PDA

View Full Version : noise filtering

Bryso
17th October 2011, 01:06 AM
OK just getting to grips with my new toys(be gental I'm new to oly) so i shoot raw, and have these new features called noise reduction and noise filter, so what is the general consensus do switch everything on or off, does it matter if i shoot raw, your help from experienced Oly users is very appreciated *chr

Bryso
17th October 2011, 01:34 AM
heres a picture i took with my E5, iso 1600, does this look about right, I'm getting worked up about setting, never had these things to worry about lol, i like things simple :o
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/503/thumbs/isotest.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=39885)

Nick Temple-Fry
17th October 2011, 01:43 AM
Noise Reduction and Noise filter are actually two very different things.

Noise Reduction is 'dark frame subtraction' - the camera takes your shot and then with the shutter closed takes a second picture (with the same exposure time), anything bright in the second shot is assumed to be noise and taken away from the first before the raw file is saved. Generally a good thing on e-system cameras so leave set to auto unless you are forced not to (say rapid shots in the dark of a fleeing burglar).

Noise filter is applied to the creation of jpegs/tiffs etc in camera (though the camera settings will also be used by Olympus Viewer in raw conversion), really it's a matter of taste as to how much you apply.

Nick

theMusicMan
17th October 2011, 06:42 AM
Very well explained, Nick. But... at 3:30 in the morning... ?? :)

snaarman
17th October 2011, 07:15 AM
Very well explained, Nick. But... at 3:30 in the morning... ?? :)

He was obviously waiting for a 2 hour time exposure shot with Noise Reduction to finish...

Bikie John
17th October 2011, 07:56 AM
What Nick said, plus ....

The E's all produce noise at high ISOs, but in the E-5 it is very well controlled. The in-camera JPEGs do a very good job of suppressing it, but it is still there in the raw files (as indeed it should be, it's what raw files are for). With the E-5 it is amenable to cleaning up in Photoshop's raw processor - I often find that a luminance noice setting of around 50 cleans it up nicely without losing too much detail. As Nick says, how much you apply is very much a matter of personal taste.

Ciao ... John

Zuiko
17th October 2011, 09:08 AM
Really need a 100% crop to judge noise on screen - unless there's lots of it, which clearly there isn't in this case. Technically, I think it looks good and aesthetically it's a lovely picture, too, although obviously that's nothing to do with the camera! What do you think of it, and how does it compare to your Canons?

Bryso
17th October 2011, 12:09 PM
I'm delighted with how the image looks, a 100% crop on my 5d mk2 would still show noise, but not asmuch, I've also
Noticed if I load my pictures into the oly software and save to jpeg, even doing nothing then noise is much less:confused:, I'm not really a high iso shooter, but at weddings I'm forced into it for a little bit of the day, but what settings for noise should I be using, nr on, off, auto? I'm assuming noise filter should be off as I want my images sharp as they can be, I use lightroom for noise reduction , or is there a better method

Also my E5 has Is built in , so I need to experiment with this, if I can lower my iso and lower my shutter then I woulnt need particularly high iso, a play in the house is coming on lol

Ps loved using my E-5 very light, and a joy to shoot on, still need a good oly flash gun,

Cheers Bryan

Nick Temple-Fry
17th October 2011, 12:36 PM
but what settings for noise should I be using, nr on, off, auto?

Have it set to auto, as the book says it will only engage at long shutter speeds - far too long for hand held.

ON - makes it happen for every shot. And OFF means it never happens.

Not sure what the definition of a 'long shutter speed is', mayhaps somebody knows.

Nick

meach
17th October 2011, 12:49 PM
Not sure what the definition of a 'long shutter speed is', mayhaps somebody knows.

I'm fairly sure I've read on here that it's two seconds. No doubt if I'm wrong someone will put me right.

Zuiko
17th October 2011, 01:36 PM
Although the noise filter is not applied to the raw file in camera, if you use Olympus software to process the whatever the camera settin was is applied at this stage, although you can overule this. My personal view is to shoot with it off then remove noise to your taste in software.

I use Nik Dfine 2 which lets you apply different amounts of noise removal in various parts of the image by use of control points. This was shot at ISO 3200 on my E-3. I used light noise removal on the face, because it was well lit and well exposed, but much heavier in the shadows where there is no detail to lose anyway.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/SURVIVAL_COURSE_079_e_NR_c_r_s1.jpg

Bryso
17th October 2011, 04:25 PM
would anyone like a copy of my raw file, that they could process and talk me through what they do, that would be extremely helpful *chr

cheers Bryan

Zuiko
17th October 2011, 11:37 PM
would anyone like a copy of my raw file, that they could process and talk me through what they do, that would be extremely helpful *chr

cheers Bryan

Bryan, PM sent :)

Phill D
18th October 2011, 05:27 AM
John that's a fabulous shot of the boy and fire and at 3200 iso too. Noise is probably better than I get at 800. The shot itself is of more interest though for me at the moment as it's a very nice use of light and dark. My daughter is doing an A level Art project about Joseph Wright and that shot is very reminiscent of some of his paintings.

jamie allan
18th October 2011, 08:21 AM
John,
That's a cracking shot.

Ian
18th October 2011, 04:51 PM
ISO 6400 on the new Pens is just about usable if you really need it:

http://e-group.uk.net/files/forum_images/PA130183.jpg
E-PL3 ISO 6400

This example is from the camera JPEG with noise filter set to standard. I couldn't match this by processing a RAW version of the same image, by the way.

I think ISO 12800 doesn't really work well enough in very low light but might be OK for upping the shutter speed in moderately low light.

Ian

tommy781
18th October 2011, 04:56 PM
I take this photo in theater with e-5+50-200SWD at iso 2000 in raw mode and I use Viewer to developed it. In general I use the noise filter on standard mode to 3200 iso, then on high mode but with lightroom I have check that the control of colours noise is better.