's competitionS plural, not competition - my bad!

One entry per person please.

Ian

It's been suggested that if you feel you have more than one image you would like to have a chance of being featured in the book, we should allow additional images to be submitted. I think this is a good idea, but to avoid over-complication, only one image should be nominated per entrant for the competition's main prize. So by all means submit more than one image but please indicate clearly which image is for the main competition.

Ian

PS We've only received two entries so far!

StephenL
20th October 2011, 02:31 PM
Ian, you said that all entries would be acknowledged. I sent mine in but have not had an ack yet. Am I one of the two?

Ian
20th October 2011, 02:51 PM
Yes, Stephen - you're the 50% :)

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
20th October 2011, 05:35 PM
I sent a piccy. 33% chance now right! :cool:

Mar
20th October 2011, 06:17 PM
Nice,
I sent mine, so it's 25% now ;)

biggles3
20th October 2011, 07:21 PM
Hi - the rules state that there's no restriction on make or type of lens - does that allow us to submit a photo taken with a non-Micro4/3 lens, eg a Tamron 55B via an adapter or a 4/3 type?

Aniseedvan
20th October 2011, 07:54 PM
Have submitted one - I hope there will be a chance to look at the book somehow if we don't win - I have a Pentax friend at work, and a forum he subscribes to published a book - it was fascinating looking through at all of the disparate photos.

meach
21st October 2011, 12:30 AM
Now I'm a little confused!! Today I received two emails, both of which state:

The first is aimed at Olympus Pen and other Micro Four Thirds camera users using Olympus m.Zuiko lenses.You can find full details here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17394

The second is for Olympus E-System DSLR users and other Four Thirds DSLR photographers using Zuiko Digital lenses. Details are here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/10/update_olympus_esystem_fans_this_competition_is_fo r_you.php

yet the rules for the first state Pens only (rule 4).

I'm not thinking of entering but perhaps this needs clarifying?

Ian
21st October 2011, 08:17 AM
Hi - the rules state that there's no restriction on make or type of lens - does that allow us to submit a photo taken with a non-Micro4/3 lens, eg a Tamron 55B via an adapter or a 4/3 type?

Yes, you can use a Pen with any lens as this is one of the advantages of a Pen camera - with adapters you can use all sorts of lenses. But in this case you would need to use a Pen and not, say, a Panasonic Lumix body. A Lumix body would be OK used with an Olympus m.Zuiko lens. So there has to be an Olympus Micro Four Thirds element to the equipment used in terms of body or lens or both.

Ian

Ian
21st October 2011, 08:17 AM
Now I'm a little confused!! Today I received two emails, both of which state:

The first is aimed at Olympus Pen and other Micro Four Thirds camera users using Olympus m.Zuiko lenses.You can find full details here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17394

The second is for Olympus E-System DSLR users and other Four Thirds DSLR photographers using Zuiko Digital lenses. Details are here:

http://fourthirds-user.com/2011/10/update_olympus_esystem_fans_this_competition_is_fo r_you.php

yet the rules for the first state Pens only (rule 4).

I'm not thinking of entering but perhaps this needs clarifying?

Yes, that was a mistake and it has been corrected. Sorry!

Ian

Ulfric M Douglas
21st October 2011, 08:54 AM
...I sent mine, so it's 25% now ;)
So only around 14 million of us need to send ours in to get near the chances for the national lottery ... easy peasy.

Ian
21st October 2011, 05:50 PM
It has to be said that we have had a lot more entries for the E-System competition compared to the Micro Four Thirds One...

Come on Pen users or Lumix users who use Oly lenses - we need your pictures! :)

Ian

Aniseedvan
21st October 2011, 06:27 PM
Hi, are you still acknowledging each entry?

If so I am wondering if mine is stuck on it's outbound journey!

Aniseedvan
21st October 2011, 06:33 PM
Hi, are you still acknowledging each entry?

If so I am wondering if mine is stuck on it's outbound journey!

Scratch that, reply just came through :)

Zuiko
21st October 2011, 06:58 PM
It has to be said that we have had a lot more entries for the E-System competition compared to the Micro Four Thirds One...

Come on Pen users or Lumix users who use Oly lenses - we need your pictures! :)

Ian

Good! The less the merrier! :D

Seriously, it's a great prize and a good chance to at least have your picture(s) in a book. I think there are quite a few MFT users on here now, so get those entries in, guys.

Or is everyone disheartened by the fact that Shirley might get a Pen in time for the competition deadline! :D

stevednp3
23rd October 2011, 05:17 PM
Just sent mine in :D Good Luck everyone

FlemmingS
24th October 2011, 10:45 AM
Just sent in a photo in full resolution Saturday, but I haven't reciewed any conformation ?
I wonder if I have mised something regarding the rules ?

Sorry: I sent in a photo to the Four-thirds competition not the PEN (But I will probably try)

Ian
24th October 2011, 04:35 PM
I'm doing confirmations in batches - they are not automated. This is because so many people haven't read the rules! - so I have to write back to ask them to re-send their entries :)

Ian

Ian
24th October 2011, 04:37 PM
The Pen competition continues to received a fraction of the entries that the E-System one is getting. Quite surprising really. Of course that does mean that statistically it's going to be easier to win of course...

Ian

Zuiko
24th October 2011, 05:11 PM
The Pen competition continues to received a fraction of the entries that the E-System one is getting. Quite surprising really. Of course that does mean that statistically it's going to be easier to win of course...

Ian

I think that shows most long-standing Olympus users still prefer a DSLR and migration to MFT is still slow amongst the membership here.

Pens are probably being bought more by erstwhile casual photographers stepping up from a compact or users of heavier DSLR systems who want a lightweight kit to supplement their old back-breakers.

I hope all who do enter also send some additional images purely for use in the book as obviously we want to make the book a success!

Ulfric M Douglas
24th October 2011, 07:01 PM
The Pen competition continues to received a fraction of the entries that the E-System one is getting. Quite surprising really.
I can explain at least part of this.
I take loads of pictures with both e-DSLRs and Pens.
I can only enter the Pen competition from here, even though this is still a predominantly DSLR forum. :confused:
In order to enter the DSLR competition I'd have to register (or try, again) for the horribly laid-out and "less British" other forum, which I attempted to do maybe a year ago. It just didn't happen. So that's why at least you don't have a DSLR entry from me. Maybe there are others in a similar situation.

On a related note ;
Your have the Pen and DSLR competitions available for the (kind of) opposite populations of forum members. Interesting, but seems accidentally designed to dodge the most applicants.

meach
24th October 2011, 07:40 PM
In order to enter the DSLR competition I'd have to register (or try, again) for the horribly laid-out and "less British" other forum

That was fixed earlier this year - see this thread:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14715&page=1

and it now works exactly the same as this site

Zuiko
24th October 2011, 08:18 PM
I can explain at least part of this.
I take loads of pictures with both e-DSLRs and Pens.
I can only enter the Pen competition from here, even though this is still a predominantly DSLR forum. :confused:
In order to enter the DSLR competition I'd have to register (or try, again) for the horribly laid-out and "less British" other forum, which I attempted to do maybe a year ago. It just didn't happen. So that's why at least you don't have a DSLR entry from me. Maybe there are others in a similar situation.

On a related note ;
Your have the Pen and DSLR competitions available for the (kind of) opposite populations of forum members. Interesting, but seems accidentally designed to dodge the most applicants.

Ulfric, we're getting plenty of DSLR entries, despite not getting one from you. We're short of Pen entries. :)

Graham_of_Rainham
24th October 2011, 10:15 PM
Good! The less the merrier! :D

Seriously, it's a great prize and a good chance to at least have your picture(s) in a book. I think there are quite a few MFT users on here now, so get those entries in, guys.

Or is everyone disheartened by the fact that Shirley might get a Pen in time for the competition deadline! :D

As is my way, I have entered a very "different" type of image, so your odds on winning should not have gone down...:D

Unless that is, the judge is one of those that appreciates "la différence" :cool:

Zuiko
24th October 2011, 11:38 PM
As is my way, I have entered a very "different" type of image, so your odds on winning should not have gone down...:D

Unless that is, the judge is one of those that appreciates "la différence" :cool:

Often it's the different image that catches the judge's eye. From experience I know that I'm pretty hopeless at selecting competition entries so I'll settle for a picture in the book. :D

BJS
25th October 2011, 02:37 AM
Hi, Does it matter the size of the image to mailed in? Are you looking for full resolution in JPEG format or do we need to reduce the resolution? I only ask, because most images will be between 5-12 mb per picture. I just want to make sure I send it correctly.

Thanks

BJS

BJS
25th October 2011, 02:52 AM
Ok, the total file size was 5 mg, so I sent full resolution. Thanks

BJS

Bryso
26th October 2011, 01:56 PM
Hi guys, my entry is on the other site, as I'm an E system user, but looking forward to seeing the results from both comps, when will results be published?

Cheers Bryan

Ian
26th October 2011, 03:21 PM
We will be sifting through the entries next week - the deadline is midnight on Monday - and I hope we can reveal a winner the following week so we can get the book design done and printed before the end of November.

Ian

sparky_335
26th October 2011, 09:30 PM
I sent an image last night but have not had a response yet. Unfortunately the email address it was sent from was not my registered one (although they both end up in the same place).

Should I still expect one? Hopefully I will still get in the book at the very least.

Neil

Bryso
26th October 2011, 09:53 PM
How many photo's are going into these books?, my aim is to try and get onto the E system book, just wondering what my chances are lol

angelpv
26th October 2011, 10:29 PM
Ian will send the mail with which I participate.
greetings

Ian
27th October 2011, 08:57 AM
How many photo's are going into these books?, my aim is to try and get onto the E system book, just wondering what my chances are lol

We haven't fixed the page count yet. To some extent, it depends on how many really good images we get :)

Olympus has an in-house printing facility and it will be designed in-house as well.

Ian

Vril_Ya
27th October 2011, 01:12 PM
A big hello to all forum members. I am new here and I submitted my entry today in the PEN category. Looking forward to see great pics taken by fellow PEN users.
Cheers! :)

DrC
29th October 2011, 11:00 AM
Have been lurking on and off for a while now. Finally decided to sign up because of this competition. I've entered an HDR pic, hope that's OK??

Good luck to everyone who's submitted a picture!

*chr

Zuiko
29th October 2011, 05:46 PM
Have been lurking on and off for a while now. Finally decided to sign up because of this competition. I've entered an HDR pic, hope that's OK??

Good luck to everyone who's submitted a picture!

*chr

Welcome DrC and good luck in the competition! :)

David M
29th October 2011, 06:11 PM
I've got a question.

Are two books going to be produced, one for the Pen shots and one for the E-System shots or are the best shots from each competition going to be combined in one book?

Zuiko
29th October 2011, 10:49 PM
I've got a question.

Are two books going to be produced, one for the Pen shots and one for the E-System shots or are the best shots from each competition going to be combined in one book?

Two books are going to be produced, one for Olympus Four Thirds DSLRs and one for Olympus Pens.

David M
29th October 2011, 11:03 PM
Two books are going to be produced, one for Olympus Four Thirds DSLRs and one for Olympus Pens.

That's what I understood. I just wondered if they would be combined into 1 book as Ian was saying there wasn't a lot of Pen entries while the mailbox for the E-System competition has been full for a while.

Andy M
30th October 2011, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I'm just sorting out my entry to the PEN competition and, as it's my first ever competition entry, I had a couple of queries I was hoping someone could help with?

First, I see it says full resolution is required for the entry so it can be potentially printed. I just wanted however to check if it was ok crop images, as long as they are still at the highest resolution possible?

Second, I've done a little work on a shot in Lightroom and I wanted to check that if I export the image that the EXIF data will still be intact and valid?

Final thing, do I need to do anything with the file naming to flag it as mine? At the moment they are all still in the raw camera sequential naming structure (e.g. P9100917.jpg).

Many thanks,
Andy

zerotiu
31st October 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm new here and just mail my photo :)

Ian
31st October 2011, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone - half term and friends staying with us from France = no Internet time. Sorry for that.

But I am now up to date in acknowledging all competition entries.

Entries must be in by midnight tonight UK time.

If there is a query about an attempted entry, then I can allow some extra time while we get the problem sorted out.

Ian

Andy M
31st October 2011, 04:44 PM
My entry has just finished sending so you should hopefully have something soon.

Thanks,
Andy

belpersnapper
5th November 2011, 07:23 PM
I have more Pen photos I can send if you need more for the book (obviously the entry for the competition is over so they wouldn't be eligible for that).

zerotiu
8th November 2011, 05:50 AM
When will the winner be announced? I've searched for the competition info but I haven't found it yet.

StephenL
8th November 2011, 07:33 AM
When will the winner be announced? I've searched for the competition info but I haven't found it yet.

Patience, Zerotui! :) These things take time. It's an important decision which needs to be made, and the competition has only been closed for a week.

Ian
8th November 2011, 10:05 AM
Hi guys, I'm a bit behind schedule. You haven't been forgotten!

Ian

Zuiko
8th November 2011, 11:05 AM
Depending upon the number of entries I would expect judging to take at least two weeks, particularly if there is more than one judge and they need to confer. It also takes time to properly view and assess the merits of every shot, draw up a shortlist then compare the strongest entries against each other to select an eventual winner. :)

Ian
10th November 2011, 02:16 PM
Here is an update: 130 valid entrants entered photos for the Pen/Micro Four Thirds competition. This does not include the extra photos for the book that are not for the competition. The short list will be completed by the end of the day and I'm hopeful that a winner will be selected by the end of tomorrow. Book entries won't be decided until next week.

Ian

StephenL
24th November 2011, 12:35 PM
Any update on progress? :)

DJMC
24th November 2011, 09:50 PM
Any update on progress? :)

D'you think he's accidentally deleted them all? :o

:D

snaarman
24th November 2011, 10:07 PM
D'you think he's accidentally deleted them all? :o

:D

Oooh, let's start again. This time I have a Pen so I can enter :)

StephenL
25th November 2011, 02:55 PM
Oooh, let's start again. This time I have a Pen so I can enter :)

Oh dear, that would b***er up the rest of us then!

DJMC
7th December 2011, 10:59 AM
:confused:

Did I win and you're all planning a surprise awards party for me at the Ritz?

:rolleyes:

StephenL
7th December 2011, 11:06 AM
I'm wondering if Ian is having to hold off these two competitions, which are of course sponsored by Olympus, because of the stushie going on at the moment. Maybe some of the judges are Olympus employees who are currently otherwise engaged?

DJMC
7th December 2011, 11:09 AM
I'm wondering if Ian is having to hold off these two competitions, which are of course sponsored by Olympus, because of the stushie going on at the moment. Maybe some of the judges are Olympus employees who are currently otherwise engaged?

If so, a brief spilling of the beans would be good before I go and splash out on a new tux!

;)

StephenL
7th December 2011, 11:13 AM
If so, a brief spilling of the beans would be good before I go and splash out on a new tux!

;)

Oh, you don't want to go spilling beans on a new falling-down suit!

DJMC
7th December 2011, 11:17 AM
Oh, you don't want to go spilling beans on a new falling-down suit!

...at least you didn't comment on the "splashing out"!

:eek:

StephenL
7th December 2011, 11:21 AM
...at least you didn't comment on the "splashing out"!

:eek:

You told me not to mention your wee problem. ;)

DJMC
7th December 2011, 11:23 AM
You told me not to mention your wee problem. ;)

Never could hold my drink....

I guess Ian will be coming along to clean up?

...this thread I mean.

:rolleyes:

zerotiu
7th December 2011, 06:51 PM
I like your photo Stephen. Damn! I always want to go to UK :( . Sorry if I'm not active at all in this forum :o

StephenL
7th December 2011, 07:00 PM
I like your photo Stephen. Damn! I always want to go to UK :( . Sorry if I'm not active at all in this forum :o
It's a good likeness! Just post whenever you want. You'll always be welcome. :D

Aniseedvan
7th December 2011, 08:41 PM

It would be nice to hear something, I'm new to the site, but when everything goes quiet you wonder if something has happened to the individual concerned which has put everything else in their life on hold. I'm hoping Stephen's suggestion is correct :)

Ross the fiddler
7th December 2011, 09:06 PM
It would be nice to hear something, I'm new to the site, but when everything goes quiet you wonder if something has happened to the individual concerned which has put everything else in their life on hold. I'm hoping Stephen's suggestion is correct :)

I had a look at DPNow & noticed Ian was posting there, so my guess is things are on hold till something becomes clearer with the future of Olympus.

jojonas
15th February 2012, 01:11 PM
any news since this? I don't usually lurk here so I'm thinking I might have missed something :)

Here is an update: 130 valid entrants entered photos for the Pen/Micro Four Thirds competition. This does not include the extra photos for the book that are not for the competition. The short list will be completed by the end of the day and I'm hopeful that a winner will be selected by the end of tomorrow. Book entries won't be decided until next week.

Ian

Ian
15th February 2012, 01:16 PM
any news since this? I don't usually lurk here so I'm thinking I might have missed something :)

You certainly did. See: http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18176

Can I ask a question? Why don't you spend more time here? What do we need to improve to captivate you?

Ian

jojonas
15th February 2012, 02:42 PM
thanks Ian! many good photos from the look of it :)

and to your question, I'm mostly a film guy (and I don't mean movies! :rolleyes:) so I spend most of my lurking time in filmwasters.com or on flickr where I have both.
you seem like a bright bunch though, I can enjoy reading but I don't feel that I can contribute much.

but things can change.. flickr ain't the best place for discussions (crap thread handling and searches) and I use 43romours only for reading.

Zuiko
15th February 2012, 07:53 PM
thanks Ian! many good photos from the look of it :)

and to your question, I'm mostly a film guy (and I don't mean movies! :rolleyes:) so I spend most of my lurking time in filmwasters.com or on flickr where I have both.
you seem like a bright bunch though, I can enjoy reading but I don't feel that I can contribute much.

but things can change.. flickr ain't the best place for discussions (crap thread handling and searches) and I use 43romours only for reading.

You can visit us as little or often as you wish, jojonas, you will always be welcome. You might be surprised to find how much you could contribute. *chr