PDA

View Full Version : Well there's a first!

f2uk
17th October 2011, 10:18 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this but ....

I attended my first camera course over the weekend. A bit of an advanced 'get to know your camera' type thing. It was bought for me as a birthday present and was part of a special deal so was very very inexpensive (in the region of 40 for the 2 days!)

Got to try out a full studio set up. I found it very interesting how you can control so much of the shot by just a slight change in the lighting set up. Need to do more of this *yes Along with some outdoor work, landscapes, animals ... including a completely mental 14 month old boxer who seemed to think turning back somersaults was what every dog does!

Anyway, that is all beside the point I want to make.
Chatting to the instructor at various points over the two days, discussing different techniques, settings, showing the images I had captured and the standard 'What do you shoot with/why/what is best' resulted in her saying ..... she was amazed at the capabilities of the camera I use in all the situations we have set up and worked with, and I would be mad to switch'

It's the first time I have ever come across someone not telling me I should switch to one of the big names!

*chr

..... now I just need to go through the 800 pictures taken!

p.s. I was shooting with an E30, 14-42, 70-300 and my favourite 14-54 MkII

Zuiko
17th October 2011, 01:40 PM
She's not wrong! :D

gregles
17th October 2011, 01:44 PM
Now that is very encouraging:)

Really missing my E30, still saving to send it off to oly for repair. Any details of the course provider please?

Greg

f2uk
17th October 2011, 02:21 PM
Now that is very encouraging:)

Really missing my E30, still saving to send it off to oly for repair. Any details of the course provider please?

Greg

The provider is Isabel at IB Imagery (http://www.ibimagery.com)

She runs these courses at various times, probably when other bookings are slow.
Maximum of three people, I dropped on lucky as one guy didn't turn up so there was only to of us.
Answered any questions we had and set up some good execises for us to try out in the studio. We got chance to set up our own lighting for shots and she let us make mistakes rather than just stop us, which I think was a good thing. Gave us chance to see and understand why a particular set up wouldn't work rather than just taking her word for it. She also tailors the course for the competancy of the people there, so I can only assume she takes this into account when booking people in to make sure you don't get a complete novice with an expert.

When you consider the deal I got on this I think it was great value for money
for my level of photography and I am pleased with the knowledge I have taken away from the weekend :)

gregles
17th October 2011, 03:40 PM
Sounds really good and Blackpool is within travelling distance;)

Thanks very much

Greg:)

Phill D
17th October 2011, 08:38 PM
Wow 40 for 2 days of what sounds like pretty personal tuition and studio work too. That sounds like a real bargain. Last year I paid 69 for a days course just covering outdoor composition and thought that was a good deal.

f2uk
17th October 2011, 10:34 PM
Wow 40 for 2 days of what sounds like pretty personal tuition and studio work too. That sounds like a real bargain. Last year I paid 69 for a days course just covering outdoor composition and thought that was a good deal.

I think it was one of those right place, right time situations. Just makes a change I was in both!
If you look at the website the normal rate is 120 for the two days ..... not sure about prices at other places but for 1:2 tuition it might not be that bad.

Phill D
18th October 2011, 05:42 AM
There were about 7 or 8 of us on the course I went on so for a 1:2 ratio I'd say it was pretty good.

f2uk
18th October 2011, 11:44 AM
There were about 7 or 8 of us on the course I went on so for a 1:2 ratio I'd say it was pretty good.

Sounds like I did get a good deal! *chr

Ian
18th October 2011, 11:59 AM
I know I have been talking about this for ages, but I'm pretty close to formally offering a range of courses, if there are enough takers. Subjects for each course, which would be 1-day, including a light lunch and refreshments:

Get the most out of your Olympus DSlR

Get the most out of your Olympus Pen compact system camera

Discover the brilliance of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

These courses are all aimed at people who have got to a certain basic level of expertise but wish to step up to the next level.

If you are interested in any of these courses, which will be held at our office in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead, please let me know. I'm looking at dates from mid-end November and early December.

More details to come. Prices not yet fixed.

Ian